• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian needs a new sleeve

FORGOT TO ADD: 

Added a new ab move to my suspension routine, and also did 2/3 of my squats as assisted single-leg instead of standard squats. My left leg seems way less able to handle this -- this is probably why I should do some single-leg squats once in a while?

Also, there is a martial arts room at my work gym with a heavy bag and one of those rubber bad-guy dummies with no arms so he can't hit back. I should bring my gloves and see if anyone cares if I use the room when there's no class in there. (Our gym is HUGE and I forgot this room existed.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

did 2/3 of my squats as assisted single-leg instead of standard squats. My left leg seems way less able to handle this -- this is probably why I should do some single-leg squats once in a while?

YUP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

YUP

*sigh* FINE

Recovery day. Have meditated, will write some on my lunch break as has become my habit this past couple of weeks. I just requested next Friday as a day off to write (and probably take the eldest cat for his shots). I just did some math and I've written 200+ pages since November 1.

It's supposed to rain AGAIN this weekend so I will probably not install my monkey bars AGAIN this weekend. But there will be photos when I do.

I have been watching the new season of Ultimate Beastmaster on Netflix (which is better than American Ninja Warrior even without Terry Crews this season) and feeling inspired to do some climb/hang/arm things. I think that'll be a goal next challenge.

I like this workout for climbers -- partly because she reminds me a little of both @karinajean and @raptron to me:

@Happienumber, that "how to make a staff" video you posted sent me down a Youtube rabbit hole this week. She's got some terrific videos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RogueLibrarian said:

@Happienumber, that "how to make a staff" video you posted sent me down a Youtube rabbit hole this week. She's got some terrific videos.

oh my god, doesn't she?! I've learned pretty much EVERYTHING that i've been doing from her videos so far. I hope she keeps making more forever and ever. (and I love that she describes herself as a "professional ninja," like isn't that everyones dream job in the assassins?) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

oh my god, doesn't she?! I've learned pretty much EVERYTHING that i've been doing from her videos so far. I hope she keeps making more forever and ever. (and I love that she describes herself as a "professional ninja," like isn't that everyones dream job in the assassins?) 

For sure. I've been wanting to try some kind of training with a weapon analog forever, and I never seem to get around to it. That DIY staff seems like a pretty low bar to entry.

Other things:

Longtime listeners may recall me posting last fall (ish?) about the Avengers having taken over the park near my office for filming. If you've seen the photos they released this week with Strange, Stark, Banner and Wong standing in a hero pose, that's two blocks from where I'm sitting right now. They're standing in front of my favorite lunch place. (I think they had "Pym Productions" on the trailers.)

I'm letting my Headspace (meditation app) subscription lapse this month and I'm going to try out Calm for a while. I love Headspace to death and highly recommend it, I just want a change of pace.

I um forgot to mention this? I have become an uncle again; my sister in Thailand just had her second baby. I really want/need to get over there for a visit.

58 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

AND THIS IS WHY I DON'T: my legs and butt still ache two days later.

You know what helps? More squats ;) 

• Like 1

I just had a really good gym break. I let myself into the martial arts room, kept checking to make sure nobody cared (nobody did), and did twenty minutes of solo kickboxing practice with my aggro playlist going. (Additional: I have not kickboxed with headphones on before. I definitely need a new wireless pair, as I jerked them out of my ears/phone more than once.) Then I went down to the cardio machines and did twenty minutes on the elliptical -- this was much less fun, but I listened to a podcast about knife throwing while I did that.

Eating an apple.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I listened to a podcast about knife throwing while I did that.

I'm oddly intrigued. Did you learn anything cool?

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm oddly intrigued. Did you learn anything cool?

A sample fun fact: Throwing knives don't spin in the air like you see in the movies -- if you hold them by the blade and throw them handle-first, they flip once so the blade is forward (the handle is heavier) and straighten out midair.

Knife Throwing: Super Cool

I kind of want to get some cheap throwing knives off amazon and put up a target in my back yard.

6 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

A sample fun fact: Throwing knives don't spin in the air like you see in the movies -- if you hold them by the blade and throw them handle-first, they flip once so the blade is forward (the handle is heavier) and straighten out midair.

Makes sense.

I think I might have to listen to this podcast now. :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Knife Throwing: Super Cool

I kind of want to get some cheap throwing knives off amazon and put up a target in my back yard.

you have to make sure you hold it at the right point on the blade though so it doesn't rotate into your palm on release 

(no, i'm not speaking from experience...why would i ever have...of course i wouldn't have... do i look like the kind of person who...?)

• Like 1