• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian: Verticality, Brachiation and Armaments

Assassins-Creed-Rogue-Shay-Climbing.jpg.

This challenge I'm going to put more time and energy into workouts that are fun but challenging, and less into the ones that bore me and feel like taking my medicine. 

I've been playing Assassin's Creed games and watching Ultimate Beastmaster, and the weather is turning to spring so I can play outside. I'm going to climb, swing, and fight like some sort of super-ape that is ... also an assassin? Sure, that's a thing.

For those just tuning in: I am a middle-aged librarian writing my first novel (I have written lots of professional nonfiction that has insufficient sex and violence and heists in it). I take kickboxing classes. I have a low-rent Ninja Warrior jungle gym in my back yard. I have a thing for rogues, thieves and assassins.

GOALS:

Brain:

• Write 500+ words every day
  • Meditate every day
  • Work on one long-term project or annual goal at work every day (I have a bunch of these, including applying for promotion to Associate Professor this year)

Body: 4 workouts per week, a combination of:

• Hanging/monkey bars based workouts with upper body and core work
  • Climbing or bouldering
  • Kickboxing
  • Suspension strength routine
  • and substitutions permitted

I'm putting less emphasis on cardio this challenge, not because I don't need it (I do) but because one of my long-term goals is improving my arm and core strength, and I want to intentionally make some room for that this challenge. I've been doing elliptical and rowing, and they're both good for me but they're dull as hell.

Climbing has slipped off my radar again. I think that's because it requires me to go interact with other human beings to get a belayer, instead of just doing my own thing like I prefer to do most of the time. I can boulder solo, however, so that's no excuse -- all I have to do is check out shoes at the equipment desk.

One-off goals to be accomplished during this challenge:

• Put up monkey bars in backyard gym
  • Make or get a weapon analog (staff, practice sword, something else) and try it in a workout (h/t @Happienumber)

I haven't been good about goal tracking lately. I'll try to post a running tally every day or nearly so. The scorecard looks like:

• Write (X/7)
  • Meditate (X/7)
  • Work projects (X/5)
  • Workouts (X/4)

CLIMB. SWING. FIGHT.

• Like 4

Things you will probably hear about if you follow this post:

• I'm already freaking out a little about a talk I am giving in June
  • I need to start working on some costumes for a con in May
  • What non-meat things am I chucking into a crock pot
  • Like 3

I LOVE THIS CHALLENGE!

ALL THE FUN THINGS!

Also, I just started reading Alcatraz versus the evil librarians. Made me think of you. :) 

• Like 1

Woo! Hi! I've seen you around lots, but don't think I've ever been in on one of your challenges.

So yeah. Hi n stuff.

What's the talk you're giving in June? Platform session? Poster? Other? What's your time allotment? I have a panel at the end of April that I need to stop procrastinating about...

Academic promotion is the most frustrating thing in the world (assuming that's also the case where you are). I submitted my packet to go up for Associate myself in October. Now I sit around and twiddle my thumbs for six months until hearing back from the committee. Such fun!

I feel like there's a lot of re-assessing and re-focusing going around the challenges right now. Not focusing on stuff that you don't like or find boring seems like a great opportunity to do that.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I LOVE THIS CHALLENGE!

ALL THE FUN THINGS!

HIII BUD

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Also, I just started reading Alcatraz versus the evil librarians. Made me think of you. :) 

I didn't even know about this book! Somehow.

4 minutes ago, sylph said:

Woo! Hi! I've seen you around lots, but don't think I've ever been in on one of your challenges.

So yeah. Hi n stuff.

HI! We've definitely at least cross-talked on other people's threads? Glad to see you!

What's the talk you're giving in June? Platform session? Poster? Other? What's your time allotment? I have a panel at the end of April that I need to stop procrastinating about...

I am keynoting a small local library conference. 45 minutes, just me on a stage. I've done this sort of thing before and it freaks me out every time. Unlike previous occasions I DON'T GET TO SKIP TOWN AFTERWARDS though (I have some really fun anxiety problems that you'll also hear about from time to time THIS IS ALL FINE)

Academic promotion is the most frustrating thing in the world (assuming that's also the case where you are). I submitted my packet to go up for Associate myself in October. Now I sit around and twiddle my thumbs for six months until hearing back from the committee. Such fun!

Yep! That's about our schedule too. I submit in November, I'll get word in spring and if successful, it'll go into effect next July 1. (We are NTT, but our promotion requirements are not totally unlike tenure -- research/service/etc.)

Good luck! What do you teach?

I feel like there's a lot of re-assessing and re-focusing going around the challenges right now. Not focusing on stuff that you don't like or find boring seems like a great opportunity to do that.

Yeah! It feels like the time to step back and see what I want to do going forward. I had a really fun workout yesterday, just me and an aggro fighty playlist and a couple of punching bags, and getting on the elliptical afterward just felt like a slog. So that's when my challenge plan kind of clicked.

Just now, raptron said:

What are you being in May? :D 

I am being a Jedi and/or a swashbuckly gentleman thief of some sort. Maybe not both -- but I want to get one of the two together for May and finish the second one by Dragoncon on Labor Day. Jedi will take more sewing and (if I build a lightsaber myself) construction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

(I have written lots of professional nonfiction that has insufficient sex and violence and heists in it)

Well clearly, this is just a problem with your work environment. Employees need to negotiate for their sex, violence and heists-- management doesn't just hand those over!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I am being a Jedi and/or a swashbuckly gentleman thief of some sort. Maybe not both -- but I want to get one of the two together for May and finish the second one by Dragoncon on Labor Day. Jedi will take more sewing and (if I build a lightsaber myself) construction.

I meant to multi-quote this but failed. 

*build the lightsaber yourself!!* you can do it! I'm probably going to be building a second one sometime during this challenge (not for my challenge, but I'm trying to find a super simple way to go about it to make some with my Code Club kids at the library for Star Wars day, so i'm going to be brainstorming and troubleshooting stuff, I'll let you know any insights I gain.)

12 minutes ago, tei_ said:

Well clearly, this is just a problem with your work environment. Employees need to negotiate for their sex, violence and heists-- management doesn't just hand those over!

Shit I really need to get better at negotiating!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

*build the lightsaber yourself!!* you can do it! I'm probably going to be building a second one sometime during this challenge (not for my challenge, but I'm trying to find a super simple way to go about it to make some with my Code Club kids at the library for Star Wars day, so i'm going to be brainstorming and troubleshooting stuff, I'll let you know any insights I gain.)

I'll definitely be more likely to try if there's a super simple recipe. :) I'm thinking Jedi is more likely to wait until September con since it'll take more work anyway.

I have a librarian friend who's OBSESSED with Star Wars (more than me) and does SW Day in a big way at her library every year.

20 minutes ago, tei_ said:

I work for the state -- they're way too uptight about some things.

I think I'm mostly going to be feeding myself (not my partner too, she's working long hours and eating at work a lot) over the beginning of next week, so I'm trying to come up with something easy to cook over the weekend. I'm too tired to decide what I even like right now....

Did not make it to the gym this afternoon, but I did write and meditate. If I go to KB tomorrow as I plan to, that'll be three workouts this week.

HI! We've definitely at least cross-talked on other people's threads? Glad to see you!

I am keynoting a small local library conference. 45 minutes, just me on a stage. I've done this sort of thing before and it freaks me out every time. Unlike previous occasions I DON'T GET TO SKIP TOWN AFTERWARDS though (I have some really fun anxiety problems that you'll also hear about from time to time THIS IS ALL FINE)

Keynote! That's exciting. :) the local bit, less so. I like presenting way better when it's a huge group of people that I'll never have to see again...

Yep! That's about our schedule too. I submit in November, I'll get word in spring and if successful, it'll go into effect next July 1. (We are NTT, but our promotion requirements are not totally unlike tenure -- research/service/etc.)

Good luck! What do you teach?

Yeah! It feels like the time to step back and see what I want to do going forward. I had a really fun workout yesterday, just me and an aggro fighty playlist and a couple of punching bags, and getting on the elliptical afterward just felt like a slog. So that's when my challenge plan kind of clicked.

I'm not tenure track either (thank goodness). I'm on the clinical track, so while I have research/service/teaching responsibilities, at least I don't have to publish a bazillion peer-reviewed papers every year. (only like half a bazillion)

2 minutes ago, sylph said:

Keynote! That's exciting. :) the local bit, less so. i lik epresenting way better when it's ahuge group of people that I'll never have to see again...

You feel me 100% then. :) 

2 minutes ago, sylph said:

I'm not tenure track either (thank goodness). I'm on the clinical track, so while I have research/service/teaching responsibilities, at least I don't have to publish a bazillion peer-reviewed papers every year. (only like half a bazillion)

Yep, we have some clinical NTT faculty here too. They and we librarians are the two main groups; I have to explain it to regular faculty every time it comes up and they're like "Huh! I've never even heard of that." 

Okay, have done kickboxing -- how can something so difficult be so fun? I got the instructor to show me what I've been doing wrong completing my round kicks, so I have a thing to work on in my form (when I finish my kicks I've been having to take a second to recover my balance and it's not very smooth). That's three workouts this week -- I wanted to get to 4, but it'll do.

It is a beautiful spring afternoon here -- it rained earlier but has stopped -- and we've got all the windows in the house open. It looks like I won't get around to installing monkey bars today, but if tomorrow's weather holds (looks like it might after all) then I may be able to do it tomorrow.

I'm making homemade pizza with salad for dinner and I've got stuff for sesame noodles with mixed veg and tofu to cook tomorrow for weekday lunches.

Have not yet written, but have meditated. I'm going to go write shortly.

We are discussing whether it's feasible to put a heavy bag somewhere in the house.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Okay, have done kickboxing -- how can something so difficult be so fun?

The difficulty is what makes it fun. :) 

I'm making homemade pizza with salad for dinner and I've got stuff for sesame noodles with mixed veg and tofu to cook tomorrow for weekday lunches.

We are discussing whether it's feasible to put a heavy bag somewhere in the house.

I thought this said "stuffed noodles" and I was like... How does that work?

And yes. Heavy bag yes. Even if you have to share your kitchen with it lol.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The difficulty is what makes it fun. :) 

Honestly, I think you're right. I'm enjoying challenging myself lately :)

5 hours ago, Happienumber said:

I thought this said "stuffed noodles" and I was like... How does that work?

I don't know, but I definitely want some stuffed noodles now because that sounds delicious.

5 hours ago, Happienumber said:

And yes. Heavy bag yes. Even if you have to share your kitchen with it lol.

I think we can avoid that. :) We have a front porch that would have room if we clean up some stuff.

SO. Today I spent an hour doing yard work, and then went to work on the monkey bars. The bars I have just aren't going to fit -- I was planning to put them up with screws and flanges, and they're just slightly too long to fit. I'm going to plan B, which is to get some longer bars, drill holes in the frame big enough for the bars to fit, and do them that way. Don't worry, I'll take pictures to show everyone what I'm talking about. :)

Bonus: Relevant to our recent conversation, I piled up some of my scrap lumber from previous construction and I definitely have enough small scraps lying around to put together a knife throwing target. (GOOD THING I NEVER CLEAN UP AFTER MYSELF.) I'll just need to pick up a couple of small pieces at the hardware store next weekend to attach it all together.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I don't know, but I definitely want some stuffed noodles now because that sounds delicious.

Y’all need ravioli. 

KNIFE THROWING TARGET. Badass. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tei_ said:

Y’all need ravioli. 

QED

2 minutes ago, tei_ said:

KNIFE THROWING TARGET. Badass. 

A set of throwing knives is seven dollars on Amazon. This is DEFINITELY a good idea and will not end up with me bleeding

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

A set of throwing knives is seven dollars on Amazon. This is DEFINITELY a good idea and will not end up with me bleeding

Pro tip - the pointy end goes away from you.