Elastigirl/Shuri; Smiles, Strength and Sass

Elastigirl

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Love this!!! And what a great weekend. :) 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Oh what a beautiful weekend you had!   I love the story at the gym!  Go you!    There is nothing quite as awesome as ladies doing pull ups!  Bravo for showcasing your l33t skills there!!    I for one think you absolutely should add a small plate of weightlifting on the side.

I mean... Rangerbrain, yo!

Thanks. And yeah, I definetly need to do all the things!

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Rangers gonna Ranger!

Aww yeah, get some Ferro Therapy!

:) It does make me very happy to lift heavy stuff (well it wasn't that heavy, but in theory;))

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

And then this super strong gal who had been lifting weights said "wow you do that without bands!" And my friend boasted  about how I'd taught myself. I suddenly felt strong, and a bit of that I'm just an awkward clutz nerd feeling sort of disappeared. I felt- almost- like maybe I belonged there. 

That sounds like one great trip to the gym!!!

No maybe or almost. You do belong there. You are strong!!

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

56 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

That sounds like one great trip to the gym!!!

No maybe or almost. You do belong there. You are strong!!

Thanks. It's just hard to make myself believe that. For so much of my life, I was nowhere near strong or athletic, so I find it hard to believe different, but I am starting to think of myself as strong.

• Like 4

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Did my Ring workout yesterday. Yay rings! Push ups on rings are tough. Also did plank and mountain climbers (also tough) I used our indoor rings, which are lower and a bit more stable My quads are still super sore. Yesterday I had 16,00 steps. I did two walks, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening with . I. Plus gardening. This is the time of year where I am always overwhelmed by my yard. Seems like all the sudden there are weeds every where. And my allergies make it so I can only work on it for an hour or so, and yikes! Plus, I hate weeding. 

Today my quads are still sore. I did some bridge press ups and calf raises. Then I tried some goblet squats, but my legs were too sore. I did a bit of jump rope and called it good. I'll be spending more time gardening today. 

• Like 6

On 4/2/2018 at 9:00 PM, Elastigirl said:

it was 20#, and the trainer showed me how to deadlift. And I did it. Practiced a bunch.The weight was easy for me, but I wanted to feel the movement. Then we tried the 30 #. It was super fun.

Then my friend's daughter went over and picked up a 60# bar, and of course I had to try, and I did that too.

Oh my word! That is amazing! I have to pull up my socks or you are going to shoot past me! :loyal: Well done, EG. Wow!

On 4/2/2018 at 9:00 PM, Elastigirl said:

I don't like eating until I feel that way. But once I start eating sugar, I really have trouble putting the brakes on it. But I also don't do well with telling myself I can never have it either. Not really sure what the answer is.

We had the cinnamon/chelsea/chocolate/hot cross buns quartet here at home this weekend. I had one, maybe two a day, but almost every day Thursday to Sunday, so I know how you feel. I'm just saying this almost never happens, so I'm living and dealing with it. I know the repercussions of having gluten, and sweet things on top of that (weight up and also tummy problems), so that is enough of a "punishment" to keep me away from these things most of the time. And it becomes terribly expensive when I buy them regularly, then I don't have money for prizes or things I need/want to do, like hair cut, accessories, etc.

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

boy Elastigirl that is a Heck of a day of working out. congrats...

I love days like that; and I figure I NEED to give my body Alot so it can adapt to long periods of strain.  (like the A100)

but I always wonder too-- where is the line between healthy pushing and injury.  so GJ! but be careful

when you doing THAT much and (IF) your body is fatigued it would be easy to do something wrong and strain a muscle/ligament/tendon. 

out of curiousity; when your doing that Much do you take ibuprofen?  some athletes do- before things like races & marathons.

for myself; I've done it occasionally. I have fibromalysia and I know if I push my body I'll be under some genuine discomfort.  Ibuprofen helps.... (though as a disclaimer; I think it is hard on your stomach and liver)

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

out of curiousity; when your doing that Much do you take ibuprofen?  some athletes do- before things like races & marathons.

I would really not do that unless you *really* have to. Pain is a way for your body to tell you to back off and you should probably listen to it. Admittedly that's not always the case, pain is a bit weird, but the bigger issue is that taking pain killers before exercise will mask any niggles or even real injuries and potentially make them a lot worse. But that's for the general, healthy athlete, dealing with chronic pain is a completely different beast and you know a lot better than I do on what to do. :) 

• Like 3

actually a quick googling reveals that most experts are very much against this

my problem is that sometimes I have major discomfort (not pain) brought on  by intense exercise.  officially this is Fibromyalgia; but the medicine (Gabapentin) they gave me has a small and weak effect. I've tried other ones.   I don't think there is any good answer for this...

So its the old acronym RICE.   (Rice Ice Compression Elevation).

what do you guys all do for discomfort after a huge exercise day?  I'm aware of foam rolling; I've tried that. sometimes it helps.

I think after walking 100miles in 2 days; in the early summer I'm going to have a heck of a lot of discomfort to deal with...

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

what do you guys all do for discomfort after a huge exercise day?  I'm aware of foam rolling; I've tried that. sometimes it helps.

Mostly I suck it up. :P And move around as much as I can to get the blood flow going. If my muscles are spasming I sometimes apply liniment to help them relax. Basically the opposite of RICE. Personally I've never found ice or foam rolling helpful in aiding recovery.

I'm pretty sure walking 100 miles in 2 days isn't possible though, unless you don't sleep or rest and do it on flat terrain. ;)  

@Mad Hatter

actually yes. you do have two nightly naps

so REALLY it is a

25mile  (sleep)

50-60mile (sleep)

25-15mile

(does that help?  its Only a 60mile walk in one day MAX ;) )

the only way to do it without sleep is to RUN it, all in one day.

the particular 100mile endurance route has never been run.  but prolly 40-50 people over the 5 years the event has happened, have walked it.

(and NO  its not flat ground- hills; not mountains)

I know I need to limit the ibuprofen. the problem is- it works!  it truly makes the discomfort go away....

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

That's insane. And you should feel broken after that. :P 

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

I know I need to limit the ibuprofen. the problem is- it works!  it truly makes the discomfort go away....

Well think about this way, if you take ibuprofen you might feel less pain but it will also lead to less gainzzz. Inflammation is what triggers muscle repair and growth so take that away and you take away the signalling for recovery. Besides, discomfort is not a bad thing. :) If you're in agony that's a different story, but discomfort really is ok. And you have to be able to distinguish between suffering and being actually hurt, especially on such a taxing endeavour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heya EG! Just swinging by to say hello! I’m MIA for a bit, because I’m at school full-time and work full-time, so fitness has taken a bit of a backburner. I’m glad to see you still rocking it!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

12 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh my word! That is amazing! I have to pull up my socks or you are going to shoot past me! :loyal: Well done, EG. Wow!

We had the cinnamon/chelsea/chocolate/hot cross buns quartet here at home this weekend. I had one, maybe two a day, but almost every day Thursday to Sunday, so I know how you feel. I'm just saying this almost never happens, so I'm living and dealing with it. I know the repercussions of having gluten, and sweet things on top of that (weight up and also tummy problems), so that is enough of a "punishment" to keep me away from these things most of the time. And it becomes terribly expensive when I buy them regularly, then I don't have money for prizes or things I need/want to do, like hair cut, accessories, etc.

Thanks! I think you are right. I  rarely eat like that, and then when I do, and feel the effects, it is a good reminder of why it wasn't the norm.  

6 hours ago, TGP said:

boy Elastigirl that is a Heck of a day of working out. congrats...

I love days like that; and I figure I NEED to give my body Alot so it can adapt to long periods of strain.  (like the A100)

but I always wonder too-- where is the line between healthy pushing and injury.  so GJ! but be careful

when you doing THAT much and (IF) your body is fatigued it would be easy to do something wrong and strain a muscle/ligament/tendon. 

for myself; I've done it occasionally. I have fibromalysia and I know if I push my body I'll be under some genuine discomfort.  Ibuprofen helps.... (though as a disclaimer; I think it is hard on your stomach and liver)

Thanks. And , judging by my DOMS, I probably pushed it too much. Nothing injured, just really sore, finally feeling better today. I wonder too about that line. Sometimes you have to push a bit too find it. Funny thing was at the gym, my body didn't feel sore at all. But, I don't do IF. I experiemented with it a bit , but the day I almost dropped a kettlebell on my head, I decided it wasn't for me.;) I hadn't planned on doing much. I was just going to lift some stuff to get a feel for it. I would be leery of taking Ibuprofen before hand though. Plus, if I take it too much I get a stomach ache

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I would really not do that unless you *really* have to. Pain is a way for your body to tell you to back off and you should probably listen to it. Admittedly that's not always the case, pain is a bit weird, but the bigger issue is that taking pain killers before exercise will mask any niggles or even real injuries and potentially make them a lot worse. But that's for the general, healthy athlete, dealing with chronic pain is a completely different beast and you know a lot better than I do on what to do. :) 

That's how I feel. I don't have chronic issues. But if it is sore enough I need Ibuprfen, then I don't let myself workout, which is super sap

5 hours ago, TGP said:

actually a quick googling reveals that most experts are very much against this

my problem is that sometimes I have major discomfort (not pain) brought on  by intense exercise.  officially this is Fibromyalgia; but the medicine (Gabapentin) they gave me has a small and weak effect. I've tried other ones.   I don't think there is any good answer for this...

So its the old acronym RICE.   (Rice Ice Compression Elevation).

I think after walking 100miles in 2 days; in the early summer I'm going to have a heck of a lot of discomfort to deal with...

I have Tumeric capsules to help with inflammation. This week with my quads I've been taking about 4,000 mg. And drinking bone broth, as well as trying to get more water in And walking. And light exercise. I tried to do goblet squats yesterday, but I was too sore. I did so some BW squats though. Last night I woke up with sore muscles and just went for the quick Advil fix. And I have some muscle/joint rub that I put on it. And I did some foam rolling too.

I'm thinking if I walked 100 miles, I would want a hot tub. I think you should get a nice hotel with a hot tub and schedule a massage for the next day.

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Mostly I suck it up. :P And move around as much as I can to get the blood flow going. If my muscles are spasming I sometimes apply liniment to help them relax. Basically the opposite of RICE. Personally I've never found ice or foam rolling helpful in aiding recovery.

I'm pretty sure walking 100 miles in 2 days isn't possible though, unless you don't sleep or rest and do it on flat terrain. ;)  

Do you whine while you suck it up, or just suck it up?;) I  must admit I did whine a bit to my ever patient husband, who sometimes thinks his wife is crazy.:)

4 hours ago, TGP said:

@Mad Hatter

actually yes. you do have two nightly naps

so REALLY it is a

25mile  (sleep)

50-60mile (sleep)

25-15mile

the only way to do it without sleep is to RUN it, all in one day.

the particular 100mile endurance route has never been run.  but prolly 40-50 people over the 5 years the event has happened, have walked it.

(and NO  its not flat ground- hills; not mountains)

That is so intense. Have you read books by people who've hiked the AT through trail? I read a bunch. Some people train, some don't. But all of them experience pain. I think you just have to continue through it. I guess the thing is like you said, knowing when to keep pushing and when you need to stop.

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's insane. And you should feel broken after that. :P 

Well think about this way, if you take ibuprofen you might feel less pain but it will also lead to less gainzzz. Inflammation is what triggers muscle repair and growth so take that away and you take away the signalling for recovery. Besides, discomfort is not a bad thing. :) If you're in agony that's a different story, but discomfort really is ok. And you have to be able to distinguish between suffering and being actually hurt, especially on such a taxing endeavour. 

I'm not entirely sure how true this is (I've read conflicting research) but it makes me cautious about taking Ibuprofen. I don't want anything to get  reduce my GAINZZ. Not sure if the same principal is at work if I take Tumeric for inflammation, but I took it , because I wanted to be able to walk:lol:

1 hour ago, Red1263 said:

Heya EG! Just swinging by to say hello! I’m MIA for a bit, because I’m at school full-time and work full-time, so fitness has taken a bit of a backburner. I’m glad to see you still rocking it!

Hey, hi!!! Miss you dude. Glad you are back at school though. Sounds like a good thing to focus on. How has it been going?

• Like 3

fun reply;  if I get a chance to try tumeric I'll try it. 

mostly I just tell myself that I need to work on sucking it up.  and yes less Ibuprofen.

unfortunately my wife doesn't bear much whining. if I do that too much she just tells me to go away.  I suppose its not a bad way to get banished to whatever home improvement project that needs done.

as to Specifically the A100.  I know I'm crazy & I know it will hurt.  right now the point is to Not procrastinate the training.

I think, honestly, without training it is impossible without injury are plain out missing the 50hour deadline. 

thats Not necesarily a bad thing. your car, is in the end of the walk no matter how long it takes you.... but you can't say you've done it.   so

unconditioned; you CAN do the AT (cuz you'll get that on the way) but you Can't do the A100 in the 50 hours if you not fit.  blisters, btw, seem to be the #1 culprit. the trail is often very wet in early june; and when blisters start rubbing... well it gets bad, to gruesome quickly.

other times people have realized that their pace is horribly slow and then just tried to hitchhike to their car.  this is common around the 50 mile mark when people realize how FAR 100 miles really is...

----

As for me, I won't do a hot tub; but I am taking the next day off from work.  and With All that being said; I think its a great idea; and one I wish all kinds of People could do .  I think one should try something really BIG.  if that is  a marathon- well start running!  the point is to tackle something that really seems huge and nearly impossible.

I think we hold ourselves back, mentally.  and walking is one  of the safest ways to break through our mental limitations.

ok enough said.

I'll put the soapbox away.  pm me if you can get to NW pennsylvania in Early june ;)

I'm not surprised you had DOMS. that sounded like ALOT.  its very true that one can feel good at the gym then physically start aching later on. well. ok. I mean, that happens to me too.

glad your feeling better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

:lol:fun reply;  if I get a chance to try tumeric I'll try it. 

mostly I just tell myself that I need to work on sucking it up.  and yes less Ibuprofen.

unfortunately my wife doesn't bear much whining. if I do that too much she just tells me to go away.  I suppose its not a bad way to get banished to whatever home improvement project that needs done.

as to Specifically the A100.  I know I'm crazy & I know it will hurt.  right now the point is to Not procrastinate the training.

I think, honestly, without training it is impossible without injury are plain out missing the 50hour deadline. 

thats Not necesarily a bad thing. your car, is in the end of the walk no matter how long it takes you.... but you can't say you've done it.   so

unconditioned; you CAN do the AT (cuz you'll get that on the way) but you Can't do the A100 in the 50 hours if you not fit.  blisters, btw, seem to be the #1 culprit. the trail is often very wet in early june; and when blisters start rubbing... well it gets bad, to gruesome quickly.

other times people have realized that their pace is horribly slow and then just tried to hitchhike to their car.  this is common around the 50 mile mark when people realize how FAR 100 miles really is...

----

As for me, I won't do a hot tub; but I am taking the next day off from work.  and With All that being said; I think its a great idea; and one I wish all kinds of People could do .  I think one should try something really BIG.  if that is  a marathon- well start running!  the point is to tackle something that really seems huge and nearly impossible.

I think we hold ourselves back, mentally.  and walking is one  of the safest ways to break through our mental limitations.

ok enough said.

I'll put the soapbox away.  pm me if you can get to NW pennsylvania in Early june ;)

I'm not surprised you had DOMS. that sounded like ALOT.  its very true that one can feel good at the gym then physically start aching later on. well. ok. I mean, that happens to me too.

glad your feeling better.

I think the idea of trying something really BIG is true. I was going to say I haven't done that, but I guess I have on a smaller scale according to your definition. I didn't achieve the goal in SImple and Sinister (kettlebell) but I worked on it for a year or longer, and gained a bunch of strength and learned something about myself.

I've had little blisters before, and they hurt. I can't imagine walking for a super long time with them. DO you do anything besides walking to help condition your feet?

I'm super impressed by your taking this challenge on. I am excited for you to do it . Hearing how other Rebels take on challenges like this always inspires me.

Well, maybe the reason MR. I is patient is because he gives me a nod of sympathy and then heads off to the garage to work on projects by himself.:lol:

• Like 2

well, I'm lucky.

the old pair of Merril boots never did make blisters. not even during my 50 mile hikes (one year and then the next)...

the New ones (I bought a pair last month)  don't seem to make them either.  but this I know about blisters

* your socks matter; spend the time to figure out what socks work best

* KEEP YOUR feet dry.  easier said then done during a very wet year

* Moleskin early.  moleskin anything that feels hot AT ALL. be paranoid about blisters.

*keep the shoelaces tied taunt.  the less that slips the better.

and all that being said.  chaffing was a bigger problem for me those other years.  I don't have a good answer yet for that.  I need to work on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

well, I'm lucky.

the old pair of Merril boots never did make blisters. not even during my 50 mile hikes (one year and then the next)...

the New ones (I bought a pair last month)  don't seem to make them either.  but this I know about blisters

* your socks matter; spend the time to figure out what socks work best

* KEEP YOUR feet dry.  easier said then done during a very wet year

* Moleskin early.  moleskin anything that feels hot AT ALL. be paranoid about blisters.

*keep the shoelaces tied taunt.  the less that slips the better.

and all that being said.  chaffing was a bigger problem for me those other years.  I don't have a good answer yet for that.  I need to work on it.

I don't have any real hiking boots, I really need to fix that. Mostly what we do is small hikes, but I do a few longer hikes (well not long like 100 miles) 

• Like 1

Today was my second ring workout

Ring rows 6 x 3

assisted  chin ups 7 x 4

chin up negatives 5 x 4

tuck sit on P-bars  20 sec x 5 ( The workout called for inverted hangs but I don't have room on the indoor rings and it was raining outside)

Also:

Had a good morning. Read my Bible, cleaned kitchen, and then went on a walk. I wanted to get a walk in while it wasn't raining. Friends came over for prayer, and then in the afternoon I did my workout and my FF. Also made chocolate chips cookies for a lunch tomorrow with friends. I used Truvia. I had two tonight, which I thought was good practice to enjoy them, and not to have too many.

• Like 5

Guys guys guys!  I got DOMS just reading about your DOMS!  :D    "Mostly I just suck it up."    This is me... sorta.    Except the polar opposite, "Mostly I just lament and complain and roll around telling everyone how terrible the pain is!"

tenor.gif?itemid=5795265

But you guys reminded me that I have this delightful turmeric blend of tea at my friend's house that I was getting in the habit of drinking a few times a week and I really need to get back onto that.   Pro tip!   Turmeric is the king of spices when it comes to body benefits, but it does stain things yellow!   I have a single serve plastic steeper thing and it's tinged yellow for life now!

Elastigirl!  Nice work on everything.   I am seriously impressed by your two cookie nomming!     How'd they turn out with Truvia?  

• Like 4

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

On 4/4/2018 at 10:25 PM, Elastigirl said:

Do you whine while you suck it up, or just suck it up?;) I  must admit I did whine a bit to my ever patient husband, who sometimes thinks his wife is crazy.:)

Hahaha have you read my thread? :D I make sure that everyone knows and feels sorry for me. :P (Except nobody actually feels sorry for me because it's mostly self inflicted) 

I also don't get colds, I get man flus. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

cute-quotes-for-him-If-someone-asked-me-

:redface-new: Thanks

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hahaha have you read my thread? :D I make sure that everyone knows and feels sorry for me. :P (Except nobody actually feels sorry for me because it's mostly self inflicted) 

I also don't get colds, I get man flus. 

:lol: Yes, that's the problem with trying to get sympathy for self inflicted pain, no one really feel sorry for you

6 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Guys guys guys!  I got DOMS just reading about your DOMS!  :D    "Mostly I just suck it up."    This is me... sorta.    Except the polar opposite, "Mostly I just lament and complain and roll around telling everyone how terrible the pain is!"

tenor.gif?itemid=5795265

But you guys reminded me that I have this delightful turmeric blend of tea at my friend's house that I was getting in the habit of drinking a few times a week and I really need to get back onto that.   Pro tip!   Turmeric is the king of spices when it comes to body benefits, but it does stain things yellow!   I have a single serve plastic steeper thing and it's tinged yellow for life now!

Elastigirl!  Nice work on everything.   I am seriously impressed by your two cookie nomming!     How'd they turn out with Truvia?  

That tea sounds so good.I like to believe I'm sucking it up, but in reality there is a lot of whining:)

• Like 1

Morning went well. I was up , read Bible, worked out, got dressed and was ready to go to a friend's house by 10:15. My friend's liked my cookies. I gave some to me friend, and the others I took home and put in our freezer for another day.

Today wasleg day, and I was able to do it without dying, so that was good. Also, I did roll into pistols, it's been a year since I did them, and I am much stronger with them.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 10:08 PM, TGP said:

This... and this... and this... couldn't agree more. Sometimes we are our own worst "enemies".

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."