Hey, I'm Maegan.. I'm from Canada, but I'm in Australia for university. I'm 20 years old, 5'3", and I have no idea what I weigh, since I moved to Australia in July and since then I haven't been in a house with a scale. I currently run, do some squats and other exercises that a physiotherapist told me to do for my knees (muscle imbalance leading to bursitis because my kneecaps don't move right), stretch, sit-ups, and do some upper body free weights. I also ride horses and LARP (yes, a girl LARPer!), but both of those are probably on hold until I get home next July or so. I'm also planning to join a rugby team either here in March or when I get back to Canada, since I played in high school and miss it.

My goals are basically to slim down and get in better shape, since I have a family history of fun things like heart disease and diabetes. I also want to get stronger, especially in my upper body, since my legs are pretty good from running and horseback riding, and occasional hikes when I get out of the city. I definitely need to strengthen my back too. I want to learn how to use free weights more effectively too.

In terms of eating, I've found that besides generally eating healthy and non-processed food, following the 'French Diet' (Michel Montignac) loosely works for me. It's basically eat lots of fruit and veg, eat fruit no less than 1/2 hour before or 2 hours after a meal, don't eat protein and carbs together. My addition is not eating tonnes of diary, since it seems to help my skin.

Hey Maegs! We have a few Canadians on the board. Where're you from? I'll be sure to tell you when the first snow stays on the ground so you can feel all smug and superior. : P

Sounds like you have a great active lifestyle so far. Pushups and pullups/chinups are great for upper body, as are planks. Theres are some great body-weight routines out there, including on this very site!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Wooo, almost all corners of the country covered now. I'm on the east coast, New Brunswick. Alethea is a Westerner (I think right? Alberta? I know you did mention to me at some point). And now Ontario.

I actually don't mind the snow, it's the cold that kills me. We have to get to the dog park every day because Dwight (14month golden retriever) is really active and needs the exercise. I'm dreading the winter. The park is right on the river shoreline, so there's a wicked breeze

Welcome to the board Maegs!! Canada Represent!

I don't know why everyone heaps the hate on our Cdn Winters! But then, I'm a winter lover.. born in January, some of my best childhood memories revolve around snowmen, snow forts and getting big air with the crazy carpets and flying saucers! I can already hear my snowboard calling my name! Can't wait for the hills to open.

And don't talk to me about the cold.. I'm more than familiar with it.. ;) Edmonton consistently gets some of the coldest, harshest "city" winters in Canada and I've also worked on the rigs way up north through a couple winters - where no word of a lie water freezes as soon as it hits the ground. -50*c before wind chill and I was on the nights crew. NONE of our machinery worked properly in that cold. Made for some really slow drilling..

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Me | My Youtube | Facebook | RunKeeper

Welcome to the board Maegs!! Canada Represent!

I don't know why everyone heaps the hate on our Cdn Winters! But then, I'm a winter lover.. born in January, some of my best childhood memories revolve around snowmen, snow forts and getting big air with the crazy carpets and flying saucers! I can already hear my snowboard calling my name! Can't wait for the hills to open.

And don't talk to me about the cold.. I'm more than familiar with it.. ;) Edmonton consistently gets some of the coldest, harshest "city" winters in Canada and I've also worked on the rigs way up north through a couple winters - where no word of a lie water freezes as soon as it hits the ground. -50*c before wind chill and I was on the nights crew. NONE of our machinery worked properly in that cold. Made for some really slow drilling..

I definitely read that as snow farts for some reason. It cracked me up :)