Bookworm just started runnig!!

I just started running! Today! After a period of contemplation and a couple false starts, I finally got it going, just this morning.

I'm not really a beginner here. I started the sports & exercise thing a few years ago (2014). Back then I was right here, in the Rebellion! :D I must still have journals lying around the NF's server.

I've been off for a while but now I'm back bc I need the exchange.

I'm an adult-onset athlete, and when I started out, I wanted to try everything. I was/am so freaking curious.

I've done beach rugby, swimming, free weights, bodyweight, biking, crossfit, muay thai and boxing. I know it looks like I don't know what I'm doing, but I have a hectic life, and I do what I can when in the situations I find myself. Apart from being sick/injured, I haven't spent a month without some kind of training for the past four years. So there you go, it's working.

For myriad reasons, all related to being broke af, I decided to start running. I got these great nikes someone gave me as a present, working legs, conditioned body and strong core. I got all I need and some more. So I put them pretty pink nikes on this morning, got out the door and did the first run on a program I got off a magazine online.

Here is the goal: DO THREE RUNS A WEEK, FOR 5 WEEKS

It's a program to prepare for a 5K run, which I'm hoping will take me out of beginner level in running.

I don't really plan on racing any time soon, bc I can't afford registrations lol. I am really, tottaly broke, it's hard even to explain it. Suffice to say I haven't been eating as weel or as much as I would like.

What else is going on:

STRENGTH It keeps me sane. Some people lift for power, some for fun, some for fitness. I lift for mental health. I got a cheap gym membership, which is highest priotity (higher than meat), and I plan to work out twice a week, on days I'm not running.

SWIMMING I got that membership on a promotional deal, which allows me a swimming session per week. I like it, I am good at swimming. It works off pain (I'm battling chronic fatigue and it hurts like rheumatism) and eventual DOMs. 

DIET I put on loads of weight during the worse of chronic fatigue and the bad anxiety period right before it (when I wasn't lifting, I must note). I came up with a low-cost diet system in which, after sunset, I can only have either salad or soup. I haven't been very faithful to this system bc let's face it dieting is hard. My favorite cheats are popcorn, for enjoying some TV with my SO, chocolate cookies and pasta. I'm a hell of a cook and I make awesome pasta. So it's hard...

I also do work whenever any comes my way (I'm an unemployed lawyer, so there's always some little thing to do). And I study. And actually this is what I do, I study. For 20-25 hours a week. I'm that kind of nerd.

I'm preparing to enter civil service as a public attorney, so this takes up most of my time, discipline and energy. But running is not very time consuming, and it realieves stress, and it will help me with my extra weight, and it's a skill I can work on by myself, and it's something to do outside the house when you can't afford outings... SO LET'S RUN!

• Like 1

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

DAY 1/14: Street run, though it was one in the afternoon. It was cloudy and not very hot (South hemisphere, it's summer up here!).

It was an easy run, not a challenge to my condioning level. Yet :)

10' WALK + 6x (2' TROT + 3' FAST WALK) + 10' WALK

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner