Morella trudges on

ladymorella

I am trying to get my life back after some health issues. I am still having some issues which results in me having symptoms in waves. In the past year or so I have had a couple of periods of time being low to no symptoms. I am still trying to figure out what exactly causes those periods. Every time I seem to get back on track there is a set back. In some cases the cause seems obvious, other times not so much which is frustrating. Things to work on right now:

• 6500 Steps: A couple months ago or so I decided to try to bring up my baseline activity. On bad days it can be difficult to get much done, but unless I am having major problems I figure there is no reason to not have at least 6000 steps a day. This is normally counted without my workout steps unless the workout is basically just a run. My step tracker is my phone so to record my run it is included in that number. I have been working out 3 times a week for a while. I have got back into that. My output varies greatly though still. I have hit 6000 steps pretty regularly so I am trying to up it a little. Particularly on days when there is not a workout. 
  • Keto diet: My calories need to be at least 2000 calories with Keto macros. Top priority is to be on a ketogenic diet to try to eliminate symptoms or rule it out as something that can eliminate symptoms. I actually hate this diet. My goal is to be on it solid for 3 months to see if it helps. 
  • 10 minutes of mobility at least 6 days a week: I would love to make it longer, but I just don't think I can commit to that right now. I have been having a lot of muscle problems for quite a while. I have been having issues with my knee and I think mobility will help it out as that leg seems to have a lot of tightness. My shoulders could use some love as well. 
  • To-Do List: Due to having health issues I got behind on things and have quite a few tasks that need to be done. Some are pretty minor while others will take quite a while. I am trying to figure out some sort of point system. I am still making a list of all of it and put items in groups by number of points based on difficulty/likelihood of getting done. My goal is to have 100 points by the end of the challenge. Most will be 5 points most likely. I still need to work this out assigning the points is difficult. Especially with not knowing how well I am going to feel on any given day. It's kind of like trying to predict how far you can walk each day when you have no idea of whether there is a road to walk on, what the terrain is, what the weather will be, nor the elevation of the route. 

I guess a couple bonus quests are: 

• I want to read two books by then end of this challenge. One is "The Ketogenic Diet For Athletes" and the other is a book for the book club I am in. I don't remember the name of it. The Keto book is pretty short only 135 pages and I am already 25% of the way through it. I may add in "A Beautiful Work in Progress" which I am also already 25% of the way through. (I don't know why I read multiple books at the same time.)
  • I really need to do some corrective sort of exercises to try to help heal my one leg. It seems banded abductor raises, glute bridges, VMO raises, and wall sits help this out. I would like to continue working on this. I had to put it aside in January due to recovering from a cold then getting the flu. My energy level hasn't allowed me to insert these back in yet. I am hoping to get these back in twice a week soon. I have to be careful as it seems I can overdo it pretty easy. I am still having a lot of issues figuring out what is too much. 
  • Like 1

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

It's good to see you back, following!

11 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Keto diet: My calories need to be at least 2000 calories with Keto macros. Top priority is to be on a ketogenic diet to try to eliminate symptoms or rule it out as something that can eliminate symptoms. I actually hate this diet. My goal is to be on it solid for 3 months to see if it helps. 

That's rough, what about it do you hate? Hopefully it will get better as you find more recipes and a routine in hitting your macros.

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

It's good to see you back, following!

That's rough, what about it do you hate? Hopefully it will get better as you find more recipes and a routine in hitting your macros.

Welcome. Thanks for following. 

I have a lot of trouble finding recipes that I can eat over and over. So since I only have a few meal ideas it get tiring. So there is a lot of heavy cream, cheese and ground beef. Which sounds great, but not day after day. Looking online or in the recipes I have in a Keto book many of them require at lot of preparation, aren't keto so much as low carb recipes, or include eggs or almond flour which I am sensitive to.

- - - - - - - - - -

Have you tried any of heathfulpursuit recipes? You can search by keto, egg-free, and how long it takes to make. There might be a few ideas in there that make the next few months more enjoyable.

https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipe-search/?fwp_eating_style=egg-free-recipes%2Cketo

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Have you tried any of heathfulpursuit recipes? You can search by keto, egg-free, and how long it takes to make. There might be a few ideas in there that make the next few months more enjoyable.

https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipe-search/?fwp_eating_style=egg-free-recipes%2Cketo

No, I have never heard of it. That is cool that it lets you cut out eggs and such. I looked through briefly. I will have to look through it. Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - -

• 6500 Steps:  I got this today  no problem 11400 
  • Keto diet: Did ok on this today hit my macros.
  • 10 minutes of mobility: Got this in. Since the Olympics are on this might be a great month to start off. I can just do it while watching the Olympics. 
  • To-Do List: Finally got the grass cut. I even trimmed around the paths and all. Since I had to borrow a cutter it helped me get it done. On the other hand I think I overdid it. Hopefully I just need sleep. 

Happy to finally have my backyard done. There are a few more little things to do, but I go the bulk of it. If I didn't have to borrow tools to get it done though I wouldn't have done so much. I should have portioned the day out a little differently. I didn't have any time to food prep. 

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - -

10 hours ago, EaseActivate said:

Following for curiosity about keto!

Thanks. I can elaborate on anything you like. I never quite know what to write about. I am still struggling figuring out what to eat. 

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Nice. It's satisfying to complete a chore that makes a tangible difference.

Hey, who gave you my number? Haha that is exactly why I chose that particular thing. Hoping it will help me gain steam. It looks really nice. Next should be the kitchen. I see that more often. 

- - - - - - - - - -

• 6,500 Steps:  Barely hit this with 6,500. I was kind of surprised by this as I thought I walked around a bit for tasks for work. I maybe didn't have my phone on me all day. I don't know. 
  • Keto diet: Did ok on this today hit my macros. Carbs were 60, but I had only 45 net carbs. I accidentally packed 3 servings of nuts for snacks. I didn't realize it until after I ate them all. I keep not packing a lunch. Not good at all. 
  • 10 minutes of mobility: Got this in. I actually did about 25 minutes I believe. The hard part is starting it. 
  • To-Do List: Nothing. Probably won't make progress on the weekdays.

Optional: 

• Reading: Read some of the Keto book. P. 65/135

It appears I re-hurt my ankle. I sprained it June of 2016. It still has issues sometimes. I have no idea how I did it. I am guessing at the gym, but normally I have issues with it when cutting while running. I think maybe I hurt it on Chin-holds. Haha, yeah on the jump down off the bar.   

what-a-maroon.jpg

I have a Bod Pod appointment tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what it says. I know I have lost about 20 lbs from the last one in Jan. I have only lost 5 lbs from last May, but recently I have dropped a size in pants. I am mostly curious about if there is lean mass gain. I don't really think so as I don't feel any stronger, but it will be interesting to see. 

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

Joint injuries are the worst! I hope your ankle is just being cranky and feels better tomorrow.

How do you like the BodPod? It sounds fun, I wish we had them around here.

― Neil Gaiman

4 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Joint injuries are the worst! I hope your ankle is just being cranky and feels better tomorrow.

How do you like the BodPod? It sounds fun, I wish we had them around here.

Yes, joint issues are terrible. I am slow healing right now for some reason too which makes it annoying. 

I like the BodPod. You just change into tight sports bra and lycra or swimsuit and sit in an egg shaped thing. It only takes a few minutes. The biggest down side for me is cost and that the closest one to me is 45 minutes away. The first time I bought a three pack and then let one go to waste as it was so far away for early morning before work. I have done Bio-impedance in the past and it seem ok, but the prep was a pain. I was suppose to drink a liter of water 1 hour before hand or something like that. For Bod Pod I just don't eat drink or workout 2 hours beforehand. 

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

• 6,500 Steps:  Got this in. I have about 3900 and I ran 1.5 miles plus a 200 M warm up. So I don't know a step count, but I am counting it as good. Normally I don't bother counting steps from my workout, but in the case of running I will make an exception. Rough calculations indicate I should have had over 3500 steps from the run. 
  • Keto diet: I think I hit my macros. Breakfast was a bit of a guess as I ate out after my Bod Pod test. I decided to give eggs a try and had a salmon frittata. I can't tell if I had an issue from them or not. 
  • 10 minutes of mobility: Got this in. Little before my workout to prep for it and about 10 minutes afterwards. 

Optional: 

• Reading: Read some of the Keto book. P. 73/135

Got my Bod Pod test done. I knew I had lost a little over 20 lbs. The results showed that I actually lost about 1.5 lbs of lean mass. At first I was a little disappointed, but afterwards I realized it was a pound up from two years ago so it is probably more of a margin of error sort of thing. Lean mass includes a lot of things. I am sort of disappointed I didn't gain any muscle mass, but I kind of knew as I don't feel I am stronger than 1 year ago. My gym numbers say I was the strongest in 2014, which was a little after starting to have health issues. So overall a tad disappointed, but good to know basically all my weight loss was fat. Also I went from 42% fat to 36% fat so that is good. I am out of the risky group and in the "excess fat" group. Everyone one else refers to them as obese and overweight. Oh, it turns out that I didn't lose ones test of my three pack. I thought I had to use it within a certain which I past. So that was great.

My ankle still hurts, but not as bas as last night. It only hurts in positions that I am not in much. It didn't bother me at all in the running. I suspect it will be a little troublesome when I go to bed like last night. Otherwise it is mostly in positions on my toes if I start to lose my balance or something like that. Pretty rare circumstances, but happy it feels better. 

I have been pretty tired lately still not sleeping well. I am starting to feel better though. I don't know if it is the keto finally kicking in or if it is just the phase of my health were I feel good for a few days to a week before a new phase of terribleness starts back up. Haha. Which is a little stressful as I desire to just enjoy feeling good, but a part of me thinks if it isn't going to last I need to get as much accomplished as possible. Only time will tell. 

In the keto book I was reading it mentions studies that show that training in the wrong heart rate zone might account for why endurance athletes drop dead suddenly. They didn't really say what the zone was, but they described it as the zone where it is too hard for aerobic exercise and not hard enough for anaerobic exercise. I haven't heard of that before and have highlighted it so I can go back and look at the studies. They said that tests have shown a lot of scar tissue on the heart. Pretty crazy. It reminds me of something I read in "Training for the New Alpinism" about how to increase aerobic capacity and that most people train in the wrong heart rate zone, which doesn't help them increase their capacity as much as if they had slowed down some. I really want to go back to that book and finish it. It had a lot of really good information. It is too bad that my HR monitor broke in Peru. It sort of shows the numbers, but  most are hard to read. I need to figure out a new HR monitor and save up for it. 

For the first time I decided to order some clothes from Amazon utilizing the free return thing. I ordered three different bras with different cup sizes as I had changed sizes, but didn't know which and the brand is no longer sold in my town. The order was split into two different packages and yesterday one said it was delivered, but I never saw it. I looked all around and could not find it. I waited hoping it would show up today as I am almost positive that has happened before saying it was delivered only to show up the next day. I got the second box, but no sign of the first box. Sigh. Now I have to call the post office. I don't think there is anything they can do. Not happy. I planned on returning two out of three once I figured out which fit. I don't know if the post officer delivered it to the wrong house or if someone stole my box. Either way I don't know what someone is gonna do with an odd sized bra and BCAA's :lol: :nonchalance:

- - - - - - - - - -

• 6,500 Steps:   7700. Got this in.
  • Keto diet:  Got my macros. I am enjoying making cabbage with dinner sausage for breakfast or dinner. I think I need to figure out some other snacks other than just nuts. I need a couple meals that work for days when I am not at the office. I will have some days away soon and I am not quite sure what to bring to eat. Most of what I eat needs to be refrigerated other than the nuts. 
  • 10 minutes of mobility: Went to Mobility class at my gym so got an hour in.

Optional: 

• Reading: Read some of the Keto book. P. 90/135

Read more in the keto book about training to improve aerobic ability. It really makes me want to start doing HR workouts again. I need to do a little research on them. I have a rower so it would be kinda nice if I got one that interfaces with it. Last time I bought a HR monitor fitbits and such weren't out. When I looked before everything said that chest straps were much more accurate. I don't know if that is still true. 

- - - - - - - - - -

I just finished Training For The New Alpinism and made notes, so let me know if there is any information I can find for you. :) I kind of skipped over sections that really didn't apply to me (protein sources for climbing in Mongolia, etc) but hopefully I captured the main points.

I can copy my notes on heart rate training once I'm at my computer.

― Neil Gaiman

24 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I just finished Training For The New Alpinism and made notes, so let me know if there is any information I can find for you. :) I kind of skipped over sections that really didn't apply to me (protein sources for climbing in Mongolia, etc) but hopefully I captured the main points.

I can copy my notes on heart rate training once I'm at my computer.

I own the book and took notes like I was studying for a final, but I only got to chapter 3. Actually when I go back I will probably start over. Have you done the low heart rate workouts it suggested the bulk of your work should be? It was way less intense than I normally do. I need to increase my threshhold. Or did you try that core workout. I really want to go back to that. I mostly stopped to do personal training to address an ankle sprain as I prepared for a big hike. I really want to go back to it. Maybe in March. I really found the hr awareness helped me a lot.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - -

To the best of my ability, yes. My heart rate creeps up if I'm running faster than a very slow jog but I have tried to keep all my runs in their Zone 1 for the past few months while working on endurance and increasing my miles. It is only with this challenge that I am starting to add in other target zones.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

n00b breaking into this;

its Extraordinary IMHO that you can run in zone 1.

think that by the time I have done Any running I'm at least in 2... 

is this because you are in good running shape?

I've run into similar advice regarding my long 100mile endurance walk.  but while I can keep my walks low intensity- its much trickier to run that way.

PS.  a 20# weight Loss? wonderful. congrats

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

40 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

To the best of my ability, yes. My heart rate creeps up if I'm running faster than a very slow jog but I have tried to keep all my runs in their Zone 1 for the past few months while working on endurance and increasing my miles. It is only with this challenge that I am starting to add in other target zones.

That is impressive that you can run in

zone 1. I tried it and I couldn't do it. I had to use the elliptical or rower to stay in. I have been working on my run and have gotten fitter I believe so I would be curious to try it again. 

15 minutes ago, TGP said:

n00b breaking into this;

its Extraordinary IMHO that you can run in zone 1.

think that by the time I have done Any running I'm at least in 2... 

is this because you are in good running shape?

I've run into similar advice regarding my long 100mile endurance walk.  but while I can keep my walks low intensity- its much trickier to run that way.

PS.  a 20# weight Loss? wonderful. congrats

Is this to me? I can't run in zone 1 either to my knowledge. 100 mile endurance walk when is this? 

Thanks, 20# is my weight loss from last year. Lost 15 in 3 months then stagnanted for a while. Still happy about it though. 

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - -

lol.

I am training to walk a 100mile hiking trail in 50hours during early June.

its probably the biggest test of fitness in the whole year- and I am definitely Motivated to be in peak shape.

I've done 50mile walks during other years during this event; and even they are Alot

---

this book "the New Alpism" is quite interesting.  I've peaked at the first few pages via amazon's web site.  it stresses the need to be in generally good shape so you CAN work intensely with skill specific training.

that makes me very happy.  I feel I've been doing that all winter long.  

and perhaps after running a LONG time I can develop the skill of jogging in zone 1.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TGP said:

lol.

I am training to walk a 100mile hiking trail in 50hours during early June.

its probably the biggest test of fitness in the whole year- and I am definitely Motivated to be in peak shape.

I've done 50mile walks during other years during this event; and even they are Alot

---

this book "the New Alpism" is quite interesting.  I've peaked at the first few pages via amazon's web site.  it stresses the need to be in generally good shape so you CAN work intensely with skill specific training.

that makes me very happy.  I feel I've been doing that all winter long.  

and perhaps after running a LONG time I can develop the skill of jogging in zone 1.

That is really cool. I was hiking a lot and had to kind of stop. I think 14 miles is my longest hike in a day. Is the 100 miles pretty flat or is there a lot of elevation change?

I highly recommend that book. A guy on here who appears to be MIA recommended it to me when I was trying to find a training routine for a 26 mile 4 day hike I was going to do. It is really good at giving a lot of info, but also breaking it down on how to use it. I think once I finish my book club book I will start on it again. I stopped with it since I ended up getting a personal trainer in order to help with a sprain I was having issues with.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - -

15 hours ago, ladymorella said:

That is impressive that you can run in

zone 1. I tried it and I couldn't do it. I had to use the elliptical or rower to stay in. I have been working on my run and have gotten fitter I believe so I would be curious to try it again. 

To be fair it is still a very slow run/jog if I want to stay in zone 1. When I first started I did walk breaks one minute out of every five, not because I was out of breath but just to stay in the zone. It felt really pathetic :D but it seemed to work. Now the breaks aren't needed.

Try it again, you might be surprised.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

well,

it doesn't exactly charge up all the hills as steeply as possible

but it doesn't avoid them either.  

my rough guess is about 300ft per every 5miles.  thus

6000' total elevation gain

compared to a 14miler; well Its a LOT more...  kind of like comparing walking a 5k to a running a full marathon.

and the biggest difference is surely the sleeping in between.  as my dad says;  imagine the biggest walk of your life.  now you plop into a hammock,hope it doesn't rain & after 4scant hours of sleeping get up and do it all over again.

he's totally gotten into seeing the logistics of this.

STILL  a hike is still a hike!  One of the things that really matters is all the little joints.  are they screaming in discomfort and happy and engaged?

(rhetorical question- no matter where you think you are; the mileage will reveal what is real about your conditioning)

and we both figure; getting those joints ready for this WILL fall to the 14mile-ish training walks.

26 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

To be fair it is still a very slow run/jog if I want to stay in zone 1. When I first started I did walk breaks one minute out of every five, not because I was out of breath but just to stay in the zone. It felt really pathetic :D but it seemed to work. Now the breaks aren't needed.

Try it again, you might be surprised.

Yes, I will try it again when I have the tools. I tried it the first time and I couldn't figure out how to take more than a couple steps even in a slow run without it going over. Besides I lot 25 lbs since trying it. That has got to account for something even I haven't improved in fitness, which I have. 

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

well,

it doesn't exactly charge up all the hills as steeply as possible

but it doesn't avoid them either.  

compared to a 14miler; well Its more...

OTOH a hike is still a hike!  the pace should be consistent but what really matters is all the little joints.  are they screaming in discomfort and happy and engaged?

(rhetorical question- no matter where you think you are; the mileage will reveal what is real about your conditioning)

Walking on flat ground would probably be pretty boring, but I am super partial to mountains. 

My next hiking goal is to do a route from the foothills of the largest mountain near town to the top (topish?). It is a 20 mile route with 7000 ft elevation climb. I've mentioned it a couple times and people ask me how many days I want to do it in. Hahaha, solid, why would I want to carry more stuff? 100 miles in 50 hours sounds like fun. I mean I am not prepared for that, but if I were. 

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - -