• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

This challenge will be a two part challenge for me.

One part of this challenge will be everything at home. The second part involves me traveling to New York City.

EqLzR4Y.gif

I am bowling in the USBC Open Championships on March 29th and 30th. This year, it is being held in Syracuse, NY. Having never been to New York, we are flying out a few days early. We fly red eye from San Jose, Ca on the 23rd, and come home on the 31st.

Challenge Part 1:

This will be for all the dates I am home. Actually trying to start during this off week.

Goal#1 - Keto, MFP tracking, and Intermittent fasting continues

Eating Keto has been working great for me so far. I want to keep tracking, and keep with IF. I believe my eating window will be Noon to 6 pm. 

Goal#2 - Get your sleep routine down

At the end of last challenge, I had started breaking my sleep cycle. So the goal is to get it back into shape before my trip, and after. This goal is to get me reading by 11 pm, and in bed at midnight.

Goal#3 - I need to exercise

Ok, I have been wishy washy with this all year.  I need to get walking, and I need to step up to something more as well. My goal is to get in 5 walks each week before my trip. Once I am home, I want to be able to kick it up. 3 workouts per week, plus continue the walking. I want to be able to do bigger things this year (5k for example) so I need to get this going.

Challenge Part 2:

There will be 4 big travel days during the challenge. The flight to NYC 23-24th (arrive at 6:30 am), the drive to Syracuse 28th (about 5 hours it looks like), and then the drive back to the city 30th after I bowl). Finally, the flight home 31st (arrive at 11 pm)

9ETvajW.gif

I will try to track those days, but I am giving myself forgiveness if I don't.

16yb9GP.gif

The real goal here is to have fun. The family and I have never been to NYC, so we are going to be tourists. Then, I hope to bowl well in the tournament. I will fall off the Keto wagon here. I could very much try to stay on Keto, but when will I get back out here to have all the New York experience. Like Pizza. I've come up with a few goals to not really restrict me, but hopefully help keep me mindful of what I am eating.

Goal#1 - Be the Tourist

We have The Statue of Liberty, Natural History Museum, 9/11 Memorial/Museum, and a bus tour to do while we are there. I'm also meeting up with a few gaming buddies. So no excuse not to take plenty of pictures. This should also give me plenty of reason to walk to places. (times square, central park, etc)

Goal#2 - Daily Food Journal

Now, I don't even want to try to have the night mare of tracking everything in MFP. So I think what I want here is to just have a journal with me, or spreadsheet. Then I can keep track of food I eat. Hopefully, this will help me to not just graze eat all the time. I know we will have snacks around, and I would rather not be constantly eating them.

Goal#3 - Sleep

I want to do my best to make sure I continue to get the rest I will need. I can't tell 100% what shall happen each night we are there, but I would like to not be staying up till 2 am playing WoW, then get up at 7 to start the day.

So this is my challenge. Survive New York, and come back to kick ass.

Grading while home:

Goal#1 - 7 days, 3 points per day. Tracking, under 20 net carbs, & Eating in my Noon to 6 pm window

Goal#2 - 7 days, 2 points per day. Reading no later then 11:10 pm. Headed to bed by 12:05 am.

Goal#3 - 5 walks per week, 1 point per walk each day. Once back from NYC, add in 3 points for workouts per week. 

Grading on Vacation:

8 days

Goal#1 - No grade here. Have fun!

Goal#2 - 1 point per day.

Goal#3 - 1 point per day.

I was going to have no grading while I am gone, but I want to try to have something to keep me wanting to do these while I am out there.

Measurements End of last challenge/Start of new challenge/Finish:

(taken March 12)

Weight - 335.4 lbs / 321.1 lbs = 14.3 lbs lost
Neck – 19.60 in / 19.29 in = 0.31 in lost
Chest – 52.95 in / 52.51 in = 0.43 in lost
Waist at belly button – 58.07 in / 56.73 in = 1.33 in lost
Bicep (L) – 17.00 in / 15.94 in = 1.06 in lost
Bicep (R) – 16.61 in / 15.94 in = 0.66 in lost
Forearm (L) – 13.50 in / 13.11 in = 0.39 in lost
Forearm (R) – 13.50 in / 12.99 in = 0.51 in lost
Thigh (L) – 28.58 in / 28.07 in = 0.51 in lost
Thigh (R) – 27.71 in / 27.00 in = 0.70 in lost

• Like 4

Right on Tateman! You not only have your goals plan out but plan B and C thought of!

Mindful eating is such a hard thing but it’s amazing how easy it is to eat something and not remember the taste or get to the bottom of the pop corn bowl and say “oops I ate it all”

Out of curiosity what are the practices your doing to become more mindful? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Butternut said:

Right on Tateman! You not only have your goals plan out but plan B and C thought of!

Mindful eating is such a hard thing but it’s amazing how easy it is to eat something and not remember the taste or get to the bottom of the pop corn bowl and say “oops I ate it all”

Out of curiosity what are the practices your doing to become more mindful? 

Well, I have been pretty good here at home. Because I track in MyFitnessPal, I weigh everything I eat. The only exception is if we get something from a restaurant. So I know pretty close to everything going on. The last challenge I didn't track anything while I was out of town, and ended up eating everything in site. This challenge my trip will be over a week, and since I know I will not eat keto the whole time, I am hoping that tracking in a food journal will prevent me from just eating everything around me. Like being able to see it might help me decide to not grab the candy or whatever snacks will be around. I was just going to bring a little notepad with me to write it all down, but I think I will create a spreadsheet instead. That way, I have access to it on my phone. Then I have no excuse to not enter it in :) I did consider taking pictures as well, but that seems like more of a pain to do that.

1 hour ago, shoobie said:

Love how you broke down your goals!!

*following*

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tateman said:

did consider taking pictures as well, but that seems like more of a pain to do that.

Theres a lot of studies out there that highly recommend that.

ive been thinking about it but like you said, it seems like a pain... but I think it maybe easier then writing everything down! Supposedly there’s apps out there for taking pictures of your food (BECAUSE THERES AN APP FOR EVERYTHING!)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Butternut said:

Theres a lot of studies out there that highly recommend that.

ive been thinking about it but like you said, it seems like a pain... but I think it maybe easier then writing everything down! Supposedly there’s apps out there for taking pictures of your food (BECAUSE THERES AN APP FOR EVERYTHING!)

Yeah, I might take a look at some apps, just to see what is out there :)

3 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Nice goals!
Love how you planned around your trip!
Good luck in the tournament already emoji14.png
(Better early than never)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll need all the luck I can get. 

This off week, I have been struggling on all things except eating. Sleep the last couple of nights have been rough. I need to get to bed before 2:30 am haha. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 4:53 AM, Tateman said:

have all the New York experience. Like Pizza

I'm from Rhode Island, which is about a 3 hour drive to NY and any NYer person I knew would rave about NY bagels and NY pizza.  When I checked out Times Square and got 3 slices of pizza (I mean, I wanted to try a few different ones) I ate it and I don't understand it.  It's like....regular basic pizza.  Good luck, man.

I'm assuming that the higher leagues all play like this:

Image result for fred flintstone bowling gif
  • Like 3

On 3/14/2018 at 5:57 PM, Butternut said:

Let me know what you find! I’d be interested 

I downloaded an app called Bitesnap yesterday. I think I will try it out this weekend to see how it works. It looks like I can take a picture of the food, and it can estimate numbers based off what it thinks it is in the image. You can also scan barcodes as well.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:57 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

Tateman

I think you have a few hurdles in your way with the trip this challenge, but I am sure you will do great. Following.

Oh yeah, hurdles for sure.:)

On 3/15/2018 at 1:16 PM, Teros said:

I'm from Rhode Island, which is about a 3 hour drive to NY and any NYer person I knew would rave about NY bagels and NY pizza.  When I checked out Times Square and got 3 slices of pizza (I mean, I wanted to try a few different ones) I ate it and I don't understand it.  It's like....regular basic pizza.  Good luck, man.

I'm assuming that the higher leagues all play like this:

Image result for fred flintstone bowling gif

Yeah, I told one of my friends there that I can't wait to have a slice, and tell them how much it sucks haha. So I'm not expecting anything that will blow my mind. It would be cool if it was, but we will see. 

And bowling is pretty much like that ;) with plenty of ball polishing 

SoJukgW.gif

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tateman said:

I downloaded an app called Bitesnap yesterday. I think I will try it out this weekend to see how it works. It looks like I can take a picture of the food, and it can estimate numbers based off what it thinks it is in the image. You can also scan barcodes as well.

Awesome! I’ll try it with you!

• Like 2

Sorry for the absence. Things have just been crazy trying to get it all ready for New York :)

I never did get measurements done, so I will just have to use the one from the end of last challenge.

I haven't gotten out on any walks. Things get so frantic, and it is the easiest thing for me to not do when I am in what feels like a time crunch. I got my bowling balls sent off to New York. I hope they meet me there in time for bowling haha.

I have been trying to keep active on my blog at least. Tateland.com So you can see some of the stuff I have been doing.

Goal#1 - I have been tracking in MFP, I have been fasting, and I am still eating all Keto.

03/19 - 1545 Calories, 17 net carbs

03/20 - 1398 Calories, 14 net carbs

03/21 - 1219 Calories, 11 net carbs

Goal#2 - Reading and getting to bed on time. Sunday night into Monday morning I did struggle. Not because I went to bed late, but because I had a weird dream, and jump scared myself awake. That was at like 3:30 am. I thought it was funny, and tried getting back to sleep, but the brain was not having it. My mind was racing. Thoughts about New York, and all the other stuff. I just laid there for like 3 hours until I went to on/off sleep until 8:30 am. It was horrible. the last two nights though have been excellent. :)

Goal#3 - No go so far. I'm sure not happening till after New York. I'm actually thinking of changing this from having to walk, to meeting my step goals. Yes, I have to walk to get the steps, but some days I am close without a walk. So maybe I can focus on being more active during the day, then have a nice little walk later or something. Will decide once I am back.

That's enough recap. Let's talk Pizza. Specifically Chicken Crust Pizza. I made some today :D

I took pictures of it all, and made a little tasting video on my Instagram. I pretty much followed what KetoConnect did, just had a few tweaks.

yklGQeBl.jpg

The Crust:
Tyson chunk canned chicken – 217g
Grated Parmesan Cheese – 29g
1 Large egg
Spices – bit of garlic powder, onion powered, and Italian seasoning

Toppings:
Mezzetta homemade Marinara – 70g
Lucerene Shredded Mozzarella – 45g
Hormel Pepperoni slices – 14 slices (Yes, I fit 14 slices of pepperoni on that little pizza)

My verdict:

I would so make this again, and will soon. Next time, I might try adding other toppings. Maybe make a combo type pizza. I wasn’t sure what to expect out of the crust. It was able to hold the toppings fine. It was more flexible when it was hot. As it cooled enough for me to eat, it was perfect. It even had a crunch to it.

So, if you are on the fence about making it, give it a try. I prefer this much more then a cauliflower crust.

So Friday night is take off day. I'll try to be better and get in some earlier posts. Even see if I can visit peoples threads too. I'm just really excited about going to New York!

• Like 3

I actually was wondering where you went. I thought you may of been in New York already.

I think focusing more on daily steps, at least at this point is okay. Sometimes its easier to walk laps of the house to hit that goal than go for a real walk (I did that last night).

Hopefully getting to New  York is uneventful if a little frantic trying to get it all sorted out

• Like 1

Well, figured I would pop in one more time before heading out. Shuttle is coming to pick up up in about 1 1/2 hours. Then it is off to the airport. Hopefully, I do ok these few days. I'm going to attempt to stop by each day. We shall see

:D

• Like 4

Well, figured I would pop in one more time before heading out. Shuttle is coming to pick up up in about 1 1/2 hours. Then it is off to the airport. Hopefully, I do ok these few days. I'm going to attempt to stop by each day. We shall see

Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Sorry, I hadn't been checking in. I have been having a blast though. I haven't been tracking everything. I started off doing fairly well tracking, but eventually, I stopped. 

I'm in Syracuse now. Had Team event yesterday. I struggled first game, but then moved, and was able to get it together. 130-214-216. I was really happy. Just wished I moved in the first game. 

Wednesday night, we ate at Dinosaur BBQ, and it was really good. 

JqWVVCcl.jpg

Chicken, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, cornbread, chili, mashed potatoes and gravy, and tomato and cucumber salad.  This was the family meal. I ate leftovers last night in the hotel room :)

I tried to get in all the sites in New York City. So much more to see. Hopefully, I can get back out to see more. I got a few selfies. Other shots from the camera will have to get posted later maybe ;)

Me with the Spaceshuttle Enterprise on board the Intrepid

NWnhdatl.jpg

Oh hey, it's the Statue of Liberty

sW70lvCl.jpg

And of course I have to get a shot with me and the City from the island

3MWX6SCl.jpg

Also saw the 9/11 museum, and the American Museum of Natural History. Plus a bus tour around the city.

Up earlier this morning. Doubles and singles today. 6 games to bowl total. We start at 11 am. Different oil pattern today, so hopefully I find my groove quickly. After I am done bowling, we are hitting the road back toward the city. Will stay near JFK tonight, and fly out tomorrow at 7pm. Should get home by 11 something PM on Saturday night.

• Like 3

I was just thinking this morning that I hadn't updated NF all week. I'm sorry.

On 4/6/2018 at 8:42 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

So how did the rest of the bowling go? Did you get home okay?

Bowling went ok. I had fun at least :) 

pano_20180328_170859.jpg

img_20180328_170612.jpg

We bowled at 11 am. I started off doubles pretty decent, but I wasn’t as accurate I was was in team even. The shot was very touchy, and the oil line burned up fairly quick. For my doubles event, I bowled 189, 170, 198 for a 557 series. I was pretty happy, and thought I had a good look going into the Singles event.

Man, was I wrong. 139, 136, 201 for a 476 series. I was all over the place trying to find something to work. Eventually, I did find a good shot, but a little too late.

I have a 1593 total for all events.

After I was done bowling, I shipped my bowling balls back home (Out for delivery today!), then we drove back to New York City. We stayed at a hotel near the airport. A bed to sleep in kinda place. Pretty crappy place, but it would do for a night. Next day, we were at the airport by 12:30 pm. Our flight wasn't leaving until 7:40 pm, so we had time to kill.

I walked around a bit, played some Pokemon GO, and just sat around playing games to pass the time. Eventually, we got on the plane. Now on the way here, I was excited to see that I did not need a seat belt extender. I worried that I might on the way back, but I did not need it coming home either :) 

The flight was long, and it was hot. Maybe because we were all getting sick, or something. Plane left around 7:40 pm from JFK, and we got into San Jose at 11:47 pm (2:47 am New York time) So a 7 hour flight. We were beat. We got the shuttle ride home, and all arrived safe and sound.

The next day, I decided I wanted to have one more "bad" day. I had some local place called King Eggroll. Monday would be my restart.

I weighed in on Monday, and I gained 12.4 lbs on vacation. Bringing me to 339.6 lbs. Actually not as bad as I thought I would be. Very similar amount of weight gain when I broke Keto earlier this year when I went down south.

Of course, we all pretty much ended up being sick when we got back. My sister-in-law was sick while we were there. She went to get checked, and they were surprised she was able to fly back home. Sinus infection, pneumonia, and double ear infection it seems. My wife also caught something. She is still sick. Sinus infection mostly, and a nasty cough. I also came down with a little bit of something, but it wasn't as severe, and only lasted a few days.

I'll get up a Summary for last week post here in a few :)

• Like 3

My first week home, and I didn't post here. I guess it doesn't seem that long, till suddenly it is. Well, this challenge isn't going to be a pass so much, but I will get through it all. Time for a recap.

While I was in New York, I did ok as far as my goals went. I took lots of pictures, and went and did the tourist stuff. Sleep wise I did ok too. I did have a couple of later nights, but really not bad. The tracking of food, not so great . It was ok for a few days. After that, I didn't really care haha.

Week 3:

WwFuatj.jpg

Well, I almost made it back to my before trip weigh this week. 11.8 lbs lost. Now, I say that it has some to do with me being sick when I got back. :) Still, it feels great to drop that much. I bet next week will be a stall week though. Usually seems how it is when you have that big loss from starting up Keto again. With losing almost all of my vacation weight, that brings me back to almost 40 lbs lost since the first. 39.8 lbs.

Goal#1 - Keto, MFP tracking, and Intermittent fasting continues

I had a couple of rough days. First with being sick, I took NyQuil one night. That has like 19 grams of carbs by itself. The last few days, I have been struggling hard with temptation foods being around. I almost felt ready to give in yesterday. I just need to keep pushing through it, until I am back to not having such strong cravings for the bad foods.

My Intermittent fasting has mostly been on track. There have been a couple of mornings that I ate early, and even one day I ate really late. I felt like it has been ok this week.

04/02 - 1598 Calories, 20 net carbs
04/03 - 1529 Calories, 9 net carbs (This night before bed, I had NyQuil)
04/04 - 1471 Calories, 10 net carbs
04/05 - 1626 Calories, 8 net carbs
04/06 - 1534 Calories, 16 net carbs
04/07 - 1639 Calories, 10 net carbs
04/08 - 1540 Calories, 10 net carbs

So I mostly did best here. I'm feeling better this week (was sick to start off), but IF has not been 100% perfect. I've actually been ok with that. I try to keep it close at least.

Goal#2 - Get your sleep routine down

Sleep has been all over the place this week. I've been letting myself stay up extremely way too late. Even last night, I stayed up to finally beat Pokemon Ultra Moon. This week, I really need to reel this back in, because I hate feeling so tired in the mornings, and it makes it much easier for me to say yes to doing nothing. Some nights, I have read, and some nights I haven't. One of the late nights was just because I decided I wanted to read a lot haha.

04/02 - 12:01 am to 7:28 am. 6 hrs 57 mins sleep. 16x awake for 30 mins total
04/03 - 12:58 am to 7:31 am. 6 hrs 11 mins sleep. 16x awake for 22 mins total
04/04 - 11:57 pm to 9:17 am. 8 hrs 33 mins sleep. 22x awake for 47 mins total
04/05 - 2:06 am to 8:57 am. 6 hrs 19 mins sleep. 24x awake for 32 mins total
04/06 - 1:21 am to 9:44 am. 7 hrs 49 mins sleep. 20x awake for 34 mins total
04/07 - 3:41 am to 8:06 am. 4 hrs 14 mins sleep. 7x awake for 11 mins total
04/08 - 1:42 am to 8:46 am. 6 hrs 34 mins sleep. 20x awake for 30 mins total.

Writing it all down, I can really see how I have jumped off rails of the sleep train.

Goal#3 - I need to exercise

HA! none done this week!

So I can't really get into my grading here. It is obviously not so good. Still, I am doing well with my food goals, and back to almost my weight that I was before the New York Trip.

• Like 2