• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Teirin does Stuff

UPDATED.  So things are neither terrible nor great.  This challenge will be focused on resuming workouts as that is the big one.

Workout stuff: 5/week

Complete pushup challenge: just completed day 9 (15 pushups).  I had missed a few.

Do a matching number of goblet squats with a kettlebell:  300 Bronze, 350 Silver, 400 Gold for Shotokan's challenge

Stretch and foam roll

Bonus:  get the stupid pullup tower assembled

Not exactly a full workout but the basics.  I'm leaving Thursday and Friday out as they are tightly scheduled and I'd rather try to get to bed than include this.

Food Stuff: 6/week

Continue with limited sweets:  dark chocolate, sweetened Greek yogurt, a bit of honey in oatmeal with tart fruit, or low sugar homemade muffins

But not all of them in a day and smallish servings of any of them.  A full sized big dark chocolate bar still counts as a big treat.

It's fine to have an extra treat one day per week :-) 

This worked well last challenge and my weight is trending back down.

Sleep Stuff: 7/week

Either read or music daily before bed.  Or meditate/journal. Relaxing stuff only. 

Vacation Stuff: To do list

• Book hotel
  • Book flights
  • Train ticket from Ottawa to Montreal?
  • Slightly reschedule vacation time
  • check out other things to do in Montreal
  • Borrow a friends theft-resistant purse*
  • Budget some spending money

*Mostly to make assorted people feel better. 

• Like 9

So it seems that The Combine is playing in town.  I'd see that.  It's in town the day after the Kamelot concert, for which I need to go out of town.  Will see.

Listen for the prog, watch for the cheesetastic video.

• Like 3

Ye do need the lyin' doon, accordin' to yer last thread. An' all that strength is guid fer the fightin', y'ken. Then yer stealin' some ships and coos tae replace yer sweeties.

Tell me, d'ye need tae do any drinkin' this challenge? ;)

I bought a 20 lb kettlebell!  Found it on sale at the grocery store on sale for 24 CAD.  Probably not the best quality but it'll work alright.  I have been wanting one but have either: not found it, found it but I couldn't transport it home at the time (I have no car), or couldn't justify the price at the time.  It has been named Kelly by my friend.  Works for me.  It joins Isla (15 lbs) in my home gym.

A friend (who several of you may remember) was visiting and she took me out to get some apartment stuff with her truck.  I also got some mats for the entry way and boot storage, more dishes (tough ones to survive me), teflon tape so I can install the new shower head I bought ages ago,  and a few Lagostina frying pans for 15 CAD each because mine were in shit shape. 

So I spent some money but got some much needed stuff almost all on sale.  The mats and some cute new mugs were a gift from my friend :-)

My apartment is generally clean enough right now that I can get some of the longer-standing but less urgent to-do list sorted.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Ye do need the lyin' doon, accordin' to yer last thread. An' all that strength is guid fer the fightin', y'ken. Then yer stealin' some ships and coos tae replace yer sweeties.

Tell me, d'ye need tae do any drinkin' this challenge? ;)

I do need the sleep and the reading helps.  Wee Free Men is good pre-bed reading so I'm working on that and some Barakamon manga before bed. Thanks!

Doing pretty good with the drinkin' right now.  I always have a water bottle with me and I go through 2-3 litres per day.  I don't drink much of anything else.  Some tea sometimes.  Occasionally a bit of vodka.  Counts right?

• Like 1

*waves*

Also going to throw out bedtime pod cast listening is another awesome way to end the night. Been one of the nicer unwind things I’ve been playing with. 

• Like 1

Challenge is updated. 

I tried out the mini-workout at 15 reps and it went well:

Stretching

3 set of 5 pushups, 5 goblet squats with 15lbs, ~1 min rest of brushing a kitty

Foam rolling and a bit more stretching.

Got a few chores in and made good food today.  Going to try and settle down at 10:30 to read before sleeping.  Wee Free Men is hilarious and Barakamon continues to be relaxing.

Booked the hotel: Found a place a reasonable distance from the venue that fits my requirements.  Booked the night before the concert as well so I can wander around some and not be crunched for time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

*waves*

Also going to throw out bedtime pod cast listening is another awesome way to end the night. Been one of the nicer unwind things I’ve been playing with. 

Thanks!  Podcasts have been off my radar for a while.  Should check out what's around now.

Day 1:

Workout stuff:  done, 15 reps again today  Total:  15

Food stuff:  I ate a bit too much chocolate to call it good.  Not done.  Otherwise good food day.

Sleep stuff:  I read for a while before bed last night.  CHEEP.

Vacation stuff:  accidentally scheduled something too close. Need to fix it.

So my pushups are shit right now.  I used to be able to do them but now apparently need to relearn.  Ok.  Going to elevate them a bit until they feel right.  Squats feel great.  Should increase to Kelly next time. 

RH feels the need to add pullups (specifically) to my workout this week.  Will try and get the tower up sooner rather than later. 

My shoulders muscle knots are acting up, likely due to my slow descent out of sloth.  Checking out some more shoulder maintenance stuff from my preferred sources. 

RH also thinks it's a good time for full calorie counting.  I should do this, and started today.  I'm not thrilled, but it's been a while and I could stand to re-calibrate now that I'm no longer walking up the hill at least some days.

• Like 3

I mean, I can get out annoying it would be to re-calibrate and get things dialed in, but data is useful for that kind of thing.

Also, re: push ups, it's completely okay to regress to progress. Strength is about dominant, virtuous work; you own the movement or it owns you. Movements make bad owners. So own it and progress when it's time.

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

I mean, I can get out annoying it would be to re-calibrate and get things dialed in, but data is useful for that kind of thing.

Also, re: push ups, it's completely okay to regress to progress. Strength is about dominant, virtuous work; you own the movement or it owns you. Movements make bad owners. So own it and progress when it's time.

Oh, it's good data and it's high time i counted calories again to check on things.  That simply does nothing to change my general reaction of :  "fuck, another thing to deal with."  I do, at least, still have my cronometer.com account and it remembers a lot of the food I eat very commonly.  My general eating patterns haven't really changed except for the recent excess of sweets, so setup pain is very low.  And I still don't need to touch MFP, which I hated.  

Yep, they have fallen far and I need to fix stuff.  It happens.

Morning started late today.  I apparently hit Off instead of Snooze and woke up 30 min later.  Ooops.

Stuff to handle tonight:

Sweep and wash the floors - direly overdue

Pickup bananas - stock is low

Make muffins - optional but those bananas are for baking only now and we have an impending storm for Thursday

Assemble the tower - optional but good

Something else that I can't remember but is probably important..... Iron something to wear tomorrow as we have a guest at work.

Edit again, but look at this adorable little scrap!

wB5iF00.gif

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Morning started late today.  I apparently hit Off instead of Snooze and woke up 30 min later.  Ooops.

I hate when that happens...my wife has a new(er) dog that will no longer allow this sleeping in stuff though :(  does help on mornings where I have to be up, but still irritating 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RES said:

I hate when that happens...my wife has a new(er) dog that will no longer allow this sleeping in stuff though :(  does help on mornings where I have to be up, but still irritating 

I mourn for the loss of your sleep :-(  I hope the dog is super cute though!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Teirin said:

I mourn for the loss of your sleep :-(  I hope the dog is super cute though!

It would be easier if she wasn't...but she is...*sighs* 

• Like 2

Day 2:

Workout stuff:  done, 15 reps again today  Total:  30 - forgot to upgrade to Kelly

Food stuff:  Done.  Good food day.

Sleep stuff:  Read before bed.  Done.

Vacation stuff:  one flight is booked. I'm flying in and out of different cities so I couldn't get the other flight on the same seat sale. 

Picked up bananas and did nothing else :-(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Teirin said:

Picked up bananas crossed off the list! Bam! Fresh fruit and future muffins! Snow storm food sorted.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Teirin said:

Nah, way to be prepared when food is unavailable. I'm thinking this way on account of seeing snow this morning; I imagine there shall soon be panic in the streets.

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Picked up bananas crossed off the list! Bam! Fresh fruit and future muffins! Snow storm food sorted.

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Nah, way to be prepared when food is unavailable. I'm thinking this way on account of seeing snow this morning; I imagine there shall soon be panic in the streets.

That's true.  We've been downgraded from lots of snow to maybe 10-15 cm (no big deal).  What we actually get is anyone's guess.  Making muffins tonight.

A few days of food tracking has me mostly on target.  I am eating a bit too much trail mix as a snack and it's putting me over.  Will decrease the container size for that.  Otherwise, I remain apparently low on potassium and iron.  Known problems :-/  Protein/Carb/Fat is roughly on target of 20/50/30, fiber is running a bit low at ~25-30g/day.  Complication:  tracking started while I'm on the hungry part of my period.  I did end up going over by a large spoonful of peanut butter to get to sleep last night.   Worked though. 

I did stay up too late reading and finished Wee Free Men.  That would be the risk of pre-bed reading, sometimes I feel like I need the book to settle my brain more than the sleep.  It was an otherwise good night.

• Like 2

Day 3:

Workout stuff:  done, 17 reps today  Total:  47 - upgraded to Kelly

Food stuff:  Done.  See notes

Sleep stuff:  Read before bed (too late).  Done.

Vacation stuff:  nothing done today

Pushups felt much better today!  Not entirely sure why.  Maybe just settling back into it?  Trying them elevated yesterday felt all sorts of off.  Will continue to work on them on the floor.  Squats with 20lbs were fine.

Food was mostly good today.  I am discovering that an apple and a small tin of tuna make a great afternoon snack.  I did want all of the junk chocolate today.  Could be period cravings, could be that I just like chocolate a lot.  I had 2 oz. of dark chocolate.  Calling that good.  My iron hit 100% today?  Definitely over on calories though.  Oh well.

I have been reminded of how much I enjoy Nia Shanks' blog.

Got some chores sorted and am settling in with my sparkly new playtest pdf for the new Alternity edition :-D 

On the off chance that we do get a serious storm tomorrow, the dishes are done, I have easily munchable good food, and my cell phone, ipad, and backup battery are all charged.  Not exactly worried, but it's never a bad plan to be prepared.

• Like 3

One of the weird things about daily exercise is that feeling comes and goes. The performance that you get will also ebb and flow. The true value, then, is in showing up. Hard training > easy training > no training, after all.

Way to go controlling the chocolate cravings! I know that this can be difficult. Control is not easy. So way to get that managed with the dark stuff.

Here's hoping the storm isn't terrible!