• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lexigent

Back on the track, now keep going

Hi! I just finished my first challenge in the newbie zone, so I feel I'm now ready to join the Scouts.

Outside of sports/fitness, I'm a big theatre fan (Shakespeare for preference, but if there are cheap tickets going I will see other things). I like to read, I write a bit, and I really like cooking for people. I listen to the radio a lot (I always have BBC Four audio dramas on in the background when I'm doing my chores). My favourite audio dramas/podcasts currently are Answer Me This!, The West Wing Weekly, The Reservoir Tapes, Tracks, Sawbones, Stuff You Missed In History Class (to name a few).

FItness-wise, I'm primarily into running. I've been running 10k distance for a while now but had to take some time off late last year due to injury. I used the first challenge to get back to 10k form and it worked fine. So now it's about maintaining it. I am running a 10k with a group at the beginning of March, so I am working towards that for this challenge. I am going to add strength training to my routine for this challenge. I haven't done any for a long time but I keep reading that it's really beneficial for endurance athletes to do, so I thought I'd give it a go.

My Main Quest for 2018 is to do a triathlon. Doing swimming and cycling as my replacement cardio when I was injured made me realise how much I like doing both of them, and so the triathlon ambition was born. I'm going to go for sprint distance, which is a challenge but one that I feel is doable.

My goals for the next couple of weeks are:

Goal 1 (fitness): Follow my running plan (3 runs a week) and run the 10k in March (hopefully with an improved PB but that is completely optional).

Goal 2 (fitness): Do strength training once a week. I just had someone write me a strength programme that complements running.

Goal 3 (diet): No caffeine after 2pm.

Goal 4 (level up your life): Start the day with the "momento" app (faith-focussed impulses for the day).

• Like 2

On 2/11/2018 at 4:47 PM, Lexigent said:

My Main Quest for 2018 is to do a triathlon. Doing swimming and cycling as my replacement cardio when I was injured made me realise how much I like doing both of them, and so the triathlon ambition was born. I'm going to go for sprint distance, which is a challenge but one that I feel is doable.

such an awesome goal! good luck on the triathlon. you can do this!

triathlon_eran_mendel.gif

The first week is over and it's been so-so. I overtrained and got ill and miserable, so I had to take four days off. I still managed three runs but no strength training. But I feel a lot better for it so I suppose it was needed.

I had no caffeine after 2pm at all this week and I remembered to do momento every day.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:47 PM, Lexigent said:

Hey hey! My goal for 2018 was a triathlon, though recent changes have led me to reconsider that goal. What time frame are your shooting for?

Thank you all for your encouragement! So, this week's progress:

Goal 1 (fitness): Follow my running plan (3 runs a week) and run the 10k in March (hopefully with an improved PB but that is completely optional). - achieved, I ran 3 times this week.

Goal 2 (fitness): Do strength training once a week. I just had someone write me a strength programme that complements running. - still not done anything on that. It has been too busy this week. I'm changing my schedule next week so that should hopefully help.

Goal 3 (diet): No caffeine after 2pm. - Achieved!

Goal 4 (level up your life): Start the day with the "momento" app (faith-focussed impulses for the day). - Achieved!

My sister has asked me to do a half marathon with her in August, so the triathlon plan is going to be parked/replaced by training for that. She's been a runner for longer than I have and we've never run a race together, I'm quite excited for it now!