Hypotheticalfox Eats Lunch

Admittedly, this is going to be one of the lamest daily battle logs on the site. My daily achievement, strength progression, and other tidbits will likely be posted in my 4 week challenges (unless I decide to change my mind). I’ll be using this primarily to post pictures of my lunch each work day.

Why my lunch? A fair question.

My daughter, Bee, was diagnosed at 4 months with FPIES with her trigger foods being cow’s milk proteins (any dairy) and soy, it was a rough 4 months of being in and out of the hospital, doctors labeling it everything from flu to “well we don’t know, really”, getting IVs, getting a spinal tap at one point because of such severe dehydration, getting a pic line... it goes on. Finally, a very smart pediatric gastroenterologist diagnosed it as food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES).

We’re really lucky that Bee only has two trigger foods and the rest of the food world is safe for her. It’s a rare condition, but some FPIES kids have only 7-10 SAFE food and have to get most of their nutrients from a hypoallergenic formula (and not just through childhood either).

I learned quickly once she started eating real food, however, that pretty much all processed foods tend to have either soy or dairy in them, so I got really good at home cooking and reading labels really fast. I also realized that there are almost no convenient restaurants that we can take her to and safely order her a real meal. So if we want to go out to dinner, I have to pack her a meal to bring... luckily we live in the sticks and don’t have many opportunities for eating out anyway.

The other thing I realized as my maternity leave came to an end (luckily I’m in a field that I could take a full year off and we had previously saved enough money for me to do so) was that no sitter or day care we sent her to, no matter the price or quality, had soy and dairy free food options guaranteed every day, and therefore, I’d be packing Lunchies every day for the foreseeable future.

So I started packing hers.

Then I realized that her Lunchies were generally healthier and prettier than mine, and that I wasted a lot of money grabbing junk when I didn’t pack one.

So I started packing mine, too.

I also realized that two things helped me not grow bored of packing Lunchies. First, if they look appealing and second, if I think someone is seeing them.

So I’ll be posting my lunch pictures here, just in case anyone wants to see them and to keep me from getting stale and repetitive in my lunch choices.

c59c31f81a659bd86095cbc022f0849e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks so much for sharing the story behind your lunches, looking forward to more pics!

• Like 1

I’ve found that konbucha works even better than yoghurt for that sort of thing. It might not be available in the sticks though. Forget I said anything.

I wish you were packing my lunches; they look great.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I’ve found that konbucha works even better than yoghurt for that sort of thing. It might not be available in the sticks though. Forget I said anything.

I wish you were packing my lunches; they look great.

Yah, not a ton of kombucha options around here. We usually drive back to buffalo on Sundays for big family breakfast (much more convenient when we lived 10 mins not an hour away, but you know... tradition, family time, free grandparent babysitting for the afternoon) so I’ll have to check Wegmans for some. I’ve heard it has an... interesting taste. Thoughts?

59ddf12669948a19156cacf0ab393a1b.jpg
Deconstructed burger (lettuce, salted tomato, pickles, cut up burger (and a few leftover pieces of chicken burger), apple, almonds and pecans, unsweetened/plain yogurt with strawberries.

I saw how much sugar was in the little activia yogurts compared to their size and bought a tub of plain probiotic super yogurt instead this week. The pluses: it was cheaper and it’s probably better for me. The minuses: yogurt’s natural flavor is so sour it turns out! Like more sour than sour cream. I added berries to try to neutralize it, but I’m side-eyeing the mini-jug of maple syrup a student gave me for Christmas (we live in maple country and a surprising amount of my kids live on corn/cow/maple farms). It would be counter productive to buy unsweetened yogurt only to add maple syrup to it though, right?

PS- anyone in the sort of western New York area get your calendars ready. It’s almost MAPLE WEEKEND!
(It’s a thing out here. Sleigh rides and maple based activities on all the maple farms. Something that, like the Applumpkin Festival, I had no freakin clue about until I moved out here.)

• Like 1