Stribs breathed a sigh of relief as she emerged from the mines; the hype had been rebuilt and all would be back to normal soon enough.  She could already feel the hype intertwining itself with her aura once again, and the feeling settled her mind and her tired body.

She took a shortcut through the woods, off the path, enjoying the quiet of the forest juxtaposed with the invigoration of the hype that now raced through her veins. She wandered down a ravine where some wild flowers were in bloom, taking in the first signs of spring after a long winter of the grind.  She thought about wandering further, but changed her mind when she noticed how dark it was getting, and how loud the rustling of her steps had become walking through the tall weeds and flowers. She should probably get back home; it was best not to be caught out alone after dark, hype or not.

As she climbed out of the steep ravine, a low ringing rumbled in her ears, and goosebumps raced across her skin.  She calmored clumsily over the edge, looking for the direction of the path and quietly reminding herself to work on pull ups, but the ringing and the chill remained. She shook her head, rubbing her arms with her hands, but the goosebumps only spread, manifesting themselves as a pit in her stomach.  

She took off at a jog toward the path back to her house, finding it quickly, but not slowing as the hype was replaced with a feeling of dread.  She finally slowed as her house came into view, but picked up the pace again when she noticed something different about her door. When she reached her home, she saw a torn piece of scroll had been stuck into her door with a knife.

She ripped it off, recognizing the handwriting almost immediately, despite there being no signature.  She let it fall to the ground, entering her house long enough to grab her pack and stuff it with her water skin, her sleeping mat and some food. Then strapping her bow to her back, and stuffing her daggers in her boots, she left without even locking the door.  She thought for a moment about heading back to the guild hall, but she shook her head, starting off in the other direction, stopping only to pick up the note from the ground before bracing her body for a long jog that it wasn't even close to trained for...the words “they’re coming” pounding in her head with each step she took.

Soooo, Stribs is in some deep shit.  Four monsters from her past are after her and she has to fight them off in order to survive.  The time for training is over and the real battle has begun. Each beast will have a certain number of hit points (they will increase week by week as we are looking for improvement, not perfection), and in order to vanquish each week’s beast, Stribs has to earn more points than the beast has.

GOALS: (33 points possible per week)

DRINK 162oz OF WATER OR UNSWEET TEA A DAY

• 1 point day (81 oz equals .5 because that is still improvement from the 40 or so I have been getting)

1600-1800 calories a day (aim for 1600 on non gym days and 1800 on gym days)

• 1 point a day

Get 6-8 hours of sleep a night

• 1 point per night

Do my school and home dailies

• 2 points per day (1 per location)

The rules and other things that matter to my scoring, but maybe not to you.

Spoiler

OVERALL points will be awarded at the end of the week to decide the outcome of her battle with the beast, which will be written every Saturday but individual category scores will drive how the narrative plays out (the better the score, the better off Stribs is) 

SAVING THROWS AND HEALING POTIONS

Each week, Stribs gets the opportunity for one “saving throw” if she is within 3 points of her goal without anymore points to earn.  If she did not use the ones from the previous week, she can opt to use any BUT only one can be used a week.  It must be completed before noon on Saturday of that week.

• 0 Week: Put away all unfiled file folders at school OR 75 burpees
  • Week 1: Deep clean the back bathroom OR 75 burpees
  • Week 2: Deep clean the kitchen appliances (stove, oven, microwave, fridge) OR 75 burpees
  • Week 3: Clean out and detail my car OR 75 burpees
  • Week 4: Sweep and mop the entire house OR 75 burpees

Healing potions don’t add points, but they will allow her to heal from an injury incurred from a low score penalty.  Stribs gets a healing potion if she has been to the gym 3 times that week. They roll over if they are not used.

Streaks:

Streaks of 1, 2, 3, and 4 weeks will help Stribs earn valuable things that will help her on her journey.  I have decided what these are but will not reveal them because they play into the narrative and we all hate spoilers.

I actually started yesterday, because I am apparently a traditionalist and weeks have to start on Sundays.  I got my 4 points yesterday, and am close to my 4 today, but we will see.

The main struggle I see in this challenge is spring break that falls week 2.  But we have 2 weeks to really make progress before then, so we will see.  I didn't make any gym goals this go round (beyond to help with healing potions) because the gym is a habit.  I no longer need reminders, and these things I have picked are seriously lacking or ignored in my life.  

I am REALLY REALLY stoked about this challenge as I already have each week planned out and mapped out. (that was the issue with my last narrative challenge...no planning...so i only wrote the one time...but I have a really really good feeling about this :) 

Happy challenge!  Now to follow some threads!!!

• Like 9

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Current Challenge: Nova's FAB FIVE Summer Selfcare Superpalooza

FRICK THOSE MONSTERS, they're gonna get an ass whoopin' >:[[[[

I hope you get some streaks because now I'm curious as to what the rewards are!! :DDDDD

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Excellent writing!

I love this challenge; I can't wait to see how it unfolds. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Level 44 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Monday:

Water: 170 oz (2)

Dailies: Done and done (3)

(when I say I struggle with paper, this is what sorting 3 weeks worth of extra copies looks like in my organizationally inept world, BUT they are now all in folders and just need to make it IN the filing cabinet)

Spoiler

paperstruggle.thumb.jpg.79d061d4ee096c7bc30e2f4db2b412a3.jpg

Calories: 1670 (2)

Sleep (from the night before): Just over 6 hours. (1) This is going to be a hard one because I get up at between 4:15 and 4:30...and 10pm seems so early

Total Points: 8

• Like 5

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

1 hour ago, shaar said:

FRICK THOSE MONSTERS, they're gonna get an ass whoopin' >:[[[[

I hope you get some streaks because now I'm curious as to what the rewards are!! :DDDDD

Me tooooooo.  Can't wait to kick some ass!

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

Excellent writing!

I love this challenge; I can't wait to see how it unfolds. 

Thanks, I'm sooooo excited :) 

Following along to see all the defeated monsters in your wake.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along to see all the defeated monsters in your wake.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Following!

Sweet!  Welcome!

So, I have a bit of a dilemma currently.  The DOMS from yesterday are real enough (as expected after all the squat presses) and today was supposed to be my Squat, OHP, and rows day on Stronglifts.  And I know the rule is don't train the same muscle groups two days in a row, so part of me is like...skip, go to bootcamp tomorrow like usual then lift Thursday.  Is this part of my body right?  Or can the gainz greedy part of my body go in to the gym and deload for a day?  Or maybe I'll revisit some old friends I haven't seen in a while, like bicep curls...but really, my knees, hips, and shoulders are sore AF, so I'm probably just gonna pull out my trusty darebee yoga routines that I like and do those at the house.  But it feels wrong skipping the gym.

Edit: We did some stretching and yoga.  Not counting it as a gym day, but whatevs.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stribs said:

OR 75 burpees

That's  just evil. You gonna destroy this challenge! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

2 hours ago, Stribs said:

giphy.gif

Sweet!  Welcome!

So, I have a bit of a dilemma currently.  The DOMS from yesterday are real enough (as expected after all the squat presses) and today was supposed to be my Squat, OHP, and rows day on Stronglifts.  And I know the rule is don't train the same muscle groups two days in a row, so part of me is like...skip, go to bootcamp tomorrow like usual then lift Thursday.  Is this part of my body right?  Or can the gainz greedy part of my body go in to the gym and deload for a day?  Or maybe I'll revisit some old friends I haven't seen in a while, like bicep curls...but really, my knees, hips, and shoulders are sore AF, so I'm probably just gonna pull out my trusty darebee yoga routines that I like and do those at the house.  But it feels wrong skipping the gym.

Edit: We did some stretching and yoga.  Not counting it as a gym day, but whatevs.  

So lemmie see if I got it right... Yesterday you did a bunch of bodyweight work, today you're sore, and you're wondering weather to lift heavy today?  I think you can lift, in fact it will help with the soreness.  But you might want to back your weight down, just to make sure you don't build to much fatigue. Lift lighter but more reps/sets.

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

2 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

So lemmie see if I got it right... Yesterday you did a bunch of bodyweight work, today you're sore, and you're wondering weather to lift heavy today?  I think you can lift, in fact it will help with the soreness.  But you might want to back your weight down, just to make sure you don't build to much fatigue. Lift lighter but more reps/sets.

It wasn't body weight work.  I had a 30 lbs barbell the entire time.  If ot was body weight, the answer would have been simple: gym, ha.  I went easy this morning with stretching and yoga, but will be back in action tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

That's  just evil. You gonna destroy this challenge! 

I was really trying to make the saving throws unappealing.  Ha.  If there is one thing in this world I would rather avoid, it's burpees

Following! We have to make sure you don't disappear again :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Maigs Settles In

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 #11, #12, #13, #14#15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23, #24, #25, #26, #27, #28, #29, #30, #31, #32#33#34#35, #36, 373839,  4041, and 42

2020 Races:  Spartan Trifecta - pushed to 2021 / Big Red Challenge 7k June 13 (cxld) / 5k the Hard Way Oct 17 (cxld)

6 hours ago, Cheetah said:

giphy.gif

Now I want to know what this gif is from.

This challenge sounds fun! Can't wait to see how you do.

• Like 2

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20

My Fitness Pal - inactive

8 hours ago, Xena said:

I like all your extra rules and stuff. The challenge sounds hard but fun!

I'm pretty stoked!!

7 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Following! We have to make sure you don't disappear again :)

sweet!  Thanks!! 

4 hours ago, EaseActivate said:

Here to follow!! 

Welcome!!!

4 hours ago, Echocheanic said:

This challenge sounds fun! Can't wait to see how you do.

Thanks!!

Today has been pretty good so far.  A few mildly frustrating things have occured in the last hour (I got scheduled for some evening hours at job number 2...so Tomorrow and Thursday I won't get home til close to 8 (kill me...its not like I need to relax, or recharge, or grade, or get to bed at a decent hour) and my computer is beeping at me when it boots up so I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the keyboard, but I am still panicking about backing everything up before it croaks....if it does...who knows.  Just stupid little things that drive my anxiety.  Also, I started using a new protein powder with thermogenics for cutting...and its really just making me hungry all the time.  Gah.  And I skipped the gym this morning.  blegh.  Will report back later when something has gone well, ha.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Xena said:

In spite of the (entertaining) grumbling, you can’t hide your generally optimistic nature. Yes, something WILL go well soon J

It's because I knew what I was making for dinner :) I can't stay mad when I'm stuffing my face with quesadilla.  Especially when they are a huge splurge (cheese, avocado, chicken, black beans, pico) and they come in under calorie count :) 

• Like 4

Today's Goals:

Water: 164 oz (3)

• really struggled with this after forgetting to fill my waterbottle for my last block at school and skipping like 4 hours.  Have been drinking like crazy all evening.

Dailies: Done and Done. (5) 

•  I will lose a point tomorrow because my school ones won't get done due to me having to leave early for a DR appt.  Shark week has been all kinds of wonky so we need to get that shit sorted.  I will do my best to handle what I can during the day, but my first priority has to be those darn kids.

Food: 1740 (3)

• I'm feeling really comfortable within this range.  It is still a deficit for me, but I felt that 1600 was very restrictive, especially on lift days when I became a hungry, hungry hippo)

Sleep: Was in the bed from 10-4:15, (3) 

• I know I was awake for a good bit last night between the dogs needing to kick me and hubs snoring, but it was not for lack of trying, so I'm counting it.  The getting in bed by 10pm is really what I'm aiming for here...those other things are out of my control

Total Weekly Points: 14

Will try to add to the narrative before Saturday to give you guys some set up

• Like 3

Sounds like a good day; good job!

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

15 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Sounds like a good day; good job!

11 hours ago, Salinger said:

Great day! Hope today is just as good, even with the issue of school stuff. Keep smiling Stribs <3 xx

Thanks guys.  Once I ate I felt a lot less stressed. ha.

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

Oh wow I love your saving throws set up! What an awesome idea. *files away in brain for future stealing* :)  Following!

Thanks!  Hubs is a dungeon master.  I play occasionally and liked the lingo (and really really don't want to get eaten by a beast, ha)

So, my DR got done really fast, so I got to come and chill for a bit before my oil change and work.  Feels really weird being home now...and I really hope my kids are behaving.  I don't like missing school.  I also have a sudden urge to EAT ALL THE THINGS. Like I guess because I'm out of school my body thinks we don't have to play by the rules...so I'm drinking water and telling inner Stribs that has no impulse control to STFU, though I did stash a protein bar in my purse just in case.  Better than the drive through burger my body is currently demanding. 

• Like 3