• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GregT.

Getting the Love train on track, well the correct siding anyway.

ODIN!

Well a new challenge is here.  All I can say about 2018 so far is the Whole30 is great and I now have a large volume of information of what I should not do.  In light of all of this I am going to put down some challenged that are 100% doable and 100% need to be done.

In the past month, I have lost 10lbs, 4.5 kg.  I have seen 3 inches melt off my waist and I felt pretty good.  I also felt tired all the time, my sleep was a mess and I have now fallen into some old habits that got me in a bad way to begin with.  I have recognized these things and I am here to stop them.

GOALS!

I am going to do a mini-discipline challenge:  I am going to wake up every morning at 0430. 

I will weigh in each morning and do a waist measurement.  I will develop a spreadsheet for this and insert the numbers daily.

I am going to do some exercise each morning when I wake up.  I have a set of things I am doing now, roman chair, TRX squats and other similar exercises  but will also open this up to doing walks.

I will Eat Whole 30 99%.  What I mean by this is I am going to relax some of the do not eat.  I have determined that small amounts of bread, and dairy are not detrimental to my health.  Therefore if I order a Caesar Salad and it has croutons and parmesan cheese on it, I can still eat it.  I will not eat garlic bread or sandwiches. 

I am going to Eat portions.  This means I will portion out my food, and that is it.  no extra, no second serving.  No I'm still a little hungry and I will have a handful of nuts.  The only exception to this is if I do not eat all of a meal, I can save it and finish it later.

I am going to emphasize batch cooking.  I have seen that it is easier for me to maintain a balance on portions when I batch cook.  If I have food ready to go I am less likely to prepare more than I need.  It also makes it easy to have food ready to take to events like Thursday night gaming night.

Update NF and MFP everyday.  I have a 155 day streak on MFP right now, I need to keep that going.  I have been terrible of late keeping up on NF and even posting on my own thread.  I need to start controlling my life more.  I have had a bit of Ranger Brain and have been very social IRL.  This has had other consequences as well.  I need to limit my IRL social outings to make them more meaningful as well as allow for keeping up with what I need to do to stay healthy.

Go to bed by 2030 on work night, unless it is a scheduled event.  Examples would be Thursday game night, Dance classes or planned theater event.  My Social life IRL has been a serious problem with  this.  I am either out with people, or texting with them until late at night.  I need to stop it.  If they cannot understand why I am AFK after 2030, then maybe I should eliminate them from my life. 

Figure out what my actual lifestyle is sedentary, moderate or active.  I am still not seeing the weight loss I would expect from my activity levels and what I am eating.  Right now I am averaging 1600 calories a day and I am not seeing any real loss. 

I am going to put pictures of all new meals on NF.  Since I am cooking batches, it may only be a few a week, but I want a visual record of what I am making.

That's it.  I believe I can accomplish all of these in this challenge.  I hope to hear from you and that I can get this done.

• Like 9

Following!  Looking forward to the batch cooking ideas because I will be implementing this once I am back from holiday

15 minutes ago, GregT. said:

If they cannot understand why I am AFK after 2030

I had to look up AFK, I had never come across this acronym before

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Following! 

I'm amazed to hear you're not losing on 1600 calories a day. I know @jonfirestar eats considerably more (2700 ish, I wanna say?) and still loses so maybe your calorie goal is far too low? Perhaps he can give you some advice here?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I had to look up AFK, I had never come across this acronym before

I am just showing my age then lol.  Probably never heard of COK either then. 

24 minutes ago, deftona said:

I'm amazed to hear you're not losing on 1600 calories a day.

This  has been one of my major concerns over the past months.  When I bring up in my challenges that I am not seeing the weight loss I want, and I blow it off as not that important, it is not like I am eating much.  If anyone has an idea of what is going on, I would be willing to listen and try something different.  I was just soldiering on hoping that whatever resistance I had would finally break and it would start melting off.   Take a look at my MFP if you wish I have over 150 days on there.

And thanks for both of you following.  I got to do something t make it more lively here.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GregT. said:

32 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Nope.  It even took a while to look it up on Google

Image result for u old gif

All I came up with was Cat on Keyboard and I assume that's not what you meant. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, deftona said:

All I came up with was Cat on Keyboard and I assume that's not what you meant. 

That's all I came up with too, but I assumed it was what he meant...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, deftona said:

All I came up with was Cat on Keyboard and I assume that's not what you meant

That  is exactly what I meant.  The other was AFK, Away from Keyboard.  Fr0m way back in the Billboard days, when chat was only real time :)  I ffeel like powering up my old 300 baud modem and seeing if I still have an old 286 somewhere.  :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's all I came up with too, but I assumed it was what he meant...

Ah, that just seemed weirdly specific to me. 

3 minutes ago, GregT. said:

That  is exactly what I meant.  The other was AFK, Away from Keyboard.  Fr0m way back in the Billboard days, when chat was only real time :)  

Let's all get our AIMs back. A/S/L? :D 

• Like 2

Just now, deftona said:

Ah, that just seemed weirdly specific to me. 

( in a old tymers whisper) Back in the olde days, you would lose packets when in a chat room or just bump your keyboard and would get gibberish like "kHFJFHHhw0"  and you would just put in COK, and people knew you had not one it on purpose.  Also, you needed to get a drink or use the toilet, you typed AFK when you were in a chat room or what not so that anyone typing you a question would know why you were not answering, it also gave you a place to go back to in the conversation stream to read what had gone on.  

We also tied an onion to our belt just because that was the style back then.

onion+stories.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GregT. said:

In the past month, I have lost 10lbs, 4.5 kg.  I have seen 3 inches melt off my waist and I felt pretty good.  I also felt tired all the time, my sleep was a mess and I have now fallen into some old habits that got me in a bad way to begin with.  I have recognized these things and I am here to stop them.

+

Figure out what my actual lifestyle is sedentary, moderate or active.  I am still not seeing the weight loss I would expect from my activity levels and what I am eating.  Right now I am averaging 1600 calories a day and I am not seeing any real loss. 

10lb per month is actually considered the high end of what is healthy to lose in a month. Any more than that, and you would potentially be sacrificing muscle in the process. Even at a rate of 10lbs per month, your body could have a hard time maintaining muscle mass.

Also, I don't know what your situation is, but you might actually be eating too few calories for size and level of activity. The body will desperately hold on to fat if your calories are too low (and 1600 is fairly low for a male, which I am assuming you are based on your username). If your calories are too low, the body may actually try to preserve fat (fast, emergency energy) and cannibalize muscle (harder to break down in an emergency, so not considered as essential by the body). 

You should also expect to see the scale decrease slowly if you are working out regularly, as this helps to prevent muscle loss. If you are building muscle, the weight you lose in fat can be partially (or equally replaced) by the weight you are gaining in muscle, so your measurements will drop without a large drops on the scale. The reason why some people drop so much weight on extreme diets is because 1) they are losing a lot of water weight (this is applicable at the beginning of most diets), and 2) extreme dieting results in considerable muscle loss in combination with fat.

If you are eating healthy, working out, and dropping in measurements (particularly around the waist), it is actually better to see a slower decrease in the scale than a major one.

Side note: If the exhaustion and trouble sleeping are unexplained (not caused by current life stresses), they can be symptoms of under-eating. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, StarlordPhoenix said:

If you are eating healthy, working out, and dropping in measurements (particularly around the waist), it is actually better to see a slower decrease in the scale than a major one.

Side note: If the exhaustion and trouble sleeping are unexplained (not caused by current life stresses), they can be symptoms of under-eating. 

Coming in to second this. My husband is seeing a weight decrease being fairly sedentary and eating about 2300 calories a day.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GregT. said:

Also didn't know that one, and again... had to look up the other. Always learning here :D .

Good luck with this challenge. I think you can definitely do it.

10 hours ago, StarlordPhoenix said:

I may be eating to little.  I have been seeing very slow progress in size reduction as well as weight loss.  I have been doing this for 9 months now.  I am down 20 lbs.  I have also gone off the rails a bit in the last week, and I as f this morning I am up 8 lbs in 4 days.  I can only attribute this to water and glycogen restoration as I cannot have eaten that many calories.  I have gone off my eating plan but not to that extent.  I am still eating the moderate amount just added in some bread and cheese.  I certainly have not added in an excess 24,000 calories in the last 4 days, I probably would have noticed. :)  I have been wondering if I I am eating to little.  The reason I have held out this long is I am seeing strength gains in the gym.  As well as size increase in muscle groups.  My general workout for the last 45 days has been, Lifting weights 4 days a week, swimming 1000m 4 days a week, playing basketball or doing some other running type activity at least 2 times per week. Then throw in vernal walks/hikes as well. usually not more than 5 km at a time.  

My sleep is I am tired mostly all the time, and then when I go to bed, I wake up about 4 hours later and am unable to truly fall asleep again.  I doze, and wake up about every 45 mins thereafter until it is time to get up.  

If anyone has any ideas let me know.  

I guess I should throw in more info for others.  

I am 6'3" tall 191 cm, 

I am 146 kg (324 lbs as of this morning

I bench 230 lb (105 kg)

Deadlift 315 lb (145 kg)

I straight bar curl 135 lbs (60 kg)

I swim breast stroke 4 days a week for a minimum of 1000m, yesterday I did 1500 with no weight lifting

I do American football practice with my workout partner 3 to 4 days a week as well, Run mock plays, throw passes to him, etc.  Usually 90 mins.  

I also go for long walks/hikes 3 to 4 times a week.

My job is 6.5 hours of sitting at a PC and doing spreadsheets.  Occasionally I pick up a heavy piece of equipment or walk 100 m.  

thanks for the help.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GregT. said:

I am 110 kg (324 lbs as of this morning

One of those numbers must be wrong (I'm guessing the lbs numbers - I have seen your picture and you don't look like 324 lbs)  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

One of those numbers must be wrong (I'm guessing the lbs numbers - I have seen your picture and you don't look like 324 lbs)

The KG number was wrong.  It should have been 146.  I am indeed 324 lbs as of this morning.  I started this adventure at 354 lbs.  Thanks for the compliment though.

I am a traditionally big dude.  When I was in great shape, with a 4 pack, ran 5 miles 3 times a week, swam 2500 meters a day, lifted and often carried heavy equipment up and down ladders on ships I was a cool 250 lbs (113.5 kg)  I am not saying I am that way now, I am much softer than I was back then, but I know my density and such is high.  Always has been. 

I am just lost here.  I don't feel like I am starving myself but I am just not seeing the results.  The loss of energy and now disrupted sleep are just messing with me.  Now that I have gone off plan a bit and added in a lot of carbs in the past few days combined with what Starlord was saying makes me think maybe I am in a conservation mode.  The fact that I put that much weight on in such a short period makes me believe I have ben at such a glycogen deficit for so long that, my body used all of what I put in it to refill the depleted stores.  I just don't know.  I have been stunned that with my 1500+ calorie deficit I am not seeing more loss of any kind.  I just am afraid to eat more and go backward even farther.  I don't know if I can mentally handle that kind of set back.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

I am no nutritionist, but it seems to me that with your activity level and that kind of calorie deficit you are setting yourself up for a big-time crash.  If I was in your situation (and I'm not so you can take this with a brick of salt) I would up your calories significantly, but limit [Edit] non-starchy carbs.  Given that you are lifting pretty heavy and looking for muscle gains, you are most likely going to be very safe with a higher calorie intake, keeping your deficit to ~500 or less

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GregT. said:

My sleep is I am tired mostly all the time, and then when I go to bed, I wake up about 4 hours later and am unable to truly fall asleep again.  I doze, and wake up about every 45 mins thereafter until it is time to get up.  

This is likely due to under-eating. When the body thinks it is starving, it can flip into a hyper alert mode. Basically, your body thinks it needs to give you extra time awake/alert so that you can find more food (it is a survival mechanism). 

I ran your numbers through a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculator. I estimated that you were at a moderate activity level (workout/activity 3-5 times a week). According to it, your maintenance at your current weight would be 3,800 calories). Your TDEE would need to be modified as you lost weight. For example, if you weighed 250, your TDEE at the same activity level would be 3,300 calories for maintenance. It is usually recommended that people aim for about 500 calories below their TDEE for healthy weightloss. That would put you at about 3,300. Even if you were at a light activity level, your maintenance would still be around 3,400 calories, so a good cut amount would be 2,900. I calculated your approximate BMR (basal metabolic rate), and that is about 2,490 for your current weight (again, this should be modified as you lose weight). I would recommend avoiding eating below your BMR, so avoid eating below 2,500 calories.

https://tdeecalculator.net (TDEE calculator)

http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html (BMR calculator)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am no nutritionist

Neither am I and I don't play one on TV either.  It is looking like this is the only option left to me.  I know I can't cut any more off.  If I do that, I know I will be in trouble.  I am just going to have to figure out how to eat more.  I guess my biggest problem is I really have no idea what my BMR is.  I have used the calculators and such but it just seems incredibly high. Most put me around 2500 for BMR, so a 500 calorie deficit without exercise would be 2000,  so if I am burning an average of 1200 a day in lifting and swimming should I be eating 3600 calories a day to keep a 500 cal deficit? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GregT. said:

I guess my biggest problem is I really have no idea what my BMR is.  I have used the calculators and such but it just seems incredibly high. Most put me around 2500 for BMR, so a 500 calorie deficit without exercise would be 2000,  so if I am burning an average of 1200 a day in lifting and swimming should I be eating 3600 calories a day to keep a 500 cal deficit? 

These numbers are correct. As your weight goes down, your BMR goes down (your body doesn't have to work as hard when you weigh less). So, you start at a high calories amount and make slow cuts to your calorie intake when you hit a plateau. 

Disclaimer, I am not a nutritionist, but I have studied the topic and done tons of research (and experimented on myself) for years. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GregT. said:

I have used the calculators and such but it just seems incredibly high. Most put me around 2500 for BMR,

I dunno, that sounds about right to me...

I would listen to @StarlordPhoenix, I see some pretty good advice there :) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StarlordPhoenix said:

done tons of research

I have done this as well.  Based on my own experience I have seen this not work as well, but I was not watching as closely either.  I will up the calories and see what happens.  I have to do something.  I will shoot for 3000 calories, and do what I can to keep from going under 2500.  I just have to make tectonic changes to my eating to make this happen.  I believe my protein level is good , but if I need to increase another 1000 calories a day or more, it is going to have to be more fat to do it.  I can increase carbs a bit, but I know from previous experience that carbs and I do not mix well.  Thanks for eh advice.  I was afraid this was the problem, so I have been starving my body for 9 months.  I wonder where I would be strength wise if I had been giving my body more of what it needs. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I also struggle with eating too little and find that TDEE calculators and the like wildly differ. It might be worth upping your calories a bit and seeing what that does. If nothing or you lose that's still good. If you start gaining again you've got an upper limit.

• Like 2