The Harry Potter House Cup

Book 5, for that version of the imposter madeye.  Totally awesome, that character.

• Like 1

Level 1 NPC Assassin

Strength: 2Dexterity: 0 Stamina: 3 Constitution: 1 Wisdom: 4Charisma: 0

Current Quest  |  Previous Quest Current Stats

Weight Loss Goal: 40 of 116 lbs; 296 to 180

{progress='1e90ff'}34.5{/progress}

2 hours ago, Endor said:

I knew someone would say that, have to admit I haven't read them. Is there much content in them that is not in the films? Maybe I should read them.

Dude, yes! The movies are just mere shadows of all the stuff in the books.  Ghostlet and I are just finishing up Order of the Phoenix :) 

• Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

@Endor, I have a question about the 3RM deadlift - given that my barbell is only about half of my 3RM, if I do 3 single leg reps for each leg, can I count that as double?  For example 3 reps each leg at 50kg to equal 3 normal reps at 100kg?

If not, I guess I will just be stuck with those darn wall sits

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

7 hours ago, Endor said:

Sounds like they'll be next on my reading list, think my wife even has the books already somewhere. 

Full disclosure - I have not read all the books NOR seen all the movies. (I'm a bad nerd.) I was traumatized (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) by the ending of Order of the Phoenix (book), so I "took a break" before starting The Half-Blood Prince. That break has now been like a decade. I did eventually see the movie version of OOTP, which was somehow less emotional, but I'm the kind of annoying Luddite who refuses to watch the movies until I have read the books, so I have not seen the last two - even though I am pretty sure all the major spoilers have been long since spoiled.

• Like 1

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

16 hours ago, Endor said:

All this pottering has me thinking a re-watch is in order, that'll keep me busy for a few evenings :) 

Which film do you like the best? 

3rd one. Gary Oldman and David Thewlis were great in their respective roles.

14 hours ago, Endor said:

I knew someone would say that, have to admit I haven't read them. Is there much content in them that is not in the films? Maybe I should read them.

5 hours ago, Gemma said:

Full disclosure - I have not read all the books NOR seen all the movies. (I'm a bad nerd.) I was traumatized (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) by the ending of Order of the Phoenix (book), so I "took a break" before starting The Half-Blood Prince. That break has now been like a decade. I did eventually see the movie version of OOTP, which was somehow less emotional, but I'm the kind of annoying Luddite who refuses to watch the movies until I have read the books, so I have not seen the last two - even though I am pretty sure all the major spoilers have been long since spoiled.

Tsk, tsk. Slytherin not finishing their homework! :P

In all seriousness, I tend to favor the books over the movies even though I love both. I've read the books all the way through 4 times, and they are well worth the time. They get progressively darker though, so that's probably why the 1st book will always be my favorite.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

@Endor, I have a question about the 3RM deadlift - given that my barbell is only about half of my 3RM, if I do 3 single leg reps for each leg, can I count that as double?  For example 3 reps each leg at 50kg to equal 3 normal reps at 100kg?

If not, I guess I will just be stuck with those darn wall sits

After much deliberation....yes I'll allow that BUT for the modification you have a buy-in, 30 sec wall sit just before you lift.

However, you're the Slytherin House Champion (bet you didn't know that!) and king of the wall-sit. If you can hit the 160 secs wall-sit cap that'll be worth 40 points, so with the custom rules just for you,  a deadlift of more than 60kg each leg with a 30 sec wall-sit buy in is required to get the best score. 

media.gif

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

3 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Tsk, tsk. Slytherin not finishing their homework! :P

In all seriousness, I tend to favor the books over the movies even though I love both. I've read the books all the way through 4 times, and they are well worth the time. They get progressively darker though, so that's probably why the 1st book will always be my favorite.

Heh u made me lol :) 

Yeah I like the innocence of the first year, seeing Harry go to Ollivanders and all the characters getting introduced. 

10 hours ago, OldManDawsy said:
16 hours ago, Endor said:
Has anyone tried them on audiobook? Might be a good one for that format. 

There's a great version read by Stephen Fry out there. Come TO think about it, if I Recall, theRE is probably a versioN available aT Dymocks.

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Late to the party, but the audiobooks by Stephen Fry are marvelous.

This Stephen Fry version sounds like a winner, I'll see what i can find.....

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

10 hours ago, Gemma said:

Oh wow, my curiosity would have gotten the better of me after all that time!

tumblr_nhf95aVzkf1u1vo97o1_500.gif

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Looking at the scores so far... it seems that the higher year Gryffindors all have mastered... teleportation.  I am envious!  Not even like... 0.2 km a day just... getting from bed to the sock drawer or something?  :beguiled:

• Haha 3

Level 1 NPC Assassin

Hey, I guess it doesn't need to update daily...  But the other numbers there are sure comforting.

• Like 1

Level 1 NPC Assassin

4 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Added Monday's total. Will keep it current now that I realize we update as we go lol 

Heh, you don't have to update daily that's optional, final score for the week has to be in by 9am Monday (your time), aside from that up to you when you update. I find it easier not to have to remember so I add mine right after my walk. 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

8 minutes ago, Eskcanta said:

Hey, I guess it doesn't need to update daily...  But the other numbers there are sure comforting.

5 minutes ago, Endor said:

Heh, you don't have to update daily that's optional, final score for the week has to be in by 9am Monday (your time), aside from that up to you when you update. I find it easier not to have to remember so I add mine right after my walk. 

It's all good. Less chance of me forgetting it completely with daily rather than one big update at the end of the week. :)

Also, I could maybe see some folks willing to go just a little bit further (the 'extra mile', as it were), seeing what their fellow nerds are doing ;)

• Like 1

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

6 hours ago, Endor said:

After much deliberation....yes I'll allow that BUT for the modification you have a buy-in, 30 sec wall sit just before you lift....  ... so with the custom rules just for you,  a deadlift of more than 60kg each leg with a 30 sec wall-sit buy in is required to get the best score. 

So let's see... I need to increase my previous single leg deadlift PR by 10kgs and have to do a 30 second wall sit before that?

Image result for malfoy gif

6 hours ago, Endor said:

you're the Slytherin House Champion (bet you didn't know that!)

Oh, well in that case

• Haha 2

Level 2 Ninja

15 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

So let's see... I need to increase my previous single leg deadlift PR by 10kgs and have to do a 30 second wall sit before that?

tenor.gif?itemid=3932088

Snape-GIF.gif

• Haha 4

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

So I went and got my other 2 15kg plates from the basement today to get my weight up to 60kg (+ the bar which is like 0.5kg or something?) and did the deed this morning. 

It was leg day anyway, so I just moved this up to the front of the workout and got it out of the way.  My legs did not like that one bit, but I convinced them to go along with it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Level 2 Ninja

@WhiteGhost is the first to catch the Snitch with a deadlift 3RM of 121kg! 

That counts for 40 points to Slytherin!

(only if he scores house points in all 4 weeks though!)

source.gif

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

10 minutes ago, Endor said:

(only if he scores house points in all 4 weeks though!)

I probably should have asked this earlier (like before I was sorted... sorry fellow housemates!), but is there a possible alternative exercise for me for the burpees week?

I am not sure how you are handling pushups and such, if they need to be a specific type, but... as far as I know, there is only one type of burpee.

I can just about barely manage one "normal" pushup (my pushup level is around knee pushups, but my bad knee does not like that pressure, so I still do counter pushups), and normal pushups are part of doing a burpee... I probably could do at least a couple a day (while crying from effort) if that was my only problem.

But there's my bad knee, plus significant obesity.  I flat out don't dare do either of the jumping position changes that a burpee calls for.

I noticed someone else got a doable personal version of a snitch catch...

And my knee can handle squats, so I suspect a wall sit is something I can do, so I am dreaming of trying for that snitch...

But what about the burpees, and my probable "can't do that"?

• Like 1

Level 1 NPC Assassin