So...

HereGoesNothingOrigSMALL.gif.8da670e73b7164af0e197503982e47e4.gif

...the thread to log this Padawan's workouts and progress toward the long-term fitness goals (along with weekly program changes).

Long-term fitness goals

1. Be lighter (get down from 205 lbs to 180lbs | 93 kg to 82 kg) | STATUS: 87 kg

2. Be leaner (cut that gross belly) | STATUS: still there, but smaller

3. Be stronger (especially in the arms and chest) | STATUS: improvement, but going for more

4. Gain more sleep (at least 7 and half hours on average) | STATUS: still under 6.5 hrs per night on avg

5. Gain deeper endurance (come to a point where I can do a full chin-up in a row and run a half-marathon) | STATUS: still half chin-ups only; but ran a half-marathon (2:07)

Typical workout week

Sun: long run (over 10k) + strength training
Mon: strength training + walking 6000+ steps
Tue: active recovery day (walking 6000+ steps)
Wed: HIIT/fartlek/hill running + walking
Thu: strength training + walking 6000+ steps
Fri: tempo run + walking (before sundown)
Sat: 24-hours rest day (from sundown Fri to sundown Sat) + walking 6000+ steps after sundown

Will post the first workout battle log soon.

When I reach the long-term fitness goals, I will become a Jedi Knight, with a seat in the Jedi Council as a bonus (I won't complain about not being granted the rank of a Jedi Master like silly Anakin did).

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

Today was the 8000+ steps of walking + strength training day. Walked nice in the snow for some 45 mins in the afternoon, listening to an audiobook; had 10853 steps at the end of the day. Did the strength training in the evening.

Warm-up + bodyweight exercises:
Several dozens of jumping jacks
2x10 pushups
2x10 squats
10x10 sec bridges
5x30 sec side planks (right)
5x30 sec side planks (left)
5x30 regular planks
2x10 supermans (of which 1x10 were alternating ones aka swimmers)
2x10 frog crunches

Dumbbell lifting (6kg x2):
3x10 flat chest fly
3x20 bench presses
2x20 twisting biceps curls
1x20 alternating biceps curls
2x20 preacher biceps curls
2x10 tricep extensions (right hand)
2x10 tricep extensions (left hand)
2x10 bent over rows (right hand)
2x10 bent over rows (left hand)

5x5 lateral raises

3x10 squats

3x5 lunges (right leg)

3x5 lunges (left leg)

3x5 side lunges (right leg)

3x5 side lunges (left leg)

Finishing up:

5x1 negative pull-ups

3x5 chin-ups

Workout duration: est. 90 mins

Reps in total: 515

Sets in total: 59

This inexperienced strength-training Padawan was unpleasantly surprised by the difficulty of some exercises. Those 30 sec planks were pretty hard. Biceps curls were hard as hell this time - last time, I managed to do 3x20 for each of the listed biceps curl exercises; I don't know if the planks sucked out the stamina from the arms or if 6-hour sleep was to blame (last time I had 8 hours). Squats were also pretty demanding on the legs, and lunges felt damn hard as usual on the hamstrings and quadriceps. Side lunges were nice - felt the knees strengthening. Also, lateral raises were slightly easier than usual. Triceps extensions felt unusually great after those damn biceps curls. Unassisted pull-up was impossible again, so I did 5 sets of 1 negative which were still hard as hell.

Still a long journey ahead to that first unassisted pull-up.

giphy.gif

Level 4 Padawan

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

Today was again a strength-training day, but much easier than the last one, though the exercises for the back, glutes and triceps were more emphasized than in the last one.

Warm-up + bodyweight exercises:
100 jumping jacks
500 steps of alternating brisk walks and easy runs
-
1x10 dips
1x10 squats
1x10 pushups
10x30 sec bridges
2x30 sec side planks (right)
2x30 sec side planks (left)
2x30 regular planks
4x10 supermans
1x20 swimmers
2x10 frog crunches

Dumbbell lifting (6kg x2):
1x10 flat chest fly
1x20 bench presses
1x10 twisting biceps curls
1x10 alternating biceps curls
1x10 preacher biceps curls
2x10 tricep extensions (right hand)
2x10 tricep extensions (left hand)
2x10 tricep hammer extensions (right hand)
2x10 tricep hammer extensions (left hand)
2x10 bent over rows (right hand)
2x10 bent over rows (left hand)

1x5 lateral raises

Finishing up:

1x5 chin-ups

Workout duration: est. 40 mins

Reps in total: 316

Sets in total: 29

Initially planned to do a harder workout (only skipping the legwork because of tomorrow's tempo run), but my arm and back muscles are so sore two days after that it was not feasible. I failed miserably even in the negative pull-up. Biceps and upper back pain throbbed like...

giphy.gif

Oh, and I'm gonna have to find more back exercises. I feel its hunger for more workout. AND... I'm gonna tweak my weekly workout cycle to fit running and strength training. I still can't figure it out quite yet.

Level 4 Padawan

Added a sleigh-pulling (my 4yo son) and snow cleaning workouts to this. :D Thought it would be too taxing after all the strength workouts but actually felt quite great. :) My body seemed more stable and firm than before.

Level 4 Padawan

My runs got quite sidetracked by crazy weather (heavy snow + below zero temps + winds). Outside, I just walked daily, cleaned the snow and did a short easy run once. But I did some additional strength workouts to compensate. For the latest one, I upped my dumbbells to 8kg each. Here's the log from yesterday's workout:

Warm-up:
100x Jumping Jacks
10x Burpees

Bodyweight training:
10x Chair Dips
10x Bodyweight Squats
10x Pushups
5x30 sec right side planks
5x30 sec left side planks
5x60 sec regular planks
20x swimmers
20x supermans
5x60 sec weighted (16kg) bridges

Dumbbell training (2x8kg):
5x5 flat chest flys
4x15 chest presses
1x10 double straight-arm pullovers (with horizontal dumbells)
4x5 bicep curls with a twist
3x10 alternating bicep curls with a twist
4x5 bicep curls without a twist
4x5 tricep extension (right hand)
5x5 tricep extension (left hand)
4x5 tricep hammer extensions (right hand)
2x5 tricep hammer extensions (left hand)
4x5 bent over rows (right hand)
5x5 bent over rows (left hand)
3x3 lateral raises
5x5 dumbbell lunges (right leg)
5x5 dumbbell lunges (left leg)
5x5 dumbbell squats
3x5 side lunges (right leg)
3x5 side lunges (left leg)

Finishing up:
3x1 negative pullups
2x5 chinups

Workout duration: est. 90 mins
Reps: 502
Sets: 83

Planks felt much better this time. I actually got enough courage to do five 1 min ones, for the first time. I upped my dumbbells from 6 kg to 8 kg each, and I gotta admit it was much harder than I expected. But this is what I wanted - transition to less but harder reps for more strength gain. It was at times an excruciating workout, but, surprisingly, I don't feel so sore today. It seems the conditioning of this Padawan is improving.

Level 4 Padawan

I so miss running, that today I was ready to go out and run in -8 C, but roads were not cleaned due to snow being frozen (which is too much even for the snowploughs), so instead of running, I went to the gym in the school I work in. It doesn’t have a treadmill, only the elliptical (which I hate), so I did 30 min of speedwork there, and then proceeded to strength training. Aaand… This was officially my first encounter with barbells and machines. As you see, I was pleasantly surprised that I could lift those, and the end of the workout surprised me most.

Warm-up + cardio:
several dozens of Jumping Jacks
The Mattock Dynamic Warm-Up Routine
est. 1500 steps of walking
10 wall pushups
30 min speed training on elliptical

Bodyweight training:
2x30 sec right side planks
2x30 sec left side planks
1x60 sec regular planks
40x swimmers
20x supermans
5x60 sec weighted (17,5kg) bridges

Lifting:
est. 2 min of farmer walk (2 x 17,5 kg)
5x5 wide-grip lat pulldowns (20 kg)
1x5 dumbbell squats (2 x 12,5 kg)
5x5 barbell bench presses (50 kg)
5x5 rack squats (25 kg)

5x5 rack overhead presses (25 kg)
5x5 barbell deadlifts (50 kg)

Finishing up:
3x3 kipped pull-ups
5x5 kipped chin-ups

Workout duration: est. 90 min
Reps: 240 (not including warmup & cardio)
Sets: 47 (not including warmup & cardio)

I dreaded deadlifts, but it actually felt pretty nice. My back hungry for a workout felt grateful. And yes, I actually managed to do 3 kipped pull-ups! Since I could do only negatives before, this made me sooo happy.

giphy.gif

Level 4 Padawan

It seems I don't have time to post here, I hardly manage to post on the 4WC thread. :/ But the training is going well. I think I'll be increasing the dumbbells to 10 kg soon.

Level 4 Padawan

Did the standard middle-duration strength training today.

Warm-up & bodyweight training

A few dozens of jumping jacks

10 pushups

10 bodyweight squats

5x30sec right side planks

5x30sec left side planks

3x1min regular planks

20x swimmers

5x30sec supermans

3x1min weighted (16kg) bridges

Dumbbell (2x8kg) lifting

3x10 flat chest flys

4x15 chest presses

3x10 biceps curls

3x10 biceps curls with a twist

3x10 alternating biceps curls with a twist

2x20 bent over rows (right hand)

2x20 bent over rows (left hand)

2x20 triceps hammer extensions

4x10 lunges (2 sets on each leg)

5x30sec calf raises

3x20 calf raises

3x10 squats

Finishing up

2x5 pull-ups

3x7 chin-ups

Workout duration: ~60 min
Reps: 496
Sets: 46

Yup, I can now do 5 pull-ups in a row. But I also have a tennis elbow for a week now. :/

Didn't run since Sunday long run (15k), planning to have a tempo run tomorrow. I'm kind of chilling this week before the next 4WC starts.

Level 4 Padawan

Had sort of a fartlek session today, exceeded the planned pace.

1521647165439.thumb.jpg.e4a22276eaf43b7921d1f24a48b0cc3c.jpg

But felt pretty good afterwards. So I went on and had a short dumbbell lifting session + a few reps on a pull-up bar.

3x10 flat chest flys

2x15 chest presses

1x10 bicep curls

3x10 bicep curls w/ a twist

1x20 alternating bicep curls w/ a twist

had a lunch and a skype meeting and then

4x10 lunges on each leg

2x10 squats

10x10sec calf raises

2x20 calf raises

1x5 half pull-ups

1x4 full chin-ups

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

Friday (03/23/2018) was a strength training. Did it ALL with my 4 years old son. He imitated all the exercises (incl. dumbbell lifting - he with 0.5 kg dumbbells), except that he did swimmers instead of supermans, and, most awesomely, he could actually do the 1 min planks! Here's a pic near the end of one such plank (notice my son already has some cool arm muscles :D ).

plankteo.png.054423fab2dc46fa39cec00afc981487.png

Warm-up and bodyweight

50 jumping jacks

10 chair dips

4x30sec left side planks

4x30sec right side planks

2x60sec regular planks

5x30sec seated leg extensions

1x10 seated leg extensions

5x30sec supermans

1x10 supermans

2x60 sec weighted (16kg) bridges

Dumbbell lifting (2x8kg)

3x10 flat chest flys

4x15 chest presses

2x10 bicep curls

2x10 bicep curls with a twist

2x20 alternating bicep curls with a twist

2x10 overhead presses

2x20 bent over rows

Finishing up

1x4 half pull-ups

2x5 half chin-ups

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan

I love how your son is joining you on this. Kids that age make great barbells, by the way.

May the force be with you.

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

Just now, PettyMort said:

I love how your son is joining you on this. Kids that age make great barbells, by the way.

May the force be with you.

Thanks! Hm... not a bad idea - will think on how to include son-barbell training for the future sessions. :D

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

I teach kindergarten. Here are some ways I exploit my students' bodyweight for my own gainz:

1. Kettlebell swings (works a little better with smaller children; watch out for flailing feet near your crotch)

2. Deadlifts

3. Barbell squats (holding them by the torso while doing squats)

4. Goblet squats (kid giving you a bear hug while you do squats)

5. Weighted walking (piggy back rides)

6. Turkish get-up (when a kid is crying and you're giving them a hug while sitting on the floor, but need to get up while holding onto them).

I

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

Thanks, @PettyMort, that's helpful (and funny)! :D:encouragement:

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

Did a core session yesterday:
18 sit-ups

18 long arm crunches

20 heel touches

18 clapping crunches

10 reclined oblique twists

1 min plank

- repeated everything, and finished with 30 sec cobra stretch + 30 sec lying twist stretch for both sides

Then did a '50-upper' dumbbell session:

50 reps for chest (20 lying chest flyes + 30 chest presses)

50 reps for lats and delts (2x25 two-arm rows)

50 reps for biceps (3x10 straight curls + 2x10 rotating curls)

50 reps for triceps (2x20 overhead extensions + 1x10 chair dips)

giphy.gif

Level 4 Padawan