Severine's Multilingual Health and Fitness Adventure

Severine

@fleaball texted me and said I have to make a thread so here I am. Good thing she uses her power wisely and didn't tell me to go rob a bank or anything.

Anyway. So, basically this is my life right now:

tumblr_n15s7soYPD1t6nbmyo1_250.gif  activities-for-teaching-vocabulary.gif   my-experience-learning-spanish-language-873e3f406f95897dc07fb4a7aab4d6e5.jpg  giphy.gif?w=641&h=438 images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKhJlvdsYIZh803JrzaChsmEqeUW_92KbmgS22g9tSxlp3e52u

I am watching curling, teaching ESL, learning Spanish, being lazy, and growing a whole mess of flowers in preparation for spring.

One of these things is a problem, and it's not curling.

I've done a lot of NF challenges and at this point I have a very good idea of what life looks like when I'm making good decisions and taking good care of myself. I know what to do and I have the resources and support I need to do it. The challenge for me is continuing to stay committed to my health and fitness goals when life is busy and stressful, or when I feel like I'm not making much progress.

So the actual goals here are boring, and stuff I've done lots of times before: (1) Exercise every day (2) Track my food so I eat like a reasonable human being (3) Go to bed by midnight and (4) Meditate every day. Nothing creative or new...just boring stuff that works wonders when I actually do it.

In order to make it a bit more fun, this is my idea: I'm going to incorporate the Spanish learning aspect of my life into the challenge. Hopefully some of you people know some Spanish and have some interest in reading some, because the idea is I'll post updates and other random thoughts in Spanish in addition to the standard English posts. I may randomly do a few in other languages too, if I am feeling ambitious.

Sooooo here we go! I'm too tired to write much more of substance tonight so I'll just stick to this:

Anoche el equipo canadiense ganó la medalla de oro en curling y estoy muy feliz!

• Like 7

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

SEVERINE!!! Good to see you! I am following along in the hopes of more fantastic Spanish translations like "flying under the communist flag"... that phrase is a gift that keeps on giving, seriously. 

1 hour ago, Severine said:

One of these things is a problem, and it's not curling.

Curling is never the problem. 

So the actual goals here are boring, and stuff I've done lots of times before: (1) Exercise every day (2) Track my food so I eat like a reasonable human being (3) Go to bed by midnight and (4) Meditate every day. Nothing creative or new...just boring stuff that works wonders when I actually do it.

This is the most beautifully concise list of 4WC goals I have ever seen. And I follow Hazard. 

n order to make it a bit more fun, this is my idea: I'm going to incorporate the Spanish learning aspect of my life into the challenge. Hopefully some of you people know some Spanish and have some interest in reading some, because the idea is I'll post updates and other random thoughts in Spanish in addition to the standard English posts. 

YUS! I can mostly read Spanish. I can hardly speak it and don't ask me to write anything back, but I am so there on reading comprehension. And if I can't quite get it I will run what you write through Google Translate and hopefully have a hilarious nonsense translation to brighten your day! :D 

• Like 2

When you're having a shitty day and you're feeling down about yourself and your choices and you're like, "I'll do some exercises from my Spanish book to cheer myself up" and on the first page one of the examples seems to rub it in:

"Nosotros somos responsables por nuestras decisiones."

Thanks, textbook, for demonstrating the different usages of "por" and "para" with judgy aphorisms.

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
4 hours ago, Severine said:

When you're having a shitty day and you're feeling down about yourself and your choices and you're like, "I'll do some exercises from my Spanish book to cheer myself up" and on the first page one of the examples seems to rub it in:

"Nosotros somos responsables por nuestras decisiones."

Thanks, textbook, for demonstrating the different usages of "por" and "para" with judgy aphorisms.

My Ancient Greek teacher would do this! I distinctly recall a translation test answer being "The students will fail because they did not study!" followed by ominous fragments about people being put to death.

Hope other things are going OK and your day stops being shitty:)

• Like 4
On 19/2/2018 at 5:21 PM, Lateral Planet said:

My Ancient Greek teacher would do this! I distinctly recall a translation test answer being "The students will fail because they did not study!" followed by ominous fragments about people being put to death.

Hahaha one of my Latin professors used to love doing this! Must be a part of the standard training for ancient language teachers.

On 19/2/2018 at 9:06 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

I was actually going to poke you too Severine. How is L doing with everything he has going on? I was thinking of him the other day.

Thanks for asking! Logan is doing decently well, but has been super busy with work for the masters program and hasn't really gotten into the NF updating habit. Hopefully will change once the weather gets a bit better...somehow spring makes everything seem easier, doesn't it?

• Like 2

@fleaball look I'm doing it!

Esta mañana tuve una cita con el doctor. Fue mi examen físico anual. Estaba muy nervioso, porque este es un nuevo médico que nunca había conocido antes. No me gusta ir al médico, en general. He tenido algunas malas experiencias con los médicos en el pasado. Así que este fue un evento estresante para mí. ¿El resultado? Ella era amable y bien intencionada, pero también pensé que no se tomaba en serio mis preocupaciones. Debido a que tengo problemas de ansiedad, los médicos a menudo asumen que todos mis síntomas físicos son exagerados o causados por mi ansiedad. Ella era la misma. Trató de convencerme para que comenzara a tomar medicamentos contra la ansiedad (lo que no quiero hacer) y desestimó algunas de mis otras preguntas al decir que debería centrarme en reducir mi estrés.

Una cosa buena es que ella recomendó a una nutricionista que se especializa en ayudar a personas con problemas emocionales sobre la comida. Estaba escéptico, pero cuando miré en el sitio web de este nutricionista, quedé impresionado. Espero que acepte nuevos pacientes.

-----------

Phew okay, that took me waaaay too long to write. The translation under a spoiler for those who don't speak Spanish or don't want to bother.

Spoiler

This morning I had a doctor's appointment and it was my annual physical. I was really nervous, because it's a brand new doctor who I've never met before (side note not in Spanish version: my old doctor, who I loved, moved away - womp womp). I don't like going to the doctor, in general. I've had some bad experiences with doctors in the past. As a result, this was a stressful thing for me. The result? She was nice and well-intentioned, but I thought that she didn't take my concerns seriously. Because I have anxiety problems, doctors often assume that all my physical symptoms are exaggerated or caused by my anxiety. She was the same. She tried to convince me to start taking anxiety medications, which I don't want to do, and dismissed some of my other questions by just saying I should focus my efforts on reducing my stress. 

One good thing was that she recommended a nutritionist who specializes in helping people with emotional eating problems. I was skeptical, but when I looked at the woman's website,  I was impressed. I hope she's accepting new patients.

I'm still thinking about whether or not I want to bother trying to find some other primary care doctor I like more. I'm not too optimistic about the chances of finding someone who doesn't treat anxiety as an instant reason to assume I'm exaggerating symptoms or just causing all my own symptoms through stress, because that's been my general experience of all doctors, so it seems on the one hand that staying with the doctor who at least means well might be better than risking a change? Better the devil you know, and all that. On the other hand it'd be really great to have a doctor I really trusted. Last time I could say that was 2007.

I was uncomfortable with how pushy this woman was about anxiety medication. Like she asked me if I had ever taken it and I said no. She asked me if I wanted to, and I explained that I had a therapist and was finding that helpful and wanted to see how far that could take me before risking the side effects of medications. She was very dismissive, and said that "for most people talk therapy by itself isn't effective. You need that plus medication." Then she mentioned one drug in particular that she thought I should be on, and said that it didn't really have side effects. Bear in mind, at this point she had known me for all of six minutes, knew nothing about my specific symptoms or medical history. When I told my therapist that (our appointment was shortly after the physical) she was not impressed and said that the drug in question definitely did have possible side effects, and also that even psychiatrists, who specialize in the area, generally need to know a fair bit about a person's particular case and medical history before recommending the best drug choice. So, needless to say, not super impressed with this PCP. But also worried that other people I try will be the same or worse. 

The one good thing that came out of the appointment was the recommendation for the nutritionist. I mean, it sucks that the recommendation for the nutritionist came during the "if you lose weight all your health concerns will magically evaporate, so there's no point in doing any actual treatment when really you should be fixing this yourself" portion of the appointment,* but the woman does look like she could possibly help me? This is her website. A lot of it reminds me of what @Tanktimus the Encourager was talking about in his recent threads, actually. 

For my goals, I am doing halfway decently well. This week has been a bit of a rollercoaster but I've done better than I thought I would. I even did an extra meditation in the car this morning in the parking lot at the doctor's office, and I think it definitely helped calm me down a little.

*For the record, I agree that losing weight will help with some things! But it's really frustrating when you go in with, like, debilitating migraines and insomnia and they're like "lose weight and then we'll talk." Also it's hilarious how much it seems to annoy them that my blood pressure is perfect despite my weight. "You won't be able to get away with this forever!" I was warned this morning. Thanks for the compassion? 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Severine said:

Thanks for asking! Logan is doing decently well, but has been super busy with work for the masters program and hasn't really gotten into the NF updating habit. Hopefully will change once the weather gets a bit better...somehow spring makes everything seem easier, doesn't it?

I am glad to hear he is doing well. I am not surprised he is busy, and I didn't expect him to pop in but I was curious. I think the fact it stays light later makes thing easier. You don't feel like its so late at 10 when It got dark at 8 as opposed to 5.

• Like 2

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Okay, doctor appt.

First off, I get the not sure if you want to stay with this one or not. Honestly, if the appt made you feel that uncomfortable, maybe look around a bit. It wouldn't hurt to try and find someone who is less ready to push pills. That being said, I hate pills too, and if I was told that my other efforts were pointless without the pills, I would of been put off as well. And not everything is caused by weight and sometimes treating the symptoms of things like migraines and insomnia can HELP you with the weight part since your less tired. As far as the Anxiety meds, I would of said something about "I see a therapist and I think this is something I would be more comfortable discussing with her first since we have a trust relationship on this matter already."

That being said, she reminds me of the appt I had last year with the nurse practitioner that reminded me of a Barbie doll. She was all about pushing weight loss surgery at me and was so sure I was diabetic but my numbers were perfect. I really didn't like her, so I get it.

I will say I saw a nutritionist before and it was super helpful. Just make sure your insurance covers it> I could only do it for a short time since mine doesn't (UNLESS your diabetic, then they do), so we had to pay for every appt out of pocket. she was super helpful, and I wish I could of kept going but the funds weren't there. Hopefully will go well for you. Good luck

• Like 3

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

8 hours ago, Severine said:

if you lose weight all your health concerns will magically evaporate

Gahhhhhhhhh pet peeve!

• Like 3

That doctor does not sound worthy of a second visit. I checked out the website, the Nutrition counselor's website explicitly mentioned Intuitive eating, which is probably why it seems so familiar to my thread.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

@Severine! I missed your thread! >_< ¿Como estas? (That's about all I know for Spanish.)

Regarding the doctor, I wouldn't go back. And if a doctor tries prescribing me anxiety meds or anti-depressants, or any other medication for mental health, I'd tell them that I'm not taking anything unless a psychiatrist is prescribing it. Not to mention that if you're already in therapy, that sort of thing does need to be discussed with the therapist first.

Did you see the nutritionist yet?

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!