Keep it Simple, Carpinus

Carpinus

Carpinus took a look at her life. Perhaps the assassin life was no longer for her. So she stood at the foot of the mountain and gazed up at the monastery. This might be the way forward.

Towards the end of this challenge she must go on a cruise with her in-laws, but until then...

• Water - 2 litres a day. Black tea with millk is not water, Carpinus.
  • Yoga - Found a great beginners' class in London, so that once a week (apart from cruise week), and practice in between.
  • Meditation - time out, every day, to sit. Can be two minutes.
  • Walking - a source of joy and marginal gains. Not specifying a goal, but getting mindful of taking opportunities to walk.
  • Showing up - @sarakingdom was spot on, when she suggested showing up can be a challenge. I've definitely found it so, so I'll make it an actual one. Even if it's only adding bits on here once a week, and dropping in on other people's threads. It's weirdly scary, that - I don't know why - but I've done best on here when I've felt part of it. So I'll be part of it.
  • Like 5

Level 0 Human Adventurer

STR - 1; DEX - 1; STA - 0; CON - 0; WIS - 1; CHA - 1

Hooray! Good to see you with us for this one.

This is an excellent challenge, with a lot of useful, practical, and modest goals. It's a bunch of things to be working on, but it seems like you're started on a lot of them already, so they're already a work in progress. If you need to creep up on them slowly, don't feel bad about that. 

And if you need to triage them, I'd suggest prioritizing just showing up. It's useful to know how to drop things in response to life, and the last thing to drop should be the habit of showing up and getting ready to do something.

Beyond that, welcome, and feel free to look around our lounge and kitchen and meditation hall (and, um, sleeping area currently filled with Black Ribboners, which is a long story). Our Pratchett books are in the library, and give a shout if there's anything you need. We have folks who've done all kinds of training, and will be happy to help with any challenges you've got on your plate.

• Thanks 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Here I am! Showing up! A good weekend of walking, some quiet time on the train this morning before more walking, some nice, mindful yoga stretches yesterday. It's feeling good and doable. 

Thank you so much for the immediate welcome and support!

• Like 3

Level 0 Human Adventurer

tumblr_inline_mws2bai5Yr1qj5w1e.gif

I mean, who can't be lured back with baby Susan Sto Helit and her My Little Binky doll?

How's it going on yoga, water, and showing up? :)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

unseen-university-library-print.jpg

(One day I will do a librarian-themed climbing challenge.)

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 5:09 PM, Kishi said:

So, what are you taking yoga for? Is it for general practice, or is there something specific you're trying to work out?

Pretty much general practice. But I'm awfully stiff, always have been. Am trying to change my mindset that I can't change that. I'm normally pretty good with a growth mindset, but when it comes to my flexibility, I'm horribly fixed mindset! But a good friend of mine is a yoga teacher, and has my back. It's feeling pretty good so far. Powering through the doubt!

• Like 1

Level 0 Human Adventurer

21 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

unseen-university-library-print.jpg

(One day I will do a librarian-themed climbing challenge.)

I'd be up for that! Sounds awesome!

I've slowed down on the Pratchetts, annoyingly. I'm at a point where it'd be really handy to read Wyrd Sisters, but I've written a play about the Macbeth witches and want to avoid accusations of plagiarism by not reading it. Is that weird?

Level 0 Human Adventurer

Even a simple challenge is feeling hard. Why is that? One thing at a time...

• Water - 2 litres a day. Black tea with millk is not water, Carpinus.

This is going okay so far, but yesterday I didn't hit my target, and my head is feeling it today.

• Yoga - Found a great beginners' class in London, so that once a week (apart from cruise week), and practice in between.

Going to class every week, which is feeling good as a practice and some self-care. Gentle stretching most days.

• Meditation - time out, every day, to sit. Can be two minutes.

Why is this so hard this week? I have no idea. Often I can happily sit for half an hour, but in the last week the very idea of stopping has felt scary. Pushing on. I've realised that most of my recent practice has been on public transport - pluggin in to Insight Timer and I can go. But getting the cushion out at home and just sitting, not so much.

• Walking - a source of joy and marginal gains. Not specifying a goal, but getting mindful of taking opportunities to walk.

Easy during the week. Harder at the weekend. But getting some good walking in, which makes me happy.

• Showing up - @sarakingdom was spot on, when she suggested showing up can be a challenge. I've definitely found it so, so I'll make it an actual one. Even if it's only adding bits on here once a week, and dropping in on other people's threads. It's weirdly scary, that - I don't know why - but I've done best on here when I've felt part of it. So I'll be part of it.

Here I am! x

• Like 3

Level 0 Human Adventurer

1 hour ago, Carpinus said:

I'd be up for that! Sounds awesome!

I think there could be an awesome Librarian-themed challenge out there. More so if I liked bananas. I'll have to stick to the peanuts.

I've slowed down on the Pratchetts, annoyingly. I'm at a point where it'd be really handy to read Wyrd Sisters, but I've written a play about the Macbeth witches and want to avoid accusations of plagiarism by not reading it. Is that weird?

Oh, I hope I haven't spoiled you for anything! I remembered you-and-Pratchett, and didn't remember that you were new to the series.

Nah, I think being worried about the perception of bring influenced by heavy hitters (culturally and popularity-wise) is normal. But if the play is done, I think you're fine. At this point, you can reassure yourself that it's not much like yours, or make an editing pass if you find an uncanny similarity. (And if you were riffing on Macbeth, you're probably fine. Macbeth is a small part of Wyrd Sisters. He mashed up a lot more than that. It's quite clever if you're a Shakespeare fan.)

But it's also skippable, if it's hanging you up.

• Like 1

It sounds like your habits are well-designed for your weekday routine, and stumble without that structure on weekends. Which is not a bad state of affairs, objectively speaking, and much better than the reverse.

It gives you a place to start, if you want to make those changes on weekends. You could count the tea (increasing your goal so that your total fluid intake matches your weekday total fluid intake). Or fill a water bottle Friday night and add it to some Saturday morning activity. Little steps and experiments.

Even a simple challenge is feeling hard. Why is that? One thing at a time...

Making lots of changes at once is difficult. It's not a bad idea to literally take one at a time. I've been doing that for a few challenges, and it's still hard, but often more successful.

• Thanks 1

Getting to the cushion is hard sometimes! I can definitely relate to when the cushion itself gets intimidating. I have a whole place set up at home for Official Meditation, and then I end up sitting on the couch or at work anyway. Definitely used to meditate on the bus back when I had a commute. It all counts, I figure.

• Thanks 1
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, Carpinus said:

Even a simple challenge is feeling hard. Why is that?

Because a simple challenge isn't the same as an easy challenge.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, Carpinus said:

Why is this so hard this week? I have no idea. Often I can happily sit for half an hour, but in the last week the very idea of stopping has felt scary. Pushing on. I've realised that most of my recent practice has been on public transport - pluggin in to Insight Timer and I can go. But getting the cushion out at home and just sitting, not so much.

I mean, practice is practice, right? Is it qualitatively different on public transport? That is, are you getting less out of it than you would be if you sat at home? Because there's nothing wrong with taking what you can get and building up a base of habit to add on to and refine later...

• Thanks 1
On 2/25/2018 at 7:14 AM, Carpinus said:

One thing that has helped me keep my meditation moving forward is doing it before I go to sleep.  I have been using Headspace for a year now and I found that doing at bedtime is much easier than trying to sit still for 2 to 20 minutes throughout the day.  

• Like 2

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

It's time to do the showing up! How is your challenge going this past week?

• Like 1

You're probably on a cruise, but when you get back, it's time to brainstorm your next challenge!

I'm feeling an urge to do another Feegle challenge... I might do that this time around.