Hi all, I’m a library director, a high school French teacher, a dad of two toddler-aged kids (son & daughter), and a lucky husband of a wife who is a huge support for getting fit – actually, I started because she took Mi Band 2’s stats seriously and began daily workouts. I followed because – competitiveness. And we figured we can’t afford becoming Jabbas in our 30s. I’m a huge Star Wars fan; also love Tolkien’s legendarium, Star Trek and Stargate. Used to play games; figured it took way too much of my time while not leaving meaningful trace. That’s why I now prefer writing SW fanfic. Huge lover of running – I just enjoy moving through landscape, reaching milestones and beautiful places by foot (I live in a scenic hilly part of Croatia). I do dumbbell and body-weight workouts to increase strength. I’m a non-Porg-eating vegan Chewie, in good company with Patrik Baboumian. :encouragement:

baboumianSjpg.jpg.572cbdc7aa3a4974fe90cf50967f2891.jpg

As you can see on my character page, my long-term fitness goals are: being lighter (170lbs), leaner (cut that gross belly!), stronger (esp. in the arms & chest), getting much more sleep (increase from 6 to 8 hours) and having deeper endurance. My shorter-term (3 month) goal quest is the following:

Main quest: Run between 10 and 15 km in the Wings for Life World Run (Zadar location) in May 6

Subquest 1: Increase weekly long distance run by 1 km each week so that it becomes 15k on March 11 [today, I ran 11k] <– daily steps for achieving it: follow the 7-day workout cycle (posted on my character page)

Subquest 2: Go to bed AND off the internet by 11pm –> because that will help me have more energy and endurance, give greater chance for my muscles to rebuild and, yes, increase the rate of losing belly fat

Subquest 3: Instead of checking phone or worrying about the day, start each of the following 28 days with Scripture study, meditation and prayer –> because that gives me peace, guidance and trust, and beats stress

So, let it begin!

quigonjin.jpg?w=420

P.S. I already told that in other posts, but I'm super excited about the NF movement. Fitness culture always looked dull and shallow to me. But with NF, I can retain all my dreamy nerdness and quirky geekness in the quest to be fit. Amazing!

• Like 6

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

These are great goals! good luck on your challenge, also will keep you in my prayers as well: good luck have fun!

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

| STR - 2 | DEX - 2 | INT- 3 | CON - 2 | WIS - 3 | CHA - 3 |

Previous challenge: Respawn of a swordmage

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream- C. S. Lewis

Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams- Zack Fair FF7 Crisis core

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage- Hero shade (The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

Thank you!! :)

Level 4 Padawan

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

Ooooh, I like this one :) I'm glad to hear we are the community you're looking for. Out of curiosity, do you still read EU books? The Thrawn Trilogy is my favorite set in the lore so far, but I have a lot more to read from there. 

It's definitely awesome that your wife is supportive of your fitness goals, IRL help is super important, and I like the scripture/meditation/prayer quest.

Also - yay running. Better get it before you need to run for the crummy old rust-bucket

the-force-awakens.jpg

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Haha, I love the photo; get's me going! :D Thanks for the support!!

Yeah, The Thrawn Trilogy was awesome! But to be honest, the only other EU books I've read are Shadows of the Empire (which I enjoyed quite a lot) and Truce at Bakura (which had some pretty atmospheric moments). Other than that, I read a whole lot of SW comics (mainly Old Republic age - enjoyed all from the Tales of the Jedi series); recently I read Dawn of the Jedi series, set in 25793 BBY, which was very interesting; I peeked into some of the newer Marvel ones (like From the Journals of Ben Kenobi or Yoda's Secret War), though they are canon, so I guess that doesn't count. :)) Not that I particularly enjoy comics - I don't read them usually, and actually prefer novels, but I found comics useful for getting the big picture of events and characters in a shorter amount of time. I also read and review fanfic and started reading the Aftermath series (but those are also canon novels). I mean, I'd love read more novels, but unfortunately time doesn't allow. :/

As for time, my off internet/going to bed time comes in 5 minutes, so I better get going. Hopefully, I'll chime in with the progress tomorrow.

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan

Finally some time to report.

Day 1

- Subquest 1: Successfully followed my workout routine required for increasing the long run coming on Sunday (Monday is an active recovery day where I need to make 8000+ steps by walking).

- Subqeust 2: Ironically, following the workout program for achieving subquest 1 made me fail at subquest 2. On Mondays, I work in the library until 10pm, and I still didn't get my 8000 steps, so I did them after work; and since it was in the heavy snow, it took me half an hour. When I got home, I didn't make it to bed by 11pm (though I was off the internet by then - just had to do the bathroom stuff). But at least I made it before midnight (which was a big improvement since I was regularly awake until 2am and not rarely till 3am and even later) and it felt good not feeling like a walking dead after waking up.
- Subquest 3: Since Feb 11 was not yet a challenge day, I stayed up until 3am, and the next day I couldn't get up in time to have meaningful meditation time. I just had a quick prayer, with a glance at Scripture while my kids were already up and running. I consider it a fail.

Day 2:

- Subquest 1: Successfully followed my daily workout routine for achieving it (Tuesday was again an active recovery day with 8000 steps walk + dumbbell workout).

- Subquest 2: Succeeded to get in bed by 11pm. I was also off the internet, but saved some articles for offline viewing before going to sleep. :)) It wasn't a long read though and I quickly got to sleep.

- Subquest 3: I don't know quite what to make of it. I did read Scripture, meditate and pray, but it was rather quick and interrupted by my son who got up early. He was silent (as my daughter and wife still slept) but nevertheless had constant requests, so I went to work (which started earlier this day, at 7:15am) not satisfied by the meditation time as I would have liked to be.

Day 3: *

- Subquest 3: Boy, this was a successful Scripture/meditation/prayer time. Yes, the kids again got up earlier than I thought, and my meditation time at first seemed doomed to fail. But I got them watching WALL-E (their currently favorite cartoon), and went off into my room, opened the window (though it's cold and snowy), and just soaked in the beauty of the nature as I read the Scripture, meditated and prayed. It was so good to get sense of God's presence and his majestic nature, reconnect and unburden my soul in prayer. Now I could go back to my kids and day's work with peace, wisdom and strength for the coming challenges.

* remaining:

- Subquest 1: Today is the HIIT running day. The school principal sent an e-mail yesterday, informing us that we have a meeting precisely at the time I planned to do my running. After that, I have another appointment until it gets dark. But I still hope to do my HIIT running today even though in the dark (I live in a remote countryside where there are no road lights for two kilometers in each direction). The snow melted away from the roads, though, so that eases the task.

- Subquest 2: I hope and plan to again go to bed by 11pm.

• Like 3

Level 4 Padawan

you got this man!! Keep it up, I still got to get my prayer/scripture/meditation in today lol 

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams- Zack Fair FF7 Crisis core

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage- Hero shade (The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

Thanks man!

So, officially my first HIIT run ever... I would lie if I said I wasn't intimidated going into dark cold night to run this thing; literally prayed for safety. But I wasn't gonna miss it. I put on my reflective safety vest, and thus began my love/hate relationship with interval running. Even worse than the HI interval itself was trying to continue LI running after it, while my body screamed "Collapse!" or "At least walk!" I'm confident my form was terrible, and the whole thing was less a regular HIIT run and more a fartlek (though not in a play but rather survival mode) - probably some awkward combination of both. I couldn't wait to get back into my good warm home. But the irony is, when I came by the door after 18:30/3km of HIIT run, I began to feel alright and saw on my Mi Band that I made only 5500 steps that day. So I thought, what the heck, let's do it a little more. I went back into dark and did 1 more km of it, this time giving it all (since in the other half of the first run I ran between %85 and 90% of effort). Truth be said, this wasn't 100% either, but it was definitely closer to it. Afterwards, when I went to check the stats, it was interesting to see that actually in the first run (where I was running more slowly in total) showed that I was in higher heart rate zones much more (7min of aerobic, 9min of anaerobic and even 1min of VO2max zone), while in the second, much faster run, I was in 1min of moderate, 1min of easy, 3min in aerobic and 1min of anaerobic zone. I would guess that I was finally warmed up enough. So maybe those initial mins of warm up inherent in the HIIT formula aren't enough? Anyway, I somehow pushed through it and thoroughly enjoyed my spinach/soy/oat/seitan protein meal after it.

As for sleeping, since yesterday was a Valentine's Day, I got to sleep a little later, and my meditation time today suffered a little because of it (since I got up later), but I had it nevertheless. At least, I was off internet by 11pm yesterday, and was off internet today in the morning to first finish my meditation time. That's a big win for me.

Today was an active recovery day, and I blended it with my time with son. We went for a 8000+ steps walk, but it got cold when the sun began setting in the other half of the walk. His hands began to feel cold; I tried to warm them up, but because of it the whole dad/son time ended up not so enjoyable to my son, so now I feel bad. I guess you can't always combine everything you want.

And now I'm running to bed and off the internet to fulfill my Subquest 2. :)

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

So, here's how it's going.

Thursday

Remaning Subquest (2): was successful.

Friday

Subquest 3: A little too short and interrupted, but still successfully completed.

Subquest 1: It was one of those bad days for the whole family, so I skipped my tempo run to be with my wife who really needed me present. However, I had a longer than usual dumbbell (6kg each) workout at home (245 reps in total plus lifting them while walking around the house, which I didn't count). I also worked out on a stepper which blew the hell out of me; and I had 8000+ steps at the end of the day. So, though I missed my tempo run, I guess I successfully compensated for it with other types of workout. I just know myself - if I discontinue the program altogether for a day, it will be hard for me to resume, so I practice ignoring the excuses coming to my mind for leaving it.

Subquest 2: Success. I gotta say I love getting to bed and getting off the internet before 11pm. Feels so much better.

Saturday

Subquest 3: Success.

Subquest 1: Enjoyed a weekly rest day. But after sundown (concluding the 24-hour Sabbath period from Friday sundown) did I go for a walk. However, as I was translating something, I actually forgot about it until 10:20pm (the old habit of anticipating a night's work crept in without notice). Successfully completing 8000 steps took just enough time to go a little over 11pm, so...

Subquest 2: I failed (but at least, I was off the internet).

Sunday

Subquest 3: Success.

Subquest 1: Today was finally the day to actually test the requirements of this subquest. I successfully ran 12km. Actually I stopped briefly at 11km thinking it was 12km, but when I saw it isn't, I ran one more km (and it was slower [6:16] due to me psychologically being prepared to end it 1km before; I tottered for a minute there:)). Since I missed my tempo run on Friday, I kind of compensated for it in this long run, and gave my best to run it as fast as possible without overtaxing myself. Guess what, it was my personal record (those 11km had an average tempo of 5:54 min/km). So yeah, finally I finished a 10+k run with below 6 min/km, which was my personal goal for a long time. So, feeling great and thankful it all went without injuries! :)
11km.thumb.jpg.58b67f27bfa405abdbeadb160f93cb59.jpg1km.thumb.jpg.12cb4deb5a152ed573ed955948775d54.jpg

Subquest 2: Yet to be fulfilled.

BTW I have a question. Since the majority of the run was in the anaerobic zone of heart rate, does that mean I'm still burning calories sitting on my butt (as with strength training)?

• Like 3

Level 4 Padawan

Dude way to knock this out of the park! Great job man keep it up!

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Failed to go to bed earlier than 11pm and the day barged in before I had meaningful Scripture/meditation/prayer time (I did some of it while doing other stuff, like cooking or watching out for kids, which is not the same; my mind was not focused), so that's a fail.

So far, subquest 2 is the one I fail most often, and subquest 3 usually also suffers because of it. Guess I need to keep more aware in the evenings and do all the stuff I need on time.

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

it may be something you just need to work on a bit more. You only fail if you stop trying tho lol. you got this

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Definitely, coz, dang, I failed again last night. It's especially challenging when my shift is until 10pm. But I'll endeavor to minimize all the things I have to do after that, so that I am in bed by 11.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Had a nice successful devotional time this morning. It seems I get more from it in shorter time when I get up earlier (6:45) than in longer time later (after 7 and 8). It's all so quiet and I don't have to worry about the kids.

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

Here's some great news regarding my long-term weight loss goal. The newly arrived scale showed 90kg (198 lbs), and that after the breakfast - and I was 92 (205 lbs) less than a month ago! So, the daily workout program and the protein-focused vegan diet pays out. Happy!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Level 4 Padawan

One more daily step to Subquest 1 (today was walking + strength training day) successfully completed - here's my battle log. Excruciating at times, but now feeling great. That first unkipped pull-up is still long ahead, though.

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan

On 2/13/2018 at 4:56 PM, MattSkywalker said:

Haha, I love the photo; get's me going! :D Thanks for the support!!

Yeah, The Thrawn Trilogy was awesome! But to be honest, the only other EU books I've read are Shadows of the Empire (which I enjoyed quite a lot) and Truce at Bakura (which had some pretty atmospheric moments). Other than that, I read a whole lot of SW comics (mainly Old Republic age - enjoyed all from the Tales of the Jedi series); recently I read Dawn of the Jedi series, set in 25793 BBY, which was very interesting; I peeked into some of the newer Marvel ones (like From the Journals of Ben Kenobi or Yoda's Secret War), though they are canon, so I guess that doesn't count. :)) Not that I particularly enjoy comics - I don't read them usually, and actually prefer novels, but I found comics useful for getting the big picture of events and characters in a shorter amount of time. I also read and review fanfic and started reading the Aftermath series (but those are also canon novels). I mean, I'd love read more novels, but unfortunately time doesn't allow. :/

As for time, my off internet/going to bed time comes in 5 minutes, so I better get going. Hopefully, I'll chime in with the progress tomorrow.

Oh, I have Shadows of the Empire about halfway read but I still need to read the rest. Darth Plagueis is also really good, though reading it while very sleep deprived wound up with some super trippy dreams afterwards ^^; The whole thing is from the sith perspective, but it answers a lot of questions left from the prequels that I really wanted answers to. Audible is my best friend when it comes to reading anymore... which is why I managed to eat the Thrawn Trilogy in like a week, and Darth Plagueis in a couple of days, but haven't finished Shadows (or even the last Skulduggery Pleasant book) yet :/ 

Sounds like the goals are going super well! Do you have a set spot you like to do your prayer/meditation time? My mom used to do the same thing you describe where she'd get up before any of the rest of us and do her devotions and reading then, but unlike your kids I don't think any of us were usually up early enough to bother her while she did that.

15 hours ago, MattSkywalker said:

Here's some great news regarding my long-term weight loss goal. The newly arrived scale showed 90kg (198 lbs), and that after the breakfast - and I was 92 (205 lbs) less than a month ago! So, the daily workout program and the protein-focused vegan diet pays out. Happy!

giphy.gif

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Hey Matt, great looking challenge sir! I saw your title and it reminded me of one of my favorite SW Books: Wraith Squadron. I can't remember if it's canon or not, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Keep up the hard work, sir!

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

19 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Oh, I have Shadows of the Empire about halfway read but I still need to read the rest. Darth Plagueis is also really good, though reading it while very sleep deprived wound up with some super trippy dreams afterwards ^^; The whole thing is from the sith perspective, but it answers a lot of questions left from the prequels that I really wanted answers to. Audible is my best friend when it comes to reading anymore... which is why I managed to eat the Thrawn Trilogy in like a week, and Darth Plagueis in a couple of days, but haven't finished Shadows (or even the last Skulduggery Pleasant book) yet :/

Haha, laughed out hard about the Plagueis-inspired trippy dreams. :D Actually sounds fascinating - I'm putting it higher on my SW to-read list. Yeah, I need to introduce more audiobooks into my reading schedule. I'm a slow reader who likes to stop and meditate, imagine the scenes and feelings, and associate things and ideas, while audiobook keeps me running through the book. I liked the vividness of SotE's descriptions of Coruscant's underground. Luke's thought that he didn't like the idea of getting molecules of horrible smell through his mouth (since it was unbearable to the nose) stayed with me to this day, and returns EVERY time I encounter horrible smells. :D

19 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Sounds like the goals are going super well! Do you have a set spot you like to do your prayer/meditation time? My mom used to do the same thing you describe where she'd get up before any of the rest of us and do her devotions and reading then, but unlike your kids I don't think any of us were usually up early enough to bother her while she did that.

Thanks! I could do better with sleeping though... :X I haven't designated a particular spot, but I am usually in my bedroom, I open the window and soak in the nature (even when its snowy and windy) to induce reverence and open communication channels with the Creator of it all. I live in a remote countryside, on a hill with a row of majestic pines towering above our house, morning sunlight graciously peeking in through them. And when it's warm, I prefer to go and have meditation outside. Being in nature helps me connect with the reality that is higher than myself and our human-made 'boxes', and with the One that is even higher than that reality - it expands my mind and opens it to vast and beautiful insights. I can't even explain it exactly, but being in nature does something special to my meditation time.

P.S. Love the high three. :D

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

3 hours ago, Wolfpool said:

Hey Matt, great looking challenge sir! I saw your title and it reminded me of one of my favorite SW Books: Wraith Squadron. I can't remember if it's canon or not, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Keep up the hard work, sir!

Wolf

Oh yeah, the X-Wing series - novels from the golden age of the EU. I remember quite a lot names from them, like Corran Horn, Ysanne Isard, Tycho Celchu and Mirax, that I begin to think I must have read some of them (maybe Rogue Squadron). I don't know for sure, but I know I spent quite a time in early 2000s skimming through SW books in the book shop, reading SW Databank, and leading an RP where such names would often drop by.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

I hate to say this, but I blew up lately.

Tuesday

Subquest 2: Failed to go to bed AND even off the internet by 11pm, and stayed awake until 2am browsing NF forums and reading Strength Running articles. :/

giphy.gif

Actually, it is my fault.

Wednesday

Subquest 3: Had to get up early because I traveled  with the school I work in, and since I slept only 5 hours, I skipped my devotions (a few short minutes of rushed reading without meditation & prayer is just not it), so I failed.

Subquest 1: Didn't do my scheduled interval running; I only did a short sprint over the stairs to the fourth floor and 9415 steps of walking. But this was not such a big failure since I was on a school trip to Tesla-themed expositions (a good alibi :P) and, probably more important, I overdid my legwork lifting in the evening the day before, and later (in that SR articles reading night) I learned it's not healthy to have an intensive run after demanding legwork. I felt my quads and hamstrings were pretty sore, so I thought it's not worth the risk. Therefore, this may have been the right step to fulfilling the actual subquest 1 requirement (running 13 km this Sunday).

BUT, happy to report that I am getting back on track.

giphy.gif

Subquest 2: After a series of failures, I finally successfully got to bed by 11pm.

Today (Thursday)

Subquest 3: Successfully had my Scripture/meditation/prayer time, with a nice bedside view to a fresh snow, this time from a Siberian front. I'm getting nervous about subquest 1 on Sunday, though, since it is announced that temperatures will go as low as -17 °C (1.4 °F). I don't know how will I run 13 km in that.

Level 4 Padawan

“This is a new day, a new beginning.” – Ahsoka Tano

dunno if youre a star wars purs tor not, but I thought this was fitting.  We all fail from time to time, but as you said before, we rise again. giphy.gif

• Like 1

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Right on! Thanks. And the GIF is from one of my favorite SW Rebels episodes (and planets). :) Ahsoka FTW!

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan