• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chemgeek

Chemgeek runs around putting out (metaphorical) fires

I understand your circumstances, but LVC's got a point. Might not be bad to set some baselines you can refer back to, or at least to let us know what those are so we can cheer you on or commiserate as need be.

Don't sweat small stuff = stop trying to upkeep 2 households to my normal standard in the time allotted for 1. The world writ large will not end if I don't get the floors done.

Cliff's notes version of life situation is I am helping watch over another household and assisting in caregiver responsibility for a moderately physically and mentally disabled adult. During this I am still working full time. Splitting time between two households and trying to keep both clean and fully maintained while helping care for someone who is unable to be left alone while also dealing with new health issues of my own, my own chronic illness, and my partner's health stuff. Doing ALLTHETHINGS is not sustainable and I was burning out, so that is a reminder to me to triage and make time for rest.

As for the other two, frankly given current uncertainty, setting concrete numbers on exercise risks setting myself up for failure. Healthy eating one is just maintenance of my medical diet and remembering to eat regularly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chemgeek said:

As for the other two, frankly given current uncertainty, setting concrete numbers on exercise risks setting myself up for failure. Healthy eating one is just maintenance of my medical diet and remembering to eat regularly.

I get not wanting to risk setting yourself up for failure. However, without setting some sort of number, you won't be able to commit and growth will be difficult. Even if that number is work out once a week or go for a 10 minute walk each day.  There's nothing wrong with failing, just keep trying.  Sorry, trying to motivate not be a dick. 

At this point I am walking to/from work and that is it as far as what I have time for and I have to be ok with that. I don't know when my time will be mine again and ensuring the person I am caring for doesn't die from complications of their disability is more important than working out. Full stop, end of.

I get people are trying to be motivating but I need y'all to lay off right now. Given that I am literally skipping breakfast to have enough time to sleep, you are getting into unintentionally violating Wheaton's Law territory.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, chemgeek said:

At this point I am walking to/from work and that is it as far as what I have time for and I have to be ok with that. I don't know when my time will be mine again and ensuring the person I am caring for doesn't die from complications of their disability is more important than working out. Full stop, end of.

I get people are trying to be motivating but I need y'all to lay off right now. Given that I am literally skipping breakfast to have enough time to sleep, you are getting into unintentionally violating Wheaton's Law territory.

:( Absolutely, man. As long as you get that it was unintentional. We got you. I hope things resolve well for the person you're taking care of right now. If there's anything we can do, just let us know.

Life makes you triage ruthlessly sometimes. Like recovery from injury, it's just one of those curve balls you need to play when they arrive. Some challenges it's a win just to show up. You attack the next problem, and sometimes that's keeping your head in the game. That's enough. Being ready to restart when conditions change is not nothing.

Walking is underrated. It's good basic conditioning. It counts. Maybe it's your holding pattern rather than your growth goal, but not losing ground in difficult circumstances, whether injury or emergency, is a win. Skipping breakfast? Make up the calories later and decide it's intermittent fasting. Use the circumstances to your benefit. Bam, another goal built in. There are some interesting health benefits. Not burning out is a critical and difficult goal. Rest is a challenge even under ordinary circumstances. You have an amazing challenge, and I think you're amazing for showing up when things are so tough in your life. I also think it's good self care to take those few moments to check in with how you're doing. Like you say, it's easy to neglect and critical not to.

Good luck. Let us know what we can do. If you can throw some money at some practical issues, I recommend Amazon Prime/Now/Pantry/Subscribe & Save or local grocery delivery to save as many regular errands as possible, a robot mop/vac to automate basic cleaning (generics are getting fairly cheap, and some get good ratings), an instant pot or other electric pressure cooker for crazy-fast bulk cooking that you don't need to oversee (especially good at the sorts of recipes you can make in big batches and reheat or freeze). Frozen vegetables are precut, packaged in good sizes for one batch use, are often healthier than fresh, no spoilage issues, and come in premade mixes. You may be doing all those things already, but that's how I'd start keeping two households running with as little time from me as possible, try to automate the most frequent time sinks.

• Like 4

Cheering you on for turning up when you're doing massive life juggling.

Massive cheer also for fitting in walking to work - hopefully that gives you a moment when you can either think or zone out (depending on which works for you).  Right now any exercise is a win, and walking is great, especially in stressful times.

I like the batch cooking suggestion - if you can carve out that bit of time to make food for multiple meals then that can simplify things.

Good luck with it all.  Especially simplifying away as many non-essentials as possible.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 8:40 AM, sarakingdom said:

Good luck. Let us know what we can do. If you can throw some money at some practical issues, I recommend Amazon Prime/Now/Pantry/Subscribe & Save or local grocery delivery to save as many regular errands as possible, a robot mop/vac to automate basic cleaning (generics are getting fairly cheap, and some get good ratings), an instant pot or other electric pressure cooker for crazy-fast bulk cooking that you don't need to oversee (especially good at the sorts of recipes you can make in big batches and reheat or freeze). Frozen vegetables are precut, packaged in good sizes for one batch use, are often healthier than fresh, no spoilage issues, and come in premade mixes. You may be doing all those things already, but that's how I'd start keeping two households running with as little time from me as possible, try to automate the most frequent time sinks.

A lot of this. If you can swing it, the grocery delivery for me was a game changer when suddenly no time was around to go and get there myself. Also had the odd side effect that I spent less money because I wasn’t doing the impulse buys from walking around a store. And the IP is great for quick things.

Good luck, it sounds like there’s a whole bunch of chaos around you right now, but you at least know you need to triage and that I think is 75% of the battle. 

Hi Everyone 

Sorry for getting snappy. Stress and burnout was a thing.

Spent last weekend sleeping and generally ignoring most non-dishes-and-food-prep chores and feeling much better. Paid back a good chunk of sleep debt. Had nachos for supper yesterday (they fit my macros and I cooked it from scratch and I have no regrets).

Have a work trip this week which will force me to take a break from the situation and hoping I can sort out the brain trash and find a better balance on stuff. 

• Like 4

Work trip. Morning circuit of 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 side peels and 10 squats, repeated 5x. Followed by stretching. Not much but better than nothing.

• Like 3

Hotel room on the 5th floor. I hate elevators (has to do with the fact that I don't like feeling trapped, and a rickety metal box with no way out over a four-storey fall is about as trapped-feeling as it gets - I don't mind enclosed spaces, as long as there's a way out that I have control over OR I have barricaded myself within and know I'm safe. It's the "don't know if you're safe" coupled with the "no way out" that gets me going. If the elevator jams or glitches, I'm stuck and I hate that. That and my imagination is a little too good for my own good, and I have enough engineering knowledge to be dangerous to my mental wellbeing which couples in a bad way with said overactive imagination). I mean, I can put up with them, but I don't like them.

Annnyway, I've been tempted by the stairwells all yesterday when I was here. But some hotels put alarms on the stairwells and I didn't want to cause a panic. So this morning I asked. Turns out that the stairwells are not alarmed here. GUESS WHO IS RUNNING UP AND DOWN FOUR FLIGHTS OF STAIRS EVERY TIME I WANT TO GRAB SOMETHING for the rest of my stay?! 8D

And I think I have a new habit. First question on check-in at a new hotel is gonna be, "So is it OK if I take the stairs here, or are they alarmed?" I mean, inconvenient as hell, but my quads and glutes are gonna be fantastic since I'm travelling about 25% of the time and my luck is such that my room is usually at least 4-5 stories up. 

(fun aside: This hotel is busier than its elevators were designed for so the host I asked actually thanked me for wanting to use the stairs!)

• Like 4

Soooo apparently NY has started making restaurants post calorie counts foor food. This is useful. Like apparently steak with double veg is lower calorie than literally every other menu options so guess who just ordered steak (700calish)? 

also fish and chips is apparently fewer calories than literally 2/3 of the salads. Which is alarming but then again I had salad earlier at a different place and I swear it tasted like it was soaked in sugar sooooooo not suprised.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Soooo apparently NY has started making restaurants post calorie counts foor food. This is useful. Like apparently steak with double veg is lower calorie than literally every other menu options so guess who just ordered steak (700calish)? 

I really appreciate that too. It's something that is spreading to other countries as well. I always find it easier to track when I'm in the US because MFP has so many brands on it.

On the academy FB page, someone shared this link that might be helpful for you: IIFYM Fast Food Master List. I don't think fast food is the ideal way to go, but when you are struggling with all the time commitments you have, it can be helpful to have this information.

18 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Yup! It's happening down here too. Super-useful for counting calories and assessing versus macros. Also, it gave you an opportunity to eat steak. The only bad steak is a missed steak. Unless it was well-done. You didn't get it well-done, did you?

• Like 2

Late to the party, but glad to see you got a break from the family stress. Good for you getting exercise in the hotel. I hope you also got to eat a lot of good food and catch up on sleep.

18 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yup! It's happening down here too. Super-useful for counting calories and assessing versus macros. Also, it gave you an opportunity to eat steak. The only bad steak is a missed steak. Unless it was well-done. You didn't get it well-done, did you?

Nope. Get mine medium rare. If you are gonna get steak welldone why not just ask for an order of flame-broiled shoe leather? :P

Also:Good news! Family emergency resolved for at least the next month while I was away. :)

The person in question may have another period of need in about 5 weeks but for now thinfs can go back to normal.

...After I wash literally everything that got exposed to smoke.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Nope. Get mine medium rare. If you are gonna get steak welldone why not just ask for an order of flame-broiled shoe leather? :P

Also:Good news! Family emergency resolved for at least the next month while I was away. :)

The person in question may have another period of need in about 5 weeks but for now thinfs can go back to normal.

...After I wash literally everything that got exposed to smoke.

I concur. Glad to see that your family stuff is calming down and crossing my fingers that it gets stabilized someday.  

Only critique on the calories thing. Things could also be more nutrient dense than others and thus have more, I guess quality calories. Just a heads up.  

Image result for but dad what if they want well done king of the hill meme

• Like 1

Yeah pretty sure that steak with stir fried veg (icluding bok choi, onions, peppers, carrots, broccoli and spinach) is better quality food than iceberg lettuce drenched in salad dressing with a deep fried chicken breast (the "healthy" option which was about 1200 kcal- seriously how does one manage a salad with 1200 kcal?! I used to work McD's so I know: soaking all veg in sugar water and a lot of fat in the dressing). I have been doing the healthy eating thing for a decade now and meet twice yearly with a dietician to stay on track. Good fooding is one of my more solid fitness areas. Always room for improvement of course. 

• Like 4

Bailed early from game night because short sleep from night before had me falling asleep at the table (fortunately I host with my partner so I didn't have to worry about driving in that state) and crashed in bed early and slept late to make up sleep debt. 

Lunch today has 4 servings of veggies and 1 of healthy fats (avocado), 1 of protein (mixed beans), and 1 of grains (hemp hearts). Seasoned with lime juice and garlic and hot sauce. Looking forward to it - I find my best lunches in terms of avoiding mid-afternoon crash are: 

1. Low GI
  2. High in veggies
  3. Moderate for fat and protein
  4. High in bulk/fiber and moderate-to-low in calories (400-600 kcal seems to be the sweet spot)

(see also why I spend most afternoons very drowsy when I travel - good luck finding a lunch item at a restaurant in the US or Canada that's under 700 kcal. Sometimes I'll just buy protein bars and grab one of those and a coffee and have that be my "lunch" when I travel, which is less than ideal in terms of nutrition but keeps me from falling asleep behind the wheel thanks to a carb coma)

For afternoon snack, I am probably going to bring a smoothie with avocado and berries and protein powder. Been debating getting a second grinder (I grind my own coffee beans which is wonderful but terrible for grinding anything other than coffee because the coffee flavor gets into everything and do you want coffee flavored cinnamon oatmeal? Cuz that's how you get coffee flavored cinnamon oatmeal. Not as nice as you'd think, by the way) and experimenting with powdered lentils and/or beans in smoothies. I think mung bean could go great - and would prefer to get away from hyperprocessed protein powder (esp since finding unsweetened protien powder is hard and if it's sweetened sugar content is typically too high for me. Unless it has artificial sweetener but I want to avoid that due to family history of liver and kidney issues (unsure how much of that is due to the alcoholism that runs on that side of the family, but hey eat accordingly and hopefully I never have to find out right?).

No breakfast because still going IF. Forgot how much more productive my mornings are on IF when I fell back into the breakfast habit last month, but a couple days on IF reminds me that it's really the eating pattern that works for me even if everyone and their dog is all, "You need to eat breakfast!" For me: My evening munchies can be put to productive use on getting the right food into me, my mornings are not spent fighting with my total lack of early-morning appetite, I'm not as prone to snacking in the day, and I'm not in a reactive hypoglycemia episode some of the morning because low-GI breakfast foods that are fast to prep and eat are damn near impossible to find. I'm not sold on the alleged metabolic benefits of IF (from what I've read the body doesn't care when you eat, it cares what you eat and how much - and likewise with exercise. Admittedly I am not a dietician or a sports scientist, so this is just my layperson science nerdism showing through...), but what I am sold on is its ability to make me mindful of and proactive on planning my food intake and the fact that the pattern seems to be what I like to do anyway and how my body has always wanted to run. 

• Like 1