• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

alice-on

Starting a Karate class at school next semester, any skills I should be working on?

I'm already in decent shape. I lift challenging weights, and I'm working on finally doing big girl pushups and pull ups. I've started c25k. Any other fitness skills I should be honing in on to benefit my up coming martial arts training?

flexibility and range of motion might be something you also want to work at. You can do martial arts at any level of flexibility really, but I find martial arts are a lot easier when you can move your body better.

Not a skill so much as a habit: be sure to throw a combination or something at least once per day. It will help you immensely.

I should add that I'm already REALLY flexible. It's something I work on every day. I do yoga from time to time, but I should have lots of time to work on it over the summer. And the throwing a combo every day as a habit definitely sounds like an excellent habit to start.

i have a war face, but it's not a "i wanna kill you" type of thing. it's a blank slate so that whether I am feeling tired, hurt, confused, i try to not convey that information to my opponent. don't need to give away any advantage to my opponent... :)

get yourself a bag or speedball, anything along those lines, and make sure your used to moving as you punch or kick

Just don't practice the punches and kicks in such a manner as to make the form you use habitual, unless you've received proper instruction on form. You don't want to walk into the dojo with a habit of throwing bad punches and loose kicks, you'll end up breaking something when you try to hit something REALLY hard and that something probably won't be your target.

I'll make sure and try giving my opponents the "blue steel", along with a left turn.

Hahahahahahahaha love it

Alice! are you participating on this challenge? I'm officially recruiting people for our guild now! Join us, we have cookies!

For martial arts? I don't know, I won't be starting the classes till August, and I would normally associate myself as a Ranger, as my routine is a mix of body weight, weight lifting, running and cycling. I thought about doing the challenge this time, and this is really just excuses not to, but I joined a new gym this semester with a completely different set up and variety of racks, so I'm having one of the people there "orientate" me to all of the different racks and set ups so that I know what I'm dong in each one. So I thought I would get my shit together with this new gym this summer, finish c25k this summer, and start my karate classes in August, then when I have a more clear idea of where I am with all of these things set some clear minded fitness goals for each one. Wow, sorry for the spiel there.