Never worked out before - Bodyweight, Flexibility, Dumbbells

Hello everyone!  This is my very first post on the NF forums, and I'm hoping to find some help.  I'm a 21 year old female, 152 lbs, and since I was in late elementary school (so about 13 or so years), I've hated my body and have never been comfortable in my own skin.  I was diagnosed with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) and have been told that that is the reason why I've always had issues losing weight and getting healthy.  I've been thinking about it lately, and I realized I never actually tried to exercise properly, and I'm just using my syndrome as an excuse as to why I haven't been able to put of weight.  When I was in community college, I walked for thirty minutes to an hour every day and was totally fine.  When I started my desk job, I put on so much weight from unhealthy meals and canned teas that I very regrettably later on found was filled with grams and grams of sugars. I probably had about five a day when I worked.  Fast forward five years, I've dropped the sugar filled drinks all together but I still eat very unhealthily.  So lately, I've been looking into eating better and working out, and this time I'm determined to start and work hard at it; I want to be comfortable in my skin and happy with my body for once.  So I turned to Pinterest, Instagram, Google to look up different workouts and see what other people were doing, and probably saw too much; I feel like I've seen so many different workouts I don't know where to start.

Yesterday, I did my first workout since high school PE classes xD  I decided to try and work on glutes and legs, so I did ten minutes on my stationary bike for a simple warmup (I was actually decently impressed with myself, I thought I'd be dying and out of breath by the end of easy peddling, but I didn't breathe hard or sweat at all); I did 10 reps of goblet squats with a 10lb dumbbell, 10 stationary lunges per leg with a 7.5lb dumbbell, 10 straight leg RDLs with a 7.5, 10 jumping squats, 10 hip thrusts with a 7.5, and 10 side lunges.  I was supposed to do 3 sets of each exercise, but I could only manage 1 set.  My legs are dying today.  They only really hurt when I walk up and down stairs and hurt a little if I move how they're positioned while I'm relaxing, but hopefully I'll get to the point where they won't hurt so much after a workout.  

I want to work more with dumbbells over time, do the beginner body weight workout tomorrow, and I was going to try some yoga this week as well, but do not know where to start.  I want to work out three to four times a week, with a rest day in between each workout, but I still feel like because I saw so many different types of workouts, I don't know where to start.  I only started a workout yesterday because I was aggravated with myself for looking into working out for days without actually starting; I knew if I kept looking into it, I'd eventually lose interest and not actually start.  I have an outline of what I want to do: Glutes and legs one day, yoga one day, and beginner body weight the third day, with flexibility stretching and walking on my rest days.  Now that I have an outline, I need to figure out what exercises I should put into them xD   Does anyone have any recommendations for glutes and legs, yoga, and flexibility stretching exercises?  

• Like 1

First and foremost, welcome to the Rebellion! You'll get a ton of advice here so you definitely came to the right place. I agree with Sloth, jumping in is very much the first step. And the secret to all this is that it doesn't matter all the much what you do, as long as you do it, and you do it consistently. I am a big fan of Darebee, it's a fantastic resource with so many different workouts and fitness challenges, as well as nutrition advice, so be sure to check that out too. You can choose which part of the body you want to work on and find great resources on how to do it, but don't get overwhelmed by everything, just pick something and try it out. The best kind of workout plan is one you enjoy so keep flirting with different things until you find something that works for you. 

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

[mention=18986]deftona[/mention] , you’re the goddess of glutes, any advice?

I can't tell you how happy you just made me. 

• Like 2

The Sarcastic Computator

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

There’s something to be said for just jumping in.

[mention=18986]deftona[/mention] , you’re the goddess of glutes, any advice?

Thanks! 

23 minutes ago, deftona said:

First and foremost, welcome to the Rebellion! You'll get a ton of advice here so you definitely came to the right place. I agree with Sloth, jumping in is very much the first step. And the secret to all this is that it doesn't matter all the much what you do, as long as you do it, and you do it consistently. I am a big fan of Darebee, it's a fantastic resource with so many different workouts and fitness challenges, as well as nutrition advice, so be sure to check that out too. You can choose which part of the body you want to work on and find great resources on how to do it, but don't get overwhelmed by everything, just pick something and try it out. The best kind of workout plan is one you enjoy so keep flirting with different things until you find something that works for you. 

Thanks for the advice!

You said it yourself honey:

19 hours ago, alykailyn96 said:

When I was in community college, I walked for thirty minutes to an hour every day and was totally fine. 

Walk. Always walk. It's easy, relaxing, and helps you lose weight if you weigh too much.  I'm glad you see the importance and you're doing it daily.  Keep doing it. :)

Resist information overload (sometimes known as "collecting underpants" hereabouts).  Pick three or four workouts you like, OR a single multiweek program, and stick with the three workouts or the one program for a month.  If you don't like it, change it, but give it a month first.  Don't waste your energy trying every dang thing you see, make a plan and stick to it.  And once you're done with the day's workout, log it and then get off the social media.  You've figured out the problem with physical junk food but there's such a thing as psychic junk food, too.

For yoga, if you're new to it, try googling "sun salutations".  That's a series of about a dozen poses you can do in 20 or 30 minutes, it's a good starter set.

Legs will be included in walking and bodyweight routines, so I'm not sure you need a separate day just to work your lower body, unless you really want to.  Squats, deadlifts, stair climbing, walking, bicycling (esp hills or trails) are all good.  Darebee and Start Bodyweight have some fine routines, and Darebee also has some cool story/RPG programs like the Hero's Journey, if you want an all-in-one workout program.

Sorry about the PCOS.  Do: take responsibility, get medical attention and treat it seriously, it is a chronic condition and merits ongoing care.  Don't: ignore it, let it control you, assume it's all your fault.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.