Jump to content

jstanlick refines the process


jstanlick

Recommended Posts

On 3/30/2018 at 2:10 PM, jstanlick said:

As it stands right now, I can avoid the drugs and be in better shape by eating and exercising this way. So, I will be spending some time educating them on what diabetes actually is and isn't this holiday. Wish me luck!

 

Yeah I understand. I don't understand why some people think the best solution isn't to fix up your diet but to just go straight for drugs! And why is our culture so tied around eating vast amounts of terrible food at any excuse? (that's me projecting my own bit of soul searching form Easter). Good luck with the ln-laws

  • Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post
19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good job  at keeping to your goals. I'll have to try Swerve. I use Truvia, which is a mix of sugar and stevia.  It's expensive too, but I figure that just keeps me from making sweets too often. Yesterday I just used plain sugar, and  the cravings hit me much stronger then. Next time I will use Truvia or Swerve 

Hmm, Truvia seems to be just a tad cheaper than Swerve. I might have to give it a try. I tried Swerve after reading Mark Sisson's write-up on it over at the Daily Apple.

 

15 hours ago, Xena said:

 

I consider you a serious running type. Shorter and faster is absolutely just as valid as longer and slower. You've been clocking some great times!

That's very nice of you! When I look at the distances you and some other folks around here run I am humbled. I do enjoy trying to reduce my times and running more sprints than longer distances. But, that's partly because I'm not great at the longer distances and partly because I am often short on the time required to run them. 

 

7 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

 

Yeah I understand. I don't understand why some people think the best solution isn't to fix up your diet but to just go straight for drugs! And why is our culture so tied around eating vast amounts of terrible food at any excuse? (that's me projecting my own bit of soul searching form Easter). Good luck with the ln-laws

I was watching a program on BBC America that underscores this. But, for the life of me I can't remember the name. Maybe someone out there knows. Anyway, there was an English gentlemen traveling the Northeastern portion of the US by rail. He was trying out different foods and attractions the area was famous for and when he came upon Buffalo has had to visit the original bar and grill that spawned Buffalo Chicken Wings. After giving the whole origin story, he ordered some with a pint. They brought him out this tray filled with wings and he said, "Only in this country would this be considered a medium portion." I'm glad (and a bit sad at the same time) to find out ridiculous portion sizes is not just a thing in the US.

  • Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post

Yesterday was a good day on the exercise and fiber front. Not so good on the low carbs. Well, lower than most people, but not low enough to hit my goal for the day. My muscles are a little sore from yesterday's workout. A good sore and not so bad that its painful just to move. Just enough to remind me that I made my body work yesterday.

 

On another front, it appears that the family's ability to outrun the plague this year has come to an end. Boy #1 has a confirmed case of the flu. Boy #2 woke up this morning complaining about similar symptoms. Girl #1 and my wife leave tomorrow for a choir trip to the East Coast (DC, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg). So, the family doc has ordered prescriptions of Tamiflu for the entire family. Man that stuff is expensive! She wanted my wife and daughter to get the script because they will have difficulty seeing a doctor while traveling. I tried to protest that I didn't need it since I haven't had any symptoms. She looked me straight in the eye and said, "You're going to be the care giver of 2 kids with the flu and you have diabetes. Take the prescription. Also, stop fussing about your numbers so much. If you get sick, they'll go up regardless of what you do." Grrr. Stupid disease. I mean, I don't disagree with the doc, but I don't have to be happy about it.

 

Also, the boys are very bummed out about not being able to go to grandma's house during Easter vacation. So, this should be fun. Hopefully, I can still stay on track with my challenge goals. Worse case, I won't be at work and I've switched on-call with someone else at work to be at home with the boys. There may be numerous superhero movies on the docket for the next couple of days.

  • Like 3

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

She looked me straight in the eye and said, "You're going to be the care giver of 2 kids with the flu and you have diabetes. Take the prescription. Also, stop fussing about your numbers so much. If you get sick, they'll go up regardless of what you do." Grrr. Stupid disease. I mean, I don't disagree with the doc, but I don't have to be happy about it.

 

I love that it's like she knows you :D 

 

Is it a choir trip to perform or a sightseeing trip? 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Poor boys, sorry about their missed tie with grandma. Hope you don't get the flu too, though the Tamiflu is supposed to cut it short if you do.

  • Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to post
37 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

 

I love that it's like she knows you :D 

 

Is it a choir trip to perform or a sightseeing trip? 

 

Yeah, we've known each other for a long time. Her daughter and mine were in the same class from K5 through 8th grade. They're good friends and have been doing lots of stuff together for years. She's been the kids' doctor since they were born and my doctor is one of her partners in the same clinic. So, she knows I tend to think of prescriptions as a last resort. So, she cut me short before I even got a chance to get going. She's not dumb :D

 

It's mostly a performance trip. My wife is chaperoning. They do have a few excursions for some sight seeing, but let's be real. 3 hours in DC is not much time to see a lot. Although, they are doing a dinner cruise/tour thing on the Potomac. That seems pretty cool to me. They are performing at some celebration on the battlefield at Fredricksburg and something else at colonial Williamsburg. And they are finishing off the trip with some time at Busch Gardens before hoping back on the buses for their 19 hour ride home. The theme for the choirs this academic year has been War & Peace. All of the music they've worked on has revolved around that theme in some way, the school musical was Les Miserables and the trip is related to that as well.

  • Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post
16 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Poor boys, sorry about their missed tie with grandma. Hope you don't get the flu too, though the Tamiflu is supposed to cut it short if you do.

Grandma and Grandpa will be disappointed as well. They keep getting older and I imagine it won't be too many more years down the road before they want to do more stuff with friends than spending time with their grandparents. My understanding is the Tamiflu is supposed to prevent the virus from replicating so it can work really well if you get diagnosed early enough before the virus has had time to multiply a bunch. So, hopefully, Boy #1 has the worst of it. It's amazing how much better he's feeling after 1 day of the Tamiflu and an increased dosage of ibuprofen. He's pretty laid back and doesn't let stuff get to him, so with most of the pain and fever taken away he can ignore the rest and be closer to his normal self.

  • Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post
2 hours ago, jstanlick said:

I was watching a program on BBC America that underscores this. But, for the life of me I can't remember the name. Maybe someone out there knows. Anyway, there was an English gentlemen traveling the Northeastern portion of the US by rail. He was trying out different foods and attractions the area was famous for and when he came upon Buffalo has had to visit the original bar and grill that spawned Buffalo Chicken Wings. After giving the whole origin story, he ordered some with a pint. They brought him out this tray filled with wings and he said, "Only in this country would this be considered a medium portion." I'm glad (and a bit sad at the same time) to find out ridiculous portion sizes is not just a thing in the US.

 

I'm not going to lie, you guys defiantly take it to the extremes. Not that I've ever complained about it when eating out because doggy bags :P That's not really a thing in Europe. Sorry to hear about your kids getting the flow. I hope you manage to dodge it with the Tamiflu. 

 

 

  • Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post
22 hours ago, jstanlick said:

So, the family doc has ordered prescriptions of Tamiflu for the entire family. Man that stuff is expensive! She wanted my wife and daughter to get the script because they will have difficulty seeing a doctor while traveling. I tried to protest that I didn't need it since I haven't had any symptoms. She looked me straight in the eye and said, "You're going to be the care giver of 2 kids with the flu and you have diabetes. Take the prescription. Also, stop fussing about your numbers so much. If you get sick, they'll go up regardless of what you do." Grrr. Stupid disease. I mean, I don't disagree with the doc, but I don't have to be happy about it.

 

That's interesting!  We have had two doctors tell my wife and son not to worry about Tamiflu because it's only for the elderly and kids under 2.  We live in a more medically conservative place (Boulder, CO), for sure, where wholistic medicine is much more the norm.  It's hard to watch them suffer with it, and it seems like the doc was spot on about you being the caregiver.  I've been in that situation for the past ten days, first with my mom, then with my son, and now with my wife.  It's rough!  Hang in there!

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Link to post
On 4/3/2018 at 2:13 PM, jonfirestar said:

 

I'm not going to lie, you guys defiantly take it to the extremes. Not that I've ever complained about it when eating out because doggy bags :P That's not really a thing in Europe. Sorry to hear about your kids getting the flow. I hope you manage to dodge it with the Tamiflu. 

 

 

I heard the local morning DJ's sum it up this way once, "It's America, where we want what we want, we want a lot of it, and we want it now." I laughed, gave it some thought, and then got pissed off that they were right.

 

On 4/4/2018 at 11:35 AM, mediaguy99 said:

 

That's interesting!  We have had two doctors tell my wife and son not to worry about Tamiflu because it's only for the elderly and kids under 2.  We live in a more medically conservative place (Boulder, CO), for sure, where wholistic medicine is much more the norm.  It's hard to watch them suffer with it, and it seems like the doc was spot on about you being the caregiver.  I've been in that situation for the past ten days, first with my mom, then with my son, and now with my wife.  It's rough!  Hang in there!

 

giphy.gif

Wholistic medicine? Around these parts some folks might be more likely to call it witchcraft. I've tried numerous different doctors over the years and only more recently have they been more tolerant to my "What about lifestyle changes?" challenges to their ideas. And by tolerant, they let me finish talking before they go back to their thing. I kinda like the sloth. Seems more appropriate to @Sloth the Enduring's thread, but I'm keeping him anyway :P

 

 

On 4/5/2018 at 9:01 PM, Xena said:

Hope you are still plague-free!

I am! Tamiflu has worked well at keeping the flu from progressing in the boys and keeping the other 3 of us, flu free. Although, Tamiflu has the fun side effect of giving you an upset stomach. Which makes it hard to stick to your low carb nutrition plan when all you feel like eating is comfort food i.e. stuff that isn't great for you but tastes absolutely delicious! I could really go for some pizza or mac and cheese.

 

At least the boys are feeling better now that their Easter break is almost over. They are now healthy enough to go to school on Monday and get infected by other kids. WOOT! :ambivalence:

 

And my wife and daughter seem to be having a grand time in Virginia. I told them they are not allowed to complain about the weather. I don't care how cold and rainy it was in Williamsburg today, it was not single digit wind chills when they woke up. Hell, the high temperature today here was 20 degrees below normal. But, they found an 18th century coffee house and had fun. I went for a run to get the most out of my ColdGear. Sadly, I can still use it and be glad to have it. I think the dog is the only member of the family that's happy it hasn't warmed up yet. I might agree with her if I was forced to wear a fur coat everywhere I went as well.

 

I've been busy dealing with the kids, but still have managed to keep rocking the workouts. The diet has gone over on carbs a few days, but I have been hitting more of the fiber goals. Seems very hard for me to hit both on the same day. Oh well, the blood sugar numbers are starting to look better again after what I consider an upwards blip at the start of the week. Probably the body fighting of viruses. Well, back to the kiddos. Doesn't sound like they're getting ready for bed as they were told to do.

  • Like 6

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post

I'm glad the boys are feeling better. The flu is not a fun thing to get. 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post
5 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm glad the boys are feeling better. The flu is not a fun thing to get. 

I'm glad they're better as well. I'm even more glad their mother and sister are getting home from their trip today. I have a newfound respect for single parents. Not that I ever thought it was a walk in the park. Man! Not being able to team up on activities and having to do everything for your kids, house, job by yourself and still trying to achieve other goals is no easy endeavor! Just trying to get to the grocery store is exponentially more difficult than before.

  • Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post

I have not done a great job keeping this up to date. And, to be honest, this "refining the process" is not going the way I had planned. Leave it to life to not go as planned :D

 

I think, for the most part, what I'm doing in terms of diet is not any different than before with the exception of the increase in fiber. The foods I'm logging in MFP are all ones that were there a month or so ago. What I'm doing for exercise is more planned out and being executed better than before. The bathroom scale validates this as the proper progress and the narcissistic side of me says the mirror agrees. However, the blood sugar levels seem stuck and they even climbed up a little bit from where they were at. This is not the trending direction I was looking for, and I'm a bit confused as to why. It would be convenient -- and who knows, maybe even accurate -- to blame the higher levels on the presence of the influenza viruses in my home and/or the presence of the Tamiflu in my system. However, I'm currently showing no signs of symptoms at all and yet I can't seem to get these numbers under 100 consistently anymore and over 100 was the outlier a few weeks ago. Mind you, these numbers are all considered in the "normal" range for a diabetic and well below the "we need medication" levels. But, seeing them go up is freaking me out a little. Hopefully I can get them back down again soon, otherwise I need to dig deeper into the data and look for other patterns.

 

Challenge stats after 3 weeks:

  • < 100 g/day carbs: 15/28
  • HIIT 3x week:18/24
  • >30 g/day fiber: 9/28
  • Strength training 2x/week: 14/16

As you can see the exercise is slightly ahead of schedule still and the carbs per day isn't great, but only missing 6 points with a holiday and sick kids thrown in there is something I can live with. The rough one is the increased fiber. That's even with using a fiber supplement the last week. So far, each week has had at least one day of penalty points that have canceled out other good days. Not that the 12 points would be that great, but it would be better. So, I currently stand at 56 points. Putting me squarely above the FAIL line of my goals as long as I don't have a week with more than 5 penalty points. I still can achieve an 'A' on this challenge according to my original goals and grading if I pull out a big week. Not a bad place to be in. 

  • Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post

Seems reasonable to me that the Tamiflu would affect your blood sugar, as well as your body trying to fight the flu.

FIber, maybe try making sure you get veggies at every meal, dark chocolate is high in fiber, just go 80% or more, Flaxseed is higher in fiber and not super high in carbs

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to post
22 hours ago, jstanlick said:

only missing 6 points with a holiday and sick kids thrown in there is something I can live with. The rough one is the increased fiber. That's even with using a fiber supplement the last week. So far, each week has had at least one day of penalty points that have canceled out other good days. Not that the 12 points would be that great, but it would be better. So, I currently stand at 56 points. Putting me squarely above the FAIL line of my goals as long as I don't have a week with more than 5 penalty points. I still can achieve an 'A' on this challenge according to my original goals and grading if I pull out a big week. Not a bad place to be in. 

 

I think that being chill with your results is always fine, as long as you keep striving to improve.  Your fiber and sugar goals look great and you're improving, so so what if there's a little hiccup with the sick family (I'm with you on that one!) and the holidays?  You don't need to report here to have improvements.  Just keep on hanging in there!

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Link to post

I just plugged avocado in to MFP 100 grams has 7 grams of fiber! Very delicious way of upping your fiber count

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to post

How do you think the rest of the challenge went? 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post
On 4/9/2018 at 1:42 PM, Elastigirl said:

Seems reasonable to me that the Tamiflu would affect your blood sugar, as well as your body trying to fight the flu.

FIber, maybe try making sure you get veggies at every meal, dark chocolate is high in fiber, just go 80% or more, Flaxseed is higher in fiber and not super high in carbs

Ahh, the dark chocolate...mmmmmm. It is one of my go to foods for when I have a craving for something sweet or need more fiber. The downside upside is that I usually have a small square each night. I tend to go with an 85% cacao bar from Lindt.

 

On 4/9/2018 at 9:12 PM, Xena said:

 

Cut yourself some slack on this one. You've been super busy taking care of your family.

Thanks! It has been quite the frenetic pace lately.

 

On 4/10/2018 at 11:12 AM, mediaguy99 said:

 

I think that being chill with your results is always fine, as long as you keep striving to improve.  Your fiber and sugar goals look great and you're improving, so so what if there's a little hiccup with the sick family (I'm with you on that one!) and the holidays?  You don't need to report here to have improvements.  Just keep on hanging in there!

Good! Cuz otherwise I've failed miserably :P I've still been plugging away but had to prioritize stuff to keep getting stuff done. Updating here got pushed down the priority scale a little.

 

On 4/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, Elastigirl said:

I just plugged avocado in to MFP 100 grams has 7 grams of fiber! Very delicious way of upping your fiber count

It sure does! Plus, healthy fats and they taste delicious! I have begun buying them in bulk and not yet ripe because of the amount of them we go through.

 

On 4/16/2018 at 4:12 AM, jonfirestar said:

How do you think the rest of the challenge went? 

Um, not bad. I'll give a full report in a minute, but taken in the whole, I achieved some things and made progress in others. I think for the next challenge I need some goal around letting things go and not obsessing about the little things. I preach it to the kids I coach that they don't have to be perfect, just keep trying to get better. I guess I need to listen to my own advice :D

 

  • Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post

Let's jump right to the scores:

  • < 100 g/day carbs: 21/28
  • HIIT 3x week:24/24
  • >30 g/day fiber: 13/28
  • Strength training 2x/week: 18/16

That gives us a grand total of 76 out of 84 thanks to 1 extra strength training session and no penalty points this week in the fiber category. I didn't hit the goal every day this week, but I also didn't have any days bad enough to incur penalty points. That leaves me 1 point short of an 'A' grade. Given the "unforeseens" (sick kids during a vacation week that suddenly wasn't a vacation, realizing that coaching basketball and track while being a Cub Scout den leader takes up waaaaaaaayyyyy more time than I anticipated) that popped up this challenge, I'll take it. The advantage of this miserable weather and being forced inside for track practice is that I was able to get in all of my HIIT training and weight training by doing circuits and hitting the weight room at the school with the boys.

 

I did pretty good with the carbs and even the fiber was higher amounts than the last challenge goals. Just not quite enough for the step up I shot for with this challenge. That's alright. I'm a firm believer that if you hit all of your short term goals easily, then maybe you should have set higher goals.

 

According to the scale, I'm down 10 pounds since the start of the year and 26 pounds since October 14th of last year. 26 pounds in 7 months has got to be better for my joints and will hopefully prolong the amount of time I can keep running. Plus, it's not a bad birthday present to end this challenge knowing that you're now 46 years old and you haven't been at this weight in nearly 3 decades. That's got to be a good thing, right? Well, except that none of my pants fit, my belt is running out of holes to hold the pants up, and I've got to stop being a cheapskate and buy some new clothes. Other than that, it's gotta be good. Plus, it is soooooo much easier to keep a faster pace running without having to carry that extra poundage along with me as I go.

 

The one downside to this challenge is that the blood sugars have not been as good as I had hoped. They have stopped going down and have climbed up a bit. On the plus side, they've started going back down slightly this week. I'm hoping it was due to the Tamiflu or whatever effort my body was expending fighting off the viruses in my house. Even though I didn't have any symptoms, I'm guessing that's just because I got the Tamiflu early on before those nasty's replicated enough to overwhelm my immune system. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I'm trying to listen to the doctor for a change and not obsess about those numbers.

  • Like 4

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post
41 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

Let's jump right to the scores:

  • < 100 g/day carbs: 21/28
  • HIIT 3x week:24/24
  • >30 g/day fiber: 13/28
  • Strength training 2x/week: 18/16

That gives us a grand total of 76 out of 84 thanks to 1 extra strength training session and no penalty points this week in the fiber category. I didn't hit the goal every day this week, but I also didn't have any days bad enough to incur penalty points. That leaves me 1 point short of an 'A' grade. Given the "unforeseens" (sick kids during a vacation week that suddenly wasn't a vacation, realizing that coaching basketball and track while being a Cub Scout den leader takes up waaaaaaaayyyyy more time than I anticipated) that popped up this challenge, I'll take it. The advantage of this miserable weather and being forced inside for track practice is that I was able to get in all of my HIIT training and weight training by doing circuits and hitting the weight room at the school with the boys.

 

I did pretty good with the carbs and even the fiber was higher amounts than the last challenge goals. Just not quite enough for the step up I shot for with this challenge. That's alright. I'm a firm believer that if you hit all of your short term goals easily, then maybe you should have set higher goals.

 

According to the scale, I'm down 10 pounds since the start of the year and 26 pounds since October 14th of last year. 26 pounds in 7 months has got to be better for my joints and will hopefully prolong the amount of time I can keep running. Plus, it's not a bad birthday present to end this challenge knowing that you're now 46 years old and you haven't been at this weight in nearly 3 decades. That's got to be a good thing, right? Well, except that none of my pants fit, my belt is running out of holes to hold the pants up, and I've got to stop being a cheapskate and buy some new clothes. Other than that, it's gotta be good. Plus, it is soooooo much easier to keep a faster pace running without having to carry that extra poundage along with me as I go.

 

The one downside to this challenge is that the blood sugars have not been as good as I had hoped. They have stopped going down and have climbed up a bit. On the plus side, they've started going back down slightly this week. I'm hoping it was due to the Tamiflu or whatever effort my body was expending fighting off the viruses in my house. Even though I didn't have any symptoms, I'm guessing that's just because I got the Tamiflu early on before those nasty's replicated enough to overwhelm my immune system. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I'm trying to listen to the doctor for a change and not obsess about those numbers.

 

Congratulations!  That's awesome news :) . I hope to follow in your footsteps....

 

  • Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Link to post
2 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

 

Congratulations!  That's awesome news :) . I hope to follow in your footsteps....

 

Thanks! I've still got a ways to go myself.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines