• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shotokan

Shotokan trains in the moment

I learn something new with each challenge and I want absorb what is useful and discard what is not.  I think Bruce Lee said that an it worked pretty well for him so why not follow in his footsteps but create a path of my own.  That's a Zen riddle if I ever heard one.  During the last challenge, my knee thought it would be fun to derail my carefully planned workouts and made me spend a bit more time in my chair than I should have but it was still a lesson.  With that in mind, I will train in the moment this time around, doing what can be done with the tools I have to work with.

h05DF9F02

1.  Beach body workout - 12  times 

I am finding some interesting mobility workouts in the Beach Body programs.  With Yoga, Pilates and some other decent movements, I think it will help make these hips work even better.

2.  Karate training - 50 focused competition katas and 300 side thrust kicks

I am still planning on a return to competition but I need to focus on my kicks and katas again if I plan on stepping back on the tatami.  The katas are feeling pretty good overall and the kicks are still improving so it's a good time to do more of them.

3. Quick mobility drills - 16 times

I have found a handful of quick mobility and flexibility drills that are helping my knee, my hips and lower back.  They take between 5 to 10 minutes and they feel really good.

Extra credit: 6 blog posts

Using the momentum that I gained over the last challenge getting all four blog posts, it's time to raise the bar and shoot for 6 over the next four weeks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

I'm not sure, if you mentioned it before. What's your blog about?

I have a handful of blogs about various topics but my favorites, that are updated somewhat regularly are my Shotokan and Fitness blogs.  The link below shows most of my blogs minus a few that I haven't touched in a very long time.

http://www.dougswebsites.com/ 

• Like 1

Yesterdays workout was a good Karate class with lots of kicks and kata work which leads right into my challenge.  My legs are barking today and my knee isn't too happy but it's not too bad either after a hard class.

Today's workout was a Beach Body stretching workout which I really didn't care for but I did it anyway.  There are other workouts that I have done that were much better but this one was at least something.  I finished up with the back fix drills and some kata.  Not a super hard workout but a workout at least.

• Like 1

Eh. Stretching is kind of a hit and miss thing. I tend toward taking what I can get from whatever stretching routines are most useful; right now, that means a lot of GB's desk routines because I sit so much now.

Also! I will have to give those blogs a read at some point. Cool!

• Like 1

Today was a good, short workout day.  I try to get in at least 20 minutes whenever I workout but if I am only getting in that short time, I try to make the most of it.  

I started with one of those quick mobility drills for my lower back.  It only takes about five minutes but it makes my back and hips feel pretty good.  After that, since there is a kettlebell challenge in the works, cough cough, I wanted to see how my swings feel.  The were simply marvelous.  Even though I haven't done them in a few weeks, I grabbed the 45 pounder and knocked out 2 sets of 12 reps along with some side thrust kicks in between.  I was a bit concerned that my form might have fallen off but even the first rep felt like it was in the grove and the 45 pounder felt pretty light.  After that came some kata and my hips were working pretty well. 

I have been spending a little more time on the foam roller to try and get my knee feeling better and it does seem to help.  I have a what feels like a softball on my left glute and I am almost certain that it is causing the issues with my knee and hip.  

• Like 2

Today was kata day.  Only five total but they felt decent overall.  I did them with no warm up so they improved as I did them.  Sometimes simple is good and today's was simple.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 7:06 PM, Teirin said:

Which Beach Bodies programs are you working with?

I have been doing the Autumn Calabrese workouts, specifically the yoga and Pilates workouts.  I am not doing the 21 or 80 days workouts, I am pulling the workouts I like from those groups.  I also did one of her lower body workouts and it was brutal for me.  The lower body workout was the hardest.  All the exercises were 20 full reps, then 20 small pulsing reps with less a range of motion and then a 30 second hold at the end.  The nice thing about the online workouts is you can pick from all the different workouts with about a dozen different trainers.  I want to watch some other workouts to see if I would like them but there isn't enough time in the day.

• Like 1

Day one:

Getting home from work at 9 wasn't going to stop me from working out today and it didn't.

The quick mobility drill started it.  I have been doing a simple back mobility workout from Rick Kaselj that seems to be helping my tight lower back.

After that came 2 sets kettlebell swings with the 45 lb for 15 reps.  Next, 10 side thrust kicks with each leg and four competition katas.

The knee is still a little sore but it didn't slow me down today.

Progress:

Karate training - kicks 20/300 and katas 4/60

Quick mobility drills - 1/16

• Like 2

Day 2:

Today was Karate class day and it was mostly kicks.  We must have did close to 100 side thrust kicks but those aren't counting against my numbers since my form wasn't what I wanted it to be.  I did get to do four katas and those counted.

Karate training - kicks 20/300 and katas 8/60

• Like 3

Day 3: No workout yesterday because of sore legs and a visit to my chiropractor.  My neck made such a massive crack when he adjusted it and my hips felt pretty good.  Just a single no competition kata.

Day 4:  My hamstrings and adductors were really sore today but that didn't stop me.  I was able to get in 4 sets of kettlebell swings with the 45, 30 side thrust kicks, one competition kata and a bunch of band work for my hips.  I'm counting the band work toward my mobility drills since that's pretty much what they were.  

Karate training - kicks 50/300 and katas 9/60

Quick mobility drills - 2/16

• Like 1

Day 5:

Today was a good workout day.  The Beach Body Pilates workout started it out.  It's 30 minutes of mobility and stretching movements that make my hips really mobile.  After that came 2 sets of 15 kettlebell swings, followed up with three katas.  Even though I didn't start working out until 11 pm once I started I couldn't stop.  I almost forgot, 10 side thrust kicks too.

Beach Body workout - 1/12

Karate training - kicks 60/300 and katas 13/60

Quick mobility drills - 2/16

•  
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Kishi said:

Nice! Go ahead and get your swings posted in the Mini-challenge! We got a boss to bring down!

Just did it!  288 points against that evil dragon so far.

• Like 2

Day 6:  I didn't do a full workout but I did help someone else with their Karate training for about 90 minutes.  Nothing that counts toward my goals but it is something that I truly enjoy.

Day 7:  Why don't all workouts go like this all the time?  I started out with some foam rolling and specific internal hip rotation movements.  I know that if I can improve the internal rotation of my hips, my kicks will will improve more.  It's just another discovery on the long journey searching for better side thrust kicks.  After that, the workout kicked into high gear.

Kettlebell swings - 15 with the 45 lb

Lying single front leg raise - 10 each leg

Side thrust kick - 5 each leg

Lying side leg raises - 10 each leg

Donkey kicks - 10 each leg

Band glute bridge - 10

Swissball squeeze - 10

Side band abduction - 10 each leg

Lying banded knee raise  - 10 each leg

Standing cable abduction to the back - 10 each leg

2 competition katas and some more foam rolling finished it up.  The second kata that I did felt incredible.  I haven't felt a kata that strong in a very long time.  I am not sure how it looked but it felt awesome. 

Karate training - kicks 130/300 and katas 15/60

Quick mobility drills - 3/16

• Like 2

Day 8:  Today was an abbreviated version of yesterdays workout.   Not as hard as yesterday but plenty hard after 11+ hours at work today.

It started with the internal hip rotation mobility drills which included some foam roller work.

Lying band front knee raise - 15 each leg

Standing band side leg raises - 15 each leg with the band above the knees

Band back leg raises - 15 each leg

Band glute bridge - 15

Only one kata tonight but it felt pretty good.  

Karate training - kicks 170/300 and katas 16/60

Quick mobility drills - 4/16

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shotokan said:

Only one kata tonight but it felt pretty good.

I mean, it's all about that High Quality Life, yeah?

• Like 1

Day 9:  Karate class day, last class of the session.

Today was a good training day but most Karate classes usually are good training days for me.  Class had a lot kicks and some kata which just happens to be part of my goals for this challenge.  60 Side thrust kicks and three solid katas toward my goals helps along with some other really good training.

Karate training - kicks 230/300 and katas 19/60

• Like 2

Day 10:

Beach body Yoga was the main workout today.  It's not terribly hard but there are some poses that a still a little beyond my reach.  It isn't as hip focused as I would like but it does seem to help overall.  

After that came 2 sets of 15 kettlebell swings along with 5 side thrust kicks with each leg.  Some non competition kata along with the foam roller ended the workout for today.

Beach Body workout - 2/12

Karate training - kicks 240/300 

• Like 1