Maigs Un-Hibernates

Maigs

About halfway through the last challenge I seemed to have finally come out of hibernation. I stopped wanting to stuff my face and sleep and instead eat healthily and get outside. I actually have the desire to try running again. I've been experimenting with my own modification of intermittent fasting where I eat my normal breakfast and dinner but instead of eating my lunch promptly at 11:30 I wait until I'm actually hungry (1-2pm usually) and then just eat a 200cal protein bar. I'm feeling good, am not hungry, and the scale is finally responding again. 

My goals are the same as they have been. I've been adding a new habit every month and I will continue to stick with them.

January - No sweets. This has actually stuck pretty well. It will be a while before I can say I've truly kicked the sweets addiction but I don't have cravings anymore and can be around them without indulging. If I do indulge though I binge so I'm still avoiding them until I can actually eat reasonable amounts

February - No snoozing. I wake up with the alarm. This has also been pretty easy, but only because I set no goals for what I do when I get up. I usually sit on the couch and blearily stare at my phone until Hubs gets up 20-30 minutes later. I may add to this later, but I'm not sure what I want to do yet

March - Bike to work on each bike-able day. This is more subjective than I'd like but generally a low above freezing, no precipitation, and no off-site meetings. I'm thinking of talking to Boss and saying if I do have to change offices during the day (there's 2 I go to and they're each bike-able distances but in opposite directions) I will work at each office for half the day and spend my lunch biking between them.

April - Undecided as of yet

• Like 7

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

Following!!!  Can't wait to see you crush your goals!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Following.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following along :) 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Welcome all!

It's definitely spring (despite below freezing temperatures in the mornings still....) because Rangerbrain is really starting to kick in again. I want to try running and lifting and get back to regular kickboxing and biking and and and

*mumbles to herself* "I can't do all the things. I can't do all the things. I can't do all the things."

• Like 6

Two things I'm struggling with that are holding me back. The "Big Why" and figuring out what I really want to do. These are related, but different.

These are very personal things that no one can tell me what the answer is so this is really just a brain dump.

Big Why - Why do I want to lose more weight? I desperately want to get rid of some more fat but why? I can't really say it's health related because I'm healthy. I'm within "normal" BMI and my bloodwork is great. I'm not looking to attract anyone because I'm married and Hubs doesn't care about size as long as it's not an extreme. I'm not really self-conscious, I'll wear skin tight jeans and if for some reason it came up I'd have no problems lifting my shirt to show my stomach. I don't like my legs but I don't think I'd like my legs and any size, legs are just kinda ugly to me. This is probably part of why I've stalled for so long. I reached a "healthy" BMI and an arbitrary goal I set when I was obese and now I don't have anything I'm really working towards

Edit to add: Health is super important to me. I refuse to be the little (or obese) old lady that can barely move. Or the fit seeming person who has a heart attack in their 50's. But my current health and fitness levels support this goal. Losing the last bit of fat won't really make either outcome more or less likely

What do I want to do? Well, I have Rangerbrain so I want to do everything. Or at least I think I do. Until it's actually time to do it. I want to be able to run a  sub-30 minute 5k, but I don't want to go out and run. I want to be strong, but lifting is kinda boring. I want  to be at least a little flexible, but I can't work up the motivation to stretch. What the hell do I want to do that I actually want to do? I really enjoy kickboxing and just need to make it back into class, but there also should be more. There's only 1 class a week I can really make unless I go at 5am, but let's be honest here, that is not gonna happen, I don't want it that bad.

• Like 4

Big whys are tough! Especially if you've hit your basic healthy living goals. Could you find something in your OCRs to motivate you? Or maybe you're more motivated by doing things with other people (like kickboxing)?

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

4 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Big Why

4 hours ago, Maigahane said:

What do I want to do?

Super important stuff.  I didn't really get serious about fitness until I settled my long-term big-picture goals, and I'm constantly referring back to them to see if what I'm doing supports those goals.  I pray that you will soon have clarity and resolution about these questions.

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

5 hours ago, Maigahane said:

There's only 1 class a week I can really make unless I go at 5am, but let's be honest here, that is not gonna happen, I don't want it that bad.

Lol.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to get there that early if you find something you really enjoy.  That's why I'm there at 5:30...that and necessity really. 

I totally get needing a big picture and something you can stick to.  I don't have much advice, because I'm still in the "meet my goal" phase but I hope you figure it out!!  I'll be here to support you along the way.

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

15 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Big whys are tough! Especially if you've hit your basic healthy living goals. Could you find something in your OCRs to motivate you? Or maybe you're more motivated by doing things with other people (like kickboxing)?

I love my OCRs but so far they haven't worked well to keep me on a workout schedule. I think what I need is something structured and externally motivated. I think the fitness classes at my gym are the way to go, I just need to get better about going to them

15 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Super important stuff.  I didn't really get serious about fitness until I settled my long-term big-picture goals, and I'm constantly referring back to them to see if what I'm doing supports those goals.  I pray that you will soon have clarity and resolution about these questions.

I'm on track for all the important long-term big-picture goals, but the last bit of fat loss is so superficial that it doesn't fall under the "be healthy, financial secure, and kind the to earth and others" overarching life plan

13 hours ago, Stribs said:

Lol.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to get there that early if you find something you really enjoy.  That's why I'm there at 5:30...that and necessity really.

I love the idea of getting up and getting my workout done early....until it's 4:30am and then I absolutely hate the idea. If I can quit my job they have some 9:30am classes that would be great :)

13 hours ago, Stribs said:

I totally get needing a big picture and something you can stick to.  I don't have much advice, because I'm still in the "meet my goal" phase but I hope you figure it out!!  I'll be here to support you along the way.

Thanks!

• Like 2

My gym is putting on a 10 week transformation challenge. It goes from March 24th to June 2nd. It's free but I still don't think there's quite the structure that would really motivate me. You have to complete 70 workouts (weekends count double), 26.2 miles of walking/running, 100 miles of biking (or 8 spin classes), and record your food 3 times a week. The only thing that is required at the gym is the before and after measurements/pictures. I'm not sure if I'll sign up or not. I'm super motivated right now but I'm afraid those requirements might lead to burnout. Plus it ends when we might be on vacation (I really need to hammer out the details on our vacation....)

Anyway, yesterday was a good day. I woke up with the alarm, ate healthy foods, and went to spin class. I was nearly vegan, just some milk derivatives in my lunch bar. I realized I picked a bad month to add the biking goal. I got all excited when I could bike three times in a week, but since then it's been too cold and with DST the sun doesn't rise until after I get to work now.

So, March Goal 2.0 - Exercise at least twice a week. Walks and bike commutes don't count

Sweets - None

Vegan - Almost

Up with Alarm - Yuppers

Bike - Too cold in the morning

Workout - Done!

• Like 5

Following for anti-hibernation inspiration!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Week 0 - Wednesday

I ate a normal lunch yesterday and holy hell I wanted to eat everything for the rest of the day. I haven't really had evening cravings when I've skipped lunch. I've been very hungry when I get home from work, but I want food not snacks, and then I'm fine once I eat dinner. Was it because I ate lunch or because my body wanted to catch up from the deficit of the last week? No idea yet, but we're going to play with this a bit. If skipping lunch cures my want to snack and I'm feeling good then I might just stick with it long term. It is weird eating leftovers for breakfast so they don't get wasted, but I'm okay with being weird :D Overall food was good yesterday, I mostly avoided the snacking temptation and stayed away from sweets.

It was below freezing in the morning again and I was being whiny so I didn't bike to work again, which ended up being a good thing because I ended up running home at lunch to talk to a contractor.

Spoiler

We might be getting solar panels! They are actually a lot cheaper than I expected. We are really low electric users so the savings aren't huge and it makes the payback period ridiculous but it might still be worth it to my hippie heart. The only thing really holding me back (besides a second opinion that I should get this week) is that our roof is 12 years old and in not-bad-but-not-great shape and so we'd want to replace it first. I keep hoping for a hail storm so insurance will pay for it.

I ended up getting held at work over an hour late so I didn't end up getting a workout in. I finished up the tax returns I got this week since I'm picking up two more new clients by the weekend.

Spoiler

The amount of new clients I'm getting this year and how excited most of them seem to be at working with me makes me more comfortable with the idea of executing OEPD. Word of mouth is an amazing thing and I haven't really been asking for referrals, they're doing it on their own. Unfortunately if we're dropping loads of cash on a new roof and solar panels then it's going to push things back a bit. Luckily my job will be MUCH less crazy at this time next year (Big Deadline is a biennial thing) so maybe sticking around until my next bit of vesting in June instead of leaving in December would be manageable and worth it

Sweets - None

Vegan - Almost - I ate the last leftover biscuit from the weekend, everything else was vegan

Up with Alarm - Yuppers

Bike - Too cold in the morning

Workout - Nope

• Like 3

I hope the solar panel thing works out. As a non-hippie they still interest me for when I get a house. As Jay Leno says, even if you aren't doing it for the environment, wouldn't it feel good to say "Screw You" to the power company?

I still like the lessened environmental impact.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

36 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope the solar panel thing works out. As a non-hippie they still interest me for when I get a house

I get the impression that you're probably the type that would really like the self sufficiency part of it. Hubs is not a hippie either but he likes the technology of it. They're great and only getting better. I hope more people opt for solar panels for what ever reason is important for them

38 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As Jay Leno says, even if you aren't doing it for the environment, wouldn't it feel good to say "Screw You" to the power company?

Lol, I like that!

Unfortunately right now we have a gas furnace and water heater so I have a second utility I'd love to say "Screw you" to but that's more money out the door to replace not-new-but-not-old-still-functioning stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

I get the impression that you're probably the type that would really like the self sufficiency part of it. Hubs is not a hippie either but he likes the technology of it. They're great and only getting better. I hope more people opt for solar panels for what ever reason is important for them

Lol, I like that!

Unfortunately right now we have a gas furnace and water heater so I have a second utility I'd love to say "Screw you" to but that's more money out the door to replace not-new-but-not-old-still-functioning stuff.

I love me a gas furnace. I prefer it over electric, although if I had solar panels I would consider going all electric for better overall savings.

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I love me a gas furnace. I prefer it over electric, although if I had solar panels I would consider going all electric for better overall savings.

A lot of people prefer gas but between my dad working for the electric company growing up and being told that "Gas go boom" and having too many actual gas explosions close to home I'm really uneasy about it, even beyond the environmental impact

Spoiler

One coworker had a gas leak cause an explosion and she eventually died from the injuries after an agonizing year of being in the hospital. Her house had to be demolished because it was blown off it's foundation, I walk past the empty lot every day at lunch.

Another coworker had an fire when lightning hit his roof and ignited a gas line, luckily no injuries but extensive damage to the roof.

And when we were getting sprinklers installed at our old house the guy hit an unmarked but live gas line, no fire but my house got to be a spectacle when the fire trucks showed up because they had to be called

To be fair, I'm also uneasy about space heaters (regardless of energy source) and fireplaces for similar reasons

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Maigahane said:

"Gas go boom"

Yeah, where I grew up there was a gas explosion on our street. It blew the side of a 3 story brick house clean off and made it look like a life-size doll house. Quite amazing and incredibly scary all at once. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Here in Indianapolis, there was a couple who were trying to burn down their house for the insurance money, so they left a gas line open and arranged for a spark to happen when they weren't home.  So much gas had filled the house by the time it detonated, that it demolished every house around it in the neighborhood, and killed several people.  The couple and some of their friends are all in jail now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

2 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Here in Indianapolis, there was a couple who were trying to burn down their house for the insurance money, so they left a gas line open and arranged for a spark to happen when they weren't home.  So much gas had filled the house by the time it detonated, that it demolished every house around it in the neighborhood, and killed several people.  The couple and some of their friends are all in jail now.

This one has it's own Wiki page. I thought about this one when I was writing my post earlier but left it off since it was intentional. Two people died and it's absolutely amazing there weren't more. There's no pictures in the wiki page but I remember from when it happened and it was such a mess. They had to demo 33 houses due to the damage.

There's one that happened last year in my town that seems to have been either intentional or drug related but they still haven't released the cause. I think 2 other houses had to be demo'd and one owner died and last I heard his wife is still in the hospital

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah, where I grew up there was a gas explosion on our street. It blew the side of a 3 story brick house clean off and made it look like a life-size doll house. Quite amazing and incredibly scary all at once. 

Amazing and terrifying is right.

Week 0 - Thursday

Happier thoughts! I had a pretty good day. Got up with the alarm but was much more sluggish than usual. I actually laid down on the couch after trying to blearily stare at my phone for a bit. Didn't fall back asleep but wasn't upright.  Couldn't bike because I had an offsite meeting in the morning but HUBS RODE HIS BIKE TO WORK!! For the first time ever. He said he was dizzy when he got to work but fine after the ride home. I went back to skipping lunch (I need a better name for this...I hate saying I skipped lunch) and I had no desire to snack. Weird. I apparently need to do some reading on IF. I had to meet a client at an awkward time in the evening so I didn't get a workout in but I did take Floof for a walk before dinner.

And I took today off work! Unfortunately it's gloomy and sprinkling which is not helping my plans to run and/or ride my bike but I get the house to myself for a day. Some sort of workout will happen

Sweets - None

Vegan - Yuppers!

Up with Alarm - grudgingly up and at 'em

Bike - not bikable

Workout - Nope

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I went back to skipping lunch  adjusted to a more optimal meal timing strategy

FTFY

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill