• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I need to know the exercises to invest in for each major muscle group.

Also, when do you stop a excercise set? When you feel pain or past a certain point of pain? I try to keep going through pain but then I feel like the force is so strong I have to stop.

Why settle for just one muscle group?  The most effective lifts for building strength use more than one muscle group, for example, the squat.

I'm sure I'm not the only here who is happy to offer suggestions, but it would be easier to do so if you can give some detail about what your goal in the gym is. For example, is the goal to lose weight or to get stronger? 

13 minutes ago, wildross said:

What do you mean by "pain"?  If you are having pain, you are probably doing something wrong.  

And here I was trying to be nice and not bring that up until later. :P

But you're absolutely right. Working out shouldn't hurt while doing it.

And here I was trying to be nice and not bring that up until later.

But you're absolutely right. Working out shouldn't hurt while doing it.
Being nice gets people hurt too

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Like I always say, don't try to program for yourself as a novice. Do a "cookie cutter" premade program that tells you what lifts to do and how to go about progressing them. Once you've got a bunch fo time under the bar adn tap the program out, then you'll probably have learned enough about yourself to make some decisions.

On 3/17/2018 at 8:48 PM, scalyfreak said:

Why settle for just one muscle group?  The most effective lifts for building strength use more than one muscle group, for example, the squat.

I'm sure I'm not the only here who is happy to offer suggestions, but it would be easier to do so if you can give some detail about what your goal in the gym is. For example, is the goal to lose weight or to get stronger? 

get stronger, get muscular, look closer to my age(I look young for my age).

Simple enough. And compound lifts seem to be more effective for that, which target more than one muscle group at a time.

You still haven't clarified what you mean with "stop when you feel pain or past a certain point of pain". As others have said, if you experience pain while lifting, that's a signal that something is wrong, and continuing to lift at that point could lead to injury.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:35 PM, wildross said:

What do you mean by "pain"?  If you are having pain, you are probably doing something wrong.  

More like pressure then, or swelling?  I tend to do every set of machines workouts to 12-15 reps or failure, not just the last rep.

The weights I do is bench press, decline dumbbell press, a couple arms....I even have this method I use where I can put my arms on each side holding dumbbells and stretch outward from the side like a eagles spreading wings or pull the weights upward to straight in front of me. It seems to work well for my shoulders certainly.

Also, most of the machines are weighted. the leg press requires adding traditional weights for instance and most of the back machines. A lot of them have weighted bars though.

3 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Simple enough. And compound lifts seem to be more effective for that, which target more than one muscle group at a time.

You still haven't clarified what you mean with "stop when you feel pain or past a certain point of pain". As others have said, if you experience pain while lifting, that's a signal that something is wrong, and continuing to lift at that point could lead to injury.

Kind of like when you get a shot, that kind of pain.

Starting this week I did this

Monday and Thursday-Chest and arms.....shoulder only Thursday.

Tuesday and Friday-Legs and back

On 3/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, Will35 said:

Kind of like when you get a shot, that kind of pain.

I think you're describing "sharp" pain, which is the bad kind. Where are you feeling it and during which exercises? It typically points to a form issue that can result in injury.

No it's not a sharp pain. It's like a sting, and it is usually where I am working out. I think  the word I was looking for was "sore".

I have done some alterations these last few weeks. I tried something of Bradley Martin's but they were upper chest and arms only. Now I am trying some Jeff C workouts and this is what he's offered in his YT videos for my chest and arms. I always get burnt out doing legs the way I am doing them, so I don't feel I need help there. (hope it's not against the rules mentioning that).

I did notice though that I actually was getting a better feel from the pectoral flies and possibly I may have been too quick moving up the weights. Same with chest press. Because today I could feel the chest responding to both workouts. My arms definitely benefitted more from even those chest AND arm exercises of Jeff's.  Possibly I did not have the right form. But I cannot live on two chest exercises. I did learn something though.......

bench presses don't cut it.  Jeff C made me realize how much time I was wasting bench pressing. So I am hoping that maybe now something will start taking off, especially since I am working out my main five muscle groups twice a week now.