• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

Image result for eddie cummings bjj

So, I'm actually competing in a local No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu tournament this Sunday. I don't feel that I took the steps to fully prepare for it. I want to make a change and after this tournament really focus on improvement of myself. Here are my goals:

 

Physical Goals

I'm planning on competing in the World Master IBJJF Jiu-Jitsu Championship. For those not familiar with Sport Jiu-Jitsu, this just means you're over 30. There are also weight classes and right now, I'm in the super fatty weight class that has no limit. I plan to compete at Heavyweight which has a limit of 208 pounds. So the way I'm thinking is if I'm able to lose 10-12 pounds I would be able to reach my goal. While I'm considered very agile for my size (250 lbs) I believe that I am lacking strength-wise in my current division. So this goal will address that. 

 

The Plan

1. For Whom the Bell Tolls

During a podcast interview, Eddie Bravo black belt, Denny Prokopos discussed the benefits of implementing kettlebell training. He mentions that after numerous injuries, his knees just couldn't handle the impact from running. He has since replaced running with kettlebells which he swears by as it gives him both strength and cardio training.  The benefits of gaining some strength would be great and since I hate running anyway, I'll be able to hit that too. 

 

2. The Key to Better Jiu Jitsu is More Jiu Jitsu.

I often feel that I could train more. So my training schedule will go as follows:

M/W-  6AM Gi Jiu Jitsu

T/Th - 6AM No Gi Jiu Jitsu

F - 6AM Gi Jiu Jitsu / 6PM No Gi Jiu Jitsu

The weekends I'll check out some open mats. If I can, I'll try to come in late for one of the 6PM classes, but seeing how I get off work at 6PM except Fridays where I get off an hour earlier.  Then I have a half hour commute, it gets difficult. 

 

3. The Element That Brings Life

Really, I thought I knew stuff about nutrition, but things have changed so much.  I'm interested in the Ketogenic diet, but at this point I'm not familiar enough to even attempt to implement that as my diet. For now, I will focus on proper hydration.  For the duration of the challenge, the only beverages I'll consume will be water, coffee, and if I make myself a protein shake out of protein powder and water.  I have one of those vacuum insulated water bottles that holds 40 oz. I'll drink one of those before lunch. One after Lunch. and another after work.  

 

Mental Goal - Read More

I haven't actually read a book in a few years. I sometimes listen to audio books on my way to work, but there's something meditative when it comes to actually reading a book. I did just pick up a copy of American Gods, so I think I'll start reading that. I plan to read for an hour before I go to bed every night. 

 

Lifestyle - There's Something About a Clean House, a Clean Room. 

Dishes keep piling up in our sink. Both my wife and I hate doing the dishes, but it just gets ridiculous sometimes. I think both my wife and I would appreciate it if the dishes were done.  So, I plan to do the dishes every night.  I'll make sure that the dishwasher is loaded up by the end of the night. It runs overnight. Then put away the dishes in the morning. Hopefully this will become a habit and I can keep the whole house clean because right now it's a huge mess. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really makes a big different to have to dirty dishes out of your eye first. I made it a habit to put them away into the dishwasher as soon as I don't need them anymore, so they don't pile up in the sink or stay on the table after breakfast. But it sounds as if you already have a plan. Let us know, how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also hate doing dishes, though I try to keep them washed as I go. It's easy to let that slip a little, especially now that I live alone and would never fill a whole dishwasher before it smelled. So I'm washing by hand, and, well. But I'm working on not slipping.

 

Hydration is excellent. And a continual challenge.

 

What is your time frame for losing ten pounds?

 

I do know a fair bit about ketogenic diets, and am happy to answer questions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, leglocker said:

1. For Whom the Bell Tolls

During a podcast interview, Eddie Bravo black belt, Denny Prokopos discussed the benefits of implementing kettlebell training. He mentions that after numerous injuries, his knees just couldn't handle the impact from running. He has since replaced running with kettlebells which he swears by as it gives him both strength and cardio training.  The benefits of gaining some strength would be great and since I hate running anyway, I'll be able to hit that too. 

 

I can verify this. I never got the conditioning I wanted to help people with physical tasks or keep up in martial arts until I got good at the Swing. I personally swear by Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple and Sinister. It's great for building a wide base of strength and conditioning without killing yourself and can pretty much fit in around just about any training schedule you like. His dietary recommendations will also be in line with where you're wanting to eventually go with your diet anyway, so there's that too.

 

My one recommendation, if you go that route, is to take it easy on the extra training. You can hurt yourself with both BJJ and kettlebells, and there's no percentage in compromising your recovery to that extent. Train much, yes, but recover more.

 

Otherwise... yeah, I like the look of this one. So! Welcome to the Monastery! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

What is your time frame for losing ten pounds?

 

I do know a fair bit about ketogenic diets, and am happy to answer questions.

I'm looking to lose the 10-12 pounds by the end of the challenge. I'm trying to get to a new weight class for Jiu-Jitsu competition. 

 

I don't really know where to begin and a lot of times I google websites, but I'm not sure which is actually legit.  So any book or website recommendations would be helpful. 

 

47 minutes ago, Kishi said:

 

I can verify this. I never got the conditioning I wanted to help people with physical tasks or keep up in martial arts until I got good at the Swing. I personally swear by Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple and Sinister. It's great for building a wide base of strength and conditioning without killing yourself and can pretty much fit in around just about any training schedule you like. His dietary recommendations will also be in line with where you're wanting to eventually go with your diet anyway, so there's that too.

 

My one recommendation, if you go that route, is to take it easy on the extra training. You can hurt yourself with both BJJ and kettlebells, and there's no percentage in compromising your recovery to that extent. Train much, yes, but recover more.

 

Otherwise... yeah, I like the look of this one. So! Welcome to the Monastery! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Hey Kishi, 

 

Thanks for the recommendations. I've seen some videos on kettelbell flows and I've only found some really advanced ones.  I just purchased Simple and Sinister just now and since I have Prime, I'll be getting it probably later today.  Eric Leija, on Instagram known as PrimalSwoldier, has some cool ones, but I think I'll work my way up to those. Thanks for the tip on overtraining too. I definitely don't want the diminished returns. Our classes are fairly short compared to what I was previously used to and have been itching for more, so I think I may be safe. I'll still push myself, but make sure that I'm in a good place to keep training.  I know along with kettlebells there's other recommendations such as the Mace, Battle Ropes, and Clubs. Any experience in that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leglocker said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I've seen some videos on kettelbell flows and I've only found some really advanced ones.  I just purchased Simple and Sinister just now and since I have Prime, I'll be getting it probably later today.  Eric Leija, on Instagram known as PrimalSwoldier, has some cool ones, but I think I'll work my way up to those. Thanks for the tip on overtraining too. I definitely don't want the diminished returns. Our classes are fairly short compared to what I was previously used to and have been itching for more, so I think I may be safe. I'll still push myself, but make sure that I'm in a good place to keep training.  I know along with kettlebells there's other recommendations such as the Mace, Battle Ropes, and Clubs. Any experience in that?

 

Not as such, I'm afraid. My brother, who is also a martial artist, has had a lot of luck with Mace, and while I personally find Mace and Clubs to be intriguing I haven't really found a way to incorporate those into my training.

 

That said, Joe Rogan's a fan, and he's also into Pavel's brand of anti-glycolytic training, and as he's a dedicated BJJ-ka I'd probably recommend him as a source. Just look up some of his rants on YouTube and you'll probably get some ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kishi said:

That said, Joe Rogan's a fan, and he's also into Pavel's brand of anti-glycolytic training, and as he's a dedicated BJJ-ka I'd probably recommend him as a source. Just look up some of his rants on YouTube and you'll probably get some ideas.

Oh, I'm familiar with Rogan. He's also someone that kind of inspired me to look into kettlebells and such. I listen to his podcast once in a while and one of those episodes actually got me wanting to look into the Ketogenic-based diets. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, leglocker said:

I'm looking to lose the 10-12 pounds by the end of the challenge. I'm trying to get to a new weight class for Jiu-Jitsu competition. 

 

1-2 pounds a week is the recommended rate. Three pounds a week is what you're looking at there, and I think you'll find it tough. (To be honest, two pounds a week can be very tough.)

 

To give some context, if the calorie model works well for you when it comes to weight loss, two pounds a week is a 1000 calorie deficit per day, and three would be a 1500 calorie deficit per day. Your body might let you put up with the former and still perform (not everyone can), but it's a lot less likely to allow the latter without your performance falling off a cliff. So don't be disappointed if that's an optimistic goal.

 

31 minutes ago, leglocker said:

I don't really know where to begin and a lot of times I google websites, but I'm not sure which is actually legit.  So any book or website recommendations would be helpful. 

 

The two classic books are Atkins, and Dan and Mary Eades (Protein Power). The basics haven't really changed at all, just the number of supporting studies, so you'd get what you need from either of those. They're written in a slightly diet book style, so you sort of have to put up with that. (It's not my favorite.) The Eades book is a little ahead of its time with some very modern Paleo emphasis, which their early publisher rewrapped as a diet book, and they are now the keto/lower carb edge of the Paleo/primal world. They'd be a good choice. There are some more sciencey recent books, but they can be dense going.

 

The Reddit community and its FAQ aren't bad, once you've read a book. They have a big fetish for electrolytes, which seems like fine tuning to me, though I can't actually argue that magnesium and potassium are bad for anyone. Just that it's maybe not a beginner concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

 

1-2 pounds a week is the recommended rate. Three pounds a week is what you're looking at there, and I think you'll find it tough. (To be honest, two pounds a week can be very tough)

Oh for sure. I'm familiar with the 1-2 pounds deal. 10 - 12 is what I'm shooting for and if I don't make it, that's fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, leglocker said:

1. For Whom the Bell Tolls

During a podcast interview, Eddie Bravo black belt, Denny Prokopos discussed the benefits of implementing kettlebell training. He mentions that after numerous injuries, his knees just couldn't handle the impact from running. He has since replaced running with kettlebells which he swears by as it gives him both strength and cardio training.  The benefits of gaining some strength would be great and since I hate running anyway, I'll be able to hit that too. 

Kettlebells are awesome!  I have found the swing to be one of the best movements around and if your knees will allow goblet squats,, those are awesome too.  Just try not to get caught up in the weight game.  Move the weight up slowly and keep your form perfect.  I believe kettlebell training is something that most people could do to very ripe old age. Pavel and Dan John are two of the kettlebell experts that I follow.  Dan John has some crazy kettlebell workouts posted online that will certainly give strength and cardio gains.  Like @Kishi said, just be careful of over training.  I have fallen into that trap more than once an often knock myself out of hard training for a week.

 

Good luck at your competition coming up.  Go get em!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okie dokie. Tomorrow's the day. I'm going to bed after "Cities in Dust" ends and get a good night's sleep in. Ready for action tomorrow.  I haven't competed in about 5 or 6 years and I'll be taking a step up into the next experience level.  While I definitely consider myself a grappler now.  Most of my training at MMA gyms were in Muay Thai.  I'm nervous and excited at the same time.  I got my gear all ready. Gonna be wearing this bad boy tomorrow.

image.png.bc192791a74b0adc1a0b250925f9f053.png

image.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice challenge! Everyone has pretty much said what I would say. As for the cleaning, I found telling myself to clean 5minutes a day really made a difference in my apartment. I usually ended up cleaning a bit more, but after a couple weeks my rooommate commented about how amazingly clean the apartment was. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, leglocker said:

Okie dokie. Tomorrow's the day. I'm going to bed after "Cities in Dust" ends and get a good night's sleep in. Ready for action tomorrow.  I haven't competed in about 5 or 6 years and I'll be taking a step up into the next experience level.  While I definitely consider myself a grappler now.  Most of my training at MMA gyms were in Muay Thai.  I'm nervous and excited at the same time.  I got my gear all ready. Gonna be wearing this bad boy tomorrow.

image.png.bc192791a74b0adc1a0b250925f9f053.png

image.png

Wow it's fate, you have a Ravenclaw emblem on your sleeve! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, leglocker said:

Okie dokie. Tomorrow's the day. I'm going to bed after "Cities in Dust" ends and get a good night's sleep in. Ready for action tomorrow.  I haven't competed in about 5 or 6 years and I'll be taking a step up into the next experience level.  While I definitely consider myself a grappler now.  Most of my training at MMA gyms were in Muay Thai.  I'm nervous and excited at the same time.  I got my gear all ready. Gonna be wearing this bad boy tomorrow.

image.png.bc192791a74b0adc1a0b250925f9f053.png

image.png

 

15 minutes ago, Endor said:

Wow it's fate, you have a Ravenclaw emblem on your sleeve! 

 

Is it? I totally went Nightwing myself, but I can definitely see it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Is it? I totally went Nightwing myself, but I can definitely see it.

While I might not be factually accurate, we'll overlook that for the sake of destiny and dramatic effect ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Endor said:

Wow it's fate, you have a Ravenclaw emblem on your sleeve! 

I was crossing my fingers for Ravenclaw too.

 

14 hours ago, Teirin said:

How was the tournament?  Hope it went well!

I think it went well. Definitely not the outcome I wanted,  but I had fun and made new friends. Here's a picture of my medal. 

 

IMG_20180318_162733_396.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stepping out of comfort zones and doing things not typical is always great!  Absolutely horrifying, but great.

 

It's one of the things that is driving me this year to go to a bunch of seminars to train with people I normally couldn't see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gym opens at 5AM. To kick this challenge off right, I woke up at 4 to get some of the chores stuff out of the way. I washed some dishes and made myself one of those bulletproof coffees I've heard so much about. This one consisted of coffee, a tablespoon of butter, and a tablespoon of coconut oil. I think the coconut oil was a little much otherwise I enjoyed it.  I got to the gym a little after 5. Around 5:05.  I stretched and warmed up.  

 

My kettlebell workout consisted of the Simple and Sinister that @Kishi recommended. It 10x10 Kettlebell Swings and 10x1 Turkish Get Ups. At first, I thought, this wasn't such a big deal, but towards the end I realized my shirt was fairly damp and I was breathing fairly heavily. I mean I was probably still able to hold a conversation with someone.  6AM rolled around and it was Jiu-Jitsu time. Monday, Wednesday, Friday are Gi days in the morning so, I worked some gi.  It was fun rolling around in a gi again. My tournament was a no gi tournament, so I was rolling around in shorts and a rash guard a whole lot more.  I mainly drilled, but had two good rolls in. 

 

I'm killing the hydration part of the challenge. I finished three bottles by the time I got home and maybe half of another after work. Remember, this is my 40 oz. waterbottle not like those plastic bottled waters.  

 

Just to give us a baseline, I weighed in at 251.5 lbs. The kettlebells were done with an 18kg for the swings and an 8kg for the Turkish Get Ups.  I know Pavel suggested using 54 and 35, but that wasn't going to happen without sacrificing form which he also stressed as being the most important thing.  Still gave me an awesome workout.  

 

As for reading....Time to go to bed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, leglocker said:

My kettlebell workout consisted of the Simple and Sinister that @Kishi recommended. It 10x10 Kettlebell Swings and 10x1 Turkish Get Ups. At first, I thought, this wasn't such a big deal, but towards the end I realized my shirt was fairly damp and I was breathing fairly heavily. I mean I was probably still able to hold a conversation with someone.

 

It's a deceptive kind of program. It's about taking strength and making it easy, and it feels way easier than it should. You'll think to yourself that you're getting nothing, until you begin to notice as you graduate to heavier and heavier weights that you never quite seem to get tired. Things that you lift outside of the gym will get easier to lift as well.

 

9 hours ago, leglocker said:

Just to give us a baseline, I weighed in at 251.5 lbs. The kettlebells were done with an 18kg for the swings and an 8kg for the Turkish Get Ups.  I know Pavel suggested using 54 and 35, but that wasn't going to happen without sacrificing form which he also stressed as being the most important thing.  Still gave me an awesome workout.  

 

Yup and yup. Kettlebells do not reward heavy work unless your form is perfect. You must have perfect technique before you graduate to the heavier weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't run the dishwasher the previous day because it was only half full (or half empty if you wanna think about it that way) and that would be a huge waste. I made sure that the sink was empty of dishes though which is really the point of that part of the challenge.  I read American Gods before bed.  

 

Yesterday I woke up pretty late. I hit the snooze button a bunch of times and got a late start to the morning. I still got into my gym at around 5:15 - 5:20 and got the kettlebells going. I was a little sore from the previous day.  Then it was on to Jiu-Jitsu. As noted in my schedule in a previous post, Tuesday and Thursday are No Gi days in the AM. I felt the best I felt in Jiu-Jitsu.  We did king of the mountain and today...I was the king of the mountain!

image.png.a480863585bf1e9bac6ec2c93dc562ec.png

I walked away with three submissions all via straight achilles locks. My coach noted that while I still need to be more active when in bad situations, he saw that I was settling a little less which is improvement.  At work, I started to feel more of the soreness from the kettlebells.  A staple remover fell and it hurt so bad bending down to pick it up.  I guess that's what happens when you don't do any strength and conditioning outside of Jiu-Jitsu. 

image.png.8f08f39e408e4005b70b3e4e53472dff.png

 

Today, I weighed in at 250 again. I'm sure that this is all water weight loss and not real actual weight loss, but hey. I'll take it. I emptied the dishwasher and kept the sink clear. I have a doctor's appointment, so I had to switch shifts with a co-worker so I'll have to work the early shift (6-3) instead of my usual (9-6) so no training in the morning. But I'll try to make it to the evening class and get it in. It would be no gi. I'll try for kettlebells after. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now