• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Raxie

Rangers Gonna Take the OWLs Mini Challenge

First day of presses-against-the-dark-arts done, but having tried them I'm going to have to tweak the reps a little! 8 straight press, 10 overhead, 12 chest. ExpelliARMus!

• Like 1

divination, Oh YES.  I will greatly benefit from some meditation time this week.  I'm already looking forward to it!

• Like 2

Tassomancy completed! I couldn't sleep last night because of anxiety and had a moment of, "Why am I letting things be this way when I know what to do," and meditated. A few minutes later, I was asleep. 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Raxie said:

Week Four OWLs: Charms and Ancient Runes

Great job students, you are so close to the end! Unfortunately this last week involves the two toughest subjects to be tested thus far, so don't become lackadaisical quite yet.  Your Charms exam will be held in the Quiddich field, and Ancient Runes will be in the Great Hall.  Stay focused, don't give up, and you are sure to succeed.

Charms Exam

Students, if you look all the way across the field at the end the lanes painted in front of each of you, you will see a quaffle. Your task is to use the Accio charm to summon it across the field, past the line immediately in front of you. It is not required that you catch the quaffle as your athletic skill is not what is being graded, however demonstrating that you have utilized the spell with enough delicacy that you would be able to catch the ball if you had the proper coordination is required for a grade of Outstanding.  You have thirty minutes to complete this task.

HandyConcernedIcterinewarbler-max-1mb.gi

Go the distance and get that quaffle across the field! This week for your active mini, incorporate a distance-based workout into your routine.  This can be anything from rucking, to the erg, or swimming, hiking, skipping, running, or even some animal crawling work (like frog jumps, bear walks, crab walks, etc).

The Study of Ancient Runes Exam

The study of ancient runes is a difficult subject that most choose to pass up.  Many think it is just a simple exercise in translation to be a good Runologist, however you all (hopefully) know this is not true.  The discipline involved in deciphering the original texts of ancient spells and lore requires finesse and focus.  Today's exam will not only require you to translate text from Ancient Runes into English, but will also include some words and phrases you have not yet been taught and would not be found in any of your texts - just like a Runologist in the field you will have to use context and your knowledge of the rune alphabet to suggest a translation.  You will also need to identify the time period and location the text originated in.  Good luck! 

original.gif

Just like Runology, listening to our body's messages is not always a simple translation.  Our bodies are weird, and sometimes the cues it gives are hard to read.   They require regular care and maintenance that sometimes requires attention to detail to figure out the problem. This week for your recovery mini you need to incorporate soft tissue release into your routine.  This can be done with foam rolling, using a lacrosse ball on trigger points, active release therapy, or you can get fancy and go get a real massage (#treatyoself).  If you've never done this before and aren't sure where to begin, here are some beginner foam rolling techniques.  Also if you don't have access to any of these tools you can always do self massage, which is also really effective.  Keep in mind it can sometimes be a bit painful so don't over do it! Also pay attention while you do this, as sometimes you'll find knots in areas you didn't even know about which may be affecting other parts of your body (for example I recently found a knot forming in my quad that I realized had been giving me hip pain).

I personally am a huge fan of myofascial release (I am currently sitting on a lacrosse ball at my desk while writing this) and don't think I'd be able to recover as quickly as I do without it, so if you have any questions please reach out!

The last week's exams are up! Once you have chosen your subject for the week, post your plans here and keep us updated on when you accomplish it! In all cases these are in addition to what you already have planned for your challenge and I encourage you to use the opportunity to try out something new. Don't be shy about questions either.  Have fun!

• Like 1

I had a kind of weak pass last week. I did the push-ups and calf raises, but never got around to the dips. I didn't squeeze them in at the end of the week because my triceps were really sore from yoga.

This week...wow...distance and "torture". Why not both?? I already braved the foam roller this evening. I'll bring my lacrosse ball with me on my trip! My distance plan will be to get more than 27 miles this week (beating last week) and have my long run longer than 12 miles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm, I already get lots of distance stuff in, so runes this week for sure. I have a foam roller sitting all unused and lonely in my closet, time to bust it out!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Got out the tennis ball last night and rolled the bottoms of my feet .... oh, hurts so good!!!

This is one of my favourites!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 9:02 AM, deftona said:

Report back! 

Well, that took me longer than I thought it would.  ;-)

I always get INFP although I almost think that INTP fits me better, but it really depends on my mood.

So in the Potter world I'm most like Luna (RAVENCLAW WOOPWOOP) and in Star Wars I'm most like Luke (meh).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I always get INFP

You know, I can totally see this. It makes a lot of sense :) 

• Like 1

mmm I kind of "Neville'd" my exams this week. Didn't do too well at either the lacrosse ball rolling or the attempt at a long run.

Hopefully they'll keep me around for another year at Hogwarts!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 3:31 PM, Seraphina said:

Charms for me this week! It's going to be built-in for me, as I'm traveling to New Orleans and I'll get it trekking around the city :lol:

7c5865fc01de92e9a1b4e7b2af7bac2b.gif.f7ac0fcf1dbcaf41e5c8c4d578320b1c.gif

I'm baaaack! I walked 19 miles in 2 days. I didn't have pudding, but beignets are kind of the best dessert in New Orleans anyway :D 

• Like 1

Amazing job everyone - congrats to everyone who passed any of the exams and a special shout out to those who passed all of them! You're going great places in the wizarding world for sure :) 

• Thanks 1