Today I competed at the Subfighter No Gi Spring Challenge.  It's a local tournament here in Orange County. I spent the bulk of the morning sitting there being nervous. Finally, my division is called.  

I step on the mats and I'm able to wrestle the guy down. He manages to scramble and get on top half guard. I try to work a sweep, but got smashed down and ended up losing by kimura.

The second match went a little better.  I got in trouble at first with a guillotine choke,  but managed to get out of it. I threatened a straight achilles that he later admitted that he wanted to tap. He probably slipped out.  He was able to take my back and sank in a rear naked choke.

Battle Log |Current Challenge: Better Late Than Never| Previous Challenges: 1 | 

instagram: @gambitbjj | Winner of the Harry Potter PVP Challenge: House Ravenclaw

Kettlebell Swings 18 kg

10 Two Handed

10 Two Handed

10 Two Handed

10 Two Handed

10 Two Handed

10 Two Handed

10 Right Handed

10 Left Handed

10 Two Handed

10 Two Handed

Turkish Get Ups 8 kg

1x10 

It was my first time just focusing on kettlebells for my strength and conditioning. I like it, it was fun and I really feel it in my legs and buns.  

Jiu-Jitsu (Gi) - 1 Hour

After a 5 minute rest, I put my gi on and trained with the rest of the Jiu-Jitsu class. The techniques of the day included a single-leg takedown and working back to guard from side control.  I've had experience with the single-leg takedown and just so I have it noted if I go back and read this...

Single Leg Takedown

- Keep your opponent's leg trapped between your legs.

- Keep your head on the inside of your opponent. Outside presents your opponent with an opportunity to choke you. 

- Use your head to drive into your opponent's hips to bring them down. 

- To defend, put swing your leg on the outside of your opponent's leg and kick downward as if starting a motorcycle.

Working Back to Guard

- Get the elbow into the side of your opponent. 

- With your underhook, "admire your hair" and turn your hand out so the palm is against your opponent's bicep.  This creates a frame and allows you to make space where you can insert your knee. 

I felt my knee turn without the rest of my leg, which isn't a good thing. I'll be sure to wear my brace tomorrow for no gi. Especially when we'll be doing some leg locks.   

Battle Log |Current Challenge: Better Late Than Never| Previous Challenges: 1 | 

instagram: @gambitbjj | Winner of the Harry Potter PVP Challenge: House Ravenclaw