Mistr follows the light

Mistr

I love the scarf!! It looks beautiful and I liked reading about your adventure.

i am so sorry to hear about the laundry, that sounds very very frustrating.  I do not know the whole history, but if it's anything like my housemate and the trash situation...*shudder*  Despite all this, I see you are still killing it and keeping the household together, sometimes it sounds like single handedly.  That situation with the freezers sounds like The Worst, objectively.  What a thing to have to clean up after a long day.

I've never heard of glucosamine being used for OA before, this is a cool thing to research.  I was trying to find something on the pharmacology to explain the GI symptoms (nothing yet), but if you haven't looked into the GAIT trial, they evaluated people over 6 months, so it may be a few weeks before you could see results with the glucosamine addition?  (https://nccih.nih.gov/health/glucosaminechondroitin)   I dunno, there are lots of nice papers on there.  I'm glad you've got something new to try, maybe it will work for you!

Anywho, sounds like you're being an amazing boss at life and at self restraint.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

On 3/9/2018 at 4:50 PM, Mistr said:

we had enough snow to make the driving conditions bad.

This is so odd to read at this time of year...that should not be happening (I say the same thing about having to wear a jacket here lol)

Sorry to hear about the freezer woes, I've had that happen and it's no fun! 

Hope things improve on the sleep

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Bloody Daylight Savings Time is the worst! I still don't see why it's a thing. It should be abolished.

Sorry to see you lose an hour of sleep when things were just getting caught back up.

Also sorry to see that you're having to hold it together on your own. Really wish they and them and the others would get their acts together for you. :( But you are bossing it through, and I guess that's not bad either.

Anyway! Yeah, the 4 weeks did fly. Can't wait for the next ones, though. :)

On 3/11/2018 at 7:05 AM, RES said:

This is so odd to read at this time of year...that should not be happening (I say the same thing about having to wear a jacket here lol)

Actually, it is totally normal for Wisconsin to get snow storms this time of year. High school tournament season is often heralded by blizzards. Something about the warming systems bringing moisture meeting the frigid winds from the north.

We are getting temps above freezing during the day (and have been for the last week). That is normal spring weather. The scary part is that spring does not begin for another week. Substantially earlier than normal. Again.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, Treva said:

i am so sorry to hear about the laundry, that sounds very very frustrating.  I do not know the whole history, but if it's anything like my housemate and the trash situation...*shudder*  Despite all this, I see you are still killing it and keeping the household together, sometimes it sounds like single handedly. 

Things eventually worked out. Dumbledore officially handed the laundry back to me last Thursday. He had finished washing and drying everything. I folded and put away the last load. That left me with just three loads to do this weekend. Much better than the typical five loads. I used some of the extra time to clean the laundry room. I even mopped the floor - that usually only happens after some kind of flooding. I vacuumed and mopped the kitchen mat and put it back where it belongs. Progress!

On 3/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, Treva said:

I've never heard of glucosamine being used for OA before, this is a cool thing to research.  I was trying to find something on the pharmacology to explain the GI symptoms (nothing yet), but if you haven't looked into the GAIT trial, they evaluated people over 6 months, so it may be a few weeks before you could see results with the glucosamine addition?  (https://nccih.nih.gov/health/glucosaminechondroitin)   I dunno, there are lots of nice papers on there.  I'm glad you've got something new to try, maybe it will work for you!

Thank you for the link. What I'm doing now is a shotgun approach taking all the anti-inflammatory supplements. Totally non-scientific because if my joints get better, I won't know which one was responsible. On the other hand, I have a backstock of fish oil that will last for years and a full bottle of glucosamine sulfate from the last buy-one-get-one-free sale. I can keep this up for quite a while before I need to assess spending more money on it.

I'm going to keep taking vitamins C & D and magnesium. There is enough evidence that those are helpful to convince me.

32 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Also sorry to see that you're having to hold it together on your own. Really wish they and them and the others would get their acts together for you. :( But you are bossing it through, and I guess that's not bad either.

The guys came through and did a bunch of work last week. That left me feeling a lot better about the situation. Dumbledore was home today for delivery of the new fridge and cleaned the floor when they pulled out the old one. That always counts for bonus points because we know it hasn't been washed in over five years. I asked Elf to wipe down the new fridge with baking soda/water and they happily agreed to do it. We'll see if Dumbledore remembers to do the chore I asked him to do today (break down cardboard boxes and put them in the recycling bin). I can be patient when the stuff is just sitting in a corner.

I'm starting to think that they have no memory of food that they don't see in front of their noses. Only a couple things have been used from the mini-fridge. Elf has gone on the back porch to get coffee. B)  I am curious to see what will happen when we put everything back in the new fridge. I continue to argue that labeling makes a difference. The extra step to pick up a fridge container and guess (or check) what's inside seems to be too much effort. 

• Like 3

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

The extra step to pick up a fridge container and guess (or check) what's inside seems to be too much effort. 

I have this problem in my house as well and only one other person lives here :lol: 

• Haha 1

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 3/12/2018 at 8:05 PM, Xena said:

I'm super-impressed at how well you all have dealt with the whole fridge situation. What a mess!

Aside from some friction when we were sorting food and putting it in coolers, it went quite smoothly. Getting a mini-fridge was an expense, but partially offset by not having to replace the perishable food it could store. It proved that Elf will go out to the porch and dig to find food they want to eat (at least coffee)  :lol:.

Dumbledore and I have a good decision-making process for major purchases. Once it was clear that speed was of no use, we could take our time and research the options. Which were not many because of the space constraints. Then we looked at whether having a freezer-on-the-bottom style was worth an extra $500. Nope. With that settled, we compared three available models and picked the one with the best features. All three of us discussed color. Elf and Dumbledore were firm that we should get black to match the other appliances. It does match and looks like it belongs. I was afraid black would make the kitchen look darker, and I think it does. Once it is covered with notes that won't matter. Our old fridge had a non-magnetic front. The new one has a nice smooth front that holds magnets. Somewhere I have a box of magnetic poetry that I need to find.

Last night I got more proof that the guys would starve if forced to forage in the house. Dumbledore was cooking a hamburger and announced that we were out of ketchup. (He did not make any move to write it on the grocery list). I told him to look in the cupboard by his left elbow. He looked at the front rank of cans and bottles and said "I don't see any". I suggested he move one thing, then he found the full bottle. :P 

I'm glad Elf loaded the food from the coolers into the fridge. That means they have touched everything so they know what we have AND where it is. Elf put away the groceries when I got home from shopping too. They saw that I got green beans and volunteered to cook them. For all that I whine, my family is great. :love_heart:

Break week days 1-2

Monday started off well with me getting enough sleep even with time change. For some unknown reason I was hungrier than normal all day. I made it to aikido and had a good class with Sensei. Things went off the rails when I got home. Dumbledore had set up laundry to fold on our bed. Apparently he did not quite finish his laundry chores last week. At least all the clean clothes in the piles were his. He was also late because of meetings, so he was just making supper for himself when I got home at 9pm. Elf had friends over. With all the people there was no quiet place for me to sit zen. I suppose I could have taken a cushion down to the laundry room, but I was not that dedicated. I stayed up late waiting for the bed to be cleared.

Tuesday was busy. A couple people are out at work and I had a project due. I did core yoga at lunch and it felt much easier than a couple weeks ago. After work I went grocery shopping for the first time in two weeks. I mostly got produce since we hadn't cooked much. Included in the produce were ingredients to make shepherd's pie for Pi Day. Last year we had 10 sweet pies and one savory pie. I decided that I didn't care about winning a prize, I just wanted something healthy to eat for lunch. Shepherd's are not in season, so I used ground beef.

I know from experience that making shepherd's pie takes a lot of time. Thankfully I cooked the ground beef and onions on Sunday. Making the mashed potatos and filling took about 2.5 hours starting after 8pm. Once again I did not have time for zen. Part of me feels guilty and the other part points out that I was actively working or exercising ALL DAY, dammit. I got the pie assembled and stumbled to bed at 11:30pm. Then could not fall asleep. Today will be interesting.

• Like 3

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

Part of me feels guilty and the other part points out that I was actively working or exercising ALL DAY, dammit.

Yup, can't fault yourself for that.

In some alternate universe, if I lived with you guys, I would do all the laundry. I honestly really like doing it.

Edit: As long as it doesn't require going to a laundromat (I've served my time on that one)

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

the other part points out that I was actively working or exercising ALL DAY,

Listen to this part...

• Like 3

Spoiler

Savory pies are friggin' underrated. Which just goes to show that pie is the ultimate. Ever try savory cake? ("but Kishi that's just a burger" "shut up strawman-san")

Anyway, yeah. I feel you on not getting enough meditation, but I want you to feel me on not feeling any guilt. :D Although, I'm gearing up this week to get my night-time schedule really refined so that I can hopefully do more meditation and get better sleep.