• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian needs a new sleeve

Hi, everybody! Chiming in a little late this month. I got a nasty virus and have been sick for about two weeks. Just about all I've been doing is sleeping and watching TV. I'm back at work, but I can tell I don't have my full head of steam back yet. 

I binged Altered Carbon once I was well enough to sit up and watch Netflix, and I'm wishing I could just download into a new body.

giphy.gif

So here's the plan. This week, I'm going really easy on myself while I adjust to being back at work. I'm dying to get back to the gym. I hope I can manage that later this week.

REALLY EASY set of goals just to get me back on the boards:

• Something physical 3x/week -- by next week that should be light gym workouts, but it may just be "take a walk" this week.
  • Meditate every day
  • Write every day, 500 words or more
  • Like 4

I didn't bring an umbrella today because the rain was supposed to stop a couple of hours ago, but it's awfully gray out. Still hoping I can get outside to stretch my legs this afternoon, as it's supposed to be in the 70s. (We opened the windows in the afternoon all weekend -- February in the south.)

Two notes:

I highly recommend Dan Harris's new meditation book, "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics." It's very novice-friendly, nothing mystical, very funny in places, and very good common sense science-supported techniques for establishing the meditation habit.

There is a swordfight scene at the end of episode 8 of Altered Carbon that's one of the most amazing fights I've ever seen on television. If you have no interest in the show but love amazing fight scenes with women kicking ass, it might be worth it. (Content advisory: Contains many naked clones)

• Like 2

No spoilers! :P How was the rest of the show? I watched the first episode and haven't decided whether to keep watching yet. Though you are selling it with naked fight scenes. ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

No spoilers! :P 

I tried to be reasonably careful! I won't say anything else about the plot.

3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

How was the rest of the show? I watched the first episode and haven't decided whether to keep watching yet. Though you are selling it with naked fight scenes. ;) 

I really enjoyed it. I read the book a year or so ago and liked it. They made some significant plot changes for the TV adaptation, which was fine with me. It meant I didn't know what was coming. The cast was great, and they did a really good job building a very complicated sci-fi world, which can be tricky on TV. 

Nice job!!
Ugh 70 in February.... What a dream lol. I'm jealous.
(last WI ter we actually had a low of NEGATIVE 70, thank goodness that's not happened this year.)

Sorry you've been sick!! This flu season has been the worst.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Nice job!!
Ugh 70 in February.... What a dream lol. I'm jealous.
(last WI ter we actually had a low of NEGATIVE 70, thank goodness that's not happened this year.)

Hi welcome! Wherever you are, I would literally die there. I've only ever lived in warm climates.

12 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Sorry you've been sick!! This flu season has been the worst.

Silver lining: my weight is the lowest it's been ... maybe in a decade?

SO TODAY I'm going to get out to the gym. It's been over two weeks since I've had a workout, and I really want to get my routine going again. Depending on how I feel this afternoon, either suspension strength or cardio on the elliptical.

I made enchilada casserole last night in the crock pot -- I forgot to put spinach in as I meant to, so it's not as healthy as I wanted it to be, but at least I used lowfat cheese.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I tried to be reasonably careful! I won't say anything else about the plot.

I really enjoyed it. I read the book a year or so ago and liked it. They made some significant plot changes for the TV adaptation, which was fine with me. It meant I didn't know what was coming. The cast was great, and they did a really good job building a very complicated sci-fi world, which can be tricky on TV. 

It wasn't much of a spoiler :) I think I'll stick to it, if for no other reason that it looks nice. ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

NO YOU DIDN'T

I DID SO I SAID SPOILER THAT MEANS THERE'S A SPOILER COMING

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

Also every time I read your challenge title I think you're planning a tattoo :) 

24y2wr.jpg

• Like 1

I highly recommend Dan Harris's new meditation book, "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics." It's very novice-friendly, nothing mystical, very funny in places, and very good common sense science-supported techniques for establishing the meditation habit.

I think this is the guy who does the app I just downloaded? 10% happier. I really like it! Very straightforward.

Silver lining: my weight is the lowest it's been ... maybe in a decade?

SO TODAY I'm going to get out to the gym. It's been over two weeks since I've had a workout, and I really want to get my routine going again. Depending on how I feel this afternoon, either suspension strength or cardio on the elliptical.

I made enchilada casserole last night in the crock pot -- I forgot to put spinach in as I meant to, so it's not as healthy as I wanted it to be, but at least I used lowfat cheese.

I call it Hoth here. We have some of the lowest temputures on the continent - and even off. A large portion of January, it was colder here than at the south pole (also the weather forecast, I have realized, does not matter. Like at all. It Can be 30 degrees warmer OR colder than it says, half a meter of snow when it says 0% precip, blue skies when it says blizzard, I might as well look up the forecast for New Mexico for the amount of accuracy.)

Good job finding a silver lining about being sick lol. And congrats on getting a routine going again. What does an enchilada casserole have in it?

15 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

I think this is the guy who does the app I just downloaded? 10% happier. I really like it! Very straightforward.

That's him. I highly recommend it -- it's got lots of great advice in it. Co-written by the guy who designed (and narrates?) all the meditations in the app.

9 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

I call it Hoth here. We have some of the lowest temputures on the continent - and even off. A large portion of January, it was colder here than at the south pole (also the weather forecast, I have realized, does not matter. Like at all. It Can be 30 degrees warmer OR colder than it says, half a meter of snow when it says 0% precip, blue skies when it says blizzard, I might as well look up the forecast for New Mexico for the amount of accuracy.)

Yyyyyeah. I seriously could not live somewhere like that. I'm not hardy enough. :)

9 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

Good job finding a silver lining about being sick lol. And congrats on getting a routine going again. What does an enchilada casserole have in it?

It's ... a thing I made up? :) This week's edition has:

Sliced-up tortillas

Black olives

lowfat shredded cheese

veg burger crumbles

black beans

tomato sauce

chopped onion and green pepper

salsa

Like I said, I meant to add a bag of chopped spinach but forgot about it. Just about any veggies can go in there to make things a little healthier -- I potentially throw in anything that one might put into a taco or burrito or enchilada.

Layer the whole thing sort of like a lasagna, put in a slow cooker and switch it on for a few hours. Put it into tupperware to reheat and I've got a few days' worth of lunches.

• Like 1

Phewwwww first workout since getting sick over two weeks ago. Maybe first one in three weeks?

Suspension strength routine today. I think when I do my suspended pushups, I'm not going all the way deep all the time -- at least, I noticed a difference today when I was consciously paying more attention to my form. It was harder in a way that made me feel like I was getting a better workout -- so that's a thing to watch.

I'll try some cardio tomorrow. 

Now I want a nap. I can't have one, so I'll have the piece of fruit I brought for my post-workout afternoon snack.

PS: 74F this afternoon in Atlanta.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, raptron said:

Basically in the tropics. 

...all of a sudden. :) I am going to miss wearing my cool Assassin-y coat if we're really already done with cool weather.

4 minutes ago, raptron said:

Yay for not being sick anymore! 

Today is the first day I can blow my nose and not have my head immediately fill up again. So I got that going for me.

Dinner tonight is either a big-ass salad, or stir-fry veggies with tofu, noodles, and sesame dressing. Maybe salad since it's a) easier and b ) keeps fresh less time so better to eat it soon. But Ms. Rogue will get a vote. (Usually she votes "If you make dinner I won't complain about whatever you choose.")

• Like 1

Basically in the tropics. 

Yay for not being sick anymore! 
Seriously!! I have a distant memory of 74...i can't really remember what it feels like but I theoretically know it happened last summer... lol