Happienumber ups her jedi skills with lightsabers

Happienumber

Andddd here I am, crashing back in for another challenge after being away for 6 billion years.

A quick rundown of things that have happened recently:

• Was very sick for a year, lost a scary amount of weight.

• Got better, moved to Hoth to care for my mother who is very sick.

• Mother got slightly better, so I moved out to my own apartment nearby (she still needs her house cared for, but she doesn’t need anyone living in anymore)

My goals for this challenge are as follows:

Fitness goal 1: Saber skills (freestyle staff)

Image result for bo staff gif

I have just discovered freestyle staff and it is the most exciting thing ever!! I have been struggling to find indoor fitness activities for Hoth in the winter when it’s -40 most of the time. I just like doing outdoor things so much more than indoor things, unless i’m in a parkour gym. But I found some youtube tutorials on freestyle staff and i started playing with it because I had some PVC and a wooden dowel (and a lightsaber) so I made two staffs of different lengths out of them, and holy crap- i was playing around for 20 minutes and i was sweating and out of breath and I didn’t even realize the time had passed. I wake up in the morning and i’m EXCITED to go out in the kitchen and play with my “sticks” haha.

The Goal:

My goal is to do one of  the “badass skill of the month” videos from Michelle c. Smith, the back hand flip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCp1Fl4M-U0&t=45s

So the goal is to do 1000 of these this challenge, 500 each hand.

Why it’s a challenge:

Doing something repetitively can get...repetitive.

Why I want to do it anyway:

To develop consistency and solid technique

Fitness goal 2: Mental health

Image result for jedi meditate gif

The goal:

Daily meditation. A passing score would be doing it every day at least a little, an extra credit A+ score would be 20 mins a day, 10 in the morning 10 at night. That’s the goal i’m AIMING for.

Why It’s a challenge:

Remembering to do something new every day is hard, and my brain is VERY flighty and I find it hard to sit still and be quiet.

Living with my mother was, I realized, a really bad idea. My mental health plummeted to a place it hasn’t been since I was a young teen. I had thought I made a lot of progress in being a stable human in my adult life, but it turns out that living away from home was the number 1 factor in that. Living there for a few months was enough to backtrack 10 years of progress. I was there with her for over a year now, and I feel like I almost have to start from scratch.

Spoiler

(also in the last year I’ve gotten some official diagnosis that explain a lot, I’m not sure if I mentioned them in any of my last challenges. I’m aparently on the Autisim spectrum which explains like....my entire life. And I got a cPTSD diagnosis, which tbh was not suprising either. Telling people i’m Autistic has been pretty easy but I’m having a hard time breaking the news to my friends and family that I have ptsd....I can talk about it online a little better but in person it’s just not happening....Something else to work on later. Honestly they should know because it explains why i do somethings....whatever, later.)

So anyway, developing some solid routines and a sense of grounding and peace is something I need to do.

Food goal: Eating enough

Image result for mouth full

When I lived in florida I was doing the Keto diet, and I felt SO FREAKING GOOD. I don’t know if it was because it was keto or if it was just because I was so focused on adding extra healthy fats to everything that i ate, I was actually getting enough frelling food in my body. Since my sickness and then surgery I’ve had a hard time keeping on weight. Before the surgery I always had an extra 20-40 pounds I couldn’t seem to get rid of, so this is a weird paradigm shift for me. (apparently, it was the organ they removed that was causing this).  I lost 80ish pounds wicked fast, then I struggled and gained back some, and now i’m relatively in the low-middle range of my BMI and I’d like to stay here. It’s so easy to backslide though.

The goal:

The goal for this challenge is to eat at least 2,000 of the healthiest calories possible a day and to work out a shopping list within my budget. Bonus points if I’m above that, but I’ll be passing if i maintain at least a 1900 average for the challenge.

Why It’s a challenge:

I’m on meds that kill my appetite, and I have always had, as everyone knows, the worst time remembering to eat as it is. This used to have the effect of keeping me in starvation mode, now it has the effect of me losing weight astonishingly fast. Secondary challenge- because I’m working so much at my mother’s house, I can’t afford to work as much at a job. Therefore my food budget is about $50 bucks a month, so unfortunately I can’t afford to do Keto again and I probably can’t stay paleo even.  I’m going to have to get clever with figuring out how to have a reasonably healthy diet that’s not just a giant bag of white rice all month.

Why I want to do It anyway:

I want to be energetic and warm. When I eat enough I have more energy and ALSO side benefit of being warm enough!! In this freezing weather. (I am WAY warmer when I eat enough, which makes so much sense metabolically tbh).

Life Goal: Drawing words and Writing pictures

Image result for drawing cartoons

The Goal:

Finish working through the book “drawing words and writing pictures” and all the homework excercises

Why It’s a challenge:

I keep forgetting to do it or doing something else instead even when I have time and no reason not to do it. I really don’t even know what my issue is other than adhd is causing me to procrastinate, because it’s COMPLETLY FUN and I really want to do it....

I’m planning on writing a graphic novel and this is a textbook/workbook on how to tell stories visually (showing tone and pace and scene cuts and stuff)

• Like 3

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

What a great challenge structure!! Following! 

I love the why it's a challenge/why I want to do it anyway thing. Might have to steal that for my next challenge (or even for this one...) 

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

What a great challenge structure!! Following! 

I love the why it's a challenge/why I want to do it anyway thing. Might have to steal that for my next challenge (or even for this one...) 

Thanks! It helps keep me motivated because I remeber why I started this in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Yay, it's Happienumber!!! Glad to see you. Sorry the ast years have been so hard.Freestyle staff sounds super fun.
Elastigirl! Yippee!

Things are looking up now, so I think everything's going to be OK :)

I am SO EXCITED about the freestyle staff. A caveat: when I say I just discovered freestyle staff, I mean I JUST discovered it. Like three days ago. So I've only done it twice. And uh...

.... And I feel like my day 2 video needs to be shared.

As soon as I can remember how to do that.

• Like 1

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

1 minute ago, Elastigirl said:

You probably didn't need that light anyway;) LOL:lol:

I was like...SO AWARE of the light being there too, i kept thinking "don't hit the light, there's a light there, don't hit the light" and then I just got so excited that I'd gotten the hang of that spin and forgot to pay attention. And when it fell I was just like....well, of course.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

21 hours ago, Happienumber said:

My goal is to do one of  the “badass skill of the month” videos from Michelle c. Smith, the back hand flip.

That is really badass. Thank you for the link!

I tried to meditate every day last challenge, and in a few other before. I'm really bad at remembering to do it every day. I've started using 10% Happier. It has some really short guided meditations. There's even one called 1 minute to Sanity and one that is "For an Anxious Moment" that is 1 minute long.  I still have trouble remembering to stop and use them, but having the short ones has helped. Especially at work. 

Awesome video.  I need to video myself for form checks and I just can't bring myself to do it yet. So I'm extra impressed.
Plus, lights are overrated. :D

• Like 1

That is really badass. Thank you for the link!

I tried to meditate every day last challenge, and in a few other before. I'm really bad at remembering to do it every day. I've started using 10% Happier. It has some really short guided meditations. There's even one called 1 minute to Sanity and one that is "For an Anxious Moment" that is 1 minute long.  I still have trouble remembering to stop and use them, but having the short ones has helped. Especially at work. 

Awesome video.  I need to video myself for form checks and I just can't bring myself to do it yet. So I'm extra impressed.
Plus, lights are overrated. [emoji3]

Is that a website? I'm gonna check it out! That sounds so good. I did 15 minutes this morning and HOLY MACKREL it felt like so long, I can't believe I used to do 20-30 minutes at a time back in the day. Not that I really kept up a habit of it but my mind was calmer back then, obviously. I've been using stop, breath, and think and the free ones on simple habit. I really like body scans (also, they are the one my old therapist recommended- which is where the entire practice started) and grounding/anxiety ones where they have you think about being attatched to the earth and gravity pulling u down. That type helps the best with anxiety or panic attacks for me. I'm like oh yes gravity my old friend (I was an astrophysics major) gravity's got my back lol.

Video is so important for form checks! DOOOOO Eeeeeet!!!!

Just film it, watch it, and delete it immediately to start. I really like saving my First attempts to compare to when I learn it. And a lo for when things go awry in the video lol

• Like 1

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

This looks like an AWESOME challenge!  The freestyle staff stuff looks really fun!  I will have to keep these videos in mind in the future!  

Negative 40?!  I went to college in Fairbanks, Alaska and it was at least -40 all winter long...it...was not fun...

Haha!  Oops!  Well...I guess you dont have to worry about hitting that light fixture again...?

• Like 1

Your video is so cooooool! Awesome! Keep at it, it's such a great watch really!  And the light bulb moment ha ha :D 
Love the drawing goal also. Have a good challenge!

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

On 2/12/2018 at 5:38 AM, Happienumber said:

I am SO EXCITED about the freestyle staff. A caveat: when I say I just discovered freestyle staff, I mean I JUST discovered it. Like three days ago. So I've only done it twice. And uh...

Wow I hadn't read that bit! Looks like you have found your hidden talent because your video is really cool!

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

22 hours ago, Nightcrawler_Bamff said:

This looks like an AWESOME challenge!  The freestyle staff stuff looks really fun!  I will have to keep these videos in mind in the future!  

Negative 40?!  I went to college in Fairbanks, Alaska and it was at least -40 all winter long...it...was not fun...

Haha!  Oops!  Well...I guess you dont have to worry about hitting that light fixture again...?

Ugh, isn't it awful? I hate negative temps. It's like you can feel the weather activly trying to kill you.

And haha- That's exatly what I was thinking afterwards! I was like...welll, I don't think I'm going to replace this until I move out because I'm planning to keep doing staff work in the kitchen soooooo.....it's best that's out of the way....

15 hours ago, @mu said:

Wow I hadn't read that bit! Looks like you have found your hidden talent because your video is really cool!

Thank you! That one's called the Obi-Ani spin, I didn't just come up with it out of no where- there are a few youtube tutorials on it. I watched two of them to learn it (one didnt' seem to be enough lol, it was kind of tricky. but maybe it wouldn't be as tricky to someone who knew what they were doing.)

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

So update:

Lightsaber skills:

I did 61 reps per hand on monday (the odd number being becuase it was 11 at night and I dropped the thing at 61 and was like oh snapville, my downstairs neighbors are probably not liking that, so i carefully did the last 11 reps on my other hand to even out and stopped haha.)

Today I did 30 per hand, so my grand total is 91/500 per hand so far.

Meditation:

Yesterday I did 20 minutes total, 15 in the morning and 5 at night. I'm feeling like 15 was very long for me right now. I'm going to aim to do 5-10 mins at a time.

7 minutes this evening.

Food goal:

Yesterday I went on a last-minute 5-hour-each-way turn and burn trip with my friend to take her grandmother home and didn't plan well for food and how i would survive the day. (read- I didn't plan at all, just hopped in the car with no snacks and not even a water bottle. FAIL) My friend took me to lunch and I ate an entire pizza. A gluten free pizza, but still it was an entire pizza. So I think I did ok on calories but NOT so hot on the "healthy calories"

Today I also didn't plan well enough, obviously. I thought I had, but I'm sitting here on myfitnesspal adding it up and I ate 1,025 calories today. So another fail. I think I have to sit down in the morning tomorrow and actually add up my calories beforehand and make sure I take enough to work, and a little extra. I'm going to play hockey after work so I should probably pack two or three meals- lunch, early dinner, and after-hockey dinner. 

Drawing goal:

With the road trip yesterday, I didn't get any drawing done, and today after-work chores took longer than expected so no progress here yet. Hopefully I'll get up early enough to do some of it tomorrow morning before work, if not, i'm blocking off the entire evening on thursday to dig into it for a few hours (I may do this anyway...)

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Oh, and speaking of lightsabers....

I no longer HAVE ONE. My friend and I were messing around with them after we got home late last night and we had a duel in the parking lot of her apartment and we broke BOTH OF THEM! Aparently pvc pipe is not shatterproof at -24. *shakes fist at climate*

I still have my staffs but...MUY TRISTE 

I'm not happy, Bob

Related image

• Like 2

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

I no longer HAVE ONE. My friend and I were messing around with them after we got home late last night and we had a duel in the parking lot of her apartment and we broke BOTH OF THEM! Aparently pvc pipe is not shatterproof at -24. *shakes fist at climate*

I still have my staffs but...MUY TRISTE 

I'm not happy, Bob

latest?cb=20140820012458

Oh noooo!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 hours ago, Happienumber said:

I no longer HAVE ONE.

:miserable: noooo! It was beautiful! No way it can be repaired, it just shattered?

4 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Thank you! That one's called the Obi-Ani spin, I didn't just come up with it out of no where- there are a few youtube tutorials on it. I watched two of them to learn it (one didnt' seem to be enough lol, it was kind of tricky. but maybe it wouldn't be as tricky to someone who knew what they were doing.)

I'm pretty sure if I tried, chances are I would hit myself in the head :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah it's like hard-core broken, I snapped the hilt in half on mine and my friends broke the hilt in 3 places - honestly that is NOT the part of the saber I would have expected to break. The blades were both fine. However it's more annoying bc the blades would have been much easier to replace. The hilts I made from scratch out of pvc pipe fittings and I don't have any more of the part the broke. I've got about 5 more meters of straight pvc so cutting a new length of blade wouldn't have been a problem. But waaahhhhh.

I'm pretty sure if I tried, chances are I would hit myself in the head [emoji38]
Lol well did you SEE MY LIGHT FIXTURE???? hahahahaha

Actually I've been finding with that spin that what I actually have been hitting most is my leg. Doing the transition from the front of the body spin back to the starting point to go behind me, if I'm not careful I hit my leg with it. So I have to be aware.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

40 more handflips today so I'm at 131/500. Today they felt smoother than they have been.

Meditated for 10 minutes this morning and 10 minutes this evening, so I hit the 20 minute ultra - goal.

Planned out my food this morning and ate 2100 calories. It was hard, two of my meals I ate when not hungry AT ALL and really did not want them. But I felt like hockey was stronger tonight.... Food is fuel. Food is fuel. Food is fuel.

Finished a chapter in drawing words and writing pictures- drew my own take on Jack and Jill.

• Like 1

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Sad light sabers. The force must still be strong with it though if it still turns on. Good for you for eating all the food. Interested to hear what your take on Jack and Jill was. And you play hockey? I didn't remember that. There are some other gals on NF who play hockey.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:
Sad light sabers. The force must still be strong with it though if it still turns on. Good for you for eating all the food. Interested to hear what your take on Jack and Jill was. And you play hockey? I didn't remember that. There are some other gals on NF who play hockey.

I play hockey in the absolute most informal way possible lol. Ive only really started this year, mostly because I remeber the few times I casually played as a child with the neighborhood boys and being some of my fondest memories. I SUCKED at any of the techniques but I played hard. I played every sport really hard as a kid, being the only girl I felt like I had to prove myself. It worked- the boys were always hesitant to include me until I mushed someone into the ground LOL. But I didn't end up really learning the rule of any of the sports, just earning the most fouls of anyone on the team (tackling is illegal in basketball, btw... The more you know).

In the last month I've picked up the sport again but I don't have anyone to play with. I just have been doing skating drills (trying to learn how again! Man I'm wobbly) and shooting the Puck at an empty net. I might have some hockey skills as part of upcoming challenges.

Also my BFF has decided to become a hockey fan and I think that would be a great BFF activity (because somehow we recently both got excluded from the local football Fandom... We don't know why but we were always Invited to superbowl parties and for the last two years, not? So we are creating our own.) We are in very different places in life now- she got married and has two beautiful little kids now, and I'm excited to start ahving a new BFF activity to share and bond over again. So im putting forth an effort to learn the rules and organization to be a good hockey fan lol. I have decided we will be oilers fans. Hahaha. (Yes, I did google reseach on what team to be a new fan of lol. I like data before I make choices)

I'll post pics of the Jack and Jill story. It's just thumbnails at the moment - a rough sketch of the storyline, because that was the assignment, but I kind of like it so I think I might fully draw it in and ink it. I feel like it could be funnier- maybe I could get some feedback on my thumbnails about how it could be tweaked for maximum humor before I finalize :)

• Like 1

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Yesterday I clocked in at 2390 calories and omg that was so much food. I'm proud of myself for getting that much though, because I woke up late (read: five minutes after I NORMALLY LEAVE MY HOUSE) so I didn't have time to sit down and calculate what I was going to eat. I just grabbed handfuls of stuff out of my fridge, stuffed it into my duffle bag, and congratulated myself on successfully getting pants on as I ran out the door.

I stopped at my mother's after work to bring in wood and clean up the snow/ice situation, and she offered me dinner so I took the offer of free food and had porkchops and coleslaw and a gluten free blueberry muffin, without which I probably wouldn't have made goal. She also gave e me some avocado's which I could never afford so that's going to be a nice addition to my calorie intake this week.

Meditated for 15 minutes last night. I'm really liking the 10% happier app! Thank you for the suggestion! I've been cycling between that one, "stop breathe and think" and "simple habit".

Watched my first-ever hockey game last night and used the commercials and intermissions to do handflips and another chapter in my drawing book. (I don't have TV so I'm streaming the game, meaning the commercials are a silent screen that says "commercial break" lol. Perfect for quiet focus) 50 more handflips done :D

It's funny I'm finding with the handflips every day one hand or the other is better. Some days my right is just blazing along and my left is all awkward, other days I blast through 25 straight on my left hand without a fumble and I drop it every 2 flips on my right. It's odd?

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr