• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shotokan

Shotokan trains in the moment

Day 11:

I am changing my challenge a little by adding other mobility workouts to the Beach Body goal.  I like the BB routines but I need a little extra focus on my hips so I am going to choose between the BB and my other mobility routines that I have done in the past.

Today was some time with Pavel making my joints super.  I also did the quick mobility drills, 5 side thrust kicks on each leg and two really good katas.  They are coming along nicely and they feel better than before.  I am adding more power and my form is staying clean.

Beach Body / Mobility - 3/12

Karate Training - kicks 250/300 katas - 21/60

Quick mobility drills - 5/16

• Like 2

Day 12:

Too tired to train but had to do something.  I did a quick mobility drill for anterior pelvic tilt, which is similar to what I do in my other workouts but with a few extra movements.  Then came four low power katas.  I did the three katas that I plan on using when I compete and one additional in case I need a higher level kata when I make it to finals.  Not the longest workout but a good one non the less.

Karate Training - kicks 250/300 katas - 25/60

Quick mobility drills - 6/16

• Like 1

No workout on Day 13 because I had to go back to work at 7 pm and didn't get home until 11.  I did do a kata and ended up getting almost 13,500 steps but it wasn't what I planned.

Day 14:

Today's workout was good even though I was really lazy and tired.

I started with the quick mobility drill doing some foam roller and others mobility drills.  Next came some kettlebells and kicks.  I added some barbell bent rows to the mix because I don't feel that I am getting enough back work.  

Kettlebell swings - 20 with the 45 lb

Lying band front knee raise - 15 each leg

Bent over barbell row - 45 x 12

Side thrust kick - 5 each leg

Kettlebell swings - 20 with the 45 lb

Standing band side leg raises - 15 each leg with the band above the knees

Kettlebell swings - 20 with the 45 lb

Band back leg raises - 15 each leg

Kettlebell swings - 20 with the 45 lb

Band glute bridge - 15

Two katas finished up today's workout.  I need to catch up on my blog since I am still 0/4 so that will hopefully finish out the day.

Karate Training - kicks 290/300 katas - 27/60

Quick mobility drills - 7/16

• Like 2

Looks like those kicks are coming along rather nicely, though. And if you're shooting out and generating clean power, well, it can only help.

• Like 1

Day 15:

A long day at work and some work from home kept me from a full workout but I did get in some good katas.  I finally felt the contract / relax in my movements that I have been working on for years.  I was able to do a strong technique and then relax right after the finish.   I had so much fun, I did six competition katas and a few fundamental katas.

Karate Training - kicks 290/300 katas - 33/60

Quick mobility drills - 7/16

• Like 2

Day 16:  Only a couple of katas.  Too tired and too late for anything more.

Day 17:  Still tired and late with another 11:30 workout after 13 hours at work but the workout went better than expected.

Some quick mobility work followed by:

20 kettlebell swings

5 side thrust kicks with each leg

20 kettlebell swings

20 kettlebell swings

Finished it with some seated knee raises and two katas.

Day 18: Even more tired, only 11 and a half hours at work and didn't feel like doing anything but I really need to workout to keep my sanity. 

Some band work started out the mobility part and it really got my hips warmed up well.  I always used to say that band work was useless but after the time I have been working with them, I am a believer in how hard of a lower body workout I can get using them.  After that came some quick kettlebell work with some kicks:

25 kettlebell swings

25 kettlebell swings

25 kettlebell swings

Finished up with two good katas and now time to look at the inside of my eyelids. 

Karate Training - kicks 310/300 katas - 37/60

Quick mobility drills - 8/16

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shotokan said:

Some band work started out the mobility part and it really got my hips warmed up well.  I always used to say that band work was useless but after the time I have been working with them, I am a believer in how hard of a lower body workout I can get using them.

Without meaning to be salacious about it, having seen the legs of some of the women who use bands, I gotta admit: there's probably some utility to them things.

Anyway, I find your consistency in training to be commendable, especially given how long you have to work. It's insane, man.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 8:13 AM, Teirin said:

"Only"

It didn't get any better yesterday.  I ended up getting home after midnight and back there again today for another 9 hours but there will be some form of workout tonight. 

• Sad 2

Day 20:  Today's workout went pretty well even though I was tired again.  

I started with two circuits of the band drills.  Next came the kettlebells and kicks.  

25 kettlebell swings with the 45 lb

10 lettlebell deadlifts with the 60lb

12 Seated knee raises

25 kettlebell swings

10 kettlebell deadlifts

12 seated knee raises

I needed a little upper body work so two quick short complexes worked well.  All done with the 45 lb barbell and 10 reps for each set.

Barbell Bent over row 

Barbell press

Barbell curl

Two katas finished it up.

• Like 1

Day 21:  

Back at work today but only for 6 hours.  Today's workout was a good one.  Some good kata training, kettlebells and kicks.

The band drills started it out.  I had to move up the stronger band yesterday and even that felt a little light today.  After that started the kata and kettlebell training:

Kata

Kettlebell swing for 15 reps

Kata

Kata

Kata

Kata

Kata

10 side thrust kicks with each leg

Karate Training - kicks 340/300 katas -  45/60

Quick mobility drills - 10/16

• Like 1

Today was all mobility work.  It started with the quick band drills and moved into 30 minutes of mobility work on my hips and lower back.  Something is going on with my left leg and I think it's something to with my foot.  Some non competition kata followed it but either way, it was a good workout. 

Beach Body / Mobility - 4/12

Karate Training - kicks 340/300 katas -  45/60

Quick mobility drills - 11/16

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shotokan said:

Something is going on with my left leg and I think it's something to with my foot. 

It wouldn't surprise me. All the shifting we do is like begging for a RSI. Does it respond well to stretching?

On 4/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, Kishi said:

It wouldn't surprise me. All the shifting we do is like begging for a RSI. Does it respond well to stretching?

The stretching doesn't really help.  If anything, it was making it a little worse.  I went to my chiropractor today and he done some work on my left calf, quad and hips and it felt pretty good all day.  It is a little sore tonight but not too bad.  That weird part is, the bottom of my foot cramped last night after class and it hard ever does.  I think that I might have to spend some time standing on the tennis ball.

Day 23: Yesterday was the first day of the new Karate session.  I didn't think it was going to go too well because my knee was sore, my foot was sore, my mind was spent because of work and the dojo was very cold.  Oddly, after a few minutes of training, the pain was almost gone, after about 30 minutes it was totally gone and class went really well.  The basics and kata we worked on felt awesome and all the kata I have been doing has finally paid off.  I did one of my competitions katas twice and another kata that I haven't competed with in years and all of them felt excellent.  All the kettlebell is paying off too.  I could feel my hips leading my techniques and my mind was on autopilot.  I think my next challenge is going to be more of the same as this one because it is really working.  I even threw a slow motion side thrust kick before class, totally cold, and my Sensei said it looked good.  I need more classes like these.

Today is going to be a day of rest.  Since my chiropractor worked on me this morning, I don't want to knock anything out of place, since I feel pretty good so a kata or two will be the extent of today's workout.

Karate Training - kicks 340/300 katas -  47/60

Quick mobility drills - 11/16

• Like 2

Day 25 and 26 didn't go too well with a late days at work but a couple katas still managed to happen.

Day 27 was a better with the mobility drills, some 2 sets of 20 kettlebell swings and 20 side thrust kicks along with two katas.

Day 28 was much better.  The mobility drills with the bands started it out.  Next came kettlebells and katas.

2 katas

15 kettlebell swings with the 45

2 katas

15 kettlebell swings with the 45

2 katas

10 kettlebell swings with the 60

2 katas

10 kettlebell swings with the 60

2 katas

20 kettlebell swings with the 45

2 katas

20 kettlebell swings with the 45

Doing the sets with the 60 lb kettlebell was a side goal that I had this time.  I wanted to be able to use it before the end of the challenge and even though it felt a little heavy, it wasn't as heavy and I thought it would be.

The challenge didn't turn out too bad.  I was more consistent than the last few even though I didn't get in everything I wanted, I worked out more this last month than I did in a while.  The one thing that didn't go as planned was the blog posts but workout wise, I learned some new things and have a little more focus on what I need to improve.

Karate Training - kicks 340/300 katas -  61/60

Quick mobility drills - 13/16

• Like 2

Hey, way to break out the 60! That's awesome. You'll find it gets light before you know it.

And, yeah. It looks like things wound up for you really well. I guess the Beach Body/Mobility work didn't quite manage to be interesting enough, but lots of kata and kettlebell? Hell yeah.

Now, you and me, we gotta get to work on our writing.

• Like 1