• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

(It's been forever since I did a themed challenge, but I always had fun writing them, and the story aspect gave me an extra motivation to get things to go in the right direction. So, here goes nothin')

NightWatcher woke up and looked around. The area seemed quiet, which was strange - the last thing she remembered was a loud clatter, a screaming hollow, and a sudden dull pain in her chest. She glanced over at the fire, then down at the mark branded into her skin, and groaned as the memories flooded her mind - the undead asylum, the flight, and the warning that if she didn't restore her humanity, she would eventually lose her mind. Looking at her shriveling hands, she pulled a soul from her inventory and inhaled as life flooded her limbs again. Slowly, NightWatcher pulled her feet back under herself and forced her body back to standing. Weary, but not done, she started from the fire to find the last place she had died, and reclaim what she had lost there.

58ed3f6c4c2b6a2c02a82de10718c58505212937

This challenge is basically the same as the last one, structurally speaking - in large part because I wound up getting bronchitis early on in the last one and not getting as much done as I'd wanted last time. I still have a bit of a cough, but hopefully when I go in for my follow up appointment on Wednesday the doc will be able to get a better idea as to why I'm still coughing and I can kick this stupid thing to the curb. For now, while trying to get some extra rest in, I'm also going to try to get my next steps on this goal done. And for anyone who hasn't played Dark Souls, the entire premise of the game is try, try again. And again. And again...

Main Quest: Grasping the sword (getting up and fighting back against my mental and physical issues - when I set this for the year, I didn't expect it to be **quite** this on the nose)

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAgmAAAAJDRlNDk0ZWRjLWMxOTkt

Sidequest 1 - Rekindling the Flames (exercise) : Daily yoga practice; I have my practices scheduled at 11am, but due to my bizarre schedule and the fact that I've been sleeping extra due to illness I've wound up doing them after work at 12:30/1am a lot of the time. The tracking aspect of this is just getting the yoga in for now, with a possible bonus point if I get a run in - for now, runs are 100% a bonus though, the yoga is the main goal.

Tracking - 1 point/session of yoga, aiming for 7 points/week.

1 bonus/grace point for a run

maxresdefault.jpg

Sidequest 2 -  Fighting off the Hollows (food tracking) : Working on slowly getting some of the extra weight I've gained back off - which at least for now, means tracking calories so I can get enough of a deficit to be losing weight, while making sure I'm eating enough and also gives me a record to look back on and see both good and bad habits.

Tracking - 1 point/day of food tracking

2 points for getting food prepared ahead for the week for work

-1 point for each weekday trip through a drive through 

Aiming for 7 points/week

Dark-Souls-Header.jpg

Sidequest 3 - Linking the Fires(community) : No one succeeds completely alone, and we all need to spend time around bonfires swapping stories with the other folks around. Both for my own accountability and to help others in this community, I want to make sure I'm getting out in there and encouraging others <3 so I want to make sure I comment on at least 10 threads per week besides my own. I think I'm actually going to try to schedule specific time for this, since otherwise I tend to slip into "I'll-do-it-later"-itis.

Tracking - 1 point/thread,  aiming for 10/week

maxresdefault.jpg

Lifequest - Know your Armory (organization) : going through the game and getting all the shiny new armors (or 50 broken swords and about 20 copies of Baldor knight shields... tomato, tomahto)is all well and good, but it's not super useful unless you know which weapon will deal enough damage to that annoying knight in the way, or which suit of armor will protect you from the fire that witch casts & let you roll out of the way before you die. Again. All that random flavor text to say I need to organize my house & schedule a bit better. Since this is week 0, I'm going for schedule this week, then more physical organization starting on week 1.

Tracking - This isn't a scaled thing; either the thing I pick at the beginning of the week gets done, or it doesn't. This one is tracked out of 5 points.

Point scale - 29+ points: A+ - estus flask boost

25-28 points: A- - not terrible, but could be better. At least you're still human though.

20-24 points: B  - ok, we need to work on this a bit, you're starting to go hollow.

15-20 points: C - are you alright? You're starting to look a bit... Vacant. Here, have a soul, you kinda need it.

>15 points: OK, I need to step back and look and see if there are some factors I need to reign in in my environment or schedule. This is not how progress is made

I'm also going to try to update this at least every other day, if not daily, so feel free to poke me with a stick if I go too quiet without giving some form of reason beforehand

• Like 1

Sneaking beyond the bodies she'd left lying on the steps behind her, NightWatcher hoped that that... thing, whatever it was, wouldn't come out at her again before she did what she needed to do. Taking a deep breath before stepping through the fog, she steadied herself, sheathed her sword, and got ready to bolt. As she cleared the gate, she saw it ahead of her once again on the bridge - and just in front of it, a bloodstain. It drew her, and she knew it held what she was after. As the large beast lowered its head and charged at her, NightWatcher screamed and charged back at it - running without armor or weapon towards a foe she knew she couldn't defeat as she was now. It drew its great weapon back to swing, and that's when she dropped to her knees to slide past him - the great axe swinging inches over her head. She skidded over to the blood, placed one hand in it, and sank the other quickly into her inventory bag. As the creature turned and bellowed at her, raising its weapon again, she hoped this would work. She closed her eyes while the axe came down towards her, while her fist closed on the bone in her bag. When she opened her eyes, she was back again at the Firelink, and she could feel the humanity and souls she had reclaimed from her own bloodstain. 

latest?cb=20160701045917

She sighed, and sat at the fire to repair her things. She still needed to improve her weapons and armor, and for that she would need the blacksmith, but at least she could now repair her armor and weapons, giving herself the best shot at getting to him - and ultimately, giving her a chance to get rid of that thundering beast for good.

Yoga: I missed 2 days 'cause of stuff and things, but I did get 5/7 here

Food Tracking: I got 6/7 days tracked, I had -2 for drive thru usage, but I cancelled that out with food prep. 6/7

Community: I got to exactly 10 other threads last week 10/10

Organization: Routine is ready. A vacation is scheduled for me to work on getting resume work etc done. Bujo is set up for the next several weeks, with some spare pages for notes also at the ready. 5/5

WEEK TOTAL: 26 points, for an A-. Not a bad week, but plenty of space to improve :)

Edited by NightWatcher13
'cause that's what this spot was made for

Check in:

Yesterday 

Yoga: check

Tracking: check

Community: no

Organization: I got a layout started for a routine to start getting into, and some planning written down to start working on

Negatives - minus one point for using a drivethru

Today

Yoga: yes; thank you @peelout for your comment at the end of last challenge to always do at least a little, 'cause that was the thing that kept going through my head after work telling me "just do a little bit" - I literally just did the sun salutation flow warm up, but at least it's something

Tracking: check

Community: 2 

Organization: hehehe I mean, at least I updated my bujo for today and talked to some close friends at a meeting I had with them today about what I need to do, but my heads all frazzled today on account of no sleep last night. 

Negatives - minus one point for using a drivethru (on the plus side, it was Tropical Smoothie Cafe, but still a negative 'cause planning ahead failure)

So as I mentioned above - I did NOT sleep last night. I went to bed by 2:30, had lights out by 3... and couldn't sleep until well after the sun came up :/ part of it was the cough not shushing, but part of it just seemed like typical insomnia. I got some Nyquill after work, so after I post this I'm literally going to go take that, wash my face, brush my hair and go to bed, especially 'cause tonight also happened to be the one night every few weeks I have that I have to stay at work late due to a meeting I don't want to miss with some of my church's other members - so on top of sleeping approximately 2 hours between 8:30am and 11am, I worked until 1 am. So I'm definitely crashing a bit early tonight (it's 1:46am, I'm closing the computer now-ish, and the Nyquill should knock me out within 20 minutes 'cause my insomnia and cough, even combined, are no match for it)

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 8:50 AM, Xena said:

I like the theme! Get out of the undead asylum. The ranger tavern is much more fun.

On 3/14/2018 at 5:42 PM, Xena said:

Hope you got some good sleep! Great job fitting in a little yoga the other day.

I mean, not much isn't more fun than the undead asylum ;) But the tavern is a lot nicer... and has fewer demons walking around to bounce you back to your cell.

Finally got some decent sleep; I'm still tired, but doing better. Thanks!

On 3/14/2018 at 1:53 AM, Jose k Adams said:

Nice

On 3/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, MattSkywalker said:

Cool to see you in the ranger tavern, @NightWatcher13! Wishing you best of luck!

Thanks much, same to you Jedi. May the Force be with us all

Check-in:

Yesterday

Yoga - check

Food tracking - check

Community - 6

Organization - I had to migrate some stuff in my Bujo & got a cleaning checklist started

Extras/negatives - no negative points, add 2 points for getting food prepped for the rest of the week though - got a ton of chicken stir-fries made that should last me through the weekend :) so at least that negates the 2 negatives from drive thrus this week so far

Today (so far):

Yoga - will have to be done after work, I was dragging this morning :/

Food tracking - check so far

Community - none yet

Organization - none yet

Extras/negatives - none

I had my follow up doctor's appointment yesterday; she looked at me, listened, and wound up prescribing me 4 new meds, keeping up with the inhaler, and going to the hospital to get a chest x-ray... so yay? I think? I was planning to go get the x-ray today before work, but as I mentioned up above I was dragging this morning pretty badly, so that will have to happen either tomorrow or Saturday. Here's to hoping when I do, they can actually figure out what the crap is wrong with me

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

I had my follow up doctor's appointment yesterday; she looked at me, listened, and wound up prescribing me 4 new meds, keeping up with the inhaler, and going to the hospital to get a chest x-ray... so yay?

Wow, that's a lot!

Glad you are getting treatment.

• Like 1

Check in :
Last Thursday I did get my yoga in after work

Friday:
Yoga - no
Food tracking - check
Community - I'll have to look on my computer; Tapatalk is much trickier to figure this out on (currently my computer is attached to the TV cause I'm catching up on Critical Role from last week, don't judge me )
Organization - well, I did good on the planning side, not so good on the actually getting important things (besides work) done

Saturday:
Yoga - no
Food tracking - no
Community - no
Organization - well... I did lots of planning and working on stuff, buuuut it was mostly "CRAP D&D is today and my house is messy!!!"

Funnily enough, that's also why I missed yoga Friday... Not that I hadn't already overplanned for last game cause with sickness it'd been about a month and a half, but it was also a session I was super anxious about in part because of it being so long between this one and the last one, and the fact that I left everyone on a nasty cliffhanger and wanted to make sure I remembered all of my plots and plans so I didn't disappoint by forgetting my own schemes and plotpoints ^^;

Today (Sunday)
Yoga - check
Food tracking - check
Community - one I think?
Organization - Bujo is ready to go for the next few weeks, some ducks have been placed into a row, now I just need to work on the doing half of the equation... Which has been a little extra difficult the last few weeks, cause I've been dead tired :/ I can't wait for this stupid cough to be over

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

On 3/19/2018 at 2:35 AM, Xena said:

How did the gaming session go?

It went AWESOME! Though with the group in general doing so much tactical planning and one of the players having a headache from drinking ('cause St Patties Day, I think only 2 of us weren't drinking lol) I know a couple of them got impatient to get to the fight. But overall, everything went super well, they used the time they had before the fight super well to plan things out, and used their abilities and contacts to prep and plot a lot - so that even though the BBEG was a huge threat, they managed to corner her and use her weaknesses against her. So I was super happy with how the game went :) And then my plot twists I had planned out beforehand got picked up super well by the players, both in their planning and RP, so it was tons of fun. (BBEG had the family of one of the characters in a lifelink curse with her... so if she died they would too)

I'll update for Week 0 later up in the saved spot, but I'm super happy with how the week went overall :)

Check-in

Yesterday:

Yoga - no (I... um... built a bookshelf instead. Oops. At least one of the shelves is done lol)

Food tracking - check

Community - no

Organization - this week is going to be the living room. It's not my worst room, but it's where I tend to host everyone and also do a lot of my fun and work things - my yoga happens there, D&D, I keep my laptop out there, I knit out there... it's definitely the center of my home for me. As mentioned up in the yoga spot, I now have a new bookshelf out there, and will probably put the other one (I bought a set of 2) out there as well - that way I can keep my stuff closer to where I use it, while having it still organized and out of the way.

Today:

Yoga - not yet

Food tracking - so far

Community - not yet, planning to hop on at least 3 threads tonight though

Organization - not yet

***will edit this tonight or tomorrow to reflect what actually gets done tonight

I did go in yesterday to get that x-ray done, got to find out results today - it came back normal. I still have a bark, and I'm still tired, but it's not as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago at least.

***edit - yoga did get done, got to 2 threads, food tracking kept up with the whole day, didn't get to any organization though

Edited by NightWatcher13
to add details
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, MattSkywalker said:

Dang, sometime those 'regular' illnesses just don't go away easily. But I hope it will be over soon. Take care!

Yea, so far it looks like it's just a cough with chest congestion - just extra stubborn lol. 

On 3/18/2018 at 8:19 PM, Elastigirl said:

Hope the medicine and tests help you to feel better soon.

They definitely seem to at least do a bit, even if it's still here

Thanks all for the encouragement. Here's to hoping this stupid thing decides to give up and go away soon

• Like 2

Hey there...I did send the books a while back, but they were returned to sender. Maybe because I didn't know your name and tried to be cute (addressed them to "N. Watcher"...maybe the post office didn't get the joke). I'll send you a PM verifying the address when I'm back at work (the package is there and I want to look at what I actually wrote on the envelope).

How are things going?? Hope you are feeling ok.

• Like 1

Hey all! Will post update here shortly, but wanted to say I'm definitely alive! I just had my schedule jacked up last week, and have been pretty busy this week (I'm on vacation... Kinda? More like workation, I really should have taken an actual vacation first 'cause my brain mostly just wants to decompress from all the stressiness) but despite not getting week 1's update up, week 1 went well. I need to tally, but I think it got an A. Last week kinda got blown out of the water though ^^ kids were on spring break, so our work schedule was odd

• Like 2

On 3/27/2018 at 10:44 PM, Xena said:

How's this week been? I think I've inherited your lingering cough :-(

Nooooo :( it must be BANISHED from the realms. That sucker's nasty - I'm basically better now, but still have a bit of a lingering cough from it too

On 4/2/2018 at 9:51 PM, Xena said:

Hey there...I did send the books a while back, but they were returned to sender. Maybe because I didn't know your name and tried to be cute (addressed them to "N. Watcher"...maybe the post office didn't get the joke). I'll send you a PM verifying the address when I'm back at work (the package is there and I want to look at what I actually wrote on the envelope).

How are things going?? Hope you are feeling ok.

AAAAAAAHahahahaha that's fantastic! I entirely forgot my name isn't on here and you'd need that

On 3/28/2018 at 12:01 PM, Elastigirl said:

How is the cough? Hope you are on the mend now.

Much better now, thanks :) Finally got rid of most of it, just have a little bit of coughing that probably won't go all the way away for a while. Doc said she'd had something similar a couple of months ago and she's still got a lingering cough from it too. Thankfully no longer wanting to curl up and sleep for a week though

Ok, so check ins: (will do the editing up top later)

Week 1: looks like I got 6/7 yoga sessions

5/7 days food tracked

I don't see any thread activity besides mine :/

5/5 points for my livingroom getting done

Week 2: Work schedule flipped 'cause of spring break - which somehow translated to no yoga, only a couple of food tracking days, and I don't think I got around many threads. Failed week challenge-wise

Week 3: Work-vacation. I finally picked my yoga back up... on Saturday of last week. ^^ I got a lot of non-challenge things done; updated LinkedIn, worked on my resume, and got some direction on branching out my search for what I can do with a bachelors of science. Challenge-wise this week was a fail, and technically I should have had more than enough time to do everything on my challenge list, but I'm going to try not to feel bad about it because I was working on future improvements... I just need to work on my immediate goals again now.

*dusts off jacket* back to work this week - both my actual normal scheduled paying work, and my challenge. Wish me monsters!

On 4/9/2018 at 3:00 PM, NightWatcher13 said:

^^ I got a lot of non-challenge things done

Getting useful stuff done is always good!

I'm going to try not to feel bad about it because I was working on future improvements... I just need to work on my immediate goals again now.

Good thinking all around.

*dusts off jacket* back to work this week - both my actual normal scheduled paying work, and my challenge. Wish me monsters!

Uh...I wish you lots of monsters? Go get those monsters? Good luck with the monsters?

• Like 1