Teirin respawns (again)

Teirin

Hi all, I have largely fallen off the wagon lately.  I haven't been getting enough exercise, I've been eating rather too many sweets, and I'm wasting money on cabs more than strictly necessary.  I'm not in bad shape, but I'm trending in a direction I shouldn't.  Sticking to the basics this time, because I clearly need to relearn/rebuild them.

Goal 1 - Do not be lazy (X/5)

Walk to work unless the weather is awful or my lungs are in bad shape.

Goal 2 - Limit sweets. (X/7)

Do not eat anything not on my acceptable sweets list and eat those only in small portions.

Acceptable list:  dark chocolate, sweetened Greek yogurt, my homemade reduced sugar muffins, a bit of honey on oatmeal if I'm eating it with tart fruit.

Goal 3 - Rebuild the workout habit (X/3)

Do something, even if small, 3 times/week.

Goal 4 - Rebuild the NF habit (X/7)

Check in daily, either noting on my thread or visiting someone else.

Because it wouldn't be one of my challenges without music:

• Like 6

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

The current status of things.

Health: not great but not bad either. 

• I had the cold for two weeks (including a week with no voice), which gave me a sinus infection and constant headaches.  I'm now covered in hives from an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin prescribed to treat the infection.  Been three crappy weeks. On the upside, Benadryl no longer makes me really stoned.*
  • Found that I have 58.7% (est.) odds of developing Primary Billiary Cirrhosis because I'm a daughter of someone with it.  19/20 people with it are female so I have rather higher odds than my brother.  Oddly, my Dad has it, not my Mom.  He's the token male at his local support group.  I've fucked up better odds than that.  If caught early, it's just a daily medication, Cal/VitD supplement, and twice annual bloodwork for the rest of my life.  Catching it later gets steadily more serious.  I have an appt to talk about this with my Dr and he will likely refer me for some bloodwork so they have a baseline to compare later.  Onset is apparently 50 +/- 11 years and I am 37 so this should be a good time.  Also, love the Canadian healthcare system.
  • Otherwise doing a decent job of avoiding the rest of the crap in the family medical history, but need to get back on track with exercise.  Literally.
  • Eating lots of veg and fruit, decent protein, lowish carbs, just too many sweets of late.

Financial:  Actually pretty great.

• I am now under 5k in debt (none on CC, low interest LoC and SL only) and on schedule to pay it off by ~September, barring any major emergency expenditures.
  • I have sunk some money into some improvements.  I now have a proper computer desk and chair.  It is awesome and my shoulder is in better shape now <3  The kitties are also pleased with it. 
  • Spending a bit much on music/concert DVDs right now but it's a good year for music so far and it makes me happy.  See below.

Mental:  Improving.

• Q4 was not a good time.  I stopped dealing with a fair bit.  Things are better now.
  • I'm scheduling 4 weeks of vacation this year.  That should help.
  • I've been reading more.  Found a trilogy I loved.  Also, all the good music.
  • Sleep is sometimes good, sometimes not good.  I am sleeping at least 5 hours even on bad nights.

* The last time I took Benadryl was about a decade or so ago.  I was missing words from my sentences, one pupil was dilated huge, the other was a pinpoint. Highlander 2 still made no sense.

This cover made me giggle.  I liked Meg.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Congrats on being below 5k! That's great.

Four weeks of vacation? <3 Way to go.

If it was that cold here, I'd  not be walking to work either. Course, I'm not walking (or riding) to work anyway. It's too cold. :D

Josh and I both liked the Kamelot video.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Teirin said:

Walk to work unless the weather is awful or my lungs are in bad shape.

Are you wrapped up warm? Do you have ten layers? Enough scarf to wrap six times around the neck and lower face? Do you need a hat? A haramaki?

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

Congrats on being below 5k! That's great.

Four weeks of vacation? <3 Way to go.

If it was that cold here, I'd  not be walking to work either. Course, I'm not walking (or riding) to work anyway. It's too cold. :D

Josh and I both liked the Kamelot video.

Thanks!  I've been accumulating too much vacation time for a few years.  Trying to catch up this year. 

I don't walk when it's really cold either.  I have a cutoff after which it's cabbing time.

Yay!  Glad you liked it!

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Are you wrapped up warm? Do you have ten layers? Enough scarf to wrap six times around the neck and lower face? Do you need a hat? A haramaki?

Yes, I have all the winter gear :-)  My walk to work includes a moderately steep hill that takes ~15 min to walk up.  Total walk is about 25 min.  Normally not a problem, but if it's cold and my lungs are in bad shape it does get difficult.  I think I set myself back a few days on recovering from the cold when I decided to walk anyway one morning.  That haramaki is tempting though.  Had to google it.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

On 2/12/2018 at 4:03 PM, Mistr said:

Welcome back!

I'm glad to hear that many things are going well for you. Getting out of debt is huge. I envy you your healthcare system. I hope you don't have to use it much.

Are you still playing Rising Heroes?  How is the guitar playing going?

Thanks!  Yes.  I hope to not use it much either, but knowing it is there is very reassuring. 

Guitar playing is not going right now :-/  I'm still on Rising Heroes.  RH has been on a bit of a slump the last 2 months, likely due to the need for a new or additional writer.  I'll see if it perks back up.   

Did well yesterday:  walked to work, low sweets, stretched before bed.  Went to bed early!  Which backfired as much as it usually does.  The earlier I get to bed, the less sleep I end up getting. 

Today went less well.  Hope I get more sleep tonight.

Giant ice sheet got knocked down off one of the entrances.  We were all watching that one rather closely.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, hey there! Welcome back. Glad to see that things are back toward normal.

Sorry to hear that sleep is being difficult. :( I need work with that myself.

What are you thinking for workouts at this point?

Thanks :-)   Sleep is generally ok, as long as I try to sleep as close to my preferred hours as possible.  Mostly I'm just bitter when people crack out "Just go to bed earlier!" like it's the answer to everything. 

I'll probably do the same round of BWF with a side of yoga, and running when outside is not covered in ice.  It's not exciting but it's something.  I may revisit one of Nia Shank's recommended workouts again, of the r/BWF recommended routine.  Work is moving soon, so I'll check for something new downtown too.

Yesterday:  did not walk to work, behaved with the sweets, checked in.  No workout yet.  I was drained after the crap night of sleep. 

Today:  sleep was much better, after I stayed up and hour late, then slept nice and deeply.  Eh, it helped.  Walked to work, behaved with sugar, checked in.  Worked late but Got Shit Done.

Current tally

Walking: 2/5

Sweets: 3/7

Workouts: 0/3

Check in:  3/7

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Getting most everything done except workouts :-/  Hermitting some this weekend.  Especially tonight.

Excitement for the weekend:  I was at the laundromat pulling clothes out of the washer and heard a flutter.  Then there was a small parrot on my shoulder.  I was rather startled as this is a first for me.  She was a sweet and friendly little bird, companion to a very kind older man who comes in.  She apparently rides around on his shoulder when he comes over sometimes.  That was neat!

• Like 6

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Self-care bucket mission:  I need to list three things to do today. 

1. Taxes - easier than they sound.  Should take me ~30 min

2. Put together my tower

3. Wipe out the lower cabinets so they can be used.  Don't worry about the corner one for now. 

Bonus:  read!  I just started the Wizard of Earthsea.  Good so far!

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Later perspective: Go do things on you to-do list is *really* not self care.  I got my taxes ready to submit but didn't get the others done.  Otherwise I reverted to my original plan for my stat holiday today:  Sleep in, play video games in PJs and eat good food.  Pet cats a lot.  Those got done.  I have a lap cat right now.  Time to head for bed. 

Got reminded of stuff I watched as a kid:

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

The cats were def. in favor of that plan.

Current status:

• Food - Excellent!  I am actually doing even better than planned.
  • Walking - stat holiday Monday, cabbed today and yesterday due to awful sidewalks.  We had rain on ice, and then freezing rain on ice.  It was not safe to walk up the hill. No penalty for this.
  • Check-ins - Ok so far.  Bit limited.
  • Workouts - None.  Crap. 
  • Sleep - bad and affecting work.  I have crap focus. 

We are seeing Black Panther tomorrow (excited!) and I have been reminded of how awesome Danmachi: Sword Oratoria was.  Trailer below.  Watch it if you can.  Ep 3 of Punisher was fantastic!  That was the ep where this became a Need-to-see show.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

On 2/22/2018 at 2:34 PM, Kishi said:

Danmachi looks interesting but I really haven't had the time to get into anything beyond Ancient Magus' Bride and Darling in the FranXX. Is it any good?

It is!  It's set in a city around a huge dungeon.  The characters are aware that they have levels and skills but they aren't doing the "people trapped in a game" trope.  It's just their world.  One of the neat things about this is that the main Danmachi series is more like the spinoff of Danmachi: Sword Oratoria.  D:SO has the larger overarching plotline that shows the background to the events in Danmachi.  The two series have fairly different feels to them but complement each other well.  Danmachi is smaller scale with a rookie adventurer, D:SO shows the higher level operations.   They were both really good.  I would recommend watching Danmachi S1 first, then D:SO.  A second season and movie just got announced for Danmachi as well. 

Today was not great goal-wise. 

Sleep: I did sleep well for the first time in a week! 

Walking:  Ended up cabbing to work as I was late from trying to sort something out with a government agency.  I am counting the penalty on this one, but I hate to deal with that stuff at work and the call center has limited hours.  Bleh.

Work: was bonkers and I was stressed.  Working tomorrow too. 

Food:   Yesterday was good.  I ate some junk chocolate tonight.  So penalty on that one too.  Non-treat food has been excellent lately still.

Check in:  sorted today and yesterday

Workout:  Shame.....

I ordered the first three books in The Culture series by Iain Banks.  It's been on my to-read list a while and the first book is being adapted into a TV series by Amazon.  I need to catch up on some TV SF.  Super-tired, off to bed.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

On 2/19/2018 at 9:08 PM, Teirin said:

Go do things on you to-do list is *really* not self care. 

This is true, but not doing them is not self care, either. I don't know how to square that circle.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:08 PM, Teirin said:

Otherwise I reverted to my original plan for my stat holiday today:  Sleep in, play video games in PJs and eat good food.  Pet cats a lot. 

I want your life.

Black Panther looks seriously good.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I mean, I'd say some clemency is in order here. You had a time limit to get things done for your job, so you needed to cab. That stuff sometimes has to trump the fitness goals, especially since it's tied to a paycheck which in turn is tied to how well you get to eat and gym and all that kind of stuff. And the food has trended in a good direction rather than a bad lately, so that's good news. It doesn't seem like you have an underlying pathology here or anything like that, so. A frustrating day, but the feeling doesn't change the fact that you're in a good place. Meanwhile, hey, good sleep!

Of course, the training still has to get back into order, but that's life, right? Shoot, as someone who tends toward being pretty religious in his training, I'd say I've probably got a poor balance too. It's always a struggle, but I'mma continue to believe in you and your ability to sort this out.

12 hours ago, Teirin said:

It is!  It's set in a city around a huge dungeon.  The characters are aware that they have levels and skills but they aren't doing the "people trapped in a game" trope.  It's just their world.  One of the neat things about this is that the main Danmachi series is more like the spinoff of Danmachi: Sword Oratoria.  D:SO has the larger overarching plotline that shows the background to the events in Danmachi.  The two series have fairly different feels to them but complement each other well.  Danmachi is smaller scale with a rookie adventurer, D:SO shows the higher level operations.   They were both really good.  I would recommend watching Danmachi S1 first, then D:SO.  A second season and movie just got announced for Danmachi as well. 

Sweet! I'll take a look into it then.

12 hours ago, Teirin said:

I ordered the first three books in The Culture series by Iain Banks.  It's been on my to-read list a while and the first book is being adapted into a TV series by Amazon.  I need to catch up on some TV SF.  Super-tired, off to bed.

If you like, The Expanse is a pretty awesome series. I haven't read the books, but the series itself seems to be pretty good on its own without the additional knowledge. It's a lot of harder sci fi and even though it takes place in the Sol system, it still does a wonderful job of being vast and complicated. Definitely recommend.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

This is true, but not doing them is not self care, either. I don't know how to square that circle.

I want your life.

Black Panther looks seriously good.

I spend very few days like that, so I am very protective of them when they do happen :-)  Having the never ending to do list intrude on one made me rather grumpy.

It was fantastic!!!!  You should see it!   It was so well done!

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

I mean, I'd say some clemency is in order here. You had a time limit to get things done for your job, so you needed to cab. That stuff sometimes has to trump the fitness goals, especially since it's tied to a paycheck which in turn is tied to how well you get to eat and gym and all that kind of stuff. And the food has trended in a good direction rather than a bad lately, so that's good news. It doesn't seem like you have an underlying pathology here or anything like that, so. A frustrating day, but the feeling doesn't change the fact that you're in a good place. Meanwhile, hey, good sleep!

Of course, the training still has to get back into order, but that's life, right? Shoot, as someone who tends toward being pretty religious in his training, I'd say I've probably got a poor balance too. It's always a struggle, but I'mma continue to believe in you and your ability to sort this out.

Sweet! I'll take a look into it then.

If you like, The Expanse is a pretty awesome series. I haven't read the books, but the series itself seems to be pretty good on its own without the additional knowledge. It's a lot of harder sci fi and even though it takes place in the Sol system, it still does a wonderful job of being vast and complicated. Definitely recommend.

You make a good argument, and I walked to work for overtime today so I'll cancel it out there. 

sooon, I swear.  Tomorrow is pretty busy but I will try to get something done.

I hope you like it.  It was much better than I expected.

Just picked up the first Expanse book on sale.  I definitely want to read and see it, but have been waiting as we may have watched it as a group.  Hasn't happened yet :-/  Thanks for the rec!  Reviews have been very good, but ones from people I know count a lot more.

Sleep was reasonable another night so things are still good there.  Food was back to normal today.  No excess junk.  My weight is up right now, but that's probably just still period bloat.  Got a lot of walking in, and some overtime. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I'm late to the party...sounds like we've had similar issues regarding sweets, workouts, and checking in on NF. Here's to getting back on track :D 

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda