Training at basecamp

Switching to the Adventurers for this challenge. My main goal for this year seems to be a good match ;-). I decided a few months ago that I needed a big challenge that I would enjoy if I was ever going to change my lifestyle and become more healthy. Climbing peaks in the Himalayas has been on my wish-list since 2008 and seemed like the right choice. Booked a trip in October this year and doing everything I can to get ready for it. I have also since decided to pick-up diving again and I will make at least three trips to complete a few speciality courses on top of the basic certification. Breathing and air conservation has been a challenge so I want to work on those before my next dives at the end of March.

Weight loss is not my main objective but essential of I want to get to the top. So far I have lost 8,6 kg since September last year and 3,4 since the last challenge. I'm still a bit behind on my 2 kg / month ideal but still on a path to be below 90 kg at the start of the hike.

Main goal for 2018:

mera2.jpg   island11.jpg

Goal 1: Building stamina for the hike

Running is the main way I'm building stamina at the moment. I have gone from running when I had time to a schedule of three times a week. My runs are now far enough that they start to have an impact on my knees. I have an appointment with a physiotherapist this week and implementing some of their recommendations will be a key part of this challenge. I have signed up for a 10k early April so hope I can build enough strength in my knees before then. I also want to start cycling more. I travel a lot so it is not always possible to keep it up frequently but at least when I'm home I want to be on the bike once a week.

• Keep up the running according to schedule
  • Reduce worries around my knees
  • Cross-train on the bicycle at least once a week when at home

Goal 2: Becoming a better diver

I'm doing six speciality courses this year over three weekends. It's as much for my mental health as for my physically. Having the breaks planned ahead this year helps me face pressure at work a bit easier. Besides finishing the theory for the first three courses, I want to pick-up yoga again since it allows me to practice breathing.

• Yoga once a week
  • Finish theory courses for first diving weekend

Goal 3: Eat like an adventurer

I started a few months ago with exercise and not changing diet habits since that is much harder for me. When I'm exercising, it becomes easier to watch what I eat as well. But now I feel I have a decent running routine, I do want to make sure I start eating better. These are going to be small changes so I can create habits over a few weeks before making the next step. End-goal would be a balanced vegetarian diet. I do eat meat but prefer to cut it out as much as possible.

• 3 pieces of fruit each day
  • No treats unless I ate the fruit

I will have to watch out not to commit to too much so want to evaluate at the end of the first week to see if I can actually manage all the different objectives in this challenge or if I have to make it a bit easier. Success is a better way to stay motivated so prefer to make small steps forward.

• Like 3

Level 4 Adventurer
Challenges: 7654321

On 2/12/2018 at 2:23 AM, Karma Krishok said:

Success is a better way to stay motivated so prefer to make small steps forward.

Welcome to the Adventurers!

I love this challenge! Good on you for booking a trip that you know will push you to prepare. Running, yoga, diving, and fruit! I'm following. :)

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

I thought I already followed this.

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

I'm so glad I didn't miss this post! I'm getting more and more into hiking and am very into figuring out how I want to train to go somewhere in 2019 that has a real mountain unlike my very flat midwestern state.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:23 AM, Karma Krishok said:

I will have to watch out not to commit to too much so want to evaluate at the end of the first week to see if I can actually manage all the different objectives in this challenge or if I have to make it a bit easier. Success is a better way to stay motivated so prefer to make small steps forward.

How is it going so far?

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

It's not been an easy start to the challenge. I got sick the week before the challenge started, a hectic week after and this week a jetlag. So I'm finally getting back into it. The trip in October is a good motivation to keep going instead of taking a few extra days off. Tomorrow is going to be my first run in more or less a week.

I created a new running schedule based on advice of the physiotherapist. There was a lot of useful advice in a 1 hour session: increase my steps / minute, daily stretches, build in an interval run, and a few additional strengthening exercises. Let's see how that works out this week.

No yoga but did make progress on the theory sections. Excluding the yoga for the rest of the challenge and focus on the stretches instead.

Definitely too much pressure to go from zero to three. Been eating one or two pieces almost every day. Maybe that's good enough for now. Failed a few times on the treats but considering the weeks I have had, that is ok. I did not gain a lot of weight during my trip so I take that as a win :-).

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

I lost track of my goals a bit this challenge. Work travel interrupted the schedule and I could not stay on target. It's the second time this happened since I started preparing for the hike last September. Compared to that trip in October, the last few weeks have been a lot better: I was prepared with running clothes for cold weather and did manage to run two times each week (except one week with only one run) - compared to zero runs during my trip in October. I did manage to eat slightly better but have also not been able to resist eating chocolate, biscuits and other treats. I did gain a little bit of weight because of this but nothing that has a real impact for now.

• Keep up the running according to schedule --> Medium - two runs on average instead of three
  • Reduce worries around my knees --> Working on increasing steps per minute and added speed runs. I have not been doing great on strength exercises, I just get bored.
  • Cross-train on the bicycle at least once a week when at home --> I have not been at home that much - and will not be in the coming months. Maybe I should look at yoga for a combination of strength & cross-training.

• Yoga once a week --> Was changed to stretching but did not do this regularly.
  • Finish theory courses for first diving weekend --> All completed.

• 3 pieces of fruit each day --> I have been eating more fruit but not three a day. The target was a bit too ambitious.
  • No treats unless I ate the fruit --> I have been eating way more treats then I want. No real binging but it came close a few times.

Trying to pickup the pace in the next challenge again.

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer