• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chemgeek

Chemgeek runs around putting out (metaphorical) fires

16 hours ago, chemgeek said:

About 7cm. Then freezing rain. Then rain.

Oh yuck. Freezing rain is the worst. Why does winter have to be such a jerk on its way out?

I hope you feel better with rest and your asthma calms down.

So, treat asthma with sick plan before bed = magically have enough energy for a full day of work PLUS cooking good foods, which arrests the spiral I've been in the past week of dragging through work, barely making it home, ordering in food or whipping together whatever junk I have on hand (or in one mildly-embarrasing case, having a banana, eggs, and toast for supper which was actually one of the more nutritionally balanced suppers I've made this week - other not-so-great decisions included fast food, nut spread and bread for supper, and in one case a can of cream of mushroom soup and pasta), going to bed feeling like crap, waking up feeling worse, repeat. 

So. Yeah. Note to self: Spring is asthma weather, be on top of your asthma game. Amazing how an objectively mild flareup made me feel cruddy enough that I let it derail almost all of my lifestyle within a week (eating lots of bread, cold cuts, fast food, etc tends to give me gut problems because I have intestinal neuronal dysplasia - think IBS except genetic and due to my digestive tract not having properly-functioning nerve cells). 

• Like 1

Had a severe but non lifethreatening allergic rxn (technically anaphylaxis but mild) and spent 3hrs in ER. No martial arts. Stoned af on Benadryl. Probably can never eat peanuts again but will know for sure in 6mo when I get allergy testing. 

*grump*

like peanuts. All of my other allergy nonsense is stuff I hate anyway.

Nothing I can think of. The allergic rxn came on very strongly immediately after eating pb cookie so timing is right. Peanuts are apparently o

Still having symptoms today but nowhere near as bad. Told by ER doctor I may be itchy or asthma-y for a couple weeks. 

So yesterday on ER doc's loose advice, ("Given you have asthma and you've had a couple bad asthma attacks in response to preservatives before and then you've had this one, you might want to look into an Epi-Pen") and various medical pros' in my extended family's advice (benefit of having medical pros in the family - I have built-in second, third, fourth, and fifth opinions sometimes :P ), the fact that I now tick a bunch of the risk factors for severe anaphylaxis (previous anaphylactic attack - check. Food allergy - check. Asthma - check. Antibiotic allergy - check. Adult age with drug or food allergy - check), and my pharmacist's advice (denial is not just a river in Egypt for this nerd fighter), I bought an Epi-Pen and built myself an emergency anaphylaxis kit. Am also looking into a Medic Alert or allergy wallet card with instructions on where to find my Epi pen. 

Hopefully I will never need it, but having been convinced that it's something I now need to be prepared for, I want to make sure I'm properly prepared.

I know a lot of people in this subforum also deal with food allergy stuffs - so if you have any recommended reading, this is an open request on that front! I know I have a steep learning curve ahead of me and with the stakes as high as they are, I'd like to be proactive rather than reactive in gaining knowledge about it. I've already read through a bunch of the foodallergy.ca stuff, but anything else in terms of the day-to-day precautions would be helpful.

• Like 2

TIL I need to bring my own food for airports when flying in the AM as peanut free airport breakfasts seem to be unicorns and when I have been awake since 3 for a flight, 11 AM feels like 2PM and hangry becomes a thing. Also apparently Cora's is peanut safe so I had a calorie heavy brunch (literally 1/2 my calories for the day but all real food so I won't kick myself on it. I was hungry esp with leg day being yesterday.). Woo no mouth itching! 

I am thinking back on a few weeks ahead of my reaction and in retrospect I noticed I had stopped gravitating to peanuts as a snack a few months back. That is apparently sign of an impending allergy - basically your subconscious begins to associate the food with feeling ill. I had been having GI and skin issues (eczema) when I did eat peanut containing snacks and about the past month or so I was having itchy mouth so often I had stopped making note of it (figured it was spring allergies). Since I have cut out peanuts and tree nuts, I haven't had an itchy mouth, my asthma has been better and my skin issues are improved.

So. Yeah. Tl;dr: Mouth itching is something that I really need to pay attention to since it seems to be my peanut early warning sign.

• Like 1

Your 20/20 hindsight makes a lot of sense. It sucks that you have developed another food allergy. Good for you for getting the Epi-pen. There are far too many common things in the environment that are out to get your immune system.

Scraping ice and shoveling count as arm day.

• Like 1