• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jdwooley14

easy paleo recipes?

can you guys and gals recommend some easy to cook recipes? i plan on going on this diet when im out of the hospital, they got me on a 2500calorie diet but i may up it to 2700 or 2800 for a bit, then go back down at a steady pace.

for starters, i suck at cooking, my best thing i can cook is fried eggs and bacon w/ toast, so i dont got much cooking under my belt yet, any advice would be great, thanks!

Crockpots.

Toss any cheap meat into one, surround with whatever veggies you like, season with whatever herbs and spices suit your mood, and wait 6-8 hours.  Instant Paleo meal for the most part.  Personally I'm a fan of Kalua Pig, and when I'm super lazy I just take a pork shoulder and rub it with salt and garlic powder.  I have yet to have someone tell me that it's not delicious, and is maybe 10 minutes of prep work for a week-plus worth of pork (because I seriously buy 8-10 pound bone-in pork shoulders when I do this).  

So keep an eye out for those recipes, and to slowly build up your cooking ability find one recipe you want to try per week or every other week.  And accept that sometimes it's going to be crap and that you'll probably have to eat it anyway. (I have a friend who does lots of cooking, and she always said if her recipe turned into a disaster she'd just order a pizza, which is a fair way of going about it if you have the spare income - I did not have that luxury when I started.  But it's still not a terrible mindset to have as an emergency case.)

Anyway, remember you're just looking for food that is 1) edible and 2) pretty healthy and 3) tastes good for you.  You don't need to cook a gourmet  meal out of the gates!

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2018 at 8:54 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Anyway, remember you're just looking for food that is 1) edible and 2) pretty healthy and 3) tastes good for you.  You don't need to cook a gourmet  meal out of the gates!

^^^This

If you like to eat (and I've never met anyone who didn't), you can learn how to cook. 

The "secret" to cooking...come closer now...is to start cooking

Just get in there and start setting crap on fire! Or at least find something that looks good and follow someones directions online. If you don't know what a fancy frenchie term means (e.g. braised), hit up old uncle google, that guy knows some shit! (braise apparently means cook in a little bit of liquid, I still hafta look it up sometimes).

At the end of the day, the easiest thing to do is follow recipes (if you're not the adventurous type). That's the beauty of science, follow directions...poof food happens.

If you want another good resource, Alton Brown's show "Good Eats" actually goes into the science of cooking and why we do certain things in the kitchen. I watched it religiously when I went through a crippling depression in college. He is funny, entertaining, and you learn a life skill in the process.

Secondly, sorry to hear you're in the hospital, but if they've already got you on a 2500 cal diet (and your used to it), why would you increase just to decrease again? Sounds like you might have already gone through the "painful" part

and @RisenPhoenix, I see your salt/garlic pork should and raise you: bo ssam style pork shoulder: 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, cure in fridge over night. Bake at 300 for 6-8 hrs, cover with 7 Tablespoons brown sugar, cook till crusty (but not burnt) then shred