• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Teirin does Stuff

I'm still in shock seeing your kitten play with a comb!

How does a feline not associate a comb with torture?

Bizarre.  Only possibly explanation is that it isn't actually a cat - its some computer scientist's automation pretending to be a cat.

No other possible explanation.

Good luck with the weather.  Muffins, charged technology, luck, kitten.  It'll be fine!  Good luck all the same.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, Kishi said:

One of the weird things about daily exercise is that feeling comes and goes. The performance that you get will also ebb and flow. The true value, then, is in showing up. Hard training > easy training > no training, after all.

Way to go controlling the chocolate cravings! I know that this can be difficult. Control is not easy. So way to get that managed with the dark stuff.

Here's hoping the storm isn't terrible!

Yep, just glad it's not completely gone!  I was rather slothlike for quite some time.  That said, my shoulder is a LOT less painful these days.  So there's that.  Glad to be getting back into it and feeling it's good.

Bonus:  it seems that I had estimated wrong.  It was 1 oz, not 2.  Even better.

We were just outside of it.  Barely a dusting of snow.  Further East got slapped around some.  No major problems.

23 hours ago, Lou_be_Lou said:

I'm still in shock seeing your kitten play with a comb!

How does a feline not associate a comb with torture?

Bizarre.  Only possibly explanation is that it isn't actually a cat - its some computer scientist's automation pretending to be a cat.

No other possible explanation.

Good luck with the weather.  Muffins, charged technology, luck, kitten.  It'll be fine!  Good luck all the same.

That is sadly not my kitten.  I just like kitten gifs.  Both of mine do like to be brushed.  One loooves it.  I try and brush her every day because she enjoys it so much.  We also suspect she has Wolverine level regeneration for fur.  

All was well!  Didn't even hold up game night!

Thursday and Friday:

Workout stuff: Thursdays and Fridays are omitted from pushup and kettlebell plans.

Food stuff: Good food both days, a bit of extra dark chocolate again yesterday.  Still passing.

Sleep stuff:  I was reading Alernity PDF before bed....  Will count it.

Vacation stuff:  nothing further.

Still mulling over updated Alternity rules.  Not really happy with them.  Everything else is looking great.  I have also sorted out some house rules that should fix some of the bigger problems.  Will resume running in 2 weeks and test them out then.  Primary complaint is that for a system that frequently and explicitly states that characters are very competent, their dice system doesn't really reflect that.  Very high failure rate on rolls.  They have stuff in there about marginal successes and failure not really being failure, but that's also a break from how they run combat.  Same dice setup, different interpretations.  Re-reading it and see if I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

Alternity sounds an awful lot like Harnmaster to me. Lots of marginal success, marginal failure isn't the end of the world, and your supposedly competent characters can die with, just, so little effort.

It can be a pretty big change, and it requires a certain amount of sadistic glee to play, but it can be fun with the right crowd.

Like the various Warhammer tabletop systems, only without the B-movie style hyperviolence? 

WRT optional rules: They're proposing a "glancing blow" optional rule in my 5E game I'm not a huge fan of mainly because I feel like 5E already does D&D with kid gloves on (seriously, our poor GM has to give us encounters that are CR4-5 levels above us to give us any kind of challenge for minibosses and our boss battles typically have CR6+ above our level - though that could just be because my group is, with the exception of one of the guys, a bunch of engineering and math nerds who damn near get hives at the idea of purposefully building a suboptimal character because most of us are exactly that kind of nerd who finds reverse-engineering and exploiting the statistics of the game system fun - we'll still build our characters around a concept rather than a mechanic but we definitely use the mechanics to enhance our character's effectiveness and survival), and the glancing blow rule turns meets-AC hits into half-damage. Which... eh. I'd be for it if our group was struggling in encounters more, but we're really not and it would make more sense for us to make the enemies more lethal, not less.

On 3/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, Kishi said:

Alternity sounds an awful lot like Harnmaster to me. Lots of marginal success, marginal failure isn't the end of the world, and your supposedly competent characters can die with, just, so little effort.

It can be a pretty big change, and it requires a certain amount of sadistic glee to play, but it can be fun with the right crowd.

7 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Like the various Warhammer tabletop systems, only without the B-movie style hyperviolence? 

WRT optional rules: They're proposing a "glancing blow" optional rule in my 5E game I'm not a huge fan of mainly because I feel like 5E already does D&D with kid gloves on (seriously, our poor GM has to give us encounters that are CR4-5 levels above us to give us any kind of challenge for minibosses and our boss battles typically have CR6+ above our level - though that could just be because my group is, with the exception of one of the guys, a bunch of engineering and math nerds who damn near get hives at the idea of purposefully building a suboptimal character because most of us are exactly that kind of nerd who finds reverse-engineering and exploiting the statistics of the game system fun - we'll still build our characters around a concept rather than a mechanic but we definitely use the mechanics to enhance our character's effectiveness and survival), and the glancing blow rule turns meets-AC hits into half-damage. Which... eh. I'd be for it if our group was struggling in encounters more, but we're really not and it would make more sense for us to make the enemies more lethal, not less.

I will post a giant dump of thoughts on this and numbers run for it, possibly tonight.  It's intended to be mid-range lethal and the characters are at least supposedly competent.  Would be interested in hearing all of your thoughts on it :-)

Workout stuff: Stretching + pushups + kettelebells done today:  Total is now 67

Food stuff:  yesterday was treat day and I had some junk chocolate.  It was good.  Food today is good so far.  Bringing an apple and PB for a snack to hangout night.  Dark chocolate and Greek yogurt were at acceptable levels.

Sleep stuff:  read more Barakamon before bed.  It continues to be funny and sweet.  I've just caught up to the end of the anime.

Vacation stuff:  listening to some Delain, one of the opening bands that I do generally like but haven't really archive binged yet.

• Like 4

Since they recently released a video for this song and will be on tour together, I'm hoping to head Under Grey Skies live.  That would be fantastic.

• Like 1

Delain and Kamelot! Awesome. Highly recommend all of we are the others. Their other stuff varies in tone a lot, but in a similar way to Kamlot's new stuff: the newer music is mostly darker and less orchestral. If you like metal as workout music, Suckerpunch is very good.

I've also found that daily workouts like pushups come and go, quality wise. Have you found there's a particular time of day that works best for them, or is it whenever there's time?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tils said:

Delain and Kamelot! Awesome. Highly recommend all of we are the others. Their other stuff varies in tone a lot, but in a similar way to Kamlot's new stuff: the newer music is mostly darker and less orchestral. If you like metal as workout music, Suckerpunch is very good.

I've also found that daily workouts like pushups come and go, quality wise. Have you found there's a particular time of day that works best for them, or is it whenever there's time?

Suckerpunch is great.  The Gathering and We are the Others have been on playlists for some time.  They're a good matchup for a tour.  Also alike in that they seem to handle member changeouts like reasonable adults. 

Yeah.  Afternoon/evening is good.  Morning workouts and I do not go overly well.  Just gets me less sleep.

Workout stuff:  done.  20 reps today.  Total: 87 for the week

Food stuff:  very god food, but I unexpectedly had to pile on the calories later in the day to make sure I had a reasonable amount.  That is not normal for me and I'm a bit concerned.

Sleep stuff:  done.  Not that I managed any extra sleep this weekend :-/

Vacation stuff:  just listening to more music.

Game was very tense today, between a severe time crunch with the full group and very difficult content attempted with a partial group.  Ended up with shoulders would up tense trying to make sure everyone stayed standing.  Not so much fun today and now my shoulder hurts even more.  Bleh.  Off day.

See you sound like such a nice DM. Most of the DMs I know pretty much don't care whether we live or die. They're perfectly happy to give us rope to hang ourselves with. And for our part, we're pretty good at tying the noose. :D

I know what you mean about food struggles. I'm having to backload a bunch of calories at the end of the day since I took up fasting again, and... well, it does me a concern.

30 minutes ago, Kishi said:

See you sound like such a nice DM. Most of the DMs I know pretty much don't care whether we live or die. They're perfectly happy to give us rope to hang ourselves with. And for our part, we're pretty good at tying the noose. :D

I know what you mean about food struggles. I'm having to backload a bunch of calories at the end of the day since I took up fasting again, and... well, it does me a concern.

This was in FFXIV, not my game.  I'm the (cranky salty excessively swearing directionally challenged) healer so it's literally my job to keep them standing.  That said, I don't really do trivial character death in my games either.  If they die, it's either in an epic glorious way or the player wants to change out their character.    My friends tend to get pretty deeply invested in their characters and I'm not messing with that.  Or the ship they redesigned and painstakingly modified, including the ship plan I'd provided.  I swear they spent more time on that than their characters!   But that's more the sort of game we play in general.  

Yeah,  understood.  The macros ended up pretty solid though.  How are you doing with it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Teirin said:

How are you doing with it?

Oh, so far so good. I'm more concerned about how much salt I'm getting from the restaurant food. But on the other hand, I'm naturally hypotensive, so a little bit of tension might just do me good. :D

• Like 1

Workout stuff:  done, 20 reps today. 

Food stuff:  Ok, but not done.  I had a bit much dark chocolate to call it good*.  All other food was good.

Sleep stuff:  Read before bed, so done, but I don't think that the book is overly suited to pre-bed reading.  Or possibly me.  Will give it another few chapters.

Vacation: ordered some concert earplugs and another Feliway cartridge to keep the kitties calm in my absence.

*So I didn't sleep much last night.  I got maybe 3-4 hours.  Nothing was wrong, I just didn't sleep.  So the dark chocolate got me through the day with reasonable productivity. 

Wish the holiday was Monday instead.  Losing the last shipping day of the month is not great.

Anyone have any advice for the concert?  This will be my first one bigger than a local bar show.

14 hours ago, Teirin said:

Anyone have any advice for the concert?

If there's a mosh pit, don't get in the mosh pit.

If you get in the mosh pit, judo. :)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

If there's a mosh pit, don't get in the mosh pit.

If you get in the mosh pit, judo. :)

Mosh pit probability is low, should be fine thanks :D  Possibly some mild to medium squishing.  I think I'm ok with that.

I got rescued by the fruit bowl today.  The last batch of muffins did not freeze well and were remarkably unappetizing.  I was getting really hungry at work and the only other thing I had on hand was chocolate, intended for the rest of the week.  But the office fruit bowl was full and I could get a banana instead!  Much better choice.  Also possibly making new muffins tonight.

Good article from Nia:  https://www.niashanks.com/eating-in-moderation/

Workout stuff: Done.  22 reps today, so 42 total this week

Food stuff:  done.  Was a close call though :-P

Sleep stuff:  not done.  Did not read before bed last night.  Slept better though.

Vacation stuff:  nothing today.  Need to get the other flight booked soon.

It's a Gojira sort of a day.  Blue Oyster Cult too.  Veteran of the Psychic Wars came up in my playlist and reminded me that I need to listen to more.

• Like 1

Today is apparently treat day.  Quarter end is tomorrow and everything went pear-shaped today.  Seems to be sorted but it's not all finished yet.  Stayed late and need to get in early tomorrow.  I'm going to shift today's exercise to Friday since I will be off that day.  Need some R&R tonight.  A kitty appears to need my lap as well :-)

• Like 2

Work was good and high energy and very draining.  I got home wanting to eat the simplest possible thing that could be considered an actual meal.  By half design and half luck, the simplest food was throwing frozen veg in a frying pan with pre-cooked chicken and a bit of rice, lots of garam masala and soy sauce.  I will call that good.

Q1 is over.  I will be all manner of lazy this weekend, except for workout.

No pushups or kettlebell today.

Read more financial advice before bed last night.  Not entirely sure I should be counting this?  But it's not stressful and I am reading before bed.

New Kamelot!  I am ridiculously excited about the concert!

• Like 1

Workout stuff:  done.  25 reps today.  67 total so far this week.

Food stuff:  not done.  General food is good but the sugar intake is not good, as befits Easter weekend.

Sleep stuff:  done, barely.  Crashed hard last night and didn't read much.  More financial advice and some campaign setting stuff.

Vacation stuff:  flight home is booked.  Did not manage to get a sale on that one but booked before the shorter term price increases. 

• Book hotel
  • Book flights
  • Train ticket from Ottawa to Montreal? - will pick up at time of departure.  they run frequently, or I'll catch a bus.
  • Slightly reschedule vacation time
  • check out other things to do in Montreal -   Found that a nearby Archaeological museum will have an exhibit on Queens of Egypt around then. Also some general wandering around and touristy stuff.
  • Borrow a friends theft-resistant purse* - might get my own as my existing purse is now disintegrating. 
  • Budget some spending money - next pay.  Everything else is paid for though.

I also checked in on an appropriate subreddit and got some advice on going to the concert.  I like knowing roughly what to expect.  My Kamelot album pre-order has now shipped.  Should have it in a week or so?

Would kinda like to see these guys live too.  Maybe from a balcony though. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 6:40 PM, chemgeek said:

Having been to a few concerts: Earplugs are good. Concerts are painfully loud to me usually.

Yep, my experience with large concerts is limited but this seems like a smart plan.  My ears ring every now and then already.

Workout stuff:  done today.  25 reps today.  93 total for this week.

Food stuff:  not done.  I think I reached "Eating like an asshole" status.  Lots of veg at least.

Sleep stuff:  done, barely again.  Sleep was better. 

Vacation stuff:  most things are sorted. 

Missed pushups and kettlebell yesterday.  It was a busy day and I was lazy when I wasn't busy.  There was also drunken anime later.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Food stuff:  not done.  I think I reached "Eating like an asshole" status.  Lots of veg at least.

I mean, just because you're over, it doesn't follow that you have no choice in how you get there. They can be quality calories too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

I mean, just because you're over, it doesn't follow that you have no choice in how you get there. They can be quality calories too.

Yeah, I'd hesitate to call that eating like an asshole. Maybe eating like a mildly inconsiderate great-aunt whose heart is in the right place.

• Haha 4