Young Adult Books.

Anybody out there like (Forever)Young Adult?

Haha I'm 22 myself but I (still) love Harry Potter. I recently read the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins and I died. It was beyond epic. Mix of Battle Royale and some other cool movie. It was heart wrenching, anybody else here read it?

Know any good titles to recommend out there? I just started reading the Percy Jackson books and they weren't up to snuff, too light I guess but I'm still reading.

Cheers!

My son likes the Evil Genius books (Evil Genius, Genius Squad, etc).

Terry Pratchett, my favorite author, has also branched out with some YA books - The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, etc. They are fantastic.

There are also the classics - Frankenstein, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, King Solomon's Mines, and so on.

In fact, just head over to the Art of Manliness

Top 50 Adventure Books:

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/02/th ... e-fiction/

100 Essential Books:

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/10 ... s-library/

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Second the Terry Pratchet. If I ever have spawn, they will be reading books about a strong protagonist who gets on with things with a minimum of whining. The awesome humor is a definite bonus.

For silly good fun, the Enchanted Forest series by Patricia C. Wrede. Very tongue-in-cheek version of a traditional fantasy story - for instance, the princess doesn't want to get married, so she runs away and begs a dragon to kidnap her, then tells any knights who comes to rescue her to go away, she's busy.

I quite liked the Artemis Fowl series.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

For silly good fun, the Enchanted Forest series by Patricia C. Wrede. Very tongue-in-cheek version of a traditional fantasy story - for instance, the princess doesn't want to get married, so she runs away and begs a dragon to kidnap her, then tells any knights who comes to rescue her to go away, she's busy.

This sounds like something for me. I love those kind of fairy tale stories that have a twist to them like The Princess Bride. Definitely also a book to put on your list, Martinpanduh. It's by William Goldman. Adventure, humor, romance,... It's a great read.

I have the Hunger Games but haven't read it yet. I keep hearing good things, so it's nice to see even more positive reviews. I'm currently re-reading the His Dark Materials trilogy (Golden Compass is the first book; it was a movie a few years back). The series itself is awesome. Especially the third one. Books one and two are almost neat little adventures, but man things pick up in the third. There's one chapters that damn near made me cry, and I'm made of steal! :)

I have the Hunger Games but haven't read it yet. I keep hearing good things, so it's nice to see even more positive reviews. I'm currently re-reading the His Dark Materials trilogy (Golden Compass is the first book; it was a movie a few years back). The series itself is awesome. Especially the third one. Books one and two are almost neat little adventures, but man things pick up in the third. There's one chapters that damn near made me cry, and I'm made of steal! :)

I didn't like the first book so much, well I didn't hate it but it didn't push me to read the 2nd and 3rd. Not a good sign, maybe I'll try it again soon!

I loved the first book, but when I started on the second book, I was a bit disappointed. I didn't get any further than page 50 or so and then I put it aside. Maybe I should give it a second chance.

I've always said a good book is a good book regardless of the target audience. In fact, that's how you know a book will stand the test of time. You can re-read at different seasons in your life and pull different things out of it.

"A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest." --CS Lewis

:)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

His Dark Materials series blew my mind. Fantastic books, and Rob, that chapter STILL makes me want to cry sometimes!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins