The Bear Complex!

Check this out! I don't know if this falls under cross-fit or whatever (neither do I know what the implications are, people around the net get so hot-headed when it comes to that stuff) but I do recommend doing this exercise. It gets you winded in all the right places, it's a time saver and from a personal stand point, I like the muscle areas it hits.

Anybody out there familiar with this? The video is pretty epic. Let me know how heavy you guys can go. Currently I can do 35lb plate per side, so that's 70lbs plus the bar of 20lbs I guess. Not bad and it's super tiring.

Thoughts?

zomg love. I don't think that's a complete workout routine in itself (i.e., do 3x a week for a month), but definitely something to add to the mix!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I have attempted the Bear a few times. I've completed it exactly one time. It is stunningly difficult.

It's appropriately named, as you most surely feel mauled by the end.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I have attempted the Bear a few times. I've completed it exactly one time. It is stunningly difficult.

It's appropriately named, as you most surely feel mauled by the end.

How much weight did you get up to? I have yet to go past my 50lbs + bar max but it already gets pretty intense!

Hahaha I love watching this video though, the pain is so tangible on their faces and it gets me motivated to go out there and do it myself.

i've actually been wanting to do this for a while now, it looks awesome. just waiting for my overhead press to get a little better or the right superlight day to fit it in :)

changed my mind, tried it over the weekend. failure saturday, success sunday. just the bar, i don't dare try heavier yet.

modifications: my press is REALLY weak, so instead of going up on weight, between rounds i stuck with the same weight and did an extra two rounds instead.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

i've actually been wanting to do this for a while now, it looks awesome. just waiting for my overhead press to get a little better or the right superlight day to fit it in :)

changed my mind, tried it over the weekend. failure saturday, success sunday. just the bar, i don't dare try heavier yet.

modifications: my press is REALLY weak, so instead of going up on weight, between rounds i stuck with the same weight and did an extra two rounds instead.

I'm far from being an expert but out of the entirety of the bear complex, I find the press the easiest: I suggest you train first with a clean and press motion to get your shoulders in shape. Or solely an overhead press. I'm really not sure but that's the most obvious solution, for me though the squat component is the deadliest doing the Bear (cardio + body weight + extra weight).

You can do it!

I'm far from being an expert but out of the entirety of the bear complex, I find the press the easiest: I suggest you train first with a clean and press motion to get your shoulders in shape. Or solely an overhead press. I'm really not sure but that's the most obvious solution, for me though the squat component is the deadliest doing the Bear (cardio + body weight + extra weight).

You can do it!

yeah, i'm focusing on my overhead press this month. I had seen this and wanted to do it a few months ago, but knew my press would be the weakest link here, so was going to wait to try it, but then you posted it... and I couldn't help myself :)

The weakness comes from an AC joint injury almost exactly 2 years ago now, so I'm just getting to the point now where I'm comfortable going for that one last rep. (So needless to say, I'm WAY behind on my shoulders) Once my overhead press is a little better I'll focus more on the clean and press - I have no issues cleaning what i can press now.

I find the squats the easiest :) But growing up on a farm, I've always had way more strength in my lower body.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I love/hate this workout, but it's good for sure. What amazes me is how quickly you adapt and improve. Yesterday was my third time and it was markedly easier than the previous session, but I was still dogging by set four and mauled by the end.

Where I tend to get blasted is my grip and shoulder girdle. My legs get tired but squatting has been my primary movement for a long time so I can do that for a looong time. Always collapse after the last set too. Love it.

I don't know if it's a rowing thing or just me being a weirdo kind of thing but when I do squats (or any kind of physical activity with my legs actually e.g. running) my heart/cardio vascular capacity is the first to give out rather than my muscles giving out. Does that make sense? I tend to reach my limit when my "heart" does, I've never actually reached a point where I settle because of muscle pain (except of course when I totally can't lift the thing haha). Does that mean I should go for heavier stuff?

Meaning let's say I'm doing the Bear, I get tired at the end (okay maybe tired is an understatement--MAULED) mostly because of the cardio aspect of doing the squats one after the other (out of breath) and not because of my legs giving up from under me. When I'm on a rowing machine, same thing, I tend to finish a leg dead to the world, my head spinning but my leg muscles are intact.

Don't get me wrong though I do get post muscle soreness the next day and all that but from my point of the view, the bulk of the bear exercise for me is its cardio aspect. Or am I doing it wrong and should totally do it with heavier weights? YIKES. Currently I'm doing it 25 lbs on each side with a silver bar (guessing 20 pounds?) so that rounds about to 70lbs.

Thoughts? What about you guys? Do you do it for the lifting or more for the circuit/interval aspect?

I consider it more as cardio/interval training rather than dedicated strength training. If you can do the full complex with a given weight, I guarantee you could do more weight if you did the individual movements at a slower pace, especially the squatting. Not to say you won't get stronger doing this, just in a different way.

For argument's sake, if you're following the primal fitness pyramid, would this fall under an "all out effort" or a "brief, intense session of full body functional movements"? i'm not sure if this is the sort of thing I should think about doing once a week or so, or 3x per week.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

For argument's sake, if you're following the primal fitness pyramid, would this fall under an "all out effort" or a "brief, intense session of full body functional movements"? i'm not sure if this is the sort of thing I should think about doing once a week or so, or 3x per week.

Without any idea what the Primal Fitness Pyramid is, I'm guessing it falls under "brief, intense session of full body functional movements" haha.

I do the Bear whenever I can't go out for a run, to me I consider it as an equivalent to going out for a 20 minute semi-hard run. Like notanartmajor said, it's more interval/cardio than full-on strength training!

Just did this full scale today for the first time. I was afraid of it so i started with light weight. 30, 40, 45, 50, 55. I got through it (barely) which tells me that I need more weight. Next time I'll start up around 45 and see what happens. I will say that it hit me hard. I told my fiancée that if I didn't come out of the locker room in ten minutes, that I might need air lifted.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge