• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Drake Alexander

Yogurt dressing anyone?

Hello There!

I have been experimenting with plain yogurt to make dressing for salads (coleslaw, spinach, etc.). At the moment, is going meh. I don't mind the strong yogurty taste (yum?) but, I was hoping for something a little more tasteful. I love mayonnaise and I consume it in low portions but sometimes I want to cut some of those calories while eating coleslaw or some tuna salad. Is there a good way to make it close to mayo? Or better than mayo? If it isn't a way, I will stick to it. I will make plain yogurt my servant.

Thanks!

Yogurt = fermented milk
Mayo = whipped oil & egg

You're never going to get the same taste - BUT you can get the same "feel". If you don't mind tang, use greek yogurt to get something a bit thicker, or strain it. You can also mix in an acid (apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, etc) to make it closer to some of the more traditional prepared mayo's (Hellman's & Dukes add vinegar). It doesn't take much! Then add some powdered onion\garlic if you want something more like ranch, or dill & shredded cucumber if you like tzaziki sauce (I LOVE tzaziki sauce).

And of course, there's Google. Here's a giant list of yogurt based dressings....

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/15160/side-dish/sauces-and-condiments/salad-dressings/yogurt-dressing/

• Thanks 1

25% mayo 75% yoghurt mixed will lower calories and give some good taste.

classic with lemonjuice, salt, pepper and a bit of cayenne.

red dressing, with ketchup, tomato paste, and paprika.

herb with a lot of fresh/dried herbs and salt/pepper

with garlic like some kind of tzatiki :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use plain greek yogurt as a base for pretty much everything. I'll thin it down with a little with vinegar if I'm making a creamy salad dressing, apple cider with ranch seasonings. Sometimes I make a wing dip with sriracha and honey mixed in, it's awesome ^_^ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1