The Silver Archer: Boundary Defense

SkyGirl

On the pushups, in addition to what EG has said, contract your abs to help keep a straight spine, your chest should hit the ground. Practicing planks will help with pushups.

10 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

There is so much goodness to unpack in this ... I didn't realize it was self-flagellating, but I think you're right. I treat myself like a dumb-butt who has to be dragged into doing the right thing, when that's really not true at all. I do want to do the right thing and I actively seek that out.

You are a wise butt who is doing her best. You ARE doing the right thing.

What you said about Truth blew up my mind a little bit and I need to think about that. I legitimately don't think I've ever thought about it that way before - that it's about knowing Christ better, not about gaining more facts and dates and doctrines. "Truth" has always been something to be striven for and lived by and defended from error. But looking at Christ as Truth (not "the truth," but Truth itself) transforms this militant, achievement-driven mindset into something rich and experiential. And that would affect my prayer life too - so often, I still pray in a rather formal way and submit my requests, and I say I trust God to answer, but I act like I still have to make things happen and find the answers on my own. 

It's easy to have a cognitive faith and neglect experience and relationship, many of us have been there.

I'm feeling so frustrated with myself for struggling with all this. And I'm going to do what my counselor said and not sugar-coat or apologize for that. I'm angry at myself. These are the foundations of my faith and I'm still doing so many things wrong. I don't even understand or relate to God in the right way. And while I can see the positive side that at least I'm learning now and "better late than never" and all that, I just want it to "click" so I can level up and find that peace and relationship that I've desperately wanted and missed out on for the 24 years I've been a believer. Yes, I could blame the church I spent my teen years in; but I was filled up with good doctrines at other churches before that, and I've been taught and mentored in good doctrine by others since. At least some of this is on me and my anxious, performance-driven personality, and it's related to all my other relationship struggles (or maybe is the root of it), and I just feel like giving myself a good shake and demanding to know why all of this is so hard to implement when it makes so much sense.

I applaud you for coming out and stating how you feel. Your anger is valid. You have high expectations for yourself and feel like you have failed to meet them. I do not wish to invalidate your emotions. I do want to challenge the assumptions on which that anger is based. You are treating yourself as though you should already know these things. That is still based in the cognitive model of faith. Just because you knew certain things it does not automatically mean you should be able to do certain things. For example, I know what proper form and technique should be for bowling, and I am terrible at bowling. This isn't a question of right and wrong. You did the best you knew how to do. You have been given new ways to consider connecting to God, and are growing into them. It's not your fault you had never considered them a certain way before. We are built needing to learn these things. My own personal theory is that even without sin in the picture, people would still need to grow and mature in their faith. It's hard to implement because knowing what should be and knowing how to do it are two different things. Knowing how meditation is supposed to work is a lot different from being able to meditate. Please be gentle with yourself. You have done nothing wrong. Instead of beating yourself up for needing to learn something, I invite you to celebrate your new learning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Also, apologies for the crazy hair; this was post-bath so my hair was undone and I had taken my makeup off.

What to say to literally ANYONE who feels the need to say something

anigif_enhanced-19166-1403274947-7.gif?d

(Sassy Janeway is an excellent image search)

I get that desire to present yourself in an empowering way or a way that makes you feel ready to take on the world, but you don't need to be ON all the time. You certainly don't need to put up with anyone who can't handle the HORRORS of undone hair and a makeup free face. <3 <3 <3 Don't apologize for that! You are lovely and amazing no matter what your level of formality because you are compassionate, creative, and kind.

I'm angry at myself. These are the foundations of my faith and I'm still doing so many things wrong. I don't even understand or relate to God in the right way. And while I can see the positive side that at least I'm learning now and "better late than never" and all that, I just want it to "click" so I can level up and find that peace and relationship that I've desperately wanted and missed out on for the 24 years I've been a believer.

I would suggest giving yourself the patience you'd give a child. You're starting this relationship over from the foundation and building it back up into something stronger and more beautiful. There's a lot of joy to be had in that! See if you can't choose to celebrate this process rather than looking at it like an achievement with an end result. Maybe track your biases like you would fitness--write down a bunch of baggage you want to get rid of and cross them out as you let them go so you can see your progress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Koaladle said:

(Sassy Janeway is an excellent image search)

Couldn't resist this. Glad I didn't :D There are some gems on there. 

c6261e17cba518462bc5a83f01b49c84.gif  giphy.gif

• Like 3

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

15 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

That's a much better prayer and what I really want.  :)  I want so much to be truly in tune with Him, like the great heroes of the faith were - George Muller, Hudson Taylor, Gladys Aylward - the people who knew Him so intimately that they trusted Him for their literal food and provisions and moment-by-moment direction. As Hudson Taylor said, I know it's mine for the asking ... but that kind of relationship sometimes feels like it's reserved for the "special" Christians, not us ordinary middle-class Midwestern Christians. I know that's not true, but it does feel awfully unattainable sometimes.

I find myself thinking this way too. That I'm not a "special Christian like those I read about or see in my church who I think are super spiritual. The problem with that line of thinking is that  it  doesn't point to God, it points to people.  If those people are "special" than all God had to do was choose them, he didn't have to work in their lives at all, because they were so "good" already.  But if those people struggled with sins, and failures, than it points to a loving God who chooses to work in us and change us through His grace. 

I think perhaps those people were humble, and listened to God, and so he was able to use them. But if we knew them in person, we would also see that their were area God needed to work in their lives to make them more like Him.

I loved all those biographies, and am very thankful that they were written. But I do have a concern with them. I think in the author's desire to inspire and tell about wonderful Christian people, by omitting any of their personal struggles, it ends up coming across like you said that they were somehow special or different from us. When we read about Peter, Paul or David in the Bible we see their sins, but by seeing their sins and struggles  we see a good God who is able to work in us and change us. 

I'm thinking that to add to your -life list to do you should written biographies for children that reflect Christians who do wonderful things, but who also struggle and that will point more to God's grace.:)

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

WOW, you guys, thank you SO much for all the pointers on both my push-ups and my analysis of my spiritual development ... all of you have given me so much to think about. I'm going to try some push-ups before bed using your pointers - I'll report tomorrow how it goes.  :) 

Today was an incredibly quiet day - I overslept and missed an appointment to take pictures of one of my classmates, which I felt lousy about, but another classmate took pictures of him and they looked awesome and he was happy, so it worked out, I guess. After that I had Bible study, which was about caring for people the way that the shepherd in the parable sought out the lost sheep; and after that, I just sat at my desk and wrote the whole rest of the day. I did take a short break to walk across campus and get a bagel for lunch, and another short walk late in the afternoon, all of which added up to 4.35 miles of walking, and I will do my push-ups before bed. I got home late tonight and had to cook dinner, and I'm a slow cook, so I ran out of time to do yoga. But I definitely want to do some tomorrow.  :) 

This evening I did spend a bit of time talking with my mom and getting details ironed out for our departure to Colorado on Sunday!  :D  I'm really excited - there are lots of cool museums, art galleries, and shopping places within walking distance of my hotel, and Mom decided to rent a car, so we're going to try to drive a little ways into the mountains and to see Coors Field and an air and space museum. We're ambitiously trying to squeeze a two-week vacation into just four days, but I think we can do it!!

22 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Edited to add: Thanks for the link to the yoga, I think I'll give it a go. And THANK YOU so much for doing solidarity push ups with me!

I think you'd like this practice! She didn't go as much into mindset as I hoped she would, because "peaceful warrior" is pretty much exactly the kind of person I want to be, but it was a really strong stretch over my whole body and that was awesome. 

And OF COURSE. You are MORE than welcome. It is my pleasure to support you in any tiny way I can!!

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

You are obviously super strong and it shows.

Do you really think so??  :D  :D  :D 

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Please be gentle with yourself. You have done nothing wrong. Instead of beating yourself up for needing to learn something, I invite you to celebrate your new learning.

Thank you, Tank, I really appreciate this and everything else in your lovely post. I'm too sleepy to respond to everything you said tonight, but I am so grateful for your wisdom and compassion and how freely and generously you share them.

12 hours ago, Koaladle said:

I get that desire to present yourself in an empowering way or a way that makes you feel ready to take on the world, but you don't need to be ON all the time. You certainly don't need to put up with anyone who can't handle the HORRORS of undone hair and a makeup free face. <3 <3 <3 Don't apologize for that! You are lovely and amazing no matter what your level of formality because you are compassionate, creative, and kind.

You're the BEST, Koala!!  :D  Makeup is a big deal for me - my mom never ever left the house without her full face of makeup on and her hair clean and curled, and she passed that on to my sister and me. I've gotten a bit more lax in the last few months (meaning, I let my Bible study girls see me without eyeliner), but I still am incredibly self-conscious about my face and hair. I know I shouldn't be. You guys are family and you don't judge.  ;) 

And YASS. Sassy Janeway is the BEST image search.

g2eJOrj.gif 

11 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Couldn't resist this. Glad I didn't :D There are some gems on there.

Actually, Janeway GIFs of all sorts are my legit pick-me-up when I'm tired or down. Her strength, resilience, compassion, sass, and badassery motivate me daily.

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif 

12 hours ago, Koaladle said:

Maybe track your biases like you would fitness--write down a bunch of baggage you want to get rid of and cross them out as you let them go so you can see your progress. 

Oops, missed this before! This is a really good suggestion and journaling about / tracking what I learn and change would be super helpful. Let me think about what I would write down and where - I really want to do this!

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'm thinking that to add to your -life list to do you should written biographies for children that reflect Christians who do wonderful things, but who also struggle and that will point more to God's grace.:)

This would be really helpful - you're right, most of those biographies didn't talk much about the humanity and struggles of their subjects. I think this is one of the reasons that Rich Mullins is actually right at the top of the list of Christians who inspire me most - he struggled with alcoholism and sexual temptation his whole life, many years after he gave his life to Christ; but even though those temptations never left him, he filled himself with the love and knowledge of God and strove to grow and mature. Even though he was a profoundly broken and imperfect man, it is my opinion that he knew God in a personal and intimate way that so many Christians never do. There are already a lot of books and even a movie out about him, but I'd love to write one more. Maybe for teens.  :) 

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

Oh, yes, very important news - I also discovered today that they now make Funko Pop! characters of Mister Rogers and Bob Ross:

jpeg

52809165?wid=1400 

... and that is all. I need say no more.

• Like 5

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

Today was a sort of up-and-down day ... I woke up late and still tired for the third umpteenth day in a row, and realized immediately upon waking that my learner's permit was expired and they probably wouldn't let me fly without a valid ID; so after class, I spent an hour on the phone with the license branch, three airports and the TSA trying to figure out what to do. It turns out that I'll most likely be asked to complete an interview and pat-down when I get to each airport, and they recommended that I build an extra half-hour into my arrival time at each stop.  :(  And it would have been completely avoidable if I had just gotten my permit updated and quit putting it off. That's the worst part.

After that, I was even more tired and in a terrible mood; and even worse, I went into my meeting with my advisor and listened to her list all of the things I haven't done, again, and tell me I needed to hurry up on them, which was frustrating. I wish she would ask me if I needed help, or probe to see what I was struggling with, or something besides just reminding me of all the things I haven't done yet. I spent most of the afternoon feeling exhausted and defeated and like even though I feel like I work all the time, it's never enough to complete what I need to complete.

But, things started to look up slightly after that - as I sat at my desk moping and feeling angry at and sorry for myself, for some reason I remembered all the letters that my friends and family wrote before my retreat; and I remembered how almost every one of them said I was strong - even though I almost never feel it, they all see strength that I don't. That motivated me not to give in to my tiredness and to keep working and doing my best. I dropped in to update my editor on my work and my upcoming trip, and he gave me a great pep talk and reminded me of all the exciting things I've done or had happen in the last couple of months, and how proud he is of me. And best of all, this evening, my very favorite professor agreed to be on my committee, and he gave me some helpful, concrete ways to make progress on my thesis and not be so overwhelmed. Having him on my committee means I will have access to his help and advice anytime I need it, and knowing that is an incredible relief.

So ... it wasn't the best day, but it had some pretty darn awesome things to balance out the tired sucky stuff. No yoga, but there will be pushups - I'm down for 50 solidarity pushups.  :)  I might not make it through all 50 tonight, but I bet I can do at least 40. (Some will be on the knees.)

I also need sleep, to try to shake off this I-can't-do-anything-right mood. Not even sure this post is making any sense because I'm so tired. I'm also feeling the anxiety creeping back into the edges of my consciousness again, and I'd rather that didn't happen ...

giant-yawn.gif 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

Today was a good day, fairly productive ... I let myself sleep as long as I wanted this morning in hopes of improving my mood, and that didn't really help, but I sure felt better physically when I woke up.  :)  Spent most of the day in the office writing again, and I did get one of the two large tasks done, which was a massive relief. I also walked a fair amount, practiced 10 knee pushups with good form, found a bunch of good articles to read on the plane, and am slowly chugging through my stats homework.

I did a little emotional processing today ... my advisor made me angry this morning by correcting me for something I didn't do, and then reminding me yet again that I am three weeks behind schedule and what the consequences of not finishing on time are going to be. She reminded me of this just yesterday, and on Tuesday, and the Thursday before that - I am very aware that I am behind. So I wrote her back an email that politely but firmly made it clear that I am aware of the proper protocols and the proper timelines and that I intend to follow them to the best of my ability, and she apologized; and later I clearly explained to my parents why I am so frustrated with her management style and how angry it made me. I did go on to add the "second layer" of explaining away her actions and playing down my feelings, which I'm not supposed to do, but it felt pretty good to even just admit that I was angry. I don't do that very often.

I've also been worrying about my sister because she's worried about herself ... she has fairly severe anxiety and panic attacks, which she manages pretty well without medication, but she also has a lot of physical symptoms that scare her. She gets heart palpitations and panic attacks when she lies down too quickly or exercises, she has trouble sleeping, and she thinks she's losing muscle mass. She's had blood tests, worn heart monitors, and been checked several times by several doctors, and they have all said she's healthy and it's only anxiety, but she thinks it's more than that, and I know her bad feelings stress her out terribly. Therefore, they stress me out too. Last night I dreamed that she and I got lost along a highway in the middle of the night, and I spent the night trying to guide her back to safety. Once I woke up, I realized that was my subconscious trying to figure out how to protect her and help her feel better. 

Tomorrow I have a lot to do to get ready to fly; and I think that pressure is increasing my stress and anxiety levels a bit. I'm going to try to take care of myself as I work tomorrow - listen to music, eat enough, take a nap if I need to. I don't want my mini-vacation disrupted by racing thoughts.  :) 

Edit: Also, I know I'm still doing a lot of introspecting in this challenge, and I apologize for all my navel-gazing ... going to counseling has made me hyperaware of my emotional state and how I'm reacting to it much of the time, and so I spend a lot of time thinking about myself, and winding up in a weird thought-spiral. I know this challenge hasn't been as interesting as some, and I don't feel like I'm accomplishing too much; but sometimes even just hanging onto a little progress is better than nothing.

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

7 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Edit: Also, I know I'm still doing a lot of introspecting in this challenge, and I apologize for all my navel-gazing ... going to counseling has made me hyperaware of my emotional state and how I'm reacting to it much of the time, and so I spend a lot of time thinking about myself, and winding up in a weird thought-spiral. I know this challenge hasn't been as interesting as some, and I don't feel like I'm accomplishing too much; but sometimes even just hanging onto a little progress is better than nothing.

Let's unpack this.

First off, this is your challenge and it can be about whatever you need it to be. The goal is a healthy body and a happy

heart, not to entertain the masses. 

Secondly, this challenge is fascinating. Few people are willing to be so honest and vulnerable about their personal growth and we are privileged to be invited along.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Koaladle said:

Let's unpack this.

First off, this is your challenge and it can be about whatever you need it to be. The goal is a healthy body and a happy

heart, not to entertain the masses. 

Secondly, this challenge is fascinating. Few people are willing to be so honest and vulnerable about their personal growth and we are privileged to be invited along.

Yep. Koaladle has it right.

• Thanks 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks, @Koaladle, you are the rockingest. @Tanktimus the Encourager, you are the rollingest. That doesn't sound as cool. But you know what I mean.

tenor.gif?itemid=5020990 

The hours are counting down for my flight to Denver and I'm starting to get really excited ... which, of course, always translates into the nervous "I think I'm getting sick" feelings that really are just anxious excitement.  :)  I'm drinking echinacea tea to boost my immune system, sparingly eating digestively gentle foods, and doing my darndest to get this wretched stats homework done because I don't want to take it with me and spoil my mini-vacay. 

Dad will be here to pick me up around 1:45AM so we can get to the airport for our 6AM flight. I'm planning to be quite active on the trip if I get enough homework done this evening - I went to campus earlier and took a short walk, and I'm packing my gym clothes and swimsuit, and despite my dad's dire warnings not to go "rampaging around Denver", I plan to walk and explore quite a lot.  :D 

I'll be posting a lot on my Instagram, so feel free to follow along if you don't already!

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

We got into Denver yesterday after two long flights and having not slept in 24-ish hours, so I'm still dragging butt today and feeling sleepy and groggy; but it is SO STINKING BEAUTIFUL and I'm so excited to be looking at the same mountains that Bob Ross painted and John Denver sang about!!  :D 

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

8 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

We got into Denver yesterday after two long flights and having not slept in 24-ish hours, so I'm still dragging butt today and feeling sleepy and groggy; but it is SO STINKING BEAUTIFUL and I'm so excited to be looking at the same mountains that Bob Ross painted and John Denver sang about!!  :D

Having flown in and out of both Atlanta and Denver several times I'd say you're definitely on the winning end right now.  Enjoy your travels!

1 minute ago, TGP said:

I don't think its possible to get tired of the rocky mountains when you fly

Now driving, on the other hand...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Enjoy your trip :)

• Thanks 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

It's a beautiful night in Denver, and I'm resting in my hotel room, watching Thor: The Dark World ... I've felt unwell most of the day (dizziness, upset stomach, fatigue, feeling chilled) and am getting worse as the evening goes on, which is a bit worrisome, since we fly back tomorrow. I'll have to ask the concierge to hunt me up some medicine if I don't feel better soon. I'm sure it's mainly just the stress of travel, but the thought of flying for 10 hours feeling like this is not appealing.

Anyway ... hi!  :)  It's actually been a fairly quiet trip for me, and a lovely break away from home. Yesterday we went to the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum and the Denver Botanic Gardens:

Mom and I had a lot of fun, despite both of us still being tired and a little on the cranky side. Then today, I stayed at the hotel all day while Mom was at her workshops, and rested and worked on my stats homework ... I thought I felt weak all day because I didn't eat much, but I actually felt worse after I ate; so while I initially planned to go to the gym, I just did some lunges and elevated pushups in my room, and then sat down to rest. 

And enjoyed the view:

Someday I will come back here and go up into the mountains, when I have more time ... I can see a bright light nestled in between two peaks that I desperately wonder what it is, and watching the glimmering strings of traffic snaking up and disappearing into the ridges is filling me with wanderlust. I wish I could grab my backpack and just start walking.  :)  Silly RangerBrain©. 

Tomorrow I'll be up early and Mom and I fly out in the early afternoon - more miles of rucking with luggage.  :)  So tonight I'm going to keep resting, maybe find some bananas for my stomach, and finish Thor. I legit did not know that the bad guys in this movie were called "dark elves" and now I'm rethinking my entire narrative arc ...

giphy.gif  

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

I'm home and slowly on the mend!! I was quite sick most of the day Tuesday, but the Lord mercifully held my symptoms in check on Wednesday so I was able to fly home without incident ... yesterday and today I've still had recurrent bouts of upset stomach and dizziness, but I'm definitely getting better.

Tomorrow there shall be Exercise. I want to get up early and go to the corec for yoga class, but I feel so shy ...  *headdesk*  Even though the classes are intentionally structured so you can begin and attend whenever you like, I still feel weird about going for the first time when we're halfway through the semester. Still, I did pay $40 for a class pass, so - I'll let you know if I work up my nerve.  :) 

Lots of thoughts this week on the school/career front ... the professor whom I assumed was going to be on my committee said he might not be a good fit for my project, which was massively disappointing; I found out that I currently don't have funding for the fall semester; I'm still straddling the fence between "I don't want to do this stupid thesis" and "I'm going to hate myself if I don't do this stupid thesis"; and I'm still waiting to hear back from NASA. Part of me wants to hurry up and graduate and get out, and the other part is scared because I still have no idea what I'm going to do next.

But I won't be deciding any of that tonight.  :)  And my stomach is starting to growl, so that's how I know I'm up too late and it's time for bed!!

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

47 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry you were sick, thankful that you felt alright on the plane. That would have been miserable

Yes, especially since we flew through heavy turbulence on both flights - being sick to my stomach would have made that miserable!!  :P 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

wow what an adventure.

sorry for your suffering though.  Turbulent airplanes are nasty torture.

you know I've actually heard of people getting quite hurt by clear air turbulence. 

I'm not "up" alot in the airplane; I generally feel the safest place is to be seated down- with the oxygen masks comfortably hidden above my head.

if something happens; recently in the US at least; good odds.  maybe not so much the restless person that walks the aisle.

sometimes I miss traveling alot.

but usually when traveling; I mostly just want to go home.  it doens't help that 99% of my crude oil conference is completely irrelevant.

(I forgot- why do they send me to those conferences?....)

well bless them.  I'd have a horribly isolated view of the world staying in small town, Northwestern Pennsylvania

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

I finally went to the gym today!! 

Elsa-and-Anna-image-elsa-and-anna-362636 

I was really, really relieved that, even though I didn't have much gas for cardio today, I haven't lost any strength, and in fact might have gained a bit, especially in my upper body:

Spoiler

Workout 3/3/18

Walk on self-powered treadmill: 7 minutes 
Squat machine, 40 lbs: 20 reps
Overhead press machine, 10 lbs: 15 reps
Overhead press machine, 7.5 lbs: 10 reps
Low pull machine, 30 lbs: 10 reps
Low pull machine, 25 lbs: 10 reps
High pull machine, 30 lbs: 10 reps 
High pull machine, 25 lbs: 10 reps 
Chest press machine, 30 lbs: 20 reps

Leg press machine, 120 lbs: 10 reps

Leg press machine, 140 lbs: 5 reps

Leg press machine, 160 lbs: 1 rep (just to see if I could do it)

Even though I love yoga, love that I can do it in my living room and love the feeling of stillness that it brings, it felt really good to get back out and crank out some heavy (for me) lifting. Pushing myself to do more than ordinary activities reminds me that I'm in this for greatness and strength - I'm on this journey to become more than I am, or maybe to find the limits of who I could be. Flying to new places, reaching for new opportunities, trying a new weight level just to see if I can do it - all of those things are pushing my boundaries and seeing how big, how brave, and how strong I can be. And, it makes me want to be even more.  :) 

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

1 hour ago, TGP said:

sometimes I miss traveling alot.

but usually when traveling; I mostly just want to go home.  it doens't help that 99% of my crude oil conference is completely irrelevant.

(I forgot- why do they send me to those conferences?....)

I love the parts of traveling that happen in the daytime ... but as evening rolls around, I always, inevitably wish I were back home in my own house, eating dinner in my own kitchen and getting ready to relax in my own bed. So ... I leave it up to your judgment whether I actually love traveling or not.  :P 

Also, I'm afraid I agree with you on conferences. Each one I go to seems a little less meaningful than the previous one. 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

1 hour ago, SkyGirl said:

Also, I'm afraid I agree with you on conferences. Each one I go to seems a little less meaningful than the previous one. 

There is a constant of diminishing returns on conferences. The first one seem pretty cool, but the more you go the more they seem the same, then they become torture.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Current Challenge

SO MUCH DOMS TODAY

tenor.gif?itemid=4641341

Today I'm getting regrouped for Week 4. I weighed myself this morning, and I've lost 0.4 pounds to settle at 117.0 lbs (still 3 pounds heavier than before Christmas, though). I'm not sure whether I want to actively focus on losing weight right now, because I suspect that might be unsustainable with as much as I have going on in other areas; so I think I'm just going to try to be mindful, cut a few calories here and there as I think of it, and make sure to hit that 3-miles-a-day mark and stay active.

I also realized yesterday that changing my diet is not a priority right now. And that kind of felt - okay. For the last couple of years I've carried around the burden of "I should eat healthier" and "I should cook more" and "I should eat more vegetables and protein" and "I should check out some paleo books from the library" and so forth. But as I was eating lunch yesterday (one slice of leftover pizza, half a breadstick, one cup of biryani rice, and one cup of yogurt), I realized that what I'm doing is working okay enough for me to keep doing it for now. I don't eat very much, quantity-wise. I don't drink soda more than once or twice a month. I do eat/drink too much sugar, and in stupid things like juice and sugary yogurt and coffee creamer, but since I'm aware of that, maybe that's the place where I can make small changes and shave off some calories each day. 

But the point is, it's okay to admit that this isn't something I want to focus on right now. It's okay to put my focus on increasing my physical activity so I use up the calories, instead of the much more daunting task of changing my diet. Yes, I do need to eat more vegetables and protein, and I do need to teach myself to cook more than macaroni and cheese so I don't rely on my sister's culinary skills for the rest of my life. I get that. But for now, in grad school and coming up on some major crossroads in my life, it's okay to focus on what's manageable and revisit that goal later on.

So this week, I want to try to do some movement every day. Even if that's just taking a walk around the block or doing a 20-minute yoga video, I want to set aside some time for movement every day. And I'd like to go lift at the gym at least twice.

HeavenlyNaughtyAcornbarnacle-max-1mb.gif 

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

Double-updating!!

I ordered a book on a whim today, which I shouldn't have done, because usually that's a bit like the Heisman Trophy and ensures I'll never actually read it ........ but I want to read this one:

41GifCnWi7L.jpg 

It's by the guy who wrote the "Boundaries" book; and it covers four mindset shifts to heal relationships: Bonding with others, separating from others, sorting out good and bad in ourselves and others, and becoming an adult.

I found it through a very good blog that I read, written by a young woman who grew up in the middle of the conservative homeschooling culture that I grew up on the fringes of - she was writing about how our movement fostered a lot of childlike thinking and unhealthy amounts of depending on others to gauge our own behavior, and she mentioned this book as one that has helped her start to grow up in her relationships and the way she thinks about herself. I read part of the adulthood chapter, threw it in the cart, and bought it. It looks very practical and like it could help me out a lot.

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress: