Anim Squirrels in the Attic

Anim07734

The terrain was settling into known patterns again and Anim was once again seeing progress.  New obstacles continued to make it an uphill journey, however, and it was time to adjust his methods to counter them.  Current conditions also required that he split is focus to complete other tasks.

With enough time spent planning, it was time to act.

I've been taking it easy the past couple weeks while I try to figure out how I want to move forward.  But after answering a workout question today, I have a good plan to maintain my workouts while switching my focus at home to redoing my attic while it's still cool enough to be up there.  I live in Florida and we've already been getting 80F days, so time is short to get those projects done and hopefully cut my power bill for the summer.  I need that money for costuming. :playful:

Goals:

5 Workouts per week - The plan is strength training Sun/Tue/Thu, running/sports Mon/Wed/Fri.  I can afford to skip one per week, but anymore than that and I start to slip.  Plan is described here, if you're interested.

Handstands 3 times a week - I keep saying I want to get a solid handstand, but never seem to prioritize it.  So here we go.  Starting with 3 times a week, 5min each, since that's all my wrists can handle atm (early stages of carpal tunnel and arthritis in both, yay!).  Hoping to increase the frequency as I rebuild the habit.  I'm going to plan this as part of my warmup for strength training, but may have to do it other days depending on how things go.

Cook twice a week - I keep making excuses to delay cooking and sticking myself with shitty meals because I "still have time later this week."  So I'm going to increase the requirement and see how things go.  Goal subject to change, if necessary.

Fix the attic - If you've been following my project list, you might have seen the list of stuff I have to do in my attic.  Now that Pensacon is past, I've got time to focus on it, but limited time before Florida makes it unbearable to be in.  So priority projects are removing the current insulation, cleaning everything (dirt and debris, scrap wire, etc), making repairs as necessary (mainly the skylights), and installing new insulation (correctly this time).

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Handstand practice is 5min of practice, not 5min inverted.  I'm currently only getting a total of 30-40sec inverted during that time, but wrists can't handle any more than that right now.  Part of the goal is to strengthen them so they're less likely to get injured in the future though, so I'll be sticking with it, but going slow.

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Last week was a mediocre performance.  Cooked twice, but skipped all of my strength workouts and only did two handstand sessions.  And only manged to remove insulation from a third of the attic so far.  Once that's done I still have to clean everything, repair/seal any holes/leaks, fix the skylights, and prep for the new insulation.

Only bright side is that I found out my power company offers up to 1500$ for updating your insulation.  Still need to find out how much I can get for my house, but that would cover most of the material cost for this project.  So that's another task for this week, since it has to be approved before I buy anything.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 10:11 AM, Anim07734 said:

Only bright side is that I found out my power company offers up to 1500$ for updating your insulation.  Still need to find out how much I can get for my house, but that would cover most of the material cost for this project.  So that's another task for this week, since it has to be approved before I buy anything.

Score. Hope that works out, home improvement is pricey. 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

No luck on getting help from my power company, that program ended last year and they just left it on their website to taunt me. :playful:  I can still afford it, I was just hoping to get someone else to pay for this project so I could spend my money on something else (like tree removal).

This week is going better than last, so far.  I've cooked once and done 3 workouts with 2 handstand practices.  Attic work is slow going, but I'm making progress.  Really looking forward to getting all of the fiberglass out though so I can quit wearing that stupid suit...  Apparently "one size fits most" means "barely large enough for a skinny 5'6" guy and if he lifts his arms the sleeves will pull away from his gloves and/or tear."  Oh, and it doesn't breath at all.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 9:20 AM, Anim07734 said:

Apparently "one size fits most" means "barely large enough for a skinny 5'6" guy and if he lifts his arms the sleeves will pull away from his gloves and/or tear."  Oh, and it doesn't breath at all.

That sounds.... not like one size fits most. What sort of demographic were they using? Sad to hear the program didn't work out, but grats on goal progress. Did you get time to work on the fiberglass this weekend? 

Another mediocre week.  Only cooked the once, 4 workouts and 2 handstand practices.  I'm about 1/3rd of the way through removing insulation.  Didn't get any done this weekend, because that's the only time I can see my GF.  Really need to just suck it up when I get home from work and get the fiberglass removed.  It's already getting too hot in my attic and I need to get this done before I have to deal with summer temperatures up there.  And the A/C bill for a summer without insulation...

I've almost got all the old insulation out, just one more bedroom to go.

Of course, I just found some nice water damage to the junk room ceiling, so that drywall's going to have to be replaced.  And I have to change my plan for insulating that section to keep it from happening again.  The roof is even lower in the problem section, so the previous insulation kept the roof from breathing and condensation looks to have rotted the drywall.  I didn't see any wood damage, but I'll be doublechecking when I remove the drywall to replace it.

It also means I can't just blow insulation into that area, like I was planning, and will probably instead be doing spray foam in that spot, since it seals the roof and doesn't require as much material to get the same insulation values.  Of course, it also costs a lot more...

I love how these projects always seem to snowball out of control. :playful:

On 4/6/2018 at 2:18 PM, Anim07734 said:

Of course, it also costs a lot more...

I love how these projects always seem to snowball out of control. :playful:

Pretty sure that's Murphy's Second Law... projects will always cost more and take longer than expected. Making progress, though!

• Like 1