Mistr follows the light

Mistr

Mistr follows the light

challenge 35

follow_the_light_by_wiciaq.jpg

The last two challenges got me back on the path. I just need to keep following it. My new people start doing real work at the end of this week. There is light at the end of the tunnel for work being insanely busy.

1) A detour into the brush last challenge showed that I need to do more aikido. My first goal is to do three classes a week (counting the one I teach). More is okay but not necessarily better. There are no seminars coming up in the next four weeks to throw off this schedule.

2) Cook good food. I'm making this a goal again to give myself credit for the time I put into cooking. My family member Elf and I do almost all the cooking. I do about 60-70% and Elf does the rest. Elf likes doing the protein component for our batch cooking. That gives me primary responsibility for vegetables and desserts. 

"Desserts?!?", you may ask. Yes. My strategy for avoiding all the treats and junk food that show up at work is to have better food of my own. That means making high quality desserts. Cooking more veggies has been one of my challenge goals for years. I've come a long way. This time I'm going to document it.

3) Keep doing fun stuff. I am halfway through Yarn Quest: The Steam Age, a knitting roleplaying game. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Being able to do something creative for just 15 minutes and see progress helps me take breaks and relax. I will post photos occasionally. Other fun stuff counts too.

4) Make good use of my time. Sometimes that means going to bed early, sometimes that means getting critical work done. It does not mean goofing off. Doing regular exercise, zen household chores and dreaded tasks all fit in here.

5) Keep track of it all. I got back on track with logging last challenge. Having notes helps me recognize that I did indeed get stuff done. Keep it up.

I would like to post here more often as well. That depends on things calming down at work. Fingers crossed but no promises. 

• Like 3

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Keep doing fun stuff. I am halfway through Yarn Quest: The Steam Age, a knitting roleplaying game. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Being able to do something creative for just 15 minutes and see progress helps me take breaks and relax. I will post photos occasionally. Other fun stuff counts too.

I've been really enjoying reading about this on your thread. If you get a minute, please tell us a little about your character and feline companion. I've been curious about this from the beginning, just not curious enough to actually learn to knit.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Week 1

Day 1 - Sunday

Started strong with yoga followed by aikido open mat. The yoga was a short squat mobility session followed by the killer core routine. I've been doing this core routine for a couple weeks now. It is getting easier and I'm already seeing better definition in my abs. Very encouraging.

Zen was just me and one other person. I knew our instructor would be gone. Apparently everyone else decided that meant it would be a good day to skip. The two of us sat zazen for 30 minutes and called it good. I was glad to have extra time.

I used the time to make a run to Costco and do some cooking. I made red cabbage with kielbasa, onion, apple and craisins. Also turkey lentil soup. The soup scored bonus points for using up the turkey legs and wings left over from Thanksgiving and clearing space in the freezer. I also made cornbread and kale with bacon. Both of those are favorites of mine that my family mostly ignore. They might eat kale with bacon (because BACON), but I finished it off over the weekend. I also made chocolate chip cookie dough. Dumbledore said he wanted to make cookies. He was busy and the eggs had been sitting out on the counter all day. I like making the dough and don't care for the cookie dispensing step. He feels just the opposite, so we make a good team. Bonus is that Elf prefers the dough to the cookies. As far as Elf is concerned, I made dessert for the week. We only bake one pan of cookies right away. The rest of the dough gets frozen in balls to be baked (or eaten by Elf) later.

Day 2 - Monday

Started off well with my weight down 1+ pound from the previous week. Busy day at work. I got off stride on my meals because one of my containers of food had gone bad. I had a granola bar instead. That gave me enough to keep from getting hungry at practice but not enough to convince myself not to snack afterwards. Which I did way too much of. And I failed my saving throw and stayed up too late.

On the bright side, sensei was back at class and I'm start to feel like I can move properly again. It helped that sensei had us work on one of my good techniques and I was able to consistently drop the biggest, toughest uke in the dojo.

I'm concerned about the next couple days. Work remains busy. I read FB at lunch instead of working out. Some dear friends are coming to visit on Thursday. They will be sleeping in my office, which means I should do some cleaning tonight in addition to the cooking I had planned. And I want to do yoga and knitting. Which makes me want to run and hide and not do any of it. Oh well, I had better start in on it now to have any chance of victory.

• Like 3

Level 53  Viking paladin

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, Mistr said:

Desserts?!?", you may ask. Yes. My strategy for avoiding all the treats and junk food that show up at work is to have better food of my own. That means making high quality desserts. Cooking more veggies has been one of my challenge goals for years. I've come a long way. This time I'm going to document it.

It's funny how easy compliance with diet is when you figure out the tastes, textures, etc. that you prefer and figure out ways to make them better than other people do. As a coincidence, going with higher quality items very often can lead to healthier components and ultimately healthier desserts.

And it also sounds like you're off to a strong start! Very good, very good. Get some sleep so you can enjoy it. :)

• Like 2

Oh I've missed you...I so enjoy reading your family stories :D 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 2/12/2018 at 8:15 PM, Xena said:

I've been really enjoying reading about this on your thread. If you get a minute, please tell us a little about your character and feline companion. I've been curious about this from the beginning, just not curious enough to actually learn to knit.

Okay, since you asked. :D

Fleurianna is a Merbun Yarnmancer. Merbuns are one of several non-human races found only on Yarnia. The guidebook says this about merbuns:

A race of aquatic rabbit-like creatures. They largely lived on the sea, but now have taken to the skies as sky pirates. Their settlements can often be found embedded onto the sides of cliffs. Somehow they float, and many consider them to be the worst pest airships have seen. Do not cross a Merbun, as they have long memories and speak widely of misdeeds done to them. However, gain the trust of a Merbun and you will have a lifelong ally.

Think of an angora rabbit mermaid and you'll have the right idea.

A yarnmancer crafts things with magic. The magical arts are waning in the Steam Age, but some still follow the older traditions. She wields a thick tome titled The Principles of Yarnmancy. Good for looking up spells and hitting things. If the book was not clue enough, she wears a Yarnmancer's Robe which provides light armor and extra pockets. Her head is graced with an owl feather cap which seems to create gusts of wind on its own. Highly useful for an airborne person.

Her steadfast feline companion is Mocha, a Siamese who is actually a dragon. No one knows how cats and dragons do this - they don't answer any questions.

The story has only limited opportunity for role playing. At some points the players get to make choices that affect subsequent events. Race and class have not made a difference so far. Statistics do make a difference in the results of die rolls. All the patterns are well-designed, so it doesn't really matter if you get a +1 or a -2 on a roll. 

Yarn_Quest_2-13-18_small2.jpg

This shows the chart for chapter 4 and my scarf as of the middle of last week. I finished this chart on Saturday night. This marks the mid-point of the scarf. I'm going to knit the chart below before I start chapter 5. This is the logo for the quest and was charted by one of the knitters on Ravelry for all the Questers to use.

I bought two skeins of each color of yarn for the scarf. I'm not done with the first pair yet, so I figure I have enough to add an extra 60 rows. I like the idea of having something that other people who did the challenge will recognize.

Steam_Age_Halfway_Icon_-_Stitch_Fiddle_s

• Like 3

Level 53  Viking paladin

Update - weeks 1 & 2

I'm glad to say that things have indeed calmed down at work. We've had someone out sick every day and still have not been ungodly busy. I am starting to get caught up on some of my backlog.

Sadly, I have not caught up on sleep. This week I've gotten 7-7.5 hours a night. Only about 15 minutes of the shortage could be chalked up to bad decisions. The rest was just not having enough time. Elf gave me chocolate-covered espresso beans. I needed two of them this morning, plus a mug of green tea.

Aikido has been going well. We have three actual beginners and two returning students who have made it through week three of the course. Over the last two weeks I've been to 8 classes, including the ones I taught. I went to class Friday-Saturday-Sunday-Monday. My knees were not thrilled with that much in a row. My aikido practice is coming right along. Last night I shared guest instructing with a friend at a dojo an hour from ours. A lot of people turned out on a Thursday night and we had a great time.  I feel like I am exactly where I should be in my training right now. The hard part is not doing aikido, it is doing the outside exercise (cardio, core, mobility) to support the aikido.

The real challenge is in getting everything else done when I'm spending so much time at the dojo. This past weekend was calmer than usual because Dumbledore was out of town. I had my usual weekend task list of grocery shopping, cooking and maintenance.

Spoiler

The weekend before it should have been Dumbledore's turn to do laundry. Then he said he'd get it done on Wednesday. By Friday I was feeling grumpy about it all still sitting in the same piles waiting to be washed. I decided I would strategically wash the things I cared about and leave the rest. That ended up being 6 loads of laundry (towels; underwear; my clothes; 3 loads gis/whites). There were extra sheets because of having houseguests. I don't think Dumbledore even noticed that anything had moved. He has made guilty noises about doing laundry all week, but had not done any when I left this morning. I feel vindicated in taking care of things so I didn't have to worry about clothes. I'm still not sure if my approach to the whole laundry issue is productive or not. I'm waiting to see if clean clothes magically appear in my dresser like they have been appearing in his for the last many years.

Another aftereffect of having houseguests was having the kitchen overflowing with dirty pots & pans. Dumbledore cooked breakfast for our guests before they left Friday morning. When Elf got home from work I recruited them to help me with an assault on the kitchen. I washed while Elf dried and put away the clean dishes from the dishwasher. We talked and listened to music. More proof of why having Elf around makes my life better.

Cooking:

- orange chocolate cheesecake with ganache glaze. I suppose you can call it glaze when it is 5mm thick. It is shiny. :D I made a double batch of ganache because I had a pint of heavy cream that needed to get used up before it went bad. My regular ganache supplier from the dojo has a different job now, so I'm on my own to feed my chocolate addiction.

- roast asparagus

Elf did a bunch of cooking during the week. They made roasted cauliflower, brussel sprouts with bacon and roasted carrots. I made a batch of cheesy polenta. We had enough left over from the previous week to tide us over on protein. There is still some turkey-lentil soup left. There are also some containers in the back of the fridge which I suspect are far past their freshness dates. This weekend I'm actually going to do the fridge clean-out we've been talking about.

Fun things:

Mostly knitting. I finished chapter 4 on Saturday and started the Yarn Quest logo. Decided not to go to a party on Saturday night because that would guarantee I would stay out too late. Went to my friend's on Sunday to help her jump her husband's car. Then to the auto parts store to get a new battery for it. Not quite a social call but we had some time to catch up.

This weekend my plan is to do only one aikido class on Saturday. I'll probably go to zen on Sunday. I'm taking Friday evening off. I found a local cultural event I want to go to on Saturday afternoon and asked Dumbledore to come with. We shall see. He is complaining about being too busy, but not doing the things he says he needs to get done. I may end up going by myself, just so I can say I got out and did something. Now I am off to get pizza for supper to celebrate surviving another week.

• Like 5

Level 53  Viking paladin

Weekend report

Wins:

Lots of sleep. I was a porcupine by Friday evening. I went to bed before 11 and slept almost 10 hours. I went to bed at a reasonable time on Saturday night and got more than 8 hours. That gave me enough slack to get back to early morning aikido today without needing caffeine. I was not quite on top of things Sunday night to get to bed early enough to get 8 hours again.

Lots of cooking. Between what Elf cooked earlier in the week and what I cooked we have choices for veggies and protein. I scored bonus points for using up the pork stock that was in the fridge.

• Granola
  • Meat loaf
  • Chili
  • Roast asparagus
  • Baked potatos and sweet potatos

Lots of shopping. Somehow I always think shopping will take less time than it actually does. I made shopping runs both Saturday and Sunday. 

• cat litter
  • cat food (unfortunately from different pet supply stores)
  • furnace filter
  • groceries (two stores)
  • exercise capris
  • attempted to buy more plates - no luck

I did not make it to aikido. I got to the dojo on Sunday in time to warm up before zen and help with cleaning, but not in time to practice. I did do yoga both Saturday and Sunday. That may be an indication about where my priorities are right now.

Fun stuff - I did a fair bit of knitting. I also took time to card more wool. That puts me in good shape to do more spinning. It also helps me resist all the fleece-for-sale ads I'm seeing. I have two lovely fleeces (and lots of other spinning fiber) at home. I can resist that temptation by working with what I have on hand.

Household chores woes

Spoiler

Laundry saga - 

I did a load of gis. I figure that is my responsibility in any case. I did not wash any more laundry. I helped fold and put away one load and turned on the dryer to help Dumbledore.

Dumbledore was home sick all weekend and said that he would work on the laundry while he took things easy and played Skyrim. Some laundry did get washed. I know there are at least two clean loads waiting to be folded and put away. I'm still waiting to see how far Dumbledore gets before he leaves for a gaming event next weekend.

Elf was having a bad week. I called them on doing a couple inconsiderate things. They apologized and said they would be better. They looked much more themselves by Sunday evening. I saw evidence of Elf making an effort to get on top of the mess in their room. Hopefully they will notice how dirty the kitchen floor has gotten and do something about it (as promised over a week ago).

Dumbledore took the kitchen comfort mat to the laundry room to clean it after breaking a plate a couple weeks ago. There it sits. Yesterday he talked about cleaning it again. This one I'm sure will still be waiting to be done next weekend. That will be on my list then, both to get it out of my way in the laundry room and because having a standing mat in front of the sink makes my knees so much happier when I do dishes and cook.

I washed two loads of pots and pans, but did not do any other cleaning. I'll bet all the dust will still be waiting for me when I get to it. :P 

• Like 2

Level 53  Viking paladin

Side note on nutrition - 

I asked my nurse practitioner about my knee complaints and she recommended an anti-inflammatory diet. The part of that I've implemented so far are more supplements. I was already taking vitamin D and either C or B-complex-with-C in the mornings; and MgO in the evenings. The vitamin C is highly recommended. I'm in the cold dark north, so D is a really good idea this time of year. I added fish oil and glucosamine sulfate to  my evening routine.

I think it is too early to see any change in my knees. She said that it takes awhile for glucosamine to build up in a person's system. And my glucosamine is several years past expiration. Based on the chemistry and the storage conditions, I expect it is still fine. Maybe not quite as potent, but I stopped taking it previously because I didn't notice any results.

However, I have noticed an unexpected change. My GI tract is much happier. Go figure.

My plan for this week is to stay caught up on sleep and to mostly eat healthy. One of my coworkers brought in donuts today. Having donuts and not having supper is not the greatest choice ever, but better than eating donuts and having pizza for supper.

I'll see what else I can manage to get done. Once again I left some important things untouched over the weekend.

• Like 4

Level 53  Viking paladin

On 2/26/2018 at 9:27 PM, Teirin said:

Yeah, vitamin D is universally recommended here too.  Do you have any insight on good supplement brands?  They're terribly under regulated here.

I don't pay attention to brands at all. I buy the ones that are on sale buy-one-get-one-free at the grocery store. I can tell you what I have on hand now when I get home. I don't know if there is any real difference. Costco has giant bottles at good prices.

Level 53  Viking paladin

17 hours ago, Xena said:

The household chore woes are pretty woeful. Grrrr....

Funny thing: Monday night when I got home, Dumbledore asked me which laundry in the baskets in the laundry room were clean, and offered to help with laundry. It's his system to put the dirty laundry in baskets waiting to be washed. I'm the one who doesn't like that system because it is too easy to get the baskets confused. Having additional baskets full of Hermes' and Elf's laundry in the room makes it even harder. I've asked for signs to put on the baskets, but those have not materialized yet. :P 

I disavowed all knowledge of the current state of the laundry. I told him that it was still his turn and I would help him if he asked. He figured out which loads were done and I did help fold and put away one of them. I'm not sure if he saw the irony of offering to help with a chore he is responsible for. He teaches about gender roles at the college level, but that does not get rid of the conditioning he received growing up.

Who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised to find the laundry done when I get home tonight. Maybe even the dishes done too. Elf's room was spotless yesterday evening and they were busy doing homework. I have time scheduled with Elf on Thursday night. I hope we'll be able to discuss how the division of chores is working out. Elf is in a better position for getting on Dumbledore's case than I am. My default plan is to get as much laundry done as I can over the next couple evenings, to free up my weekend. Better to plan on the work and be pleasantly surprised than the opposite.

I was feeling grumpy last night as I was packing food for today. Not about packing food per se, but because I can't rely on my family to take care of things if I drop the ball. They frequently do stuff, but not consistently. I talked with Elf about cooking last night and they said they would do something with our languishing ingredients today. Would Elf notice the meat waiting to be cooked if I didn't say something? Probably not. I'm the only one who always brings lunches from home. Dumbledore says he wants to eat home-cooked food. In actual practice, he buys food at the cafeteria most days. And he wonders why he isn't losing weight. They will eventually notice that the house is dirty, but well after it gets to me. I think I have to decide which things I care about most at any given time and focus on those. I'm getting really good at ignoring other people's mess.

• Like 4

Level 53  Viking paladin

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Teirin said:

Yeah, vitamin D is universally recommended here too.  Do you have any insight on good supplement brands?  They're terribly under regulated here.

LabDoor.com is a good site for that kind of thing. Vitamin D, though, is pretty consistently good across brands if I remember right. I typically go with whatever's on sale.

19 hours ago, Mistr said:

I was feeling grumpy last night as I was packing food for today. Not about packing food per se, but because I can't rely on my family to take care of things if I drop the ball. They frequently do stuff, but not consistently. I talked with Elf about cooking last night and they said they would do something with our languishing ingredients today. Would Elf notice the meat waiting to be cooked if I didn't say something? Probably not. I'm the only one who always brings lunches from home. Dumbledore says he wants to eat home-cooked food. In actual practice, he buys food at the cafeteria most days. And he wonders why he isn't losing weight. They will eventually notice that the house is dirty, but well after it gets to me. I think I have to decide which things I care about most at any given time and focus on those. I'm getting really good at ignoring other people's mess.

Yeah, I get this feel. I bring my food constantly and I'm like one of two people in the office who do. And everyone seems so surprised that they walk with their broken gaits and with so much extra weight. It's frustrating to care about this and not have it acknowledged by people who are around me, but it's way worse when it's people in your home. :(

Remember - if you wrap the fist in their clothes, it's not technically punching them. ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Weekend report

My fiendish weekend plans got hit by a giant refrigerator-shaped wrench.

I decided to go home and relax on Friday evening because I worked 12+ hours on Thursday and had not had any down time all week. Relaxing was going well at first. I read more in Point of Honour and had supper. I realized we had a problem when I went to get out ice cream for dessert and found it melted. We occasionally have trouble with the freezer door not closing all the way and things getting melted. This was worse than that. Not only was the ice cream a liquid, there was an amazing fuschia puddle on top of the containers in the bottom shelf. The cranberries on the top shelf had melted and dripped. The ice tray was full of cool water. That means the freezer had been thawing for hours, probably more than a day.

Dumbledore, Hermes and I packed up all the food and moved it to the garage or the chest freezer in the basement. Thank goodness we had the chest freezer. And that Dumbledore insisted we save the two big bags of ice cubes we got for a party last summer and didn't use. Those kept the more perishable stuff cold in our picnic coolers.

I went to aikido on Saturday morning to help support kyu tests. That was fun. I'm glad I was there. One of our new beginners came to practice and watched tests. I think she is going to stay <crosses fingers>. Dumbledore said he'd do research on fridges while I was at practice. In reality, he had fun getting to talk with Hermes' new sweetie. We went out to lunch and discussed our options. I spent the afternoon checking out appliance stores while Dumbledore met with a student. We met friends for coffee, then went together to look at appliances at the big box stores.

One of the things that became clear quickly was that there was no way to get a new fridge delivered the same day without spending boatloads of money. Dumbledore had been talking about wanting a minifridge for the game room. We decided it was time to make that happen. We got the little fridge and looked at its bigger relations. Turns out that our choices are limited by the height and width of the space in our kitchen. After looking at the insane prices for top-end appliances, we got take-out and went home. We set up the little fridge in the dining room and relaxed.

Sunday I did most of the things I had intended to do Saturday. Grocery shopping won't be happening, which saves me a bunch of time. Dumbledore insisted that it was still his turn to do laundry. I did a load of gis. I had to put pressure on him to get a load of socks and underwear done so I would have exercise clothes for Monday. Late Sunday, but done. :P 

I put the milk and perishables in the little fridge and did some cooking.

• Cornbread to go with the chili I made last week.
  • Chicken thighs - I wanted to make these and they were thawed
  • Roasted potatos, sweet potatos and onions - standard side dish
  • Parsnip and ginger soup (used up one of the containers of turkey broth from Thanksgiving, which was thawed)

That gives us enough food for lunches for the next couple days. I will need to cook another green veggie. Probably brussel sprouts because those are waiting to be cooked. There are several things in the freezer that were thawed and should be used soon. Either they had already been there too long or they won't survive well. I may use the brats as sausage in a casserole.

I was on my feet a lot and Dumbledore and I went for a walk. Being outside in the sun was great. However, my knees were seriously unhappy by the end of the day. I think getting the anti-fatigue mat clean and back in the kitchen needs to move to the top of my to-do list.

• Like 3

Level 53  Viking paladin

Sounds like it worked out in the end, but dang, what a start that must have been.

Anyway, it sounds like you managed to save some time on chores and, well. Maybe this will be the opportunity for down time you were looking for. At least for a little while, until you get the refrigerator replaced.

• Like 1

I am happy to report that a new fridge will appear at our house sometime in the next week. Dumbledore and Elf are working out when someone can be home for the delivery. For now we are doing fine with the mini-fridge in the dining room and everything else on the porch. Luckily the weather is cooperating.

Dumbledore and Elf both did a bunch of cleaning around the house. I feel considerably better about the balance of house work. Dumbledore did indeed wash all the laundry. I helped with folding and putting stuff away. This weekend will be my turn again. I got some cleaning done on Sunday and plan to finish up the vacuuming tonight. That should put me in good shape for the week.

Monday I only did 30 minutes of gentle aikido. I had meetings over lunch and worked late. I sort of intended to do exercise after work, but was tired and unfocused when I got home. I had food, sat down to read for a bit and stayed up late finishing the book. Then I had to deal with the clean laundry before going to bed. Doh.

Today I'm feeling the effects of two nights in a row short on sleep. Luckily I don't have to do anything critical this evening. Some yoga, sit zen, vaccuming. Maybe cook veggies if Elf has not already gotten to them. My main goal for tonight is to get extra sleep.

• Like 4

Level 53  Viking paladin

Catching up rather belatedly.

I feel your pain re losing your ganache supplier!!!  Ok, massive envy for you having had a ganache supplier, and a GI tract that tolerates ganache (I've tried figuring out how to have ganache without cream, but so far that has been an utter fail).

Yay for a happier GI tract.  I do many many things for this - and yes it makes such a difference to so many things.

Bonus for managing a division of chores.  Well done for not caving and for training co-habitees.  Extra bonus for managing freezer failure without having to bin all of the food.  It sounds like all of the extra stress.  I've never considered cranberries as an indicator food for defrosting before......

• Like 1

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Week 4 update

How the heck did it get to be week four already?!?  So how am I doing on the things I targeted?

1) do more aikido. My first goal is to do three classes a week (counting the one I teach). 

week 1: 5

week 2: 3

week 3: 3

week 4: 1 so far. I missed class on Monday because I had to work late and we had enough snow to make the driving conditions bad. I'm planning on going to practice Saturday and Sunday to make my goal for the week. I just signed up for a big three-day seminar that will happen next challenge.

2) Cook good food.

This one has gone well. I got a pass this week because of our fridge woes. It seems like the guys have barely been eating at home. The food I've cooked has not been disappearing quickly. I still have chili and chocolate cheesecake that I made two weeks ago. More vegetables will continue to be a goal.

3) Keep doing fun stuff.

My scarf is coming along, slow but steady. I finished the central logo and started chapter 5. I still think the logo looks cool and am glad I took the time to add it.

I've also been working on my French in the car and playing Duolingo. I'm getting near the end of the Duolingo course with just five topics to go. Strangely, I've been at 67% fluent for a couple months. The tracking system says I have a 229 day streak. That is not actually true. I average 6 out of 7 days and use points to fill in the missed days. The tracking system is great motivation for me not to miss two days in a row. Earlier this week I happened to see an email in French from one of my colleagues to a customer in Canada. I could read it. :D

I hope that I am on track to be able to make a fool of myself in France this summer.

4) Make good use of my time. Sometimes that means going to bed early, sometimes that means getting critical work done. It does not mean goofing off.

So long as I count reading novels as fun and not goofing off, I'm doing okay. Not so great on the going to bed early. No dreaded tasks got accomplished. I've been good about exercising and so-so about zen. I'd give this a B.

5) Keep track of it all.

Much better than last challenge. I need to come up with a better way to track diverse exercise. A simple date/set/rep count doesn't work for a mix of yoga and bodyweight exercises. Something for next time.

• Like 2

Level 53  Viking paladin

The last couple days have been pretty good considering that I'm still struggling to get enough sleep.

Sunday night my knees were awful for no good reason. They were much better by morning and fine the rest of the week.

Monday night I stayed up late finishing a novel.

Tuesday I made it to bed on time and got 8 hours sleep. Go me!

Wednesday night I was on my way to bed when Dumbledore asked me to look at international plane tickets. He had discovered an amazing deal, then found out that the company offering it had bad reviews. After some discussion, I told him that I was not going to make a decision about spending $$$ and weeks of our time when I was tired. Then I was not able to fall asleep. No pains, no worries, just my brain refused to let go.

Thursday night I got to bed nearly on time and slept well. Getting caught up just in time to lose an hour to Daylight Savings this weekend. :P

My original plan for Thursday involved going to a friendship seminar at the same dojo I taught at last month. I arranged to get off work early, then Elf asked if they could use my car to go to a doctor's appointment. Of course. Elf has afternoon classes, so that nixed my plan of getting out of town early. I suggested that Elf and I go out for dinner since Dumbledore is off at a gaming con. That was Plan B.

Neither plan survived contact with reality. What actually happened was that Elf stayed up too late and was NOT going to get up at 6:30 to take me to work. I ran into them outside the bathroom at 6:20 and congratulated them on getting up early. Elf said they were going back to bed and would deal with the buses. I thought about throwing my gi bag in my car and reverting to Plan A, but thought better of it. Chances of me running out of steam on the mat or on the drive back were too high. I drove to work as usual and went out for supper with Elf. We had a lovely time.

Work has calmed down to the usual level of craziness. I've even started to make some inroads in my to-do list. If I stay on track things look promising.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 2

Level 53  Viking paladin