Mad Hatter climbs to the top

Mad Hatter

oh my, sorry to hear about the work blues 

But feeling broken from climbing ist just meaning new muscles growing, isn't it?! AND look at all those pullup MPs from the weekend, wow!

Rest your body nicely while you're training them mental muscles :)

BEASTLY strong in work games, you'll be

Sending soothing hugs anyway :cheerful:

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Monday is already not going well. 

I slept badly for the second day in a row.

I did not feel like doing my pull ups this morning. I still feel broken after last week's climbing so I'm taking an early rest day. 

Some moron product owner at the parent company has been touching my tasks even though he knows shit about my work AND has been explicitly told not to. I'm proud to say I managed to restrict myself to only writing one snarky comment.

Eugh can I go home already!

awww tough start :(

Wish you best of luck and a lot of energy!

Be like water my friend

I can't wait until I can afford to learn how to climb. It sounds like so much fun! There's a free climbing wall here in Columbus Ohio but you need your own climbing equipment to use it *sigh*. 

I don't understand very much about this climbing talk (break the beta?!) but I am excited you got new shoes! that said, when you were like: no holes! I spent a few minutes thinking about the benefits of having different types of holes on climbing shoes (which I have never worn) and if they're good for ventilation / whatnot and then I realized OH YOU MEAN ACTUAL HOLES LIKE FROM WEAR AND USE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:58 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Oh and I stretched my shoulders after climbing and did one whole bridge. :P 

Yay for stretching and bridges!! I'm falling behind, I keep forgetting the bridges thing.

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:
6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Monday is already not going well. 

I slept badly for the second day in a row.

I did not feel like doing my pull ups this morning. I still feel broken after last week's climbing so I'm taking an early rest day. 

Some moron product owner at the parent company has been touching my tasks even though he knows shit about my work AND has been explicitly told not to. I'm proud to say I managed to restrict myself to only writing one snarky comment.

Ugh bummer on this!! What garbage! I hope that product owner learns to stay in his lane real quick.

12 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I don't understand very much about this climbing talk (break the beta?!) 

Same question here LOL I was also wondering, what is this?

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Yay new shoes and good climbing sessions! Pull-up programs always get so aggressive so fast... I assume because they are normally programmed for dudes, idk.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

5 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

oh my, sorry to hear about the work blues 

But feeling broken from climbing ist just meaning new muscles growing, isn't it?! AND look at all those pullup MPs from the weekend, wow!

Rest your body nicely while you're training them mental muscles :)

BEASTLY strong in work games, you'll be

Sending soothing hugs anyway :cheerful:

Thanks. The soothing hugs were much appreciated, but didn't help. Basically this was me today:

a156196948becfaef1b64cb8af0af660_400x400

You're right, I am broken from climbing, but it's in a good way. :) I'm pushing hard again and it's fun and hopefully I'm getting stronger!

5 hours ago, Norgaard said:

awww tough start :(

Wish you best of luck and a lot of energy!

Thanks dude!

3 hours ago, Ba'sini'on said:

I can't wait until I can afford to learn how to climb. It sounds like so much fun! There's a free climbing wall here in Columbus Ohio but you need your own climbing equipment to use it *sigh*. 

It is brilliant fun! Hope you get to try soon.

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

I don't understand very much about this climbing talk (break the beta?!) but I am excited you got new shoes! that said, when you were like: no holes! I spent a few minutes thinking about the benefits of having different types of holes on climbing shoes (which I have never worn) and if they're good for ventilation / whatnot and then I realized OH YOU MEAN ACTUAL HOLES LIKE FROM WEAR AND USE.

HAHAHA yeah some holes are good. Like the one where you put your feet in. When the toe box has split it's less good. :D 

(Plus they smell SO bad, it's really time for new ones)

1 hour ago, Happienumber said:

Yay for stretching and bridges!! I'm falling behind, I keep forgetting the bridges thing.

Ugh bummer on this!! What garbage! I hope that product owner learns to stay in his lane real quick.

Same question here LOL I was also wondering, what is this?

You can't possibly be falling behind, it's day 1 :D 

It only took two snarky messages to make him shut up today, pretty pleased about that. ;) 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Yay new shoes and good climbing sessions! Pull-up programs always get so aggressive so fast... I assume because they are normally programmed for dudes, idk.

I think so too, and not just dudes but specifically lean, athletic 20 year old dudes. I'd be interested to see results for both and women of different ages and starting points and at which point they had to reset. think I might already have to modify the program after only 4 days days as I don't think I'll be able to do the 4 prescribed pull ups yet!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think so too, and not just dudes but specifically lean, athletic 20 year old dudes. I'd be interested to see results for both and women of different ages and starting points and at which point they had to reset. think I might already have to modify the program after only 4 days days as I don't think I'll be able to do the 4 prescribed pull ups yet!

Yeah, definitely. The types of people that google "how to do 20 pull-ups" usually, hahah. 

I'd love to see the results of something like that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Climbing lingo 101: :) 

Beta = sequence of moves

Intended beta = the sequence that the route setters had in mind when they created the problem

(Problem = bloc = boulder (when outside) ≈ route (had it been on a rope climb))

Breaking the beta = finding an alternative sequence to the intended beta that the route setters haven't though of. For example, say the climb is set with a dyno (a jump). Someone who hates dynos might try to break the beta say using a foothold as a handhold to move statically (using strength rather than momentum), in order to avoid the hard move. This changes the whole nature of the climb so good route setters do their best to anticipate how people with different strengths and body types will climb the problem and try to force them to do the move more or less the way they want it. One of my friends is very tall, extremely light, and very good at jumping, and he quite often manages to completely avoid doing the hard moves by simply skipping the holds he doesn't like. To our great annoyance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Week 1 Day 1

Because of my stabby mood and lack of sleep I decided to take another full rest day. I did do some adulting (go me!) and now I'm going to lazy foam roll/stretch in bed so that I can get at least 1 MP today. ;) 

Resetting the counters:

Mental game Try hard 0/0, tiny wins 0/0

Beastly strength Pull ups 0/50 MP, abs 0/20 MP

Drop back 1/20 MP

Sewing project - Not yet

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

did not feel like doing my pull ups this morning. I still feel broken after last week's climbing so I'm taking an early rest day. 

I wasn't doing climbing while doing the Fighter program, so you may need more breaks then what I took. But what I did was take Wednesdays, and Sundays off. That puts you a bit behind their schedule, but it seemed more do- able to me. I also took longer breaks in between them if I needed. I have a pull up bar in my laundry room, so I can do the reps when I  pass by it.

I said this program worked for me. BUt no program have I achieved what they said I could. I started out barely eeking out 3, and then was able to get to do a solid 4. So progress, but not anything super amazingly dramatic. I also did some swtich gripping, some days doing pull, some days chin.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Climbing + pullup programme sounds like a lot. I also never managed anything extraordinary with those programmes. And I'm thinking that half of the progress was just because I had lost some weight for instance  :huh:  And then, I don't like high reps very much either, so maybe the motivation was not there really. I am more attracted by weighted pullups if anything.

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

16 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I wasn't doing climbing while doing the Fighter program, so you may need more breaks then what I took. But what I did was take Wednesdays, and Sundays off. That puts you a bit behind their schedule, but it seemed more do- able to me. I also took longer breaks in between them if I needed. I have a pull up bar in my laundry room, so I can do the reps when I  pass by it.

I said this program worked for me. BUt no program have I achieved what they said I could. I started out barely eeking out 3, and then was able to get to do a solid 4. So progress, but not anything super amazingly dramatic. I also did some swtich gripping, some days doing pull, some days chin.

Nice. How did you adjust when you couldn't complete a day or a week? Did you repeat the week as prescribed or did you keep increasing the reps?

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

Climbing + pullup programme sounds like a lot. I also never managed anything extraordinary with those programmes. And I'm thinking that half of the progress was just because I had lost some weight for instance  :huh:  And then, I don't like high reps very much either, so maybe the motivation was not there really. I am more attracted by weighted pullups if anything.

Yeah I know it's going to interfere, and honestly I don't have big expectations. I just want to see what happens. :) And I want to challenge myself to follow a program. I'm also not at all interested in the super high reps, I think everything about 10 is overkill. For now I would be happy with... more than 3. ;) And I'd be super happy with more than 4, which is last year's and my all time PR.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nice. How did you adjust when you couldn't complete a day or a week? Did you repeat the week as prescribed or did you keep increasing the reps?

I was taking two days off instead of one day off a week, so I just adjusted the days, and whatever day I was on. Does that make sense? So even if it was technically day 8, but I was on the day 6 of the program, I just did that. Paying more attention to days than weeks helped me not stress about being "behind"

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 minute ago, Elastigirl said:

I was taking two days off instead of one day off a week, so I just adjusted the days, and whatever day I was on. Does that make sense? So even if it was technically day 8, but I was on the day 6 of the program, I just did that. Paying more attention to days than weeks helped me not stress about being "behind"

Sorry I meant what did you do if you were supposed to start the set with 5 reps or whatever, but you couldn't do more than 4?

12 hours ago, karinajean said:

Haha, I was totally confused about this too.  I was like, hmm, I wonder when they started putting holes in shoes, I don't remember that from my climbing days :D:D:D 

• Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Haha, I was totally confused about this too.  I was like, hmm, I wonder when they started putting holes in shoes, I don't remember that from my climbing days :D:D:D 

Haha what's wrong with you people? :P:D 

5 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I overheard two guys in the locker room yesterday -- one of them was trying on climbing shoes for the first time, and he was like "Wow, these are really tight and uncomfortable to walk in." His friend was going "Yeah, they're literally bad for everything except climbing."

Uncomfortable is quite the understatement. :P 

3 hours ago, tei_ said:

And forcing an evacuation of any room you choose due to shoe-smell :)

If only it were true in climbing gyms too!

Week 1 Day 2

Mental game was not strong today. Climbing was rubbish, I didn't finish a single thing, everything sucked and tantrums were thrown. Needless to say I failed pretty hard at my goal. :P But I'll do better next time.

Just about managed my pull ups this morning, but it wasn't pretty.

Mental game Try hard 1/1, tiny wins 0/1

Beastly strength Pull ups 3/50 MP, abs 0/20 MP

Drop back 1/20 MP

Sewing project - Not yet

• Like 2
On 19/03/2018 at 5:37 PM, raptron said:

Yeah, definitely. The types of people that google "how to do 20 pull-ups" usually, hahah. 

I'd love to see the results of something like that. 

Me too.  I’m convinced I’m an outlier, not being able to do a single pull up after soooo much training, but I suspect the research is light on non athletic, early middle age females...

2 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Me too.  I’m convinced I’m an outlier, not being able to do a single pull up after soooo much training, but I suspect the research is light on non athletic, early middle age females...

I’m almost certain you’re not an outlier! If you were, there wouldn’t have been such an internet shitstorm over whether or not women can actually do pull-ups at all. Answer: yes, just not generally over the course of an average-length study. 

• Like 3

Current challenge: Tei gets the zoomies 

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,  13, 14, 15, 16, 17