[WhiteGhost] F* This Challenge!

WhiteGhost

1 minute ago, zenLara said:

Sorry to hear that. They're very expensive (at least here), and people complain all the time of them being uncomfortable. I've been short-sighted almost my whole life, I hope I don't get to that point :(

I've been lucky because I have not needed glasses my whole life.  However my vision has been slipping recently and I will need them soon, especially for trying to read things that are too close

• Sad 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I've been lucky because I have not needed glasses my whole life.  However my vision has been slipping recently and I will need them soon, especially for trying to read things that are too close

If you don't need them most of the time, reading glasses could help bridge the gap between "nothing" and "bifocals"

• Like 1

How old are you brother? You seem young for bifocals or readers.

I bet you have some eye strain from staring at a computer all day. Here you can get some readers with a light yellow tint and they help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

6 hours ago, sylph said:

If you don't need them most of the time, reading glasses could help bridge the gap between "nothing" and "bifocals"

Yeah, readers are probably the right way to go

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

How old are you brother? You seem young for bifocals or readers.

I bet you have some eye strain from staring at a computer all day. Here you can get some readers with a light yellow tint and they help a lot.

I will be 44 this summer.  I know that isn't super old, but I am the only one in my family except my mom that didn't need glasses in high school, and my mom had to get glasses when she was in her early 40s, so I would not be surprised if it is just my time based on hereditary genetics.  Eye strain from looking at computer/device screens all day is certainly a factor, though.

I did my update late yesterday, so not many more point to include since then

Fidgeting - I finally got my first fidgeting (mobility/parkour/tricking,etc.) session in this morning.  I got a lot of strange looks as I was doing this in the yard as most of the parents in the complex were sending their kids off to school (Ghostlet had early soccer so I was already back by then).  At one point I was working on macacos and I overhead a mother and her son (5th or 6th grade) as they walked by

Son: "I think that is probably the foreign equivalent of our kung fu"

Mom: "I don't care what it is, I don't want you copying him under any circumstances, it is just too dangerous!"

me: Image result for eye roll gif

I worked on bridges, handstands, handstand walks, cartwheels, roundoffs, front handsprings, macacos, kip ups (I finally got these!), wall spins and wall runups.  I also worked on cheat gainer and b twist progressions. They were really ugly but surprisingly fun :)   I also tried to do some back roll to handstand, bridge to handstand, and bridge kickovers but they were all complete failures.  All in all it was a really fun workout and I am really glad I did it :):):) 

Flexibility - did about 20 minutes of hip stretches before bed

Fuel - finished off the last of my caveman cookies this morning.  Since it is only a snack and not a full meal I only get 0.125 points

Fun - I had a couple of hours last night with Ghostlet , but all he wanted to do was play Minecraft, so I spent a couple of hours listening to him narrate his game to me.  Not my first choice on how to spend the evening, but I did it anyway because it think it is important to show interest in the things that are important to him.  0 points for this

Flirting - Date night tonight!!!

I am currently at 10.6 points for the week (53%) which is 47% for the challenge

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

16 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That makes sense. I thought you were in your lower 30s. 44 is about when I first got readers.

You’re pretty active and agile for an old guy ;)

Thanks!  I don't think I would be nearly as active if it wasn't for all the inspiration and support from all the nerds here.  You guys are the best! :) 

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I worked on bridges, handstands, handstand walks, cartwheels, roundoffs, front handsprings, macacos, kip ups (I finally got these!), wall spins and wall runups.  I also worked on cheat gainer and b twist progressions. They were really ugly but surprisingly fun :)   I also tried to do some back roll to handstand, bridge to handstand, and bridge kickovers but they were all complete failures.  All in all it was a really fun workout and I am really glad I did it :):):) 

Coooooool!

Bridge to handstand is a crazy hard press though!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

At one point I was working on macacos and I overhead a mother and her son (5th or 6th grade) as they walked by

Son: "I think that is probably the foreign equivalent of our kung fu"

Mom: "I don't care what it is, I don't want you copying him under any circumstances, it is just too dangerous!"

Are these macacos?

If so, they look amazing. It shows strength, flexibility, body awareness and control... Moms...

• Like 2

When I let go of what I am,

I become what I might be.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Coooooool!

Bridge to handstand is a crazy hard press though!

I am really, really glad you said that, because I have never seen a video on youtube of anyone struggling with one.  It always looks super easy and they just seem to fall into as if it was an accident.

20 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Are these macacos?

yes, but mine are no where near that fluid :D  

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am really, really glad you said that, because I have never seen a video on youtube of anyone struggling with one.  It always looks super easy and they just seem to fall into as if it was an accident.

Wait do you mean bridge to handstand or handstand to bridge? :) Bridge to handstand = basic but really hard contortion trick, handstand to bridge = pretty easy, at least if you have a solid bridge, can control your handstand for at least a few seconds and do it from a split HS. This is a skill where flexibility makes life so much easier!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

Wait do you mean bridge to handstand or handstand to bridge? :) Bridge to handstand = basic but really hard contortion trick, handstand to bridge = pretty easy, at least if you have a solid bridge, can control your handstand for at least a few seconds and do it from a split HS. This is a skill where flexibility makes life so much easier!

Bridge to handstand. Handstand to bridge I could probably handle (in fact, I will try that next time to see) :)

Level 2 Ninja

Just now, WhiteGhost said:

Bridge to handstand. Handstand to bridge I could probably handle (in fact, I will try that next time to see) :)

Ok I don't think I've ever seen a video of anyone accidentally fall into it, I've only seen strict presses in contortion or handbalancing videos. But I guess it's similar to a normal press to handstand - the people that can do it make it look super easy and just float up but to get there takes a lot of practice and strength. Bridge press to handstand is much harder than a normal press though.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ok I don't think I've ever seen a video of anyone accidentally fall into it, I've only seen strict presses in contortion or handbalancing videos. But I guess it's similar to a normal press to handstand - the people that can do it make it look super easy and just float up but to get there takes a lot of practice and strength. Bridge press to handstand is much harder than a normal press though.

Yes, I was exaggerating juuust a bit there, but the point was that videos make it seem super simple, like it is just a matter of lifting your legs (similar to getting back to a standing position from a front fold). Given how easy the vids make it look, I was not expecting it to be as hard as I found it.  Hence I really appreciated your validation that it wasn't just me :)

Also, just for clarity: I was talking about the kind where you kick up into it one leg at a time (like kicking up normally but backwards) but starting from the bridge position (am I even making sense?)

Level 2 Ninja

Oh ok, I thought you meant pressing with both legs at the same time. Kicking with one leg first would make it much less strength intensive. I imagine it's still quite tricky to catch the handstand, but again it depends so much on flexibility. The more vertical you can get your leg in your bridge and the more you can shift your shoulders behind the hands the less momentum you need to get over which makes the skill quite a bit easier. If you don't have that flexibility it will be much harder to control.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh ok, I thought you meant pressing with both legs at the same time. Kicking with one leg first would make it much less strength intensive. I imagine it's still quite tricky to catch the handstand, but again it depends so much on flexibility. The more vertical you can get your leg in your bridge and the more you can shift your shoulders behind the hands the less momentum you need to get over which makes the skill quite a bit easier. If you don't have that flexibility it will be much harder to control.

I also thought this and was like "WOAH"

I love the mother warning her kid not to try your tricks. :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I am not focused on getting into a handstand yet, I would be happy with just a kickover.  I am pretty sure my biggest problem here is flexibility, though.  I can get into a bridge, but I can't seem to get any power out of my legs, so I think the angle is the problem.  I feel like it is as hard as trying to kick up into a handstand from a pushup position.  I think I am going to have get a tighter bridge before I can do these.

9 hours ago, raptron said:

I also thought this and was like "WOAH"

I love the mother warning her kid not to try your tricks. :D

haha, yeah, that would be waaaaaaay beyond by current capabilities :D 

Well, date not last night did not go as planned.  The plan was to meet Mi Vieja after work, and head to the hair salon for her to get a haircut, then have dinner, and finish up watching Ready Player 1, which just came out here.  The haircut ended up taking about 5 hours, so neither dinner nor the movie happened and we ended up getting out of the salon well after midnight

Fitness - Nothing yet but I will probably do something today.  Maybe a run or maybe some mobility, at this point I have no idea but something will definitely happen

Fruit - I had an orange after lunch yesterday

Files - Recorded everything in MFP

Flirting - Less than successful date night.  I will give myself half points here and then get the rest of the points when we go watch the movie

This week behind the power curve, mostly because I have not been eating home cooked meals, which is one of my biggest point sources.  Currently sitting at 13.3 points for the week (67%) putting me at exactly 50% of my total challenge goal

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

The haircut ended up taking about 5 hours, so neither dinner nor the movie happened and we ended up getting out of the salon well after midnight

How does a haircut take 5 hours???

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ba'sini'on said:

How does a haircut take 5 hours???

It was really more than just a cut, more of a complete makeover for her hair.  Cut + perm + color + highlights = 5 hours.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Level 2 Ninja

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It was really more than just a cut, more of a complete makeover for her hair.  Cut + perm + color + highlights = 5 hours.   

Man, that's WAY to long for me to stay in one place. I bet her hair looks amazing though! It better after 5 hours of work :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 30/03/2018 at 12:50 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I will be 44 this summer.  I know that isn't super old, but I am the only one in my family except my mom that didn't need glasses in high school, and my mom had to get glasses when she was in her early 40s, so I would not be surprised if it is just my time based on hereditary genetics.  Eye strain from looking at computer/device screens all day is certainly a factor, though.

This is the same as me, also the only one in the family without glasses. I got reading glasses a year ago at 42, no one told me that it happens to everyone eventually. There's a lens in your eye that hardens as you get older, eventually it gets inflexible enough that the muscles just can't move it into the right position so you can't focus properly. Not much you can do about it.

I have limited my time somewhat on the computer and take more breaks, it's helped a lot. I don't wear them even though i got them, I only really need them for small text. Things like the ingredients on a small packet. I also increased the text size a bit on my kindle. 

I also didn't know how important glaucoma tests are, I hadn't been to the optician for about 25 years. You're supposed to get your eyes checked regularly once you hit your 40's. If you get glaucoma they can give you daily meds to stop it but if it's not picked up you can go blind from it and any damage is irreversible.

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

20 hours ago, Ba'sini'on said:

Man, that's WAY to long for me to stay in one place. I bet her hair looks amazing though! It better after 5 hours of work :lol:

Yeah, but it isn't really too far outside of the normal range for her hair appointments.  Normal sessions are usually about 3 hours (usually a cut + either a perm or coloring).  But yes, her hair does look amazing :) 

8 hours ago, Endor said:

This is the same as me, also the only one in the family without glasses. I got reading glasses a year ago at 42, no one told me that it happens to everyone eventually. There's a lens in your eye that hardens as you get older, eventually it gets inflexible enough that the muscles just can't move it into the right position so you can't focus properly. Not much you can do about it.

I have limited my time somewhat on the computer and take more breaks, it's helped a lot. I don't wear them even though i got them, I only really need them for small text. Things like the ingredients on a small packet. I also increased the text size a bit on my kindle. 

I also didn't know how important glaucoma tests are, I hadn't been to the optician for about 25 years. You're supposed to get your eyes checked regularly once you hit your 40's. If you get glaucoma they can give you daily meds to stop it but if it's not picked up you can go blind from it and any damage is irreversible.

I would not have guessed we were so close in age.  You come across as much younger.  Thanks for the info, I knew it happened to everyone eventually but I didn't realize 40s were so common for it.  I have never even thought about glaucoma tests, I should probably look into that

7 hours ago, tei_ said:

Man, that makes me so sad that a parent would earn their kid off of playing with gymnastics tricks. I’m pretty sure dong cartwheels in parks is what childhood is supposed to be for? (Also adulthood! But y’know, traditionally.)

I know, right?  I think every adult would be well served to have more cartwheels in their life :D 

Yesterday as a big day challenge-wise for me, I pretty much doubled the points I had racked up during the first 5 days of the week

Fidgeting - I ended up playing around with mobility stuff both yesterday while Ghostlet was at soccer practice and then again today while he was at football practice.  I was really happy today when I finally got a crab->bridge progression.  I don't have the flexibility to do it with both hands on the ground, but for the first time ever I was able to do it by lifting off one hand and reaching over into a bridge.  Handstand->bridge (the opposite of what I was trying Friday) were also a failure.  I just didn't have the shoulder/arm support to keep myself up once my feet hit the ground.

Fuel - For lunch I made some Mexican beef based on this recipe from Nom Nom Paleo and paired it with some lemon pepper broccoli and it was delicious

Spoiler

gmTCFNw.jpg

Flirting & Fun - After soccer practice, the 3 of us went to dinner and then watched Ready Player One, which we all enjoyed.  Because Ghostlet was there I counted this as half credit for a date (I already counted half for the first attempt the night before) but full credit for fun with Ghostlet

Finances - I updated the bank card for Ghostlet (he renewed his passport and had to update his bank account with the new passport number) and I got my tithing all up to date at church today so 2 bonus points there

Flexibility - I did my stretching pretty late (after midnight) but I did get it in.  I also did a stretching session after my mobility stuff at football practice today

Fruit - I had an apple after my stretching session last night because I was hungry

Filing - Everything recorded into MFP yesterday

Saturday Morning I was at 67% but as of right now I am at 21.3 points (107%) making this my best week so far.  I still have a few points left to get today so it looks like this will turn into my best week of the challenge :) 

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

51 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

but it isn't really too far outside of the normal range for her hair appointments.  Normal sessions are usually about 3 hours

I think I've never spent so much time in a hairdresser :o (I'm pretty sure my hair has never been qualified as "amazing" :D)

55 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am at 21.3 points (107%) making this my best week so far.  I still have a few points left to get today so it looks like this will turn into my best week of the challenge :) 

Awesome.

When I let go of what I am,

I become what I might be.

59 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah, but it isn't really too far outside of the normal range for her hair appointments.  Normal sessions are usually about 3 hours (usually a cut + either a perm or coloring).  But yes, her hair does look amazing :) 

3 minutes ago, zenLara said:

I think I've never spent so much time in a hairdresser :o (I'm pretty sure my hair has never been qualified as "amazing" :D)

Me too, maybe this is where we're going wrong!? I want to see her amazing hair though, I have major hair envy already. 

Well done on the 107% that's pretty epic! 

• Like 1

It's the hyperman set

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

5 hours ago, zenLara said:

I suspect what exactly can be qualified as "amazing" is probably relative and depends on a person's particular taste.  In this particular case, though, the guy who did her hair is a pretty famous stylist who does the hair for a number of actresses and TV personalities so he has a reputation for amazing :) 

5 hours ago, deftona said:

Me too, maybe this is where we're going wrong!? I want to see her amazing hair though, I have major hair envy already. 

I would love to show you, but I suspect you can sympathize with her reluctance for me to plaster her face online, and the hair without an accompanying face is much less impressive...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Level 2 Ninja