Murphy's Roommate Drives On

Murphy's Roommate

Well now.

Down by about 10 lbs in 2 weeks.  Yes, I have it to safely loose and I'm eating like I mean it.  This metabolic reset thing is remarkable - no hunger, lots of greens, meats, and carbs.  Very strict list of foods, some ridiculous green smoothies in the morning, it felt like I was throwing the rainforest in a blender, but hey it works!  Goal is to make it through week three on the reset without deviating.  After that, I'm going to go stupid for a day, then return to plan. 

Continuing on Tai Chi - 2 to 3 days a week.  Time to start training again on the off days.  That seems like a good idea - 3 days a week.

Moving.  Holy crap.  7 years of junk accumulation.  I've gone through a purge before, this next one has to be epic.  30 minutes a night, cleaning/packing.  An hour min every weekend day.  I still expect a mad rush for 1 week in March to get this done, but if I put in the time I'll make a lot of progress.

Well, time to kick the tires and light the fires!

- Murphy's Roommate!

• Like 1
On 2/12/2018 at 9:03 PM, Murphy's Roommate said:

Down by about 10 lbs in 2 weeks. 

Crazy how fast it melts off in the first couple of weeks! I've already lost almost 6 lbs in 2 days.  I'm on a keto meal plan, 20 net carbs a day

Moving, bleh. Done it too many times in my life and I don't think I'm done. 

That is indeed what we have to do! I've been doing the low carb thing off and on for a couple of years now and that seems to happen, rapid weight loss and then it levels out a bit.

I love the thought of Tai Chi. I've never really practiced it before, but hope to put it on one of the next challenges. 

Good luck to you and stay strong! I am half telling myself that too. Had a little down day myself.

Good news is I was down 14 lbs on Monday.  Then I had my off day and went fairly silly.  Re-setting today and back on the wagon tomorrow.  Had some success clearing out the garage, organized and cleared some clutter piles.  Have a LOT more work to do.  Tai Chi has been languishing, but I plan to get that back on track. 

Danae - I think that with Tai Chi, having a teacher that suits you is more important than normal.  I look at Tai Chi as a combative, and working my way to push hands to focus on sensing the other person and getting the timing right is much more important to me than the relaxation benefits.  Finding teachers that focus on that, seeing the timing of the strikes, the real world application of the rather abstract forms, has been an effort.  Your mileage will vary with what you are looking for in Tai Chi.  Even I have to admit it can be really relaxing!

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

The struggle continues.  All is well, except for dry skin.  Which is only an issue because it hurts to type, and a magic trick I recently got requires a bit of finger tip work.  Sigh.  It will be worth it.

I continue with the logistics struggle of moving, progress is being made but I know if I don't keep on it, I am setting myself up for a mad dash at the end, which I don't want.

Beyond that, weather has been Awesome, my dog loves the real cold, and life is good!

- Murphy's Roommate

Life goes on.  Fast run up to Denver, picked up a few things I will want in Korea.  Switching HAM radios and antennas, I will have to work digital or morse code modes to have any real chance of making contacts.  Operating out of a dorm room means I have to keep my power output very low for safety, which means I have to use very efficient modes to get the signal out.  Hung out with a buddy, helped him put together a discone antenna.  He was shocked as to how effective it was.  It plays some interesting games with electromagnetism, making separate antenna wires appear as one solid plane to radio waves.  It took very smart people to design that antenna so us knuckle draggers could just screw it all together!  We even managed to not poke ourselves in the eye!   Picture below isn't his specific one, but very similar.  It is about 1 meter wide by a meter and a half tall, fully assembled. 

ant-discone-se1300-ukw-berichte-400x424.

Now I've got to work some wiring on my radio to make it compatible with my power system (just crimping wires, nothing sexy) and I'll be on the air!

s-l300.jpg

We'll see if I let the magic black smoke out of the radio... 

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

Yay me - magic smoke stayed in the radio!

Packed 18 boxes today.  Small boxes, just books, but that was progress.  It is pretty easy stripping book shelves.  I have a looooong way to go.  On the bright side I found about 8 books I want to read before I move, or take with me.

Tai Chi has been deficient.

Went food shopping and am loaded up for the next week.  This will be good.

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

Tai Chi would have been great tonight.  Instead, I got to go into work after work as there are different email systems I have to use, that aren't compatible, to "help" other people do their jobs.  So I can leave on time.  Little bit annoyed.  After working with them a few times where they have comprehensively demonstrated they cannot perform basic tasks such as finding their rear end with both hands - even given a search light, GPS, map, compass, a helpful Boy Scout troop, and a one hand head start, I've now very politely requested that their boss's boss help them.  If that doesn't work, one of my boss's will be reaching a level higher, and as we all know fecal matter both flows downhill, and picks up speed the further it has to move.   All I want is for everyone to work well together, and then we all look good.  Sigh.  And if wishes were ponies I'd own a dog food and glue factory.  Sigh.

Boxed up some of my old HAM radio stuff.  All still current and quality gear, hopefully when I leave it with my parents they will get into HAM radio out of curiosity.  There is a digital mobile radio (DMR) capability that should let me tunnel through the internet and contact them through a nearby HAM radio repeater.  Or possibly low power digital modes where we can talk over HF.  But we'll see.

At least class is fun!

- Murphy's Roommate

Dear Nerds...

This was not my most successful challenge, but it was unique and enjoyable.   While I failed hard at many stated goals, I did drive 2000+ miles cross country, brought my fluffy death machine to a new home, met with friends on the way, and generally lived this life.  I exercised some authority, enjoyed some humility, let people who have only ever known German Shepherds in a negative context meet one as a fluffy pet, and generally got out there.  Most importantly, I had time to let myself be at peace with what is next.

I look forward to joining you in the next challenge. 

Throttles to the firewalls, chins up, forward unto dawn my fellow nerds.

hqdefault.jpg

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1