• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Torvi

Should I join crossfit?

I’ve recently moved to a new town and I haven’t made any training friends yet. Because of this I quickly got bored at a regular gym. The classes were repetitive and the weights room was dull and not well equipped. I’ve had a look into a few options but the one that stands out the most is the local crossfit box. I have a background in weight training and am a qualified personal trainer however I had surgery 6 months ago and have not trained since. I’ve literally sat on my butt and gained weight feeling sorry for myself. I’d consider myself to be at a beginners fitness and strength level and that’s the only deterrent I have at the moment. Will I look like a fool?! Thanks in advance rebels!

Non repetitive workouts are one of the things that grabbed my attention too, nearly 3 or 4 years ago when I first got into crossfit. You shouldn't worry about looking like a fool, first because all weights and exercises can be scaled depending on each individual's skill level, medical record, limitations etc and second because the community is so supportive.

Right now I'm on my phone so I can't say much more, but tagging CF newbies @rmkwilson, @EmeraldEagle, @Mr_Willes and veterans like @Endor or @Rurik Harrgath to chip in.

• Like 1

As with anything there is good and bad in Crossfit.

What body part was the surgery on if you don't mind me asking?

What country are you in?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thank you @DarK_RaideR I love that the workouts are scalable. I’ve been watching crossfit you tubers since the 2017 open and it looks like something I’d enjoy!

@Endor my surgery was bladder/bowel/uterus (tumor removal via laparoscopy). I am in Australia, a small town on the edge of the Nullarbor plain with limited options (crossfit, F45, one lifestyle gym and two chain gyms). 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Torvi said:

@Endor my surgery was bladder/bowel/uterus (tumor removal via laparoscopy). I am in Australia, a small town on the edge of the Nullarbor plain with limited options (crossfit, F45, one lifestyle gym and two chain gyms). 

G'day! I'm also in Australia, NSW Central Coast. Sounds like a pretty serious surgery, glad to hear you are feeling well enough to train again. I was interested to know because I've done a few years of crossfit and if it was a shoulder, knee or wrist I would have been hesitant to recommend Crossfit. 

I've been doing Crossfit for about 3 or 4 years. It's varied, challenging and fun. I've also had a lot of injuries to the point where I decided to change my training and have been doing F45 for about 6 weeks now. 

The big difference between the 2 is the Olympic lifting and how heavy the weights are in Crossfit. It's a much more competitive atmosphere at Crossfit and depending on the Box you may make some good friends and experience a sense of community. So far F45 has proved to be a much more professionally organised outfit than the box I was attending. It comes an App for your phone, meal plans, 8 week challenges with body scans, a similar sense of community and is also challenging although in different ways.

What I love about F45 is what I didn't like about Crossfit, it's basically circuit training with up to 27 exercises per class and 1 minute per station. I like that it's varied, scalable and easily modified if you have injuries. What I didn't like about Crossfit was things like, do a set of 150 wall balls, do 100 thrusters, a lot of repetitions of the exact same exercise done as fast as possible is a recipe for injury in a class situation where you inevitably end up racing against someone else in the class.

What I love about Crossfit is the Olympic Weight Lifting, Cleans, Snatching, etc. and Powerlifting, Squats, Deadlifts etc. Going heavy and executing complex technical movements is very rewarding and gives you a sense of achievement. What I don't like about F45 is that you don't have enough time to go heavy properly. 

I counter-act this at the moment by using my home power rack for heavy lifting. Other people at the F45 gym also attend a globo gym for powerlifting or machine weights for strength. 

What it really boils down to is what are your goals? If you want to lose weight/drop fat go to F45 about 3-5 times a week and follow their meal plan. They will usually give you 2 weeks or more free trial as well. If you want to get stronger quickly and do a wide variety of heavy lifts and gymnastics give Crossfit a go.  

If I was in your situation I'd see if you can try them both for free and then decide. 

• Like 1

One more thing that might influence your decision, the Box will have open sessions where you can do your own training as well as classes. You won't be able to do that at F45, it's classes only. Given your background you might enjoy some training you setup yourself and unlike a globo gym you'll find people chat with you during open sessions at the box. 

@Endor that is a great perspective! I’ve considered doing the two week free trial at F45 but have a feeling I will love it and it is not a financially viable option at the moment ($60 p/week vs $80 p/month at the crossfit box here). I will definitely try both, even if I start at the box and move to F45 when we are in a better financial situation (mum of one and full time uni student - tough!). 

Thank you you for your advice, I really appreciate it :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Torvi said:

$80 p/month at the crossfit box

That's ridiculously cheap, are you sure that's right? I'd have their arm off at that price. 

1 hour ago, Endor said:

That's ridiculously cheap, are you sure that's right? I'd have their arm off at that price. 

Crazy isn’t it?! Very small family run box as well. I’m pretty stoked with their prices! Plus they run a yoga class on the weekend, free child minding etc. can’t really go wrong, can I?! 

• Like 1

Crazy isn’t it?! Very small family run box as well. I’m pretty stoked with their prices! Plus they run a yoga class on the weekend, free child minding etc. can’t really go wrong, can I?! 
Sounds great. Coaches credentials any good?

1 hour ago, Endor said:

Sounds great. Coaches credentials any good

I believe so, all level one certified at a minimum. I don’t know what would be classed as good or bad, I like to think as a PT myself I’d be able to spot a dud or bad form advice or whatnot. Not keen on copping an injury because of bad coaching :apologetic:

this is is their site (it’s terribly messy and unorganised but has all their info)

https://www.kalactive.com.au/

5 hours ago, Torvi said:

I believe so, all level one certified at a minimum. I don’t know what would be classed as good or bad, I like to think as a PT myself I’d be able to spot a dud or bad form advice or whatnot. Not keen on copping an injury because of bad coaching :apologetic:

this is is their site (it’s terribly messy and unorganised but has all their info)

https://www.kalactive.com.au/

The website isn't doing them any favours is it, looks like someone knocked it up at home in 10 mins. The facility looks pretty good though from what I can see, there's a 360 on their Facebook page, looks pretty big. Surprisingly they don't appear to have any Open sessions to train on your own, maybe it's just not on their timetable. 

My first impression isit's a bit cheesy and cliche but they look pretty friendly and I expect you'll meet some nice people. Give it a go. 

Should you join CrossFit?

Yes, in a word. It'll change your life.

Long version, you'll see your body develop capabilities beyond your wildest dreams if you put in the work and pay attention to your coaches. You'll make friends and find a family away from your family - there are more stories out there of CrossFit community than I can even begin to describe, but using myself for example, I've been out of the gym for about a month since testicular cancer surgery. Within days my closest CF friends who hadn't even heard of my surgery had already noticed my absence and reached out. I popped into watch an Open workout and received a big hug from my coach who I also hadn't spoken to. I'm a private individual but these gestures mean something.

That doesn't even begin to delve into the feeling of the cheers you'll receive at your first pull-up/muscle-up/handstand push-up/double-under/any PR. The loudest cheers are for the most struggling athlete, the last to finish, the underdog. You'll always be encouraged to push through the Dark Place/the suck/your own quit and will have a similarly-talented member to chase. A good coach will know exactly how to scale a workout for you, which movements you could alternate in case of a major weakness or while recovering from an injury or surgery.

Conclusion, feel out the Box in question. It'll be clear in short order whether the community is a flop or the coaches are duds. My Box changed my life. I was overweight and depressed, had few friends, and no athletic background or purpose in life. While I can't always overcome my depression demons, CF gives me an outlet, a challenge, and a workout. I have a whole community of positive, engaging, and welcoming friends - with new faces popping in regularly. I've found my sport, having never played anything before, and have competed in CrossFit itself, powerlifting, and weightlifting at the provincial level. I'm the consummate amateur but I've enjoyed every experience along the way! Now CrossFit (and my family at the gym) give me a reason to get my ass out of bed when I'm feeling down on myself.

At least I'll get a sweat on a feel the least bit accomplished by the end of it.  ;)

Glad to answer any and all further questions (just reply or tag me, I don't check in too much lately)!

• Like 2

On 10-3-2018 at 7:43 AM, Torvi said:

I’ve recently moved to a new town and I haven’t made any training friends yet.

YES, CrossFit

Because of this I quickly got bored at a regular gym.

YES, CrossFit

The classes were repetitive and the weights room was dull and not well equipped.

YES, CrossFit (i peeked at the link you posted for Endor and saw: kettelbells, rowers, barbells, rack, a nice open space, and read about the outside WOD area)

I’ve had a look into a few options but the one that stands out the most is the local crossfit box. I have a background in weight training and am a qualified personal trainer however I had surgery 6 months ago and have not trained since. I’ve literally sat on my butt and gained weight feeling sorry for myself. I’d consider myself to be at a beginners fitness and strength level and that’s the only deterrent I have at the moment. Will I look like a fool?! Thanks in advance rebels!

I've started the intro course at my box about a year ago, and have been actively doing crossfit for 3/4 of a year (3 months out due to a sprained ankle at an obstacle course).

Yesterday was the day we collectively did 18.3 at our box. You do the workout, and you judge somebody else's workout. I had to judge a girl a few years older than i am. She is only doing CF for a few months and  is having some problems with mobility. I know this because she usually is around the same hours as i am during the oly specialization, and every time we snatch she is working on overhead mobility with a PVC pipe. At this point she cannot do a proper overhead squat (second exercise of 18.3). So she decided to do the workout Rx and just go for 100 double-unders within the timecap of 14 minutes, which would be hard on it's own as she has practiced a bit, but not that much, stringing only 2-3 after each other max. Next to her was a girl doing it scaled, who never did a pull up. On the other side was a girl, who just missed her first ring muscle up in warmup before the WOD. The crowd was going wild during the WOD, cheering hard for my lane when she hit her 50th double under (just before the halfway mark) and again when she hit 100 at 12:38! Going from 95 straight to 100, first time she got over 3 of them together! And the other lanes there was huge cheering for the girl who made her first pullup, and on the other side, for the girl who didn't just made her first ring muscle up, but after that repeated it 7 times more! It was by far the best wave to watch that day.

But the atmosphere at these things is just fantastic, you can talk with anybody, from the beginners who are eager to beat each other, to the veterans (oldest guy there yesterday was over 65, and 3 in the 60+) to the beast of the box, and the few who compete at the nationals. And it feels like on big family!

Endor, Rurik, and Willy pretty much said it all. And I agree with all of it. I spoke to a cousin yesterday who said she tried a box by her and the coaches pushed her so hard she felt like they were going to cause injury so she dropped her membership. I have never had that issue at my box. All of our coaches listen to us and know how to scale the movements. If we have concern or fear of something they help us through it.

Rurik's post read almost exactly as I would write it. I was never an athlete. I took ballet/dance lessons from age 4-21, so had some good mobility, but I was far from athletic. Also I was 37 by the time I joined CF and had a child. I was weak in every way. I am approaching my 1yr anniversary with CF this month. I have gained so much. Friend (which I didn't have many of), strength (lots of strength), and most importantly self confidence (I was seriously lacking in confidence). It has also given me an outlet for my anxiety and moodiness. My 6 year old gets to go to special kids classes once per week and she even loves it. My husband has been a member now for 2 years. It is the best community I have ever been a part of.

Now I do pull muscles, and have "old" cranky joints. I have been taught mobility exercises and see the chiropractor that comes to our box every so often. I need occasional adjustments then I am ready to get back to it. Listen to your body and you are less likely hurt.

I pay for kids fit once per week, regular membership (for husband and I), and special barbell club classes that are 3 times per week (for hubby and I). We spend ALOT on CF....and I wouldn't have it any other way

• Like 1

Ah I love this thread!!! 

Thank you all for replying. 

I went in today and did my my first session and I’m already hooked. The people were wonderful, the coach was fantastic and the vibe was just amazing. Definitely joining!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Torvi said:

Ah I love this thread!!! 

Thank you all for replying. 

I went in today and did my my first session and I’m already hooked. The people were wonderful, the coach was fantastic and the vibe was just amazing. Definitely joining!

Ah that's great news! Well done for having the courage to get into it, did you get the pricing right? I still can't believe it! 

@Endor

i am signing up tomorrow morning but just found this email from my enquirer late last year 

Hi Jessica The Foundations is $180 for the month, but won't run until early next year.I'm thinking of changing the way we run it, but can let you know as it comesaround if you like? Our normal membership is $80 direct debit, but no lock in contracts or capped sessions. 

We don't enforce the Foundations so if you'd like to come in for a try
please just let me know!!

:)
Kaye”

[mention=12789]Endor[/mention]
i am signing up tomorrow morning but just found this email from my enquirer late last year 

Hi Jessica The Foundations is $180 for the month, but won't run until early next year.I'm thinking of changing the way we run it, but can let you know as it comesaround if you like? Our normal membership is $80 direct debit, but no lock in contracts or capped sessions. 

We don't enforce the Foundations so if you'd like to come in for a try
please just let me know!!

Kaye”
Awesome! How exciting!

So! Week one of crossfit done!

I told myself, having been away from a gym for more than 6 months, that I'de be happy with two crossfit sessions and a yoga class.

I underestimated how much I would ENJOY crossfit, I ended up going to 4 crossfit classes and did two yoga classes at home. WINNING!

I must admit, this is some kinda soreness! After two days of no crossfit, I am feeling better and ready to go back!

Thank you all for the encouragement!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Torvi said:

So! Week one of crossfit done!

I told myself, having been away from a gym for more than 6 months, that I'de be happy with two crossfit sessions and a yoga class.

I underestimated how much I would ENJOY crossfit, I ended up going to 4 crossfit classes and did two yoga classes at home. WINNING!

I must admit, this is some kinda soreness! After two days of no crossfit, I am feeling better and ready to go back!

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Heh heh, it is addictive! Glad you are enjoying it, 4 classes in one week is a big effort, well done!

What do you use for your Yoga workouts? Do you have a DVD or something?