• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello everyone!

Is anyone else out there trying to manage young children? I do great with breakfast and lunch but making dinner healthy and kid friendly is tough. I have no time to exercise/ it's not a priority. I get one hour after the end of my day, dinner made, cleaned, kids in bed and it's my downtime. Anyone else in this boat?

There's some kid friendly healthy meals on the YouTube channel Tasty. 

And there's loads of healthy children meal recipes on Pinterest that are really tasty. And when all else fails, I'm old school. My mom always said, "I make the money, buy the food, and cook it up. You will eat what's put in front of you." And remember, if there is a lot of unhealthy food then you can do two things about it:

1) Make your own meals and have them ready made in the fridge

2) Watch your portion control, and only eat a small amount

Try also serving a salad with dinner first to fill up, and then eating a small amount of dinner. Drinking an entire glass of water also helps to feel full. I also recommend Trim Healthy Mama, and Keto dessert recipes (especially the cheesecake and chocolate cake ones!). If you have only a small amount during dinner and are still hungry then a good healthy dessert really helps out with filling up.

• Like 1

My theory is I shouldn't be trying to make dinner "kid friendly." I'm unsure why people do that, honestly. My kids eat what we eat. I make sure there's at least something on the plate they will willingly eat. Otherwise, if they choose not to eat what's being served, they will not die before the next meal. I always tell them I'm a mom, not a short order cook.  My kids are a little older now, but when they were small, I tried to do meals that I could make quickly (LOVE my instant pot--I wish I had had that when they were younger!) or that I could prep while they were occupied or napping in the morning or afternoon. Then I could pop it in the oven quick and not have all that dinner prep later. The internet is great for searching out those simple, but tasty recipes.

it's hard, still, to do all the things. For me it was about making myself a priority. Do the kids nap still? Do you have a significant other? Couldn't he/she take over a few times a week after dinner so you can run to the gym or do whatever you do for exercise?  Mr. Koo was great about that. There were still busy times I didn't make it, but overall we were able to work in a good routine. I can't take care of everyone else if I don't take care of myself.

• Like 2

(I have a four-year-old and a four-month-old, and) I second both of the previous posters when it comes to meals - kids are adaptable and can learn to eat whatever adults eat.

Carving out time to exercise is tough, and finding the energy to do it once you've found the time is also tough. This may sound like an awful idea, but it worked for me: get up before the kids. I hated it the first few days, but then started to look forward to it - half an hour to make some lemon water, meditate, stretch, yoga, etc before the fournado awakens.

I find the good start to the day really helps me feel good about myself, and thereby continue to make good choices throughout the day.

• Like 1

The child has been waking at 5 am lately so yeah I feel you. I second the instant pot as a life changer. That and working out at home and working out at night after she goes to bed is how I make it a priority. That and running with her in the stroller. I’d like to say I made myself more of a priority but still working on that 

• Like 1