• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Looking good! Don't be afraid to take rest if you need to. Recovery is probably the most important part of training, because if you don't recover proper, you don't get the adaptations you've undertaken the training for. Although, that being said, if you're really new to kettlebells, well, that'll pass in time. :)

• Like 1

So yesterday, I took the opportunity of getting off work early for my doctors appointment to get a haircut. It took a little longer than expected and my laziness settled in. No excuses, I took the day off. Something must have happened to my knee, maybe it's the rain. 

Today, I got to the gym same time as Tuesday. I figured I had time to get the kettlebells in. Unfortunately the class last night didn't bother to clean the mats. Pretty gross with old sweat and what I hope are leg hairs.  So, I swept the mats and cleaned them with bleach as fast as I could and it was kind of like a quick cardio session. I was definitely warmed up for kettlebells. I managed to somehow sneak in the whole workout. Granted, I wasn't satisfied because I'm sure my form suffered.  For the Turkish Get Ups, I did 2 reps instead of 1 per set. 

I led warm ups today which isn't something we usually  do. We usually wait for our coach to show up, but I figured since he always comes in 5 minutes late, I'll start warm ups so we have more time to devote towards technique. It worked out, but there's something up with my right knee.  I have this shooting pain and my doctor previously said it was a hamstring issue and I need to stretch it more.  Maybe next challenge I'll try to do some yoga or something.  We drilled a Torreando Pass which was pretty basic. We broke down the keylock/americana. I didn't roll because I didn't have a knee brace and didn't want to risk further injury to my knee.  Throughout the day I could feel it cracking. My coach also recommended that I get an ankle brace and put it on the same leg. I ordered both from Amazon.  

Oh, as for the weight. I weighed in at 248.5 this morning. Feeling good!

• Like 2

Good to see that the weight's down! I hope the knee doesn't turn out to be anything. Not rolling was probably the right thing to do.

• Like 1

On Saturday I hit up WonderCon. I got some good deals on some stuff. I bought this Red Hood Statue for 60 bucks. Unfortunately when I got home, it was broken. I was so pissed.  I ended up walking like 6 miles that day so, got some points in the Harry Potter PVP challenge and the walk to Mordor.  I went to an open mat on Sunday with a friend that was visiting from Denver. One of the dudes that I competed against at the tournament was there.  So we got to roll around a bit too a bit of a rematch that I was able to get the better of him that time around. It was a lot of fun and I felt good. I felt that I could hang with the majority of the people in that room. Weight-wise, as of Sunday I was 248 even. So a total of 3.5 weight lost.  

This morning I got in and did my kettlebells. The usual 8 2-handed and 1 on each hand singles.  I finished up a little early and decided to practice my shots a bit.  As people started trickling in, I started up the warm ups.  We worked on passing knee shields into side control and full mount and the detail I remember most is after moving the knee out of the way is to slither up like a snake. My coach, Ali, actually made a Harry Potter reference. "You wanna be Slytherin, not Gryffindor." I told him what's up. Ravenclaw represent! When it came to the rolling part of class, I felt that I moved really well. I think I was able to get out of bad situations a lot faster. One thing I definitely noticed is that my training partners also had more of a sense of urgency as well. I'm excited about that because better training partners will make me better too.  

Diet-wise, Saturday I ate some barbecue from a food truck. It was okay, and I don't feel bad about it.  I worked hard throughout this week.  Yesterday however, my friend from San Diego was in the area so I took my lunch break a bit early and went to eat with him.  We had Korean Fried Chicken. It was delicious, but having my cheat/free meals so close together isn't something I wanted in hindsight.

On 3/25/2018 at 4:46 PM, Machete said:

Cool stuff. I also happen to be training someone for an upcoming IBJJF tournament using Simple & Sinister. He's already seeing the WTH effects.

Nice. Good luck to him.  

On 3/25/2018 at 5:58 PM, Elastigirl said:

Checking in because I read the word kettlebells and SImple and Sinister. You are doing great. I love the Simple and Sinister workout.

Thanks. I'm really enjoying it so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leglocker said:

Diet-wise, Saturday I ate some barbecue from a food truck. It was okay, and I don't feel bad about it.  I worked hard throughout this week.  Yesterday however, my friend from San Diego was in the area so I took my lunch break a bit early and went to eat with him.  We had Korean Fried Chicken. It was delicious, but having my cheat/free meals so close together isn't something I wanted in hindsight.

Yeah, man, that's an annoying thing that I haven't worked out a way around either. I don't have much incentive to break with my diet, so when I do, it's typically because I'm with other people. The best way I've figured to get around that is to take the extra food as an opportunity to go over on optimal food choices as well; I find that when I do that, I just feel better.

Kettlebells are still swingin'! I think I'm getting to the point where I might start looking into increasing weight.  Maybe I'll do it on Monday to start a whole new week and make sure I'm not just feeling it. I'm getting compliments on my strength and dedication. Jiu-Jitsu-wise we're working on X-Guard and De La Riva and Ashi-Garami which all can be linked to my game of leg locking fools. A purple belt that has been tapping me over and over with intense pressure, I managed to get him this morning which it shouldn't feel good, but I'm not gonna lie, it felt really effing good.  

I'm trying to recruit people in my gym to do kettlebells with me because it might be more fun to do kettlebells with someone else.  I'm still really enjoying the kettlebells and maybe I'll start looking into working on getting certified. That's a long ways down though.  

Thanks guys and gals for following. The support is really helping motivate me to stay active on this challenge.  

• Like 3

Well, that's what we're here for. :)

2 hours ago, leglocker said:

A purple belt that has been tapping me over and over with intense pressure, I managed to get him this morning which it shouldn't feel good, but I'm not gonna lie, it felt really effing good.

Yeah. I get it. It almost feels inappropriate to feel that way, but when you manage to answer high pressure... it's satisfying.

2 hours ago, leglocker said:

I'm trying to recruit people in my gym to do kettlebells with me because it might be more fun to do kettlebells with someone else.  I'm still really enjoying the kettlebells and maybe I'll start looking into working on getting certified. That's a long ways down though

Kettlebells are a cult, but there's a reason for the devotion. Very nice!

• Like 1

Oh man. I'm seriously getting the WTH moments that @Machete posted about. I'm noticing not just an increase in my strength (Not actually measured) but I also feel faster, more agile, and have a lot more stamina.  I feel myself needing fewer actual water breaks yet I'm still properly hydrating myself. I've been pretty good with those portions of my challenge this month.  

1. For Whom the Bell Tolls

I think I'm doing great with this part of the challenge. I've done the Simple and Sinister program 4 days last week and 3 days so far this week.  I am noticing a callous forming in my left hand. So I'll probably ask the Warrior's Guild for tips on what to do for it or maybe alternative training. I'll also review that chapter in Pavel's book. 

2. The Key to Better Jiu Jitsu is More Jiu Jitsu.

I think I can probably improve on this part of the challenge. I think I'm doing fine. I've gone to four classes last week and one open mat last week. I've gone to three classes this week so far. I really think that I can do 5 classes during the week.  I've honestly just been lazy about it.  

3. The Element That Brings Life

There's been days where I've let myself get a little dehydrated. Instead of drinking the 120 oz. that I had planned, I drank 80 oz. I get busy at work sometimes and just forget. I need to make it more of a habit to drink more water. 

Mental Goal - Read More

This part of the challenge is kind of a wreck. I haven't really been reading before bed. I have my book on my nightstand but I've been optioning to play video games or mess around on my phone before bed.  I need to refocus and get back to it. I'll start tonight!

Lifestyle - There's Something About a Clean House, a Clean Room. 

I've been pretty good about this for the most part. I've missed some days here and there and yesterday it actually piled up a bit. Wife beat me to doing the dishes, but she's going to be at some event for work tonight so I'll be able to do some cleaning around the house.  

So, I wanted to do a little reflection and actually type out how my challenge is going so I can refocus and improve what I'm not doing so great on.  Like reading and doing the dishes. I think the physical stuff has been fairly easy.  Oh, weighed in this morning at 245.5 to add to my motivation.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, leglocker said:

I think I'm doing great with this part of the challenge. I've done the Simple and Sinister program 4 days last week and 3 days so far this week.  I am noticing a callous forming in my left hand. So I'll probably ask the Warrior's Guild for tips on what to do for it or maybe alternative training. I'll also review that chapter in Pavel's book.

O'Keefe's hand cream. It has a 'proper manly name' per Pavel's protocols, and it freaking works like gangbusters.

But yeah, man, glad to see that things are going well physically. Now we just gotta get that reading back on track. It'd be better for you than phones and videogames anyway.

Also! Clean up your house! It makes the place look good and feel good to live in!

• Like 1

So, I've been having knee pain in my right knee for the past few weeks. It started bothering me consistently after the tournament.   Last night I felt my knee pull along with three pops.  I was just walking turning a corner.  The pain was pretty was so bad that I had to go see my doctor. I told him that back in 2009 I had torn my meniscus from training jumping guard.  I described the movements, he felt my knee and gave me the bad news.  My ACL was torn. He believes that I had torn it back in 2009 and it didn't really heal fully and somehow my body compensated.  I'm scheduled for an MRI next Friday to see exactly the degree of the tear and hopefully it's just a partial.  He says I could probably still train, but just wear a knee brace and go easy.  Sucks, but looks like the physical part of this challenge is going to have to be adjusted. 

• Sad 1

Okay, so I trained everyday last week.  I felt my jiu-jitsu getting a lot better with speed and athleticism.  I attribute it to the consistency of my training. I don't think I ever went less than 5 days a week during the duration of the challenge. I cleaned up my diet a little bit but did have days where I just went nuts. One of those days being when my doctor said I tore my ACL.  I ended up having pizza and all this other junk food. I still managed to drop 10 pounds.  I was able to get back into doing the dishes daily and while my house still needs some cleaning, it's building habits.  The only part of the challenge I feel I've failed is the reading part.  I still need to read more before bed.  

Anyway, thank you all for the support during this challenge. I had my MRI on Friday and we'll see what the results are so I can start planning the next one. 

• Like 2

*crossed fingers* for your MRI results.

Good work this challenge!  That's a lot of training in.  Once you have a few new goals established, it'll make working on others easier.  

Good work! Way to get around the busted ACL. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix.

But yeah, otherwise, good work!