Murphy's Roommate Kicks the Tires and Lights the Fires

Well folks, it is about that time.  I've got to get to another country, half my stuff or more is in those loveable cardboard boxes, and we are entering into the endgame on this move.

My boss has cut me loose on more or less my own recognizance, letting my do all the administrivia that attends moving over seas, as well as make Tai Chi most days.  It has been a tremendous windfall and pleasure, training with folks over the last few days.  Great to find the more martial aspects of Tai Chi.  Training with a former Golden Gloves boxer who now does Tai Chi is amazing.

I am returning, slowly, to my very successful metabolic reset and follow on "eating healthy things because I like them" meal plan.  The cross country drive and subsequent flight back were not helpful in eating well. 

Objectives:

Pack the House - the Purge Must Occur!

Get a Realtor

Do Tai Chi - as Often as Possible

Back on the Band Wagon - Eat the Tasty Things!

3915850.jpg

Zippo Time.

- Magic Man!

P.S.  For anyone confused by the title/meme, this references to taking off in a jet, which I felt was apropos to the theme.

• Like 1

Following.

One of my big regrets is that I will never see a F-14 fly.

(And ignoring the little problem that there are no F-14's in Independence Day)

541642481.jpg

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

I don't think I have ever seen an F-14 in flight either.  I have seen the F-18, and most of the USAF inventory.  It is all loud and impressive.

The house packing and Tai Chi have been going adequately well.  I am reaching the transition point between "careful, precise packing" and "shove it in there, I'll figure it out later.

In other news, we had our last game night at my house, and took the monster gaming table apart today.  That was a great group in a great location.  Criteria for my next house (may be another 5 years or more before I buy again, but I know what I am looking for now) includes a big living room or similar for gaming.   No hiding in the basement - front and center as I am a Nerd!

- Murphy's Roommate

The saga continues.

Donating a car today, then sending another one on a cross country road trip.  This will get rid of about 8000lbs of vehicles, so that counts for moving, right?

Today and tomorrow will be organizing and sorting days, Thursday will see my household goods out the door, and Friday will see a lot more paperwork get done.

This moving stuff is hard!

- Murphy's Roommate

The mystery of moving continues.  My father departed this morning in my gunship (large sedan, large engine, really, really comfortable) to make the cross country drive - in his 70's.  I continue to be impressed by his resiliency and how he achieves it.  Living in New England and heating the house with wood he cuts, moves, and splits himself.  That was a 4700 pound sedan out of my driveway, and my old Suburban (bought for a pittance in a McDonald's parking lot - puking coolant I may add) was just donated to Goodwill as it went from fun to sketchy as hell.  I enjoyed swapping the coolant pump, and replacing a t-junction in the coolant system that kinda sorta spontaneously failed going up a hill, but finding that a 2x4 provided structural rigidity to the drivers side door was a bridge too far.   Thus, donated to charity that can part it out and make a few bucks on it.  I couldn't in good conscience sell it.

I finally got my taxes done - that was a vision quest with the pros.  I "diversified" (makes me sound like I'm a smart guy with money, I wish, I just put a few bucks into Lending Club) and that caused them all sorts of confusion.  An hour and a half later (and half a book) and they charged me about half my tax refund.  At least I am legal before I roll to Korea. 

Tomorrow the movers come for the small amount of household goods I send to Korea with me.  The rest goes into a POD.  So the rest of tomorrow is packing like I mean it.

Friday, I get to convince people their process is inadequate and to let me start leaving.  I only have to re-assure them that all the paperwork I had to give the person who sits next to them (literally) to start the process has not magically vanished into the ether.  I look forward to being their boss's boss's boss's boss and ending the stupid they suffer through, as they know it is stupid as well.  I can dream.

Sigh.

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

Hold my beer....

I got a 16 foot by 8 foot by 8 foot POD filled with my junk.  I offloaded hundreds of pounds of stuff on my buddy to hold for me.  And now I have a dumpster showing up tomorrow.  Yep, we are transitioning into the dumpster fire stage of the move!

I am extremely comfortable with this.  

Went to my last Tai Chi class in Colorado Springs tonight.  Great group of people, I'll miss them.  Time to keep moving forward.

Now all I have to do is finish emptying my house, ensure my remaining stuff fits in my suitcase, drop off my remaining storage unfriendly items with my friend, finish setting the realtor up for success, and then blow this popsicle stand!

Whee!

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 2

If I ever need to empty this house the dumpster will be my first action.  And your friend must really like you. When are you moving?

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

-Marcus Aurelius

So proud of your accomplishments. Moving is not an easy task, and you have persevered. Keep posting as you start your new adventure in a new location. Have you thought about how you will Tai Chi in your new location? Will it be on your own? With guided youtube? In a class in your new location?

Ha-ha!  The assassins failed again!  Oh, wait, wrong conversation.

I have successfully moved to Korea, I have a room, my work is sorting itself out, I have a cell phone, and internet.  Truly, there is not much else to be had in life!  Perhaps in a month I will work on my international drivers license, but not right now.  

Campbellmc22 - 

Tai Chi will be something I have to sniff out.  Someone will know someone who knows where, and I just have to ask around.  I am still learning my work load, it may turn out that all I do is maintain what I have learned and work umpteen hours a day.  I'm very okay either way.

Jakkals - 

I don't have many friends.  The few people I call friend are the type of people who answer the phone in the middle of the night and then arrive with a shovel.  Storing my stuff for a year or so is no big deal.  

Operation Dumpster Fire is complete, the dumpster was picked up a few days ago according to my realtor.  It was a ten cubic yard dumpster, and I filled it to the brim.  This means we are close to complete for the cleaning portion, now onto some home improvement then put it on the market!  In other words, I am fully moved out and coordinating the last bits that have to be done through the realtor.

It is kind of weird, all of this commotion usually has a different impact on me.  Perhaps because I am older and more steady now, and it all happened so fast, I don't feel much of anything about all this change.  It was much harder to leave my dog than leave my house.

You may all expect more frequent posting from me now that I am properly back online.

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 2

I have been rather busy since the last update.  Moving into my room is a work in progress, some stuff is looking good, some stuff remains in a state of entropy.  Tomorrow is likely to be laundry day, so at least that makes sense.

Beyond that, I have reconstituted my kitchen to a limited extent by simply buying all the things.  Good news is I can afford it, bad news is I've had to reinvent to wheel out here.  I'll be getting a proper cast iron skillet today or tomorrow, as I tried cooking on a cheaper pan I bought today and it was frustrating.  Cooking bacon shouldn't take 15 minutes.  This is good news however, as I am weaning myself off of using the microwave and the food court as my primary sources of calories.  

I have about another week to get my feet under me, then work will be a rocket sled on rails, it will be all me.  That's fine, I learn fastest when thrown into the deep end!

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 3

Your whole life sounds like "thrown in at the deep end" right now. I'm amazed at how you are responding to all of these big changes with resiliency and openness to the adventure of it all. It's pretty inspiring, actually.

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

Julie - 

This is just the stuff that isn't work related - that is a whole separate ball of chaos!  

I'm working on getting back into good habits, my sleep became a bit of a mess lately, but I'm getting back on track.  That time zone shift just jumps up and smacks me every now and again.  If I stay busy, all is well, if I get a lull, I get out of sync.  On the dietary side, if I eat another frozen pizza, I'm going to have to change my species to frozen pizza...  Ugg, looking forward to getting to a grocery store and eating something that hasn't spent most of its life frozen.  Never thought I'd want a salad this badly.  That will be tomorrow I hope.  

We are going through a major effort at work that will more or less consume 12+ hours a day for the next few weeks.  After that, there is a Crossfit gym within walking distance, and I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and check them out.  If they have good culture (technique over reps, no blatant buffoonery) I plan to take the good with the bad and go with it for at least a few months.  I need to make some friends at work that are fluent in Korean and have them find a Tai Chi place for me to try as well.  Google is not being super helpful in that respect.

Well, off the the races again!

- Murphy's Roommate

I have never in my entire life seen a frozen pizza.

Plans. What is that?

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

-Marcus Aurelius

Jakkals - 

Frozen pizza is a staple in American supermarkets.  A full pizza, the crust partially cooked, the cheese unmelted, you take it out of the plastic wrapper, slide it into the oven, let it cook, and then there you go!  We also have a lot of smaller frozen pizzas, that you can slip into a microwave and heat up in a few minutes.  Very convenient food, very unhealthy food.  Tight correlation between the two.  

And yes, plans are essentially useless, but planning is essential (some American general said that years ago).  If you do a good job planning, then when your plan comes apart at the seams, you know what you have to work with to pull everything together on the fly.

Onwards and sideways!

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1